• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#51 lord

lord

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 931 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:57 AM

Okay, Battle Beasts weren't called Battle Beasts in Japan were they? Does the Japanese name on the packaging literally mean or translate Battle Beast? I don't really know myself, as I'm not a big Japanese Battle Beast enthusiast.

If not than Hasbro only had the rights to the English name Battle Beasts, and Takara probably still owns the likenesses.

So it's possible that as Bermuda brought out that these could be nothing more than Battle Beasts in name alone.

Battle Beasts in Japan were sold under the Beastformers name. So this was a different name.

DST announced that they now owned the brand. The question is do they owned the brand as a name or the brand as a complete toy line ?

The more I think of it the more I'm sure that they owned more than just the name. And I could even imagine a japanese release of this new line. The Japanese market is totally in love with small figures and specially the Kubrick or Minimates ones. Now with or without Takara ? That is the question.

Edited by lord, 28 July 2009 - 12:58 AM.

#52 Donkeykid77

Donkeykid77

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts!

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:35 AM

Guess we'll have to wait and see what comes up next.
More beasts and better pictures wouldn't hurt...
( unless they're as crappy as I'm fearing they'll be... B) )

DK.

PS To Dabbuu, the hands are in a loose non grip like position;
hands on battlebeasts are in tight grip like position.
The first looks kinda woosy to me... ;)
Integre navigo, sic itur ad astra.

#53 phillinley

phillinley

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:55 AM

I think you missed the point entirely.
Everyone has the right to their own opinion. Yours is just wrong.

Awwwww crap too slow to post.... that was at you phil

Nah I think you missed the point. I was clearly stating in earlier posts that no one's going to win this argument because we're arguing over opinions about the aesthetic look of a figure. Also, it was someone else earlier in the thread that said those negative nancy's (paraphrasing) should keep their opinions to themselves. To which I took issue because we are all entitled to voice our opinion.

Finally, you are 100% wrong on my opinion being wrong. My opinion of the figure is that it sucks. That is not wrong. What would be wrong is to say my opinion of the figure is that it is awesome. Because that would be a false representation of my opinion. Now you could say my opinion sucks, or that you disagree with my view based on your perception of the figure, but not that my opinion in itself is wrong. Because you couldn't possibly be inside my head perceiving first hand my opinion on the subject.

Getting away from all this nonsense, let's bring up a new question. Say they decide to branch out and make two separate lines. Firstly the minimates style, and secondly, a re-release of some of the high number lasers (that is if they have access to the molds). This could be a commemorative set, small two packs, whatever. Question is, which would you prefer, a straight repack with the exact same colors, weapons, etc? Or repainted figures or rehashes with new weapons, style of orb, blah blah blah. Basically would you prefer to see the exact same figures, or want there to be enough of a difference that the demand will be there, but the awesomeness of the vintage line won't completely take a dive by it being available as it was in the 80's to everyone all of a sudden.

Personally, I would hope for the latter. Getting a full set of LB's has been the holy grail of many a collector, and I'd say that doing so is more difficult than completing any of the major lines like star wars, gijoe, he-man, etc. The stuff just doesn't show up too often, and almost every piece is very expensive. I myself only have a king buster as a high number LB, but I still would love to see the original line left pristine and have repaints if they'd ever go that route.

#54 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:05 AM

There is certainly no right or wrong here, unless you're predicting the success of the line (eventually a right answer will arise).

Reading the posts it seems like some people are surprised that people either like or dislike the figures. I see it being similar to when Ultimate MUSCLE came out for MUSCLE collectors. Some people were excited and loved it, while others thought they were steaming piles of turd (can you guess which one I thought? B) ).

If there is a universal bright side, then it would be that prices will rise – so it's a good time to sell BB's. And more original BB product will hopefully appear, possibly even rare stuff, as more people dig out their BB stuff.

As for seeing commemorative sets, LB's, or anything like that – don't hold your breath. The line would have to be an unmitigated success of stunning proportions.

#55 phillinley

phillinley

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:18 AM

As for seeing commemorative sets, LB's, or anything like that – don't hold your breath. The line would have to be an unmitigated success of stunning proportions.

Really? If they had access to the molds, wouldn't it be fairly inexpensive to make a commemorative set? Especially if they could just put it out to Diamond and sell it through etailers and comic shops? Now I'm still not sure I'd even like the idea of them doing it, but it couldn't be that much of a financial risk? I'm only asking the question because heman, gijoe and transformers have all done re-releases similar in the past, and figured if it made money for them, it might do the same here.

#56 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:47 AM

I'm only asking the question because heman, gijoe and transformers have all done re-releases similar in the past, and figured if it made money for them, it might do the same here.

Those are three of the all-time biggest toys, all with TV shows and movies. This isn't meant as a knock on the quality of Battle Beasts but they probably aren't even close to the top 100 all-time. They'd be luckey to be top 100 of the 80's.

#57 phillinley

phillinley

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:18 AM

:p I googled that at soon as I saw your post. The only thread I could find was super broad and included all toys. (so broad it had Transformers in the 40s and HeMan in the 50s) But I agree with the first assessment on top 100 all time. Of the 80's as well. But of boys action figure lines, it's definately in the top 100 all time. Then again, that's narrowing down the field. Even then, some would argue they were just a subset of Transformers and not worth their own place. Bah, I'm babbling to myself now. Good point veers :)

#58 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:29 AM

On the other hand, there have been plenty of toy lines that were revisited recently that could be argued to be on the same level as Battle Beasts. Monster in My Pocket, Ultimate Muscle, and Madballs come to mind. I'm sure than none of them would be in the top 100 toy lines of all time.

#59 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:52 AM

Actually I think if there is enough difference between 2 consecutive lines of the same name they would deserve their own place. Like MOTU, MOTU20XX, and MOTUC. Or Transformers G1, TF G2, Beast Wars, etc. Most any TF lines after Beast Wars could probably be grouped together, since 90% of the crap released after 2000 were just repaints or retools of old and new figures.

But that's really off topic isn't it. :p

Anyways, my expectations of a future Battle Beast line was that they would be close to 3" inches tall, and have some form of articulation. In fact I have always wanted a Gi-Joe scaled battle Beast line with the same articulation style. Keeping the retro characters and designs, but making them in scale with each other, and keeping a scaled build considerate of the animal. Hasbro was the only company who could have done this, and made them sell well if not better than the original. That's the problem with everyone. They think a relaunch has to be the same as the original in most respects. I honestly wouldn't have been impressed with new sculpts of old figures if they didn't have better articulation. Dangit Hasbro! The possibilities you passed up! :)

Posted Image

#60 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:39 AM

On the other hand, there have been plenty of toy lines that were revisited recently that could be argued to be on the same level as Battle Beasts. Monster in My Pocket, Ultimate Muscle, and Madballs come to mind. I'm sure than none of them would be in the top 100 toy lines of all time.

And those were all overwhelming successes. :)

#61 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:42 AM

Here is a question for you to think about.

If these were not Battlebeasts, but rather a new line of mini-mates, would your opinions be different? Would you collect them?

#62 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:14 PM

Here is a question for you to think about.

If these were not Battlebeasts, but rather a new line of mini-mates, would your opinions be different? Would you collect them?

Off of my first impression, I wouldn't even give them a second thought, as I have not for even the coolest looking Minimates figures.

Posted Image

#63 lord

lord

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 931 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:31 PM

You're right here. Re-launching the line with re-release of the high end laser would be a very bad idea. You can't make a line coming back with the things that failed years ago. Never a toy company will do such a thing. If you have to sell commemorative it would be of popular figures. In our case it would be Pirate Lion and others characters from the Serie 1. Seriously who cares here ? We all already have the figures from Serie 1. Re-release of high end laser would be a possibility but only if the line is a success and then we can dream of such commemo in some kind like Con exclusives. The mass market doesn't care about Lasers. Look at the MOTU commemo or the first TF reissues. They were all popular characters that collectors already had in their collection.

I personnaly doesn't want re-release of existing figures 'cause they already exist. I have the feeling that some members here expect a re-launch to be able to complete their vintage collection. This is not the goal of a re-launch. SW, MOTU, TF, GI Joe, to name just the major lines, re-launches have never helped directly collectors to complete their vintage collection. The main goal of a re-launch is to bring new items based on a old line. All the modern toys named here are differents from their vintage parents. I want new figures and more than that I want my childrens been able to buy them in toy stores by themself like I had done years ago. If the BB had to come back in the same way than MOTUC (ie online sales only) I would be happy but I would be more if they had mass market release.

There is one thing I don't understand. When Gormiti was launched a lot of you saw them as a good equivalent of the BB. But they were unarticulated and don't wear any kinf of armor. What if the BB come back in the Gormiti form ? I'm personnaly happier to see them in Minimates' form than Gormiti's. Saying that DST is doing the "worse looking product based on the line" is just too much for me. It could have been worst. I just can't imagine a BB line of 6 inches figures with modern style. Such a thing would have been too far from the original line. The DST gator has all the quality (even if it's not perfect) I was hoping for a re-launch. We have to consider that we will never retrieve the feeling we had with the vintage BB 'cause we are no longer kids. If you want to retrieve this feeling you had to go back in time.

#64 cassel87

cassel87

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:10 PM

i like the face. could end up being really cool. kinda exciting. tickles me inside. anyway, u think toy designers or people that work for toy companys are reading this thread? i mean, this is like the number one online place to meet little rubber guys.
if my turtles ate my toys, id have to eat my turtles

#65 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

just getting into knife making.

blade of the immortal is my master.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:33 PM

i wonder if these toy companies ever check out the toy forums when they're looking for a new good idea. with the recent inrush of fresh lrg properties (bb mini mates and handful of heroes) i wonder if any of the "executive minds" at those companies have lurked on this board.

if i encounter the demons in hell, i will kill them all..

vi veri veniversum vivus vici.

#66 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:09 PM

I'm sure, we have had a number of times where voice actors, writers, etc.. have stopped in and even participated in the boards a little.

We are also the premier online forum for 2 highly memorable toy lines of the 80's, and alot of these people were kids or teenagers in the 80's themselves. So any interest would ultimately lead them here, especially with regards to private research.

Posted Image

#67 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts
  • Interests:A little info on me I am a pretty big Forgotten Realms fan, I love R.A. Salvatore books. I love dragons! Lord of the Rings, Star Trek "Borgs Mostly", Battle Beasts. I love playing on the Computer, Fixing, Designing and just about everything with them. I collect Quinton Hoover Magic Cards, and artwork of him. Also some other favorite artists Greg Horn, Al Rio and Frank Cho and spending time with my wife and three daughters.

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:24 PM

Okay, Battle Beasts weren't called Battle Beasts in Japan were they? Does the Japanese name on the packaging literally mean or translate Battle Beast? I don't really know myself, as I'm not a big Japanese Battle Beast enthusiast.

If not than Hasbro only had the rights to the English name Battle Beasts, and Takara probably still owns the likenesses.

So it's possible that as Bermuda brought out that these could be nothing more than Battle Beasts in name alone.

No the Japanese name is Beastformers "Beast Former". Nothing in there name translates to Battle beasts. That is Hasbro's name. It is like White Leo that is his name in Japan. He was released as Pirate Lion in the US.

I am glad they are bringing them back but. But wow I am not impressed!

WhiteLeo

I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.

#68 phillinley

phillinley

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:13 PM

You're right here. Re-launching the line with re-release of the high end laser would be a very bad idea. You can't make a line coming back with the things that failed years ago. Never a toy company will do such a thing. If you have to sell commemorative it would be of popular figures. In our case it would be Pirate Lion and others characters from the Serie 1. Seriously who cares here ? We all already have the figures from Serie 1. Re-release of high end laser would be a possibility but only if the line is a success and then we can dream of such commemo in some kind like Con exclusives. The mass market doesn't care about Lasers. Look at the MOTU commemo or the first TF reissues. They were all popular characters that collectors already had in their collection.

No one was saying start out with only re-releases to relaunch the line. Just as an addendum later on if the line started to gain steam as a side release. And then, only as a hypthetical to see what people thought. I really doubt though that the market doesnt care about lasers compared to the series 1 beasts. They're just so cost prohibitive that most people don't even dream about buying them. There really were no uber popular character over any other. No He-man, optimus, snake eyes archetype that would be at the top of the list.

#69 cassel87

cassel87

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:36 PM

well... if any toyline designers or toy company bosses are reading this, i would love a job. i was almost the pirate lion contest winner 3 years in a row.
if my turtles ate my toys, id have to eat my turtles

#70 FANtomCore

FANtomCore

FANtom-2-da-Core/Conceptor/Scanner/Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, SD Battle Beasts, Laser Beasts, God Beasts, War Monsters, Beast Saga, Battle Beasts Minimates, Armorvors, Rise of the Beasts / MUSCLE, Ultimate Muscle, Kinnikuman.

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:31 PM

I think you missed the point entirely.
Everyone has the right to their own opinion. Yours is just wrong.

Awwwww crap too slow to post.... that was at you phil

Nah I think you missed the point. I was clearly stating in earlier posts that no one's going to win this argument because we're arguing over opinions about the aesthetic look of a figure. Also, it was someone else earlier in the thread that said those negative nancy's (paraphrasing) should keep their opinions to themselves. To which I took issue because we are all entitled to voice our opinion.

Finally, you are 100% wrong on my opinion being wrong. My opinion of the figure is that it sucks. That is not wrong. What would be wrong is to say my opinion of the figure is that it is awesome. Because that would be a false representation of my opinion. Now you could say my opinion sucks, or that you disagree with my view based on your perception of the figure, but not that my opinion in itself is wrong. Because you couldn't possibly be inside my head perceiving first hand my opinion on the subject.

Getting away from all this nonsense, let's bring up a new question. Say they decide to branch out and make two separate lines. Firstly the minimates style, and secondly, a re-release of some of the high number lasers (that is if they have access to the molds). This could be a commemorative set, small two packs, whatever. Question is, which would you prefer, a straight repack with the exact same colors, weapons, etc? Or repainted figures or rehashes with new weapons, style of orb, blah blah blah. Basically would you prefer to see the exact same figures, or want there to be enough of a difference that the demand will be there, but the awesomeness of the vintage line won't completely take a dive by it being available as it was in the 80's to everyone all of a sudden.

Personally, I would hope for the latter. Getting a full set of LB's has been the holy grail of many a collector, and I'd say that doing so is more difficult than completing any of the major lines like star wars, gijoe, he-man, etc. The stuff just doesn't show up too often, and almost every piece is very expensive. I myself only have a king buster as a high number LB, but I still would love to see the original line left pristine and have repaints if they'd ever go that route.

I think parts of the figures, like the feet and face look very battle beasts which i like, but the articulation of the arms are terrible and not battle beasts at all, of course DST is trying to make this new line there own with the minimates structure, i just think battle beasts arms should be as they originally are. I 'd rather be able to move the arms, up and down as oppose to side to side.

I'll be honest I'd hate to see a reissue of any battle beasts or lasers beasts, because i paid too much for my originals, reissues would downgrade the value. I'd be like yay and then awwe man.

Frankly I like the idea of a completely new BB toyline like the way they did MOTU 2002 toyline. That reimagining release is so much better because it allows for the originals to retain there value and for new collector's and old to start anew.
What I like to collect (click below)
Spoiler
"Every passion borders on the chaotic, but the collector's passion borders on the chaos of memories."
-Walter Benjamin

All toys came from the original One Toy :p

#71 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:28 PM

Imagine a Battle Beasts line sculpted by the 4 Horsemen. :)

#72 lord

lord

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 931 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:47 PM

Imagine a Battle Beasts line sculpted by the 4 Horsemen. :)

If you want that it already exists
Posted Image

But too far from the original BB line for me.

#73 phillinley

phillinley

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:22 AM

Imagine a Battle Beasts line sculpted by the 4 Horsemen. :lol:

If you want that it already exists

But too far from the original BB line for me.

I was going to get in this line but man, variant much? One animal each is enough. A herd of each animal is a bit crazy. Now I could buy just the best of each animal, but then, I have issues when it comes to completism, so that's out ;)

#74 dabbuu

dabbuu

Serious Collector

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 573 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:13 AM

More images of the awesome new battle beast

http://i.marvelousne...d...600&start=0

dabbuu
Posted Image

#75 Soupie

Soupie