Theme© by Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

It's March! (We all know what that means)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Personality #9

Personality #9

Suedehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts (I migrated over from the Beastformers boards), the sciences, Baseball (Huge St. Louis Cardinals fan) and of course, women.

Posted 01 March 2005 - 08:57 AM

Since it's officially March now, that means that spring is just around the corner, and that means that the weather is gonna start gettin' warmer here in the Northern Hemisphere...

So, if TGB could be so kind to share with us all here on the board as to what his plans are gonna be as far a molding/customizing etc. I think we would all be very thankful and happy to see what's on the table as far as what's gonna be available this spring or summer...

Also, if anyone else here on the board has plans that are nearing completion it would be cool to hear/see what else is gonna be out there. I know Koppensevelle and Orca have some customs bouncing around, Another Fan has been doing those kick-arse shield designs, and I remember Red Maurader posting that he had some plans and Lazzy Lizard's been keepin' himself busy as well...

Thanks for all the kick-arse customs and ideas guys! I wanna take the time to thank all of you for posting pics, and ideas of all your work! I personally look forward to hearing, seeing and even owning more of your guys' work!
Formally known as Artimus Prime

#2 deadguy

deadguy

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 09:13 AM

well i'm new to customizing battle beasts (but thanks to the work i see here i'm into like crazy), but i have about 10 custom heads made for things like gargoyles,dinosaurs, bugs, etc. i have one that is so near completion i'm getting giddy..kinda.. :angry: its a dinosaur with spikes on his back. i'm gonna make a mold of him before i show him off because i want to paint the cast not the origional. i'm dying to see what come sout of you guys this spring. i wouldnt mind owning some of the ones i've seen so far. glad someone recommended this place!

#3 Red Marauder

Red Marauder

Mild, Medium, or Extra Nerdy?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 10:13 AM

I've a kitbashing idea in mind for one Wyvern...including parts of Snake, Lizard and Bat...once that gets pieced together I'm going to see about mold making. The only problem is, I'm not sure where to go for mold-making stuff...
Preaching the depraved sermons given to us from the heavy metal gods!!!

#4 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 10:37 AM

I've a kitbashing idea in mind for one Wyvern...including parts of Snake, Lizard and Bat...once that gets pieced together I'm going to see about mold making. The only problem is, I'm not sure where to go for mold-making stuff...

Well,
BEFORE you all start talking about mold-making...a fair warning...you had better have about $2,000 for proper equipment/materials/safety equipment. You had better have a mentor that knows how to mold make and cast or you will end up spending a ton on equipment/supplies and you will waste it, get frustrated, and eventually give up.

I am NOT trying to discourage anyone, however, the tutorials on the net are NOT adequate. Most of them say absolutely NOTHING about SAFETY...the plastics I use (actually all of them I have ever used) are not for home use. They are not safe for your skin/lungs/organs...the ones I use are isocynates and if you get even a drip on your skin, in your eye, or you breathe the fumes...you will develope discensitization, chemical phuemonia, or organ failure...

I have a studio outside my home, with proper ventilation, proper respirator (w/special cartridges), and ALL the safety gear. I also had a mentor BEFORE I even attempted to mold make and cast.

Then you need the proper equipment...if you don't have $1,000 to spend on the proper equipment to de-gas the silicone (rid it of air bubbles) and pressurize the plastic...your pieces will be riddled with air bubbles and pimples from the shizznitty molds and the bubbles in the plastic... There is NO way around this... you MUST have the proper equipment.

Then there are ALL the other supplies...be ready for another $1,000 for comsumeables (latex gloves, shop towels, cups, stir sticks, plastic dyes, plastic, silicone, release agent, de-gaser, plastic gallon pails, cartridges/pads, etc...)

If you don't have a mentor...then plan on wasting $200 in silicone and plastic off the bat.

So...I guess what I am trying to say to all the customizers...please don't think that making molds & casting plastic is a weekend hobby that just anyone can do...it isn't that simple...and I am only fore-warning those that plan on trying BEFORE they spend a small fortune trying...

TGB

#5 koppenschevelle

koppenschevelle

Delta Chameleon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1109 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, Beast Saga, Battle Beast minmates, Armorvors, Hot Sauce, Tea, Pearl Jam, Films, Camers, Animals, Chameleons and lizards

Posted 01 March 2005 - 12:04 PM

I love Kitbashing and painting and all that that goes into making customs, but I don't think I could ever really dabble in mold making like Marty does.

For right now as far as customs, first off I want to fix the Ankylasaurus a bit. I think his body and everything works well, but there are three things I am going to fix over the next week or two on him. I found a smaller mace to use on his left hand, I am going to fill that crack on his tale, and I am probably going to switch to a darker color for the eyes.

As far as other customs, I have been batting around several ideas for some, but I haven't started any yet as I am seriously lacking extras to use as bases for the bodies. I need to pick up a couple of lots of figures without weapon or rub to use, but I just haven't had the time lately with just starting my spring semester just two weeks ago. Once I pretty much get settled into my classes, I plan on picking up as many Battle Beasts for customs as I can. Ideas that I am kind of bouncing around are more dinosaurs (Brontosaurus, Stegosaurus, Styraciosaurus), maybe attempting one of my dragons. If anyone has a particular dinosaur that they happen to really like, let me know and I could see what I can do.

Oh, and for me, March 1st means another big thing. Baseball is just around the corner. Spring Training games starts in just two days. Hey Artimus, go Cubbies!!!!

Eric

#6 Personality #9

Personality #9

Suedehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts (I migrated over from the Beastformers boards), the sciences, Baseball (Huge St. Louis Cardinals fan) and of course, women.

Posted 01 March 2005 - 12:37 PM

Oh, and for me, March 1st means another big thing. Baseball is just around the corner. Spring Training games starts in just two days. Hey Artimus, go Cubbies!!!!

Eric

Hey Koppenschevelle, Go Cards!!!!

#7 lazzy lizard

lazzy lizard

fiznucking chillin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Interests:love to collect all sorts of stuff mainly star wars(new & old), motu (new & old), glyos, beastformers, godzilla, and some 80's cartoons and tv show characters. love making customs too!

Posted 01 March 2005 - 12:53 PM

hey the both of you, GO SOX!!! :angry:

=)
AIN'T NO PARTY LIKE A BATTLE BEASTS PARTY CAUSE A BATTLE BEAST PARTY DON'T STOP!!!

VISIT MY CUSTOMS GALLERY>> http://www.littlerub...showtopic=17082

#8 koppenschevelle

koppenschevelle

Delta Chameleon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1109 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, Beast Saga, Battle Beast minmates, Armorvors, Hot Sauce, Tea, Pearl Jam, Films, Camers, Animals, Chameleons and lizards

Posted 01 March 2005 - 01:37 PM

Great, just what we need....a Sox fan!

#9 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 02:03 PM

Great, just what we need....a Sox fan!

Since I lived in KC, MO for nearly 10 years before I moved here a year ago...I was a Johnny Damon fan...not a Royals fan...so I was routin' for the SOX last year!!! :angry:

TGB

#10 Personality #9

Personality #9

Suedehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 05:55 PM

...So I was routin' for the SOX last year!!! :)

TGB

Grrrrr... :angry:

#11 deadguy

deadguy

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 06:51 PM

well as for baseball, you guys are speaking greek to me. i'm the kid that never got picke din gym so no lover of sports here :angry:

but, as far as the casting goes, i only piddle with alumilite and the like. not the cool high grade stuff. it seems to do well on what i use it on (mostly gi joe parts and guns), but i know its a pain in the rear to use sometimes. eh. hopefully it will do well for this stuff. so far (knock on wood) i haventahad to many air bubble problems or bumps, but then again i dont do that much :)

#12 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 07:49 PM

well as for baseball, you guys are speaking greek to me. i'm the kid that never got picke din gym so no lover of sports here :angry:

but, as far as the casting goes, i only piddle with alumilite and the like. not the cool high grade stuff. it seems to do well on what i use it on (mostly gi joe parts and guns), but i know its a pain in the rear to use sometimes. eh. hopefully it will do well for this stuff. so far (knock on wood) i haventahad to many air bubble problems or bumps, but then again i dont do that much :)

Ya...alumilite is the site that shows the tutorial w/o any real regards for safety (right?)...I know their products aren't quite as toxic as what I use, however, I hope you are using precaution and wearing gloves/eye protection/respirator with correct cartridges... :(

Good Luck! :D

TGB

#13 lazzy lizard

lazzy lizard

fiznucking chillin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Interests:love to collect all sorts of stuff mainly star wars(new & old), motu (new & old), glyos, beastformers, godzilla, and some 80's cartoons and tv show characters. love making customs too!

Posted 01 March 2005 - 08:36 PM

i use smooth on products myself, mostly all over myself by the time i'm done w/ it! :angry: the stuff is really nasty to get off my hands as i had to literally shave the plastic off my hands to get it off after it dried.

=)
AIN'T NO PARTY LIKE A BATTLE BEASTS PARTY CAUSE A BATTLE BEAST PARTY DON'T STOP!!!

#14 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 08:48 PM

i use smooth on products myself, mostly all over myself by the time i'm done w/ it! :angry: the stuff is really nasty to get off my hands as i had to literally shave the plastic off my hands to get it off after it dried.

=)

You're kiddin' right? Dude...that shizznit is toxic!!! Seriously!!! Please tell me your kiddin'... :)

You need to stop using that stuff w/o gloves, eye protection (not just glasses), and a respirator...you have no idea what this shizznit is gonna do to you years from now. :(

I also hope you are not using it around your wife/family... :D

TGB

#15 dabbuu

dabbuu

Serious Collector

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 573 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 04:27 AM

All I know is, when its toxic it tastes better.
Posted Image

#16 Red Marauder

Red Marauder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 12:03 PM

I suppose it's better to spend a small fortune making high-quality, tradeable customs, and then trading them (for the betterment of everybody's collection), as we'd end up spending a small fortune straight-up buying high quality customs like your own, TGB.
Isn't there some other way??? :(

#17 Red Marauder

Red Marauder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 12:08 PM

Hey, if the figure looks good enough, what about trading away the rights for others (like TGB or Orca or anyone else who's standards in quality are high) to make molds and casts? We little collectors who are barely scraping by as it is need some encouragement!

#18 lazzy lizard

lazzy lizard

fiznucking chillin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 01:33 PM

when i started getting into molding i was referred to it when i was on the rebelscum boards, and it was convienant b/c it was cheap & easy to use. but i haven't played w/ that stuff in over a year. so i'll probably just stick w/ the sculpey III i've been using lately and kit bashing then actually trying to cast parts.

=)

#19 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 03:10 PM

Hey, if the figure looks good enough, what about trading away the rights for others (like TGB or Orca or anyone else who's standards in quality are high) to make molds and casts? We little collectors who are barely scraping by as it is need some encouragement!

Actually, that is exactly what I am doing with Koppencevelle...

He is gonna to pass off the Pegasus (for me to trade/sell as many as I want) for a reasonable amount in trade value towards my customs. I am going out on a limb, because people can say, "Ya I want that." and then totally flake.

The major problem is that I really need the custom to be near spotless...no major flaws, voids, etc...because the mold picks up every microscopic detail.

For instance...koppenchevelle at the last minute tried to seal his 3 customs before mailing them to me...well, he must have been too close and sprayed too much...they got sticky and picked up lint and dirt...well, he is gonna have to fix them up before I can mold them. He tried to fix the Dimetron and ended up chipping up the paint...well, that too needs to be fixed...

Above all, there has to be demand for the customs. There clearly seems to be a demand for koppenchevelle's pegasus and possibly his dimeatron.

Keep in mind I ALWAYS consider ALL trades!!! If you have any toys that you think I might want (which I have collected nearly every toy line in existence), PLEASE LMK!!!

TGB

#20 Personality #9

Personality #9

Suedehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 03:18 PM

For instance...koppenchevelle at the last minute tried to seal his 3 customs before mailing them to me...well, he must have been too close and sprayed too much...they got sticky and picked up lint and dirt...well, he is gonna have to fix them up before I can mold them. He tried to fix the Dimetron and ended up chipping up the paint...well, that too needs to be fixed...

TGB

Yeah, what's the status on that situation Doc? Are those figs gonna be salvagable, or is all hope lost for those bad-boys?

Koppenshevelle! How dare you mess-up you fine customs like that! :( Shame on you! Go to your room! j/k :D

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com