6 replies to this topic

#1 Sixthwizard

Sixthwizard

6thWizard

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1977 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:13 PM

Here's the link if you don't feel like reading...http://www.ebay.com/itm/111438845477

This seller listed their poster originally at $155 BIN. I sent a message basically saying "not happening for that much". I said maybe $50 on auction from what I have seen for a while now. I also let them know how we as collectors seem to feel about the highly set BIN with best offer stuff. How it kills some aspects (IMO) of collecting.

Seller responded by saying, they weren't familiar with the item and appreciate my info shared with them-and that they may change up the list. Later they revised with a $55 BIN.

My response to that was- to just let the collecting community decide the value by auctioning off the poster. That it would be the best way to get good attention on the list, and sell for what it's worth in reality.

I shared uofmuscle.com with them for the epilogue, auction watch postings for info on how listings are sometimes viewed.
Then they sent me another message thanking me for reaching out to them and sharing info. And that they certainly don't want the collecting community to view their items negatively in any way. Then they changed their list to an auction with a very fair starting bid IMO.

I just thought this seller should be acknowledged for their positive responses to criticism and info sharing, as we all know how delicate that is most of the time. Here's the link to the auction. Poster in very good shape as well, IMO....maybe best on eBay for the fairest price right now!http://www.ebay.com/itm/111438845477

Edited by Sixthwizard, 17 August 2014 - 09:21 PM.

#2 bigburty

bigburty

Cushty Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2409 posts
  • Interests:MIMP
    Armorvors
    Crayboths
    MUSCLE
    SLUG Zombies
    OMFG

This and that - mostly that!

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:25 PM

Yep this is pretty cool and makes a nice change for once bud. Most of the time I try to negotiate a price or offer advice I get the usual "I know it's worth more" or "my friend, the collector, says it's rare and worth what I'm asking" kind of crap. I even suggest that people check eBay completing listings so they can actually see what similar items have sold for. I once got told to go fu*k myself for suggesting this ha!

A few recent classics:

Asking a seller to check their combined postage rate as they wanted to charge me a total of £2.95 for 2nd class postage of 10 small, plastic MIMP badges worth less than £5. I got told that they charge what they like and if I didn't like it then not to bother bidding on their items. So I took their advice and didn't bother.

Another example, I gave a lady on eBay what I deemed a market value offer on her a pink Leviathan, which she was asking £70+ for. I explained how I'd arrived at my offer and that I wasn't trying to scam her. She then proceeded to explain to me about how she'd researched prices and hers was a lower than others (really?), as well as the fact that because she'd had so much interest (via messages) in such a short space of time that she knew it must be worth that price and if she hung on it would sell. It's still listed there as I type this.

My personal favourite, however, has to be the time I messaged one of the AOTW sellers about their ridiculously high priced MIMP lot, boxed I think. I suggested that if I had the same items to sell, I would start them at 99p or something else low and let the auction run to the true price, rather than starting so high. Their response was simply, "In your dreams, boy!" Good ol ' eBay ay!

I'd love to have included a couple of positive eBay stories, but I'm struggling to think of any at the moment.

Edited by bigburty, 17 August 2014 - 11:25 PM.

#3 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:41 AM

I had a garage sale this weekend to get rid of a bunch of junk in my basement, and at one point on Saturday had a picker offer me $100 to take the entire lot of stuff; overall a fair deal for both of us, but I declined and took his number. I only made a few more sales after he left so I called him yesterday to ask him to come by and make another offer. He shows up with an entirely different attitude than the day before, and when I ask him to throw me a number he starts ho-humming about storage costs, and the effort of moving it, how most of it he won't be able to resell, etc. Lots of chin scratching and sighing and confused, blank stares. I'm guessing he watches those reality shows because it was like a pantomime of behavior.

It was pretty annoying because I had already committed to getting rid of the stuff and I told him that, but he obviously refused to make an offer until I gave him a number first. I reminded him that he offered $100 yesterday prior to another $20 in sales so I'd obviously consider less, but that I knew what he was doing with the stalling and acting disinterested so we could cut to it and stop wasting time. He still insisted on playing the game until we'd bounced back a forth with numbers a few times. He had to walk away feeling like he'd won. 

Point being, I think it's easy when reselling to get into a greedy, competitive mindset and lose consideration we as collectors might consider ethical because they're used to approaching transactions the way I described above. People can often get stuck with a skewed perspective that everyone is trying to screw them over, so the best option is to be sure you're the one doing the screwing. They're unwilling to accept advice or suggestions on this premise; prompting replies like, "In your dreams boy!" What a douche.

#4 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts
  • Interests:Collecting MIMP and playing Fantasy Baseball.

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:47 AM

Most Ebay sellers are jerks but I can think of one recent story that was positive. I bought some Italian MIMP from YayoYaya. I have bought from him a few times and had a long conversation with him once using google translate. I got the figures in and it included a little wrapped piece in cardboard that said "For you" and included 3 perfect Italian MIMP cards. 

It was really nice and I posted it in multiple places. 

My MIMP Resource site: http://mimpcollective.weebly.com

Behemoth's Video Game and MIMP YouTube Page: https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

#5 Sixthwizard

Sixthwizard

6thWizard

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1977 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:51 PM

Excellent dealings Behemoth. Always gnarly when there's some surprises....

#6 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:01 AM

Just an FYI addition: http://blog.uofmuscl...#comment-676166

#7 Sixthwizard

Sixthwizard

6thWizard

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1977 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:34 AM

See- Thats the stuff right there that makes this a fun hobby to me.  I love receptive people.  That lady was very nice to me when i sent the initial message to her.  Its even cooler that she actually followed up and checked out your site to get some info from it, Veers.  

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com