#1 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:45 PM

Saw Jpac's thread and realized I need to make one of the same.

First off, I won't be able to make any purchases until probably closer to February. Y'know, Christmas and all.

Secondly, I want to try and price out some pieces if possible. My three biggest pieces I have no idea of value on are:

Pink Crab
Pink Weasel
Plastic Armor Tortoise

I also need unpainted grizzly and mouse, but I assume they're not that valuable. I'll post the rest of my list when I find it on one of my computers.

Thanks in advance!

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#2 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1853 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:12 AM

Unpainted Grizzly?! Suppose your pointing at the Walrus or the Porcupine here?

For the rest I think its fair to say you can expect them to be around $15 - $25 each depending on their condition.

Depending on the rest of your list I don't think you'll have a hard time finding these next year because although they are variants they're not that hard to find.

Good luck!

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#3 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:03 AM

I thought there was a grizzly with an unpainted box?

I also need that porcupine.

Most of my other needs are series 3
<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#4 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1853 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:21 AM

I thought there was a grizzly with an unpainted box?

You mean missing the Yellow!? Its something I haven't really noticed or heard about so far but I might be wrong.  

Do you have a reference pic?

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#5 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:34 AM

I feel like I remember seeing something about a bear with missing paint apps on the armor or something but I thought it was just a factory error, like the black-faced gorilla or the weird colored gator I got from vaal. Not an actual variant, per-say.

#6 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1853 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:35 PM

I feel like I remember seeing something about a bear with missing paint apps on the armor or something but I thought it was just a factory error, like the black-faced gorilla or the weird colored gator I got from vaal. Not an actual variant, per-say.

True, there've been quite some discussions about Variants or factory errors in the past and you've people standing on each side but it might be wise to check or search back for that specific topic in the BB area of the board because IMHO the Black Face gorilla is not a variant but a factory error, might have named it different in that particular topic but anyway try to avoid hunting down so called 'variants' of which maybe only 1 or 2 in the whole world might exists because of a simple paint mistake in the factory. A variant, was somehow meant to be produced that way or its a least a figure that's been produced in larger numbers like most known vairants came from within the playsets for which some figs might have been produced during a different run with different kind of colors (pink skin variants) or a little different paint apps. Long ever lasting discussion but it might be good to avoid placing these on your Variant wantlist because the chances of bumping into these (for instance the Black Face Gorilla) are pretty limited...

This is the topic with my reply I was refering to in relation to the Variants and or Factory errors;

http://www.littlerub...110667&p=407660

There's still a little fine tunning needed in the division of some of these IMHO but for me this did and does make sense in the big lines.

Edited by GJNL, 17 December 2013 - 12:51 PM.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

#7 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:39 PM

I just assumed it was a variant because I saw it in the Little Rubber Guides page. I didn't really bother researching anything, to be honest. One more figure to check off the list for now, then!

<p> </p>
<p>

#8 mca19

mca19

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:Mainly Battle Beasts/Laser Beasts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:42 PM

I agree with the comments so far. I think pink weasel $12-15, pink crab $15-20 and plastic turtle seems slightly harder so maybe $20-25
Untainted teeth mouse should be cheaper like $8-10 as I see him all the time.

Good luck buddy, hope you find them cheaper

#9 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:53 AM

Mouse: http://www.ebay.com/...=item4617f3dfc9

And I think I might have an extra Pink Weasel, I'll have to check today after work.

#10 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:05 AM

Thanks for your insight, fellas!

My wallet just breathed a sigh of relief knowing that it should be around $100ish to finish off my collection of 1-76.

I've been meaning to respond to this sooner with my thanks but, y'know, holidays and work and yadda yadda. Didn't want you guys to think it was unappreciated!

Edited by Draznar, 24 December 2013 - 04:06 AM.

<p> </p>
<p>

#11 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:43 AM

No problem :) Oh, and I checked and I don't have an extra weasel anymore, but I do have the full-shelled tortoise for you if that's what you meant by 'plastic shell'

#12 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:16 AM

Again, using Little Rubber Guides I see a Tortoise, Orange Plastic Armor Tortoise, and half-shell tortoise.

The only one I have is the half-shell.

<p> </p>
<p>

#13 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:23 AM

Posted below is what I need, if I need one with a rub or a weapon I'll state it as so

Since I live in Canada, I'd like to buy as much as possible from one person. I also won't be doing any serious buying until late January/early February. I just wanted to get this list on here before I forgot or ran out of time or lost my list or any other number of reasons.

Here is my complete needs list:

19 Prickly Porcupine unpainted variant - Figure only

#22 Hare Raising Rabbit short variant - Need it complete

#24 War Weasel pink variant  - Need it complete

#28 Crusty Crab Pink  - Figure only

#32 Humongous Hippo  - Need one in good shape with a rub sign

#33 Major Moose  - Weapon only

#35 Kickback Kangaroo  - Weapon only

#36 Octillion Octopus - Figure only

#38 Powerhouse Mouse unpainted teeth variant  - Need it complete

#39 Dragoon Racoon  - Figure only

#41 Run Amuck Duck - Figure only (with no wear on beak please!)

2x mole weapons

#46 Knight Owl  - Weapon only

#49 Squire Squirrel yellow vent variant - Need it complete

#65 Tanglin' Pangolin - Need it complete

#69 Zealot Zebra - Weapon only

#73 Frenzied Flamingo - Weapon only

#74 Fleet footed Antelope  - Weapon only

#76 Ossified Orangutan  - Weapon only

Edited by Draznar, 24 December 2013 - 11:24 AM.

<p> </p>
<p>

#14 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:29 PM

Again, using Little Rubber Guides I see a Tortoise, Orange Plastic Armor Tortoise, and half-shell tortoise.

The only one I have is the half-shell.

See I thought there was only one version of the full-shell turtle but looking at the two I have I can see that they are different. One is identical in color to my half-shell tortoise, while the other has a darker black color that overall darkens the orange and green paint apps and bleeds through in places (not due to wear).I don't know if I agree with the description of 'orange plastic armor' because the one I have that matches that photo in the guide appears to be made of the same black plastic as the other. I don't want to detail your thread but it looks like I might have to make a thread for clarity.

Edited by bachamn, 30 December 2013 - 09:33 PM.

#15 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:32 AM

You might need to! I just use littlerubberguides and treat it like it's the word of God because I assume it's 100% correct. Which could be a good or a bad thing.

<p> </p>
<p>

#16 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1853 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:57 AM

If you look at the Tortoise specifically when it comes to the ''Variants'' you should keep in mind that the Orange plastic Tortoise is not the same as the full shell one and vice versa so you have the normal Tortoise where the stamp is placed on its shell so it's only half, this also goes for the Orange plastic one (same idea of the Orange Plastic Gorilla, so the ground color is Orange instead of Black with orange painted over it) and than the full-shell Tortoise is 'similar' to the normal one but with the difference its shell is full since the stamp is not placed on there.

Of course there's some minor color differences that can be found amongst the orange painted Tortoises as well so that might explain the color difference your noticing on your full-shell Tortoise Bachamn.

Hope this clears a little of the story.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

#17 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:59 AM

Alright, so then the orange plastic version is a half-shell then? Do we know what the origin is of this variant? Was it a Japan-only release like the Gorilla?

In my experienced the Orange gorilla almost always looks like it's "cleaner" painted than the normal red, as is the case with the orange plastic tortoise (based on the photo in the guide, anyway) so I wonder what the motivation was to make this change in plastics? I would think that if anything, they would have done it the other way around after seeing how the black plastic bleeds through the paint apps; the green detail paint apps on each of my full-shell tortoises are drastically different shades.

And Draz, it might be unpopular to say this, but the LRGuides listings for BB/LB leaves a bit to be desired. I especially don't pay attention to the price guide that's included since it's wildly inaccurate (being based on submitted prices, and I don't think anyone has done that in a while)

Actually, it kind of seems like the entire database is lacking basic info (particularly the 'Boxed Sets' section, which is currently mostly MOC beasts) and lacks photos of most of the BB/LB boxed sets and vehicles/playsets). It's something I would be happy to clean up/update myself if I had the authorizations.  :spiteful:

Edited by bachamn, 31 December 2013 - 08:00 AM.

#18 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1853 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:21 AM

Alright, so then the orange plastic version is a half-shell then? Do we know what the origin is of this variant? Was it a Japan-only release like the Gorilla?

True the plastic version is indeed a half-shell. Like with most ''variants'' the origin should probably be found in the fact its been a figure that was released within a playset and thus probably produced with the different material because it was in a different factory or location away from the original normal figures. I know the Orange plastic Gorilla was available within the European Bandoliers but I'm not sure what the story is behind this plastic Tortoise but its most probably related to a playset or different packaging type. Not even sure if I've seen a orange Gorilla directly from Japan, can't remember it directly though...

There are still a lot of holes within the whole information around the Battle Beasts line that have not been cleared or which have been filled based on assumptions causing things to chance as soon as another figure comes up that shows the information is wrong. Its an almost endless road because there's a lot of hard facts missing in almost every story so this means that most databases are far from complete or they're showing the wrong information especially when it comes to figs that are not very common.

Together with another member out here I had the idea to launch some monthly or two weekly topics from next year to (re-)discuss about issues and fact which we know from the past but which are still doubtfull or which are showing a lack of info to see if together with all boardmembers and their experiences and knowledge we might be able to fill in some blanks in a more proper and constructional way to get things clearified once and for all because there's a lot of back stories that deserve to be verfified and shared. But that's one of my intentions for 2014..........  

Some other members are still welcome to join in on this idea since the plan is to post a ''solid'' plausible story based on the clear facts, or just the fragments of which we know they are correct, at first combined out of the knowledge of a few diehard members and we go from there to prevent each story to start from scrap. But this does not mean there's no point of discussion because as long as you can bring in clear facts the story will evolve and we'll hopefully be able to verify and preserve it for the sake of BB history. So if your interested to join in on these PM talks to discuss about the main topics and the stories to look at let me know because I'll make a selection of max. 5 people out here (if interested) to start with before the actuall topic will be posted. Might also contact a few members directly to ask if they're interested to join in here since I've a few diehards on my list of which I know they have the info or had short lines in the past leading to the stories we know.

We know a lot about the Battle Beasts, at least we think, but the truth is that there's still more unkown than known.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

#19 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:29 AM

Haha and now I think we have officially derailed this thread, sorry Draz!

GJ, I'll get back to you soon via PM ;)

#20 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:14 AM

Just for the record, I don't follow the price guide, just the pictures.

And doubly so, I don't believe that Orange Gorilla is a Japanese exclusive. I got mine from a Canadian fellow who sold them to me from his collection of childhood toys. He knew nothing of the figures aside from the fact that they were "battle beasts", (he had a couple of laser beasts in the lot also), and that's where his knowledge ended. Plus, the lot was a reasonable amount for what someone would have had as a child, and on top of that, wasn't big enough to warrant it as someone who was seeking them out online. So I have a lot of reason to believe he got his naturally in Canada.

<p> </p>
<p>

#21 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:20 AM

Yeah I didn't assume you'd be using the price guide, but since it's still there and so inaccurate I felt it should be mentioned. And I shouldn't have said the Orange Gorilla was Japan only; what I intended to say was that it seems that the majority if not all of them that I have seen in Japan have been orange. I'm aware that many of the differently colored variant figures came packaged with the bandoliers and vehicles elsewhere (like GJNL mentioned), but they seem to be exception rather than the standard in the Western market, and the inverse seems to be true in Japan

Edited by bachamn, 31 December 2013 - 10:20 AM.

#22 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:30 AM

Touche!

But to my topic, however!

I don't know if requesting toys works the same as selling toys in regards to prices, but I'll post what I'm willing to pay anyways so that nobody is confused or hurt/upset/mad later down the road.

With the exception of the variants, I don't pay $10 per battle beast. Ever. The same thing goes for weapons. If you have what I'm looking for and can be reasonable about prices please PM me! I've got a few bucks transferring to my paypal as we speak, so I should be able to complete any transactions within the next couple of weeks. (Whenever the money clears).

<p> </p>
<p>

#23 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:47 PM

Yeah, $10/beast is the gouger prices that somehow became the watermark for auctions because some douchebag started doing it on eBay for a bit and those without any reference point assume it's a fair price and follow suit. I've only ever traded for a few beasts at that valuation, but only because I was wanting them 100% flawless, so the extra bit was worth it to me for that reassurance. It's kind of crazy when you consider that there is absolutely no shortage of standard BB figures up for auction at any given point save a few specific figures, and only a handful of sellers seem to recognize this and sell for reasonable prices. 

Oh and just to add some imagery to the previous conversation (and then I'll stop talking about the Tortoise, I swear!) here are a few comparison photos of the 2 full-shells I have showing the differences in color. (that are overall apparently meaningless ;) ) The differences in the green don't show up as well in the photo, but you can definitely see them.

Attached File  2013-12-31_00-16-17.jpg   215.34K   28 downloads Attached File  2013-12-31_00-17-30.jpg   275.87K   29 downloads

Edited by bachamn, 31 December 2013 - 01:48 PM.

#24 mca19

mca19

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:Mainly Battle Beasts/Laser Beasts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:25 AM

Bachamn, the auction I have listed for my friend (speaking of crazy prices) is the only plastic turtle I have seen. Want some images before I mail his set back to him? It is actually a big difference in person, not sure how it will show in pictures.

Also I have some weapons I will be listing in a thread. If someone can help draznar with his list, I will work out a trade so he isn't paying $10 each. I should have a list in a few hours of what I have left over.

#25 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:00 AM

yeah man I would love to see that if you can. :)

I'll keep an eye out for that thread too; I have quite a number of spares these days but not many that exactly match what he's needing.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com