38 replies to this topic

#1 Siccx Degree

Siccx Degree

Home of The Whopper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1139 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 12:16 AM

First off, the game doesn't really play like your traditional wrestling game. The game plays more like a fighting game. It is face paced and fun. There are no pins or submissions, you win a match by knockout, which you do by taking down his hit points (ala a fighting game), the graphics are nice, the cell shading works good for this type of game, and the characters mirror their cartoon selves perfectly if not a lil' better.

The replay value in this game is high due to the fact you earn coins after fights, you can take these coins and purchase toys, by getting certain amounts of toys you can unlock more characters. The characters you can unlock range from old school legends like Warsman to newcomers like Mars and Bone Cold.

If you are expecting that great AKI grappling system to be exact you will be disappointed. It's not as slow and deep as any of the other AKI games (which I love, and still play to this day), rather it's faster paced and more action packed, like I said before, it's more like a fighting game.

There are still grapples though, because it is based on anime, which in turn is based on wrestling. The moves range from your textbook suplex to neck breakers, any move you seen in anyone of the AKI made games are most likely in this. Speaking moves, one of my favorite features is the ability to do moves in mid air, you can throw your opponent in the air and grab him and send him crashing down to the mat with a suplex, or you can counter one of his jumping moves with one of your own, very well done indeed.

The CAW mode, it's not that great when compared to any of AKI's previous games, it's pretty much just a few set heads, torsos, and so on. You can't really make anything special, but the designs are interesting enough to actually try and make something.

The Super/signature moves (which are breath breathtaking), all characters have their signature moves, Suguru Kinnikuman has his Muscle Spark, Mantaro has the Muscle Millennium, and so on. You have three levels of super moves (which you build up during the course of the match), the third being the strongest of course. Some can be performed in mid such as Jaegers Beefcake Hammer, while others can be done from the front or back. The game is fun, one of the funnest games I've come across in awhile, and it’s the closest thing to playing the show you can get. Check the game out, it's a must play, if I had to rate it I'd give it a 10...

260199921_b3fdfe42ca.jpg

#2 smackman

smackman

Dark Lord Magus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1380 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 12:28 AM

Whoa! Sounds killer. If its that good I think I'll have to get a gamecube. :D
Posted Image

#3 BzzzapOuch

BzzzapOuch

Oh, Gitaroo Man!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 03:43 AM

I'm gonna play this for a little while before I give(if) this a review. So far this game is great though. Siccx, I believe the creat a wrestler opens up more options the more you unlock and beat in the game. There are only a few minor glitches/freeze ups in the game, and U even caught some spelling errors, but these are just minute things, everything else seems awesome. Oh, and the tag team combos, those are intense!
Posted Image

#4 AmoiMan

AmoiMan

Garlic Energized

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1614 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 06:59 AM

Well, I got the game yesterday and played through story mode with every character.

It's fun, for a MUSCLE fan. As far as the gameplay goes, it's pretty limited. There are not an incredible # of moves to be done like in old AKI wrestling games. And yes, it feels like a not-quite-a-wrestling-game/not-quite-a-fighting-game. It's fast-paced as Siccx said and all of the characters are noticeably different in attributes (speed, strength).

The story mode lacks depth (4 single matches and a tag match), but since you have to beat it with everyone to unlock everything, its okay. The replay value drops a bit after the story mode is over, as by that time, the player has already collected about 350 figures. Multiplayer should take care of that, though, as this game seems like it would be REALLY fun played with friends.

Those figures are sweet, by the way. They're pictures of MUSCLE, Kinnikuman, and UM figures, with short descriptions giving a name, chojin power, and origin. A bunch of names are different than what I expected, though...hmmm.

The create-a-wrestler mode might as well not be there, as it's more of a mix-and-match-a-wrestler with few options.

The moves are awesome, especially the specials. But some regular moves are cool too and the striking is done well, with combo capabilities.

there's more to say...but I'm lazy now....

I give this game a 7.7 on a 10 point scale, after playing through its entirety.

I'd also reccomend WWF No Mercy or Def Jam Vendetta over this game to most people, but to you guys, I'll say this game is just what you want.
Posted Image

#5 Raven Man

Raven Man

Backround-Filler Chojin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 11:42 PM

Everyone poops on the Create-A-Wrestler, but I've made plenty of awesome characters with. I'm surprised I even managed to get as close as I did with a character based on the design of my namesake.

#6 WarsmanandRamenmanrule

WarsmanandRamenmanrule

I can't think of anything good

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 12:29 PM

What's the Muscle Spark? :lol: What's Brokkenman JR.'s level 3 super move? What's an example of a different name?

#7 AmoiMan

AmoiMan

Garlic Energized

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1614 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 01:30 PM

What's the Muscle Spark? :D What's Brokkenman JR.'s level 3 super move? What's an example of a different name?

Brocken's is Red Rain of Pain. Spark= too hard to describe.....
Posted Image

#8 WarsmanandRamenmanrule

WarsmanandRamenmanrule

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 02:51 PM

Dang, two people with the red rain of pain. Is the Muscle Spark where King Muscle pulls one of your legs and your head with his legs, while pulling on your arms with his?

#9 AmoiMan

AmoiMan

Garlic Energized

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1614 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 03:08 PM

something like that, and drives you head first. Brocken's red rain of pain is awesome. much better than the other.
Posted Image

#10 WarsmanandRamenmanrule

WarsmanandRamenmanrule

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 03:14 PM

Thanks, what is an example of a M.U.S.C.L.E. with a different name than the original? Also is Sunshine good?

#11 YoshiAngemon

YoshiAngemon

Butt-faced Recap man.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 01:30 AM

Sunshine is slow, powerful, and is somewhat for the experts who want to control him.
"Bonjour! Monsieur Cheeks here, with the Chojin Crown News du Jour! ... So, without further ado, LET'S GET TO THE BOTTOM OF IT!" -- Monsieur Cheeks.

#12 AmoiMan

AmoiMan

Garlic Energized

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1614 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 11:29 AM

Ashuraman's got a different name. Satan Cross. Devil knight....um...a bunch of others too, but I forgot which
Posted Image

#13 WarsmanandRamenmanrule

WarsmanandRamenmanrule

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 11:39 AM

Satan Cross having a different name is not a surprise, because Super Smash Bros. Melee had to delete a trophy for the American version, because it had to do with the devil.

#14 Raven Man

Raven Man

Backround-Filler Chojin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 02:06 PM

Ashuraman/Vishnu is now Shivanno, Satan Cross is Diablo Cross, Mr. VTR is Mr. VCR, Benkiman is now Mr. P and I can't remember any others at the moment.

#15 Drtooth

Drtooth

germaphobe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 01:23 PM

Got to play the new Demo at TRU... great game, but Kid Muscle kept handing my butt to me...

ANYWAY... I'll be brief.. I'd say it's a Googolplex times better then the NES game, but zero times anything is still Zero (I played that NES one I bought... It was Funny but not fun)

I'd kill for a gamecube JUST to get this game...

One complaint... when they do that cross screen thing, you know you're doomed...

Stupid Kid Kinnikuman and his *&^ Ultimate Muscle....

Wish Ramenman could graphically rip people in half, though...
Posted Image

#16 Sniper33

Sniper33

Local Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2912 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 01:31 PM

................______________________
............../
............./
_____

As long as your health in above the dip, your not screwed. Any lower than the dip and you can just say good bye.

Edited by Sniper33, 25 June 2003 - 01:34 PM.

Posted Image

#17 Chibi Riya

Chibi Riya

PirateLord Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 04:35 AM

I just got the game yesterday and it's great! The only thing that suck is Mars doesnt have Swallow Tail...... but that's just me lol

it's kinda funny, my and my brother unlocked all of the characters already yesterday. (yes all of the six characters!) My favorite characters to use in the game are Jade, Kevin Mask, Dikky, Blocken Jr., and of course MARS! I have one more but he is one of the secret character you have to unlock.

[ Yuujou Power ]
FULL ON FRIENDSHIP! 8D

#18 GermanNinja131

GermanNinja131

M.U.S.C.L.E Hunter/ Ninja for hire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 02:52 PM

Ive had this game for awhile, and id have to say it is a blast to play. When i have friends over we play this till the next morning. The system to it is way easy, even so its hard to win with a slow guy against other players.

All in all, its the reason i bought a cube(that and wario world) One thing is that some characters i think got ripped on the moves, checkmate didnt have any of his castle moves, mars without swallow tail, and no mt. fuji facelift for hanzo(that one makes me mad everytime i use him) but other then those little flaws, its a great reason to buy a cube.
"Check this out! German Ninjutsu Disguise!"-Schwartz Bruder

#19 Drtooth

Drtooth

germaphobe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 01:45 PM

Satan Cross having a different name is not a surprise, because Super Smash Bros. Melee had to delete a trophy for the American version, because it had to do with the devil.

Damn Bible thumping wackos! Always ruining it for everyone!
Posted Image

#20 smackman

smackman

Dark Lord Magus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1380 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 11:54 PM

Stupid video store that I work at only has one copy of UM, and some bast ard kid keeps renting it. I really can't wait to play it. My friend let me borrow his gamecube, so I'm ready to play!

And now we play the waiting game... :woot:
Posted Image

#21 WarsmanandRamenmanrule

WarsmanandRamenmanrule

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 05:24 PM

I just rented the game(no i'm not the "bast ard"). It is AWESOME!!! I don't save it, though. I did manage to get mars and warsman tough. Brokken Jr. has the best special, that I've seen. Some of those changed names are revolting though. Did anyone else notice Buttman in the crowd? overall, fantastc game.

#22 thunderhead

thunderhead

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 July 2003 - 04:36 PM

Anyone know where I can get a printable moves list for the game. I just rented the game and there are no instructions at all and I can't seem to find a moves list for this game. Did check 4 .com sites with no response. e+

#23 MIWP

MIWP

Kinnikuman Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 12 July 2003 - 05:01 PM

I really really want this game!
I still do not even have a Game Cube though.
I think I should lay off buying Kinkeshi for a couple and buy a Game Cube and this game. I do like video games alot but have not really been playing any except for a couple on my PC for the last couple of years.

#24 KnuxieChan

KnuxieChan

German Beefcake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 05:34 PM

I really enjoy playing it. The stories does lack abit. Doc and Mac get abit annoying after awhile. The game plays more like a fighter game (which I like), but some of the voices aren't the same as the show. Also, some are hard to hear when they talk >.< (Mars, and some of the other hidden characters). It's annoying when you collect some of the same figures over and over again.

I defently enjoy the game ^^ The graphics are beautiful and colorful. I give it an 8.

#25 itsamike

itsamike

The Man Behind The Meat!

• Legends
  • 395 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 05:55 PM

but some of the voices aren't the same as the show.

Such as?
--Mike
|= <

The opinions expressed are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of 4Kids Entertainment or its affiliates.

Want an autographed picture? Click here!

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com