#1 ActionPax

ActionPax

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 07:18 PM

Using the checklist @ http://www.din.or.jp/~katsumix/

I think I have found more figures that are not on the Mattel poster. 

If I missed some, let me know~ 

Parts 21-30

There are earlier parts that also appear to have non-poster figures, but they appear to be tag-team only (so far) 

I translated the pages with Google. Some names might be off. 

Attached File  keshipart-21.jpg   353.24K   27 downloads

Attached File  keshipart-22.jpg   292.64K   29 downloads

Attached File  keshipart-23.jpg   273.78K   20 downloads

Attached File  keshipart-24.jpg   323.57K   15 downloads

Attached File  keshipart-25.jpg   330.87K   19 downloads

Attached File  keshipart-26.jpg   347.88K   20 downloads

Attached File  keshipart-27.jpg   289.53K   19 downloads

Attached File  keshipart-28.jpg   284.74K   21 downloads

Attached File  keshipart-29.jpg   312.54K   24 downloads

Attached File  keshipart-30.jpg   345.8K   21 downloads

Edited by ActionPax, 05 January 2020 - 05:29 PM.

#2 fisheye

fisheye

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Interests:Muscle. Marvel Comics. Marvel Trading Cards. PS4/PS5/Switch/GBA/DS/3DS gaming.

Posted 04 January 2020 - 08:10 PM

Mattel only made 235 figures, not counting the figures not on the poster. There are a total of 418 figures in the Japanese Kinnikuman keshi line. So that's 183 figures that Mattel didn't make.(not on the poster)

#3 BadLarry

BadLarry

Jake All Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Interests:Robot & monster toys, Lego, MUSCLE, etc.

Posted 04 January 2020 - 08:11 PM

When people use the term "non-poster" it is only in reference to M.U.S.C.L.E. branded figures made of the harder plastic and released by Mattel outside of Japan. The figures you are listing are Kinnikuman branded figures made of softer material and released in Japan.

There were 418 Kinnikuman keshi figures (Kinkeshi). In order for a M.U.S.C.L.E. figure to be called "non-poster", it must be discovered cast in the M.U.S.C.L.E. material. Only a handful of different sculpts have been. The 200 or so Kinkeshi figures that did not get imported as M.U.S.C.L.E.s are not all non-poster figures.

Thank you

#4 ActionPax

ActionPax

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 04:54 PM

Yeah, I was looking for a checklist here and that term kept popping up. Mainly to be noted as "rare" . I wanted to share a picture guide for others that couldn't navigate the Japanese site~ 

Are you counting the 2-piece keshi sets as 1? Which figure on the images on the list above are not "non-poster? 

When people use the term "non-poster" it is only in reference to M.U.S.C.L.E. branded figures made of the harder plastic and released by Mattel outside of Japan. The figures you are listing are Kinnikuman branded figures made of softer material and released in Japan.

There were 418 Kinnikuman keshi figures (Kinkeshi). In order for a M.U.S.C.L.E. figure to be called "non-poster", it must be discovered cast in the M.U.S.C.L.E. material. Only a handful of different sculpts have been. The 200 or so Kinkeshi figures that did not get imported as M.U.S.C.L.E.s are not all non-poster figures.

Thank you

#5 Rubberhammer

Rubberhammer

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2463 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 05:48 PM

Which figure on the images on the list above are not "non-poster?

None of those are non-poster figs, because none of them are M.U.S.C.L.E. figures. Those are all Japanese Kinkeshi.

The term "non-poster figure" is only used when referring to a very limited number of figures from the American M.U.S.C.L.E. toyline.

It is not applicable to the original Japanese Kinkeshi toyline that the sculpts in the American line were taken from.

Edited by Rubberhammer, 05 January 2020 - 05:49 PM.

#6 ActionPax

ActionPax

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 11:06 PM

Correct, they are not on the poster, that is why I used the term found on this site... I've only seen the term used here for exactly what is found in Japan, but not on the Poster. Again, this was not a full list that I could easily find, and with so much series information.  I have yet to see the term used for any American figures. Only sourced from Japan, like "The Magnificent Eleven" . If you want to collect more of these characters, that are not on the poster, this list can help find what you missing. 

Edited by ActionPax, 06 January 2020 - 11:07 PM.

#7 ActionPax

ActionPax

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 11:16 PM

If also Made in Japan, what is the "American toyline" ? 

Attached File  madeinjapan.jpg   74.77K   2 downloads

#8 fuzzbuster

fuzzbuster

Yes

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 2303 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 04:47 AM

It's really not a hard concept to wrap your head around.

Original Kinnikuman Kinkeshi were made and sold in Japan. They are made from a soft, eraser-like material, and there are 418 sculpts in the original run.

In 1985, Bandai sold the rights to distribute the toyline to Mattel. They chose about half of the figures from the original toyline, and using the same molds, cast them in a harder rubber material. They were sold in North America as M.U.S.C.L.E.

So, to answer your last question, the American toyline consists of the figures that were sold in North America, even though they were manufactured in Japan.
The Japanese toyline refers to the softer figures that 1) came out first, and 2) were sold in Japan.

The poster we refer to was also only distributed by Mattel in North America, and only has figures that were released in North America featured on it. There are a handful of figures that were made in the same, firm M.U.S.C.L.E. material that do not appear on the poster, such as SHA, BHS, the Mag 11, etc. Those are the Non-Poster figures, i.e. they are made from American M.U.S.C.L.E. material but not featured on the American M.U.S.C.L.E. poster.

Remember, they have to be M.U.S.C.L.E. figures not featured on the M.U.S.C.L.E. poster to be considered Non-Poster Figures.
A Kinkeshi is not the same as a M.U.S.C.L.E., therefore it is not a Non-Poster figure regardless of what the sculpt is.

To reiterate:
M.U.S.C.L.E. is the American version of Kinkeshi, made in the same factory but of a different material from the Japanese originals.
Even though M.U.S.C.L.E. figures are exact copies of Kinkeshi, not every Kinkeshi was made into a M.U.S.C.L.E. figure.
Also, there are a few M.U.S.C.L.E. figures that are not featured on the poster, even though they are made from the same material. Those are Non-Poster Figures.

On a side note directed to the choir, after seeing someone struggle with such a simple concept, is anyone surprised at some of the ridiculous auctions you have seen over the years? Although I cannot deny that greed plays a part in bullshit auctions, I feel that poor reading comprehension skills are a far greater contributor to such situations.

#9 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 05:37 PM

Great explanation Fuzz.

Welcome to LRG ActionPax! :)

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com