17 replies to this topic

#1 Sniper33

Sniper33

Local Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2912 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 10:56 PM

I had a some crystal figures for my set, and still do. Some of them are still transparent like normal, but there are others that have gotten a little smokey looking...meaning they aren't clear clear. Is that normal for it to happen to the figures? Not sure if you can tell by the picture of what I mean.

Attached Files

Posted Image

#2 SpectreSuperSix5

SpectreSuperSix5

I am not a number. I'm a free man

• Old Guard
  • 2598 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, M.U.S.C.L.E., Xbox 360, firearms, grilling, muscle cars, zombies, and Cartoon Network.

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:00 PM

Interesting. How do you have them stored?
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

#3 Sniper33

Sniper33

Local Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2912 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:07 PM

had them in a bag, and had that put away. no uncommon temps in the spot either.

Posted Image

#4 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22194 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:35 AM

Can you take a pic of two crystals side by side? One still perfect and the other "smokey".

#5 Sniper33

Sniper33

Local Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2912 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 01:05 PM

Can you take a pic of two crystals side by side? One still perfect and the other "smokey".

Kinda forgot, don't have my normal camera anymore so I ended up using my phone. You can kinda see the difference.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 lazzy lizard

lazzy lizard

fiznucking chillin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Interests:love to collect all sorts of stuff mainly star wars(new & old), motu (new & old), glyos, beastformers, godzilla, and some 80's cartoons and tv show characters. love making customs too!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:00 AM

I have seen this occur with a batch of figs i just got and it included 2 crystal stench's and one looks opaque and the other is crystal clear. i'll post the pics when i get home. seems to be the case w/ some of the shadows too.

=)
AIN'T NO PARTY LIKE A BATTLE BEASTS PARTY CAUSE A BATTLE BEAST PARTY DON'T STOP!!!

VISIT MY CUSTOMS GALLERY>> http://www.littlerub...showtopic=17082

#7 seekingxar

seekingxar

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:19 PM

Just going through the guys I have, seems like most of my crystals now have a frosted look

#8 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10729 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:24 PM

I experienced the same thing with some of my regular old shadow variations. They almost have a frosted film on them.
www.deadbirdtoys.com
Any social media: @bad_luck_jimmy

#9 seekingxar

seekingxar

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:54 PM

I experienced the same thing with some of my regular old shadow variations. They almost have a frosted film on them.

Do you think it cleans off somehow?

#10 imperfecz

imperfecz

Götter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4302 posts
  • Interests:stuff n stuff

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:32 PM

Has anyone tried anything like a plastic polish? Would be worth a shot... maybe hit 'em with a plastic cleaner then polish?

If you want me to test this theory send me the offending figures... well at least a sample.

#11 Aikola

Aikola

Main Offender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:18 AM

If no-one else does I think ive got some that I can send to you.
Aikola: Collecting figures that no-one else cares about since 2007.
"Punk Rock: A loud, fast and deliberately offensive style of rock music"

My Trade List
My Little Army
Aikola's Mini Boglin Colour Archive

#12 imperfecz

imperfecz

Götter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4302 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:28 AM

Was just wondering if it could work... or help. Just checked though and I can only find the fine scratch polish. Well you would still see if there are results using just that. Must've been separated during the last move. But for sure I'm willing to try a cleaning method... tried everything from Simple Green to a zit cream trying to fix dirt, stains, all kinds of stuff.

#13 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5103 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:59 AM

This looks like the result of aging clear plastic. I've seen clear vinyl figures that over time turn out like this, even without exposure to sunlight. It is part of the eventual deterioration of plastic anything, although it will take far longer for them to end up as piles of shapeless goo. It's not going to be something you can clean off them; you might be able to restore them the way I've seen people do it for white toys that have yellowed, but I honestly don't know, and it could impact the painted details.

#14 imperfecz

imperfecz

Götter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4302 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:04 PM

Aaahhh I was thinking these were completely clear ones...

Basically what I'm talking about is the kind of stuff you se to restore plastic headlights that fog up due to tiny scratches over time, or polishing CDs so they play again. The cleaning part just gets rid of unseen dirt so you don't work in more scratches as you're trying to buff out existing ones.

Just wondering if it's worth trying... heck I did the zit cream/indirect sunlight thing to get ink out of a figure... worked great till I got distracted... now my pink figure has a nice white spot instead of a blue ink stain.

#15 lord

lord

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 931 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:34 PM

I have just received my FOP collection. The figures have been all stored together in the same box for the last 4 years. I have the same problem on some of the shadow and some crystal but not all of them. I even have this problem on one of my crystal secret :(

Edited by lord, 06 May 2012 - 01:34 PM.

#16 James

James

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:49 PM

I wonder if you kept them in a refrigerator if this would still happen to them. Inside a refrigerator, submerged in a container full of desiccant like silica gel to keep them dry and suck away any off-gas chemicals.

#17 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5103 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:38 PM

I wonder if you kept them in a refrigerator if this would still happen to them. Inside a refrigerator, submerged in a container full of desiccant like silica gel to keep them dry and suck away any off-gas chemicals.

Probably not, that should keep them as pristine as you can without perfect environmentally-controlled storage. It might also be worth looking into Pledge with Future Floor Shine, as a sealant all over the figure but like the white-restoring stuff, I don't know if that will work to protect it or not. Pledge with Future definitely won't affect painted details, but it might prevent the figure from being as flexible as it was previously.

#18 PlasticSoul

PlasticSoul

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2786 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:18 PM

I've seen this hundreds of times with certain pairs of shoes that have clear plastic soles. The clear fogs up or yellows over time. People looked for a way to reverse it for years and years before someone actually figured it out. There is a product called seaglow made for using on boats that somehow converts the UV in sunlight into a plastic/rubber defogging agent. I used it a few times and it worked perfectly. All you need to do is coat the plastic and let it sit in the sun for awhile. I bet it would work on these.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com