5 replies to this topic

#1 Haby

Haby

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 May 2021 - 09:21 AM

Hello, recently recovered my old collection from mom's attic and have a few questions regarding some figures. I've read that Exogini's do not have a trademark on their backs. I have a couple of what I thought were the metallic black ones, but they do have trademarks. Did M.U.S.C.L.E.'s ever come in this color? Also, I have a Purple #195 that has a soft rubber base marked "Taiwan" on the inside that the figure fits in. Any information/insight, would be greatly appreciated.Attached File  Resized_20210520_115725.jpeg   433.81K   11 downloadsAttached File  Resized_20210520_115702.jpeg   348.3K   15 downloadsAttached File  Resized_20210524_152534 (1).jpeg   332.81K   12 downloads

Edited by Haby, 29 May 2021 - 04:33 PM.

#2 fuzzbuster

fuzzbuster

Yes

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 2303 posts

Posted 30 May 2021 - 03:32 AM

There were some vending machine bootlegs available in the late 80's/early 90's that were metallic in color, but they were much more flexible than the legit figures. I am guessing that they are the same feel and consistency as a M.U.S.C.L.E.

If you had a typical shiny bootleg in hand you would be able able to tell the difference in pliability immediately. Even pale flesh Exogini feel different in hand. To me, these look as if they are M.U.S.C.L.E.s that have been have dipped in paint or dyed. 

The soft plastic base for your 195 looks like one of those toys that you turn inside out and wait for it to pop up into the air on it's own:

https://en.wikipedia...children's toy.

It is in no way a M.U.S.C.L.E. product, but it's size, hole placement, and near perfect color match make it an excellent stand for your figure!

#3 Haby

Haby

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 May 2021 - 04:31 AM

Thank you for the info. I believe you are spot on about that purple base being one of those popper things. It really is amazing how close in color it is to #195. As far as the other figures, they do have the same feel as a normal M.U.S.C.L.E.  Also, I tried scraping the bottom of one of the feet, as well as making a tiny microscopic slit with a razor knife. They seem to have been molded in this color, not dyed or painted. Do you know if bootlegs would typically have trademarks on them? Thanks again!

#4 fuzzbuster

fuzzbuster

Yes

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 2303 posts

Posted 30 May 2021 - 05:07 AM

Bootlegs come in many varieties, many of which still bear the trade markings. In fact, it tends to be more common among the lower quality/hastily reproduced bootlegs. Obscuring or replacing any of the figure's features takes some effort, and it is not uncommon for that aspect to be ignored by a bootleg manufacturer.

This, of course, applies to bootlegs cast in any material, metallic rubber not excluded:

Attached File  metallics.jpg   153.79K   14 downloadsAttached File  metallics2.JPG   90.93K   14 downloads

#5 Haby

Haby

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 May 2021 - 04:57 PM

You're the best! Thank you for taking the time.

#6 cloning007

cloning007

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 11:59 AM

they look like muscle men with paint on them 

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com