• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Beligerant1

Beligerant1

Boobie Smooth the Politician

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E., now just the colored figs since i have a complete flesh set; video games; ebay; work

Posted 23 March 2003 - 09:41 AM

Damn, how come toymakers dont make more packages that you can open without damaging the packaging. Like my painted kinkeshi, you can slide off the back to look at or play with the figures, but you can put it back and it looks like the package has never been opened. I am writing this mainly about the new motu figures, they are so cool and i want to be able to display them in a cool pose or something, but i want the packaging too. I suppose from the viewpoint of the business, if you make it so collectors have to buy two of everything (one open for display and one for keeping mint) you make more money.
Anytime somebody needs you, don't let them down, although it grieves you, Some day you'll need someone like they do, looking for what you knew - LZ

#2 musclemenkids

musclemenkids

Stompin' on your face!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1598 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 09:59 AM

yeah they screw you all the way man. take my battle set, i can open it display the figs take a photo and put them back, good as new. i had to throw away my MOTU packaging because its just rubbish once the figures are out. :angry:
"FRUIT OOZE IS WETLY LEWD SO
STAY DRY IN RUBBER BOOTS AND.."

#3 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 10:13 AM

Mattel probably didn't consider this because that type of packaging would add extra cost to the product and would appeal to a relatively small contingency of collectors.

As a partial solution to your problem, I would suggest that you try using an exacto knife to open your toy. If you cut the bubble on three sides right at its base (not where the bubble is in contact with the card, though, since you might rip the card) you can just open the packaging like a door and take the figure out. This worked extremely well with POTF2 figures, but with something larger like He-man, you may have to experiment with the cut to see which cuts look best and keep the figure from falling out.

While we're on the subject of the toy packaging, what's the deal with the twisty-ties?! Sometimes it takes a half an hour to unpack some toys! If they just make decent under-bubbles, they don't have to worry about twisty-ties!

-Nathan

#4 Knuxman

Knuxman

Reject False Icons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1293 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 10:33 AM

yeah, blister packs suck, i have a digimon figure set in a slide off case and it is awesome.
"So it goes."
~Vonnegut

#5 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 10:52 AM

Wouldn't slide-off cases make theivery easier?
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

And you are here, with them, as so many specks of sand.

#6 Sniper33

Sniper33

Local Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2912 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 11:19 AM

Wouldn't slide-off cases make theivery easier?

You would most likely go to a store and see nothing but empty SEALED boxes.

But that packing is good for like what you all said, to open them and place them back. The traditional ones with the cardboard are good for characters your gonna keep out of the box, and really dont care. The new plastic ones (new spawn packaging) is the best for collectors I would say, but hard as heck if you want to open them.

Posted Image

#7 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 11:22 AM

While we're on the subject of the toy packaging, what's the deal with the twisty-ties?!  Sometimes it takes a half an hour to unpack some toys!  If they just make decent under-bubbles, they don't have to worry about twisty-ties!

I heard that! I stopped untying them a LONG time ago, they are such a pain in the arse. Go to your local Radio Shack and spend $5 on a pair of "nippy cutters" They work great at getting those ties out of the way quickly! Nail clippers work, but not as well, and also they can't get those hard to reach places.

#8 WhoDatMuscle

WhoDatMuscle

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 12:19 PM

I definately need to invest in a pair of those nippy cutters. It's not so bad for me to have to spend a half hour opening a Transformer, since I'm an adult and have learned a little (okay, very little) patience. But when you're at a kids birthday party or Christmas, and they're hopping from one foot to the other wanting to play with a certain toy, they don't want to hear "Okay, only fifteen twist-ties to go."
"I'm drivin' the hell outta this truck!"

#9 Knuxman

Knuxman

Reject False Icons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1293 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 12:27 PM

lol, i know too well the evils of wire and it drives me nuts, i once bought a lost in space robot toy in 1998(the newer one) ive almost got it out! j/k!
"So it goes."
~Vonnegut

#10 Rokk

Rokk

Alton Brown's Evil Twin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 12:52 PM

The twist-ties drive me insane. It takes forever just to get a toy out of the package. A twist cutter is a great idea. I'm going to have to get one.

Using an exacto knife is a great idea. That is what I use when opening up my toy packages. It would be great if toy makers thought more of the collector, but in reality, they are going to do whatever is the cheapest and easiest way to package toys.

#11 Knuxman

Knuxman

Reject False Icons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1293 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 12:54 PM

i hate it more when it actually goes THROUGH the figure, this is rare but pisses ya off pretty bad.
"So it goes."
~Vonnegut

#12 Beligerant1

Beligerant1

Boobie Smooth the Politician

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E., now just the colored figs since i have a complete flesh set; video games; ebay; work

Posted 23 March 2003 - 03:07 PM

I dont think that having packages that had a back that slides off would make theivery easier. Theivery is pretty easy no matter how you cut it (back in highschool i did a lot myself, mostly cds, and i can tell you a sharp swiss army knife on your keychain can take out a blister pack pretty swiftly :angry:) Disclaimer: Stealing is Bad, don't do it, court costs, lawyer costs, and community service arent fun!! But anyway, i think those types of collector freindly packages still have staples through them, but you can remove those pretty easy and they dont really leave a big mark.
Anytime somebody needs you, don't let them down, although it grieves you, Some day you'll need someone like they do, looking for what you knew - LZ

#13 AmoiMan

AmoiMan

Garlic Energized

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1614 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 10:59 PM

I dont think that having packages that had a back that slides off would make theivery easier. Theivery is pretty easy no matter how you cut it (back in highschool i did a lot myself, mostly cds, and i can tell you a sharp swiss army knife on your keychain can take out a blister pack pretty swiftly ^_^) Disclaimer: Stealing is Bad, don't do it, court costs, lawyer costs, and community service arent fun!!

HAHAHAHA....true, very true.. B) B)
Posted Image

#14 Drtooth

Drtooth

germaphobe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 10:18 AM

While we're on the subject of the toy packaging, what's the deal with the twisty-ties?! Sometimes it takes a half an hour to unpack some toys! If they just make decent under-bubbles, they don't have to worry about twisty-ties!

Damn right! I mean, the worst is when the little plasticy things are split on the wire, so it gets stuck. I just get the scissors and cut the b**tards off! man, Playmates, why the hell do you need to do that, huh? Takes an hour to get my Simpsons and Turtles out....
Posted Image

#15 ApplianceMan

ApplianceMan

Always on Liquify

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 09:50 AM

Sometimes they need to tie things down, like if they have figures displayed in a huge box standing up or something, but I don't see why they need to do it in a blister pack. Don't ever buy one of those Chap Mei army vehicles if you don't want to spend at least half an hour removing all the stuff.

I used to keep Star Wars packages in tact. Usually I'd cut the top and sides from the front to make a flap, then take out the figure and accessories. But it took up too much space to keep the bubbles, so now I just cut the bubbles off with an exacto knife and keep the cards, even for dollar store figures. And one for each Ultimate Muscle series.

#16 Sniper33

Sniper33

Local Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2912 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 10:30 AM

They might tie them down so that it makes it harder for people to steal the figures and such. But they really dont have to put as much as they do with some of them.

Posted Image

#17 Knuxman

Knuxman

Reject False Icons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1293 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 10:33 AM

ok, i just saw a gi joe vehicle that had a total of about 30 ties and 6 were going through it! thats just stupid...........................
"So it goes."
~Vonnegut

#18 Liokaiserbf

Liokaiserbf

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 06:51 PM

Double stupid is Hasbro with the TF toys. Seriously I have had the trays be a pain more then the ties yet on these same ones there's a, eeh I won't say drove me batty going thru it.

Now I have to say on worse ties it is the TFs. Reason I love the Japanese versions, Gigatron (RiD Megatron) was just in a tray with a clear lid over it. Worked great and with the packaging desgins on the box you really didn't want to mess it up too much (same with the inside.)

Just be happy Hasbro isn't doing UM toys, the minis would probably have a tie on each limb, and 20 or so on the duo ones. X_x

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com