#1 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:48 PM

http://sickbricks.com/

I saw these today at Toysaurus, and they are a pretty interesting take on block figures... I might grab a two pack.

#2 Sixthwizard

Sixthwizard

6thWizard

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1977 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 04:21 PM

Toysaurus. Haha...I like that!

#3 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5097 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:18 PM

Rawr.

The Tightpants Trooper figure makes my pants tight, but I'm not sure I'd pick any of these up.

#4 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:32 PM

Rawr.

The Tightpants Trooper figure makes my pants tight, but I'm not sure I'd pick any of these up.

$5 for a two pack isn't terrible. I'm willing to sample the line, because it's hard to tell what the quality of the plastic is. I kind of want to get a couple of the one with the robot arm, so I can make a rad robo zombie, but I'm not sure if buyer's remorse would rear it's ugly head afterwards.

#5 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 14 February 2015 - 06:36 AM

I haven't seen any yet but I'll keep my eyes peeled. My kiddo loves LEGO so I'll probably nab her a pack if I find any.
<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#6 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
  • Interests:Creepers, chompies, iszs, zombies, trashies, tikis, minions, mordles, murlocs, mushroomies, skeletons, ghosts, gremlins, goblins, gargoyles, demons, devils, dryads, plant mutants, bug mutants, fish mutants, creatures with one eye, creatures with more than two eyes, other monsters, muties, and meanies. Stormtroopers, Jawas, Toy Story aliens, Hulk, Groot, Gilman, Gormiti, Cthulhu, Swamp Thing, Toxie, Treebeard, Muckman.
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Beetlejuice and Ghostbusters minis!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 19 February 2015 - 08:26 PM

SickBricks by Spin Master (makers of Bakugan, Crazy Cubes, etc) debuts at Toyfair 2015.

Video:

https://www.youtube....bed/frtrnBkvJpQ

Photos:

Attached Files

• Attached File  sb1.jpg   108.31K   15 downloads
  • Attached File  sb2.jpg   72.33K   17 downloads

Edited by steverotters, 19 February 2015 - 08:26 PM.

#7 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
  • Interests:Creepers, chompies, iszs, zombies, trashies, tikis, minions, mordles, murlocs, mushroomies, skeletons, ghosts, gremlins, goblins, gargoyles, demons, devils, dryads, plant mutants, bug mutants, fish mutants, creatures with one eye, creatures with more than two eyes, other monsters, muties, and meanies. Stormtroopers, Jawas, Toy Story aliens, Hulk, Groot, Gilman, Gormiti, Cthulhu, Swamp Thing, Toxie, Treebeard, Muckman.
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 19 February 2015 - 08:34 PM

These could be pretty cool.

1. I like the name

2. I have a deep respect for anyone genuinely trying to give Lego a run for their money

3. I'm not a huge fan of blind-bags, but it does allow the toyline to show up in more places

4. Multi-packs and blind-bags equal $2 or less per figure -- nice price

5. I'm a little thrown off by the large brick-builds -- not my thing -- but again, an even more obvious attempt to go after Lego

6. I like the humor and parody of the names and figures

7. Not a fan of the APP game tie-in -- but I get it as a winning gimmick (going after Minecraft too it seems)

8. Tie-in with Cartoon Network, wha?

9. Lots of monsters in addition to the requisite pirate, ninja, super hero. etc

10. Somewhat like miniature (less expensive) versions of the Skylanders Swap-Force as far as the combo/game-play gimmick

-1. I just noticed that they have one arm each -- seems pinheaded

-2. Notice that the brick-built  "epic monsters" are mock-ups with Sharpie details!  Obviously the mere completion of these is dependent upon the success of the initial launch and possibly ironing out some legal details.  I wish they had had enough confidence in their toyline to put these right out in Lego's face from the start! 

Still, these are the coolest thing I've seem from Toyfair 2015. 

Attached Files

• Attached File  sb3.jpg   48.54K   2 downloads

Edited by steverotters, 19 February 2015 - 09:06 PM.

#8 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 09:04 PM

I'm going to combine this with the preexisting thread on these.

#9 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 19 February 2015 - 09:21 PM

The rollout is 3-12, so it looks like you have one of those TRUs that don't pay attention to release dates. :)

The website is super weak.  Just awful.

It looks like there are 24 figures on their site. I wonder if they will expand in waves or series.  Lots of room for expansion. They have created 8 factions with several having only one character each so far. 

One Arm! WHY?

WHY?

One thing about Spin Master is that they try to parlay their original toylines into partnerships with bigger franchises. 

Marvel and DC are probably out because they will conflict with Lego partnerships.

TMNT is with Mega Bloks (again), and will probably be out. 

But I bet there is some franchise that will partner perfectly with these SickBricks -- hey, maybe GPK? haha

Edited by steverotters, 19 February 2015 - 09:54 PM.

#10 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 09:25 PM

I mean, it's an interesting thing, but I am saving my money for some of the other minis coming out, like the Marvel 500, those WWE mono minis (which people are still complaining about... Those Road Warriors still look rad as f**k), and I hate to admit those Ugglys Pet Shop figures appeal to me. These might get my money, if there wasn't so much else already coming out.

#11 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 19 February 2015 - 09:37 PM

Based on Toyfair news that I've heard, I would put these as #1 because, man, I really want someone to go after Lego. Even in a small way.  I was predicting that this would be the next step for Funko.  I still say that in 1-2 years Funko will have come up with brick building figures, with staying power.  Hasbro will fall and Funko is taking their place.  Mark my words. :)

Anyway all I am looking forward to:

1. SickBricks

2. GPK x Funko Mystery Minis

3. Marvel 500

4. Ugglys Pet Shop

5. Whatever Mega Bloks does with TMNT

6. Whatever Mega Bloks does with Star Trek

7. Whatever Mega Bloks does with Terminator

8. Imaginext x Power Rangers

9. Funko Marvel Dorbz

10. Ghostbuster monos (DST)

That's about it. I have a feeling Moose is killing off Mutant Mania and Hasbro is killing off Kre-o too.

Edited by steverotters, 19 February 2015 - 10:12 PM.

#12 Remington

Remington

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 11:45 PM

So these are out in usa now? the website says "coming 3/12" so farrrrr if thats true, I really like these guys and I even wanna try the game out..gonna go check my toysRus tommorrow for them.

#13 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 23 February 2015 - 12:03 AM

I looked at two TRUs today and nothing yet.  Ironmask is either in Canada or his store put them out way early, or both. 

#14 Remington

Remington

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 12:05 AM

awe man, guess we'll have to wait, but the wait sure will hurt... I saw more pictures of them and there's some REALLY cool looking ones.

#15 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:41 AM

I'm in Ohio, and I have seen these at two different Toysaurus locations. However, it does stand to mention, that I live in a large test market area, so that may have more to do with it.

#16 Remington

Remington

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:46 AM

I live in ohio too! well I searched toysrus finally today, I sadly didnt see any, so do you by any chance remember what there by? the legos? Ionix? maybe I just missed them.

#17 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:47 PM

By the Legos at the Sawmill road location, near the electronics at Polaris.

#18 Remington

Remington

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:33 PM

2ap4za.jpg

NICE! so I went back after you said they were by the electronics and such, for some reason I didnt think to check there, they are by all the skylanders/Amiiba's, they were kinda in the corner hiding, but there was tons and it was fully stocked, I noticed that the "blind bags" actually have a clear spot on the back so you can easily see what your getting which I think is cool so I dont have to feel the bags for an hour to find the right ones first.

There is a * marking which of the figures are "rare" on the piece of paper you get..I dont get what makes them rare though, It does seem like the bad thing for everyone who is going to get these is you might have to buy the "Sets" to get certain/all figure's, which really suck's if thats true because I dont like the sets personally, but LOVE the figures. In the blind bag box that I found.. there was about 25-30 or so packages, it seemed like a fresh new box too. I didnt really see to many different figures and there seemed to be about 4-5 of each kind. There is also a Cat Mutant figure with a set that I can't seem to find many pictures of. There are two five packs and the packs are really good and seemed to have a nice mix of characters only downside is you only get 2 of the bricks with the faction marking. The single packs come with 1 brick always. I think there's also five two packs with one brick in each. Might have to do some thinking to get all the characters and not get doubles or to get more bricks if you care about that.

The Plastic is definitally thinner and feels lighter then lego but I got past that pretty fast.

I didnt see any of these other "blind bags" and Im thinking they might only be at walmart? Or not released yet? I know with tenkai knights I could only find the blind bags series figures at walmart but never could find them at toysrus so they do this somtimes.

34g6cl1.jpg

I really wanted to find these way more. I always like to hear what people see in the "blind bag" boxes to get a better idea of how they are packaged.

Favorite Fig:Samurai Swordmaster

Edited by Remington, 24 February 2015 - 07:00 PM.

#19 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:23 PM

What are your thoughts on them only having one arm? That is a design element that really bothers me.

#20 Remington

Remington

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:57 PM

Yeah it definitally bothers me too, ecspcially when you put another weapon/arm in the open spot..They just look so much better! Still wasnt enough to break me on the toy line or anything, but It would have been absolutely perfect. I still need to check my local walmart for the other blind bags. I really want that red looking one with the metal mouth guard and the axe.

Edited by Remington, 24 February 2015 - 09:58 PM.

#21 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:50 PM

Are there 24 on the checklist as shown on the website?

#22 Remington

Remington

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:07 AM

The checklist is showing 22, thats weird..and I keep seeing different ones on the sick bricks youtube channel that I can't seem to find pictures of and I didnt see them in ToysRus.

2hiaz46.jpg

EDIT: Bought the Two pack with Gus Groucho, It was the last one and the only way to get him.

About the game and More characters to come-->

Edited by Remington, 25 February 2015 - 11:36 PM.

#23 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:51 PM

It seems this thread has exploded since the last time I was here!

I grabbed two blind packs today for my kid and I as a reward for some good behaviour. I'll be throwing up another quick review on the ironhaus blog sometime in the near future, (possibly this weekend even!) Time permitting, of course. I'm going to refrain from saying anything else so that you guys can check out my full opinion on them later.

Edited by Draznar, 28 February 2015 - 04:52 PM.

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#24 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 07 March 2015 - 05:12 AM

I found the 4 different 2-pack SickBricks today at TRU.  No blind-bags were stocked.  The 2-packs were on one of the pegs where Mutant Mania used to be -- which is now completely gone.  Anyway, I only got one pack because, despite much anticipation (see above enthusiasm), I was not impressed at all. 

1.  I should have grabbed two 2x2 Lego bricks to prepare myself for this.   They are really tiny.  In my mind, I had thought of them as being a bit bigger.  Nope, super tiny. 

2.  Having only one arm is as ridiculous as it sounds.  I wrote Spin Master a couple weeks ago and asked why they only have one arm, and I got no reply.  I really don't understand how these went through pitch meetings -- and strategy meetings -- and the creation and development of figures with only one arm was allowed to proceed to production.  Unbelievable.

3. The only reason I can come up with for allowing only one arm -- and I am really stretching here, because nothing of this nature is explained -- is so you can display two figures on a single display brick.  Just put them side-by-side, like conjoined twins, with one arm on the opposite side of each of the two figures.  The Kre-o Cityville micro-figures would also display similarly with two figures per brick, and guess what, they even had all four arms!

4. My pseudo-logic for having only one arm falls apart when you realize that the SickBricks are not always made as faction-based pairs. This is a whole different flaw. 

5.  $5 turns out to be a lot for 8 tiny pieces: 1 display brick, 2 legs/torso bricks, 2 head bricks, 2 arms, 1 hat/ear piece.   That's it. Lego doesn't even rip this hard. 

6.  In a simple redesign, each figure would have 1 leg brick, 1 separate torso brick, 1 head brick, and 2 freaking arms!  That would make each figure slightly taller with the correct number of arms. And there would also be more options for the mix-and-match gimmick, which they insist is something people want.

7. App game = honestly, who really cares. (Seriously, if the game rocks and people actually play it, that does not change the inferiority of the figures.)

8. WTF! The digital game versions have two arms! Why in the heck don't the figures!

Man, I really, really wanted to like these -- but, as is, I see another half-assed attempt to compete with Lego that ultimately fails hard. 

PS -- The checklist shows 22 figures, while the website currently shows 34.  So, I guess more one-armed brick bandits are on the way. Yippie.

Edited by steverotters, 07 March 2015 - 06:07 AM.

#25 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:35 AM

I never could bring myself to sample the line. My first take, was that it was interesting, but I (less furiously) came to the same conclusions as the above post.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spin master, lego, kre-o, mega bloks, block, brick, rotten walker

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com