• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 ComradeCuttlefish

ComradeCuttlefish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 02:35 PM

There are now too many people collecting Battle Beasts. While I do appreciate this board because it allows me to trade and be in contact with other collectors, it has also attracted new collectors and caused some old collectors to collect and spend more. The latter examples are a bad thing. They have caused the price of Battle Beasts to rise. It may seem a bit elitist of me, but I wish we could weed out the temporary collectors.

How has this affected me? On the one hand, the increased activity has allowed me to trade more because of the increase in people collecting and to sell my extras for high prices, but it has also caused me to pass on many auctions because prices are rising to ridiculous levels. I guess any good collector--or economist!--knows to sell while prices are high and to wait things out and allow prices to return to their normal levels before buying. Time will tell.

Edited by CuttleFishforsale, 01 April 2005 - 02:36 PM.

#2 Dusk

Dusk

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 02:51 PM

I for one am glad that this board exsist. For me it helps identify what would be consider high or low prices. It helps identify variances and what is rare and common. Hell I never knew there were clear BBs or even sunbursts.

Keep in mind high demands can also be a good thing. There could be more BBs for sell (hard ones that would rarely be seen to show up) and inturn more deals.

I use this board (specially the check list) it has helped me out alot (I am not aware of any other forum/magazine that displays a full pitcured list with prices).

Thanks
Billy aka Dusk

Ebay - Dusk3375

#3 roland13

roland13

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1134 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 03:56 PM

My 2 cents. I don't think the prices have gone up at all. When I began collecting again, the prices for the higher numbered Lasers where really high. Like $300 high, they aren't that high now. I bought my Stone Cobra for $175, before that they where minimum $300+

Of course, you still have to be patient and wait for the deals. I really couldn't believe the amount of people i have bought from that had huge high numbered collections. They where all in the USA, I missed out on Skull Grotess and the yellow sled by about 5 minutes for $200. Another member of this board got that deal. Well I ended up buying something else from that seller and he had more stuff for sale. So I filled a huge hole in my collection.

Eaon

#4 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 03:58 PM

Just like any other old toyline, the prices will go up and down depending on the current quantity of new collectors. Patience is a virtue.

By the way, I agree with Roland, prices have come down a LOT. While it is true that the common beasts arte up slightly, the lasers are cheaper than I have ever seen them.

#5 Personality #9

Personality #9

Suedehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts (I migrated over from the Beastformers boards), the sciences, Baseball (Huge St. Louis Cardinals fan) and of course, women.

Posted 01 April 2005 - 04:14 PM

If I had a dollar for everytime that davefishes outbid me on ebay... :p

As far as I'm concerned, this board is one of the best things that has happened to me all year! :D The information that's available here and the people I've met have helped me to become wiser in my collection hunting. And it has helped to bring me in contact with people with items for sale so that I can avoid the hassles of ebay and not have to worry about getting outbid by anyone *ahem* davefishes...

I know that I've saved money by dealing directly with people that have had items that I wish to purchase. Since I've joined, I've been able to add to my collection figures that are only seen rarley one ebay. Such as Skull Grotess, Hustlebear and the ever so elusive Kickback, all the while not having to worry about the price sky-rocketing or about being outbid at (literally) the last second.

I am also under the opinion that the more collectors the better. People buying lots to get one or two figures that they need and then turning around and either trading them within the community or simply resaleing them is very healthy for collectors and buyers alike. It keeps items available for those who wish to purchase them and if your patient, you'll get it at a decent price. We've all seen this happen, and I've been lucky a few times myself. For example, I've purchase a Brown Lion, Dragon Seahorn and Flying Dragon (all separetly) all for about $200 within the last year or so via ebay and patience. While in the past I've seen a Flying Dragon go for well over $200 alone! :o
Formally known as Artimus Prime

#6 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 04:34 PM

There are now too many people collecting Battle Beasts. While I do appreciate this board because it allows me to trade and be in contact with other collectors, it has also attracted new collectors and caused some old collectors to collect and spend more. The latter examples are a bad thing. They have caused the price of Battle Beasts to rise. It may seem a bit elitist of me, but I wish we could weed out the temporary collectors.

How has this affected me? On the one hand, the increased activity has allowed me to trade more because of the increase in people collecting and to sell my extras for high prices, but it has also caused me to pass on many auctions because prices are rising to ridiculous levels. I guess any good collector--or economist!--knows to sell while prices are high and to wait things out and allow prices to return to their normal levels before buying. Time will tell.

GREAT APRIL FOOLS joke CuttleFishforsale, however, I will say this just to show everyone the difference between what it was like before this site came along a year ago!

#1 Prices in all toy lines go up when the supply is low/demand is high and the prices go down when the supply is high and the demand is low.

#2 There are the same # of collectors searching for BB/LB as there always have. When I started there were even more collectors searching out the high LB's and they were forkin' out a lot more than $300 a figure...try $500-$600 a figure!!! Now that is competition! Not to mention, there were collectors with deep pockets bidding up all high LB's just to make sure the newbs were paying high prices and not getting them too cheap...which totally SUCKED!!!

#3 There was little support of newbs unlike this site!

#4 There was little dependable info. Most the info came directly from dealers which always seems to make whatever they had for sale ultra rare!

#5 There was NO PRICE GUIDE, especially one that honestly reflects the up and down prices they sell for both on Ebay and in private sales!

I could go on and on, but, why?

If someone is gonna give up so easily, then why collect something as challenging as these?

Just my 2 cents,
TGB

Edited by THEGODBEAST, 01 April 2005 - 04:35 PM.

#7 ComradeCuttlefish

ComradeCuttlefish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 06:06 PM

GREAT APRIL FOOLS joke CuttleFishforsale, however, I will say this just to show everyone the difference between what it was like before this site came along a year ago!

#1 Prices in all toy lines go up when the supply is low/demand is high and the prices go down when the supply is high and the demand is low.

#2 There are the same # of collectors searching for BB/LB as there always have. When I started there were even more collectors searching out the high LB's and they were forkin' out a lot more than $300 a figure...try $500-$600 a figure!!! Now that is competition! Not to mention, there were collectors with deep pockets bidding up all high LB's just to make sure the newbs were paying high prices and not getting them too cheap...which totally SUCKED!!!

#3 There was little support of newbs unlike this site!

#4 There was little dependable info. Most the info came directly from dealers which always seems to make whatever they had for sale ultra rare!

#5 There was NO PRICE GUIDE, especially one that honestly reflects the up and down prices they sell for both on Ebay and in private sales!

I could go on and on, but, why?

If someone is gonna give up so easily, then why collect something as challenging as these?

Just my 2 cents,
TGB

While you certainly caught the exaggerations thrown into my post for today, I hope you didn't dismiss my entire point, because it was not a joke. I believe I have been a very successful collector because of my patience. I fully intend to remain patient now, even when I see 2-packs selling for $50 each when I was buying them for $5-$15 just a few years ago. I am by no means "giving up" just waiting for the temporary collectors to pass before I begin buying more moc. As I said in my original post, however, the temporary collectors are still good to trade with. I still need a few weapons. And the more collectors, the more of an opportunity there is to find someone to trade with.

#8 Red Marauder

Red Marauder

Mild, Medium, or Extra Nerdy?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 07:25 PM

You can't just pass off anybody as a 'temporary collector'. There are no trademark signs. I'm an extremely cautious collector, so much so that I've missed out on great deals on and off eBay that could easily have been mine. Like Buy It Now auctions for a $50 Battle Savannah MIB. I kick myself for it, but everyone's reasons are going to be different.
Preaching the depraved sermons given to us from the heavy metal gods!!!

#9 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 08:03 PM

You can't just pass off anybody as a 'temporary collector'. There are no trademark signs. I'm an extremely cautious collector, so much so that I've missed out on great deals on and off eBay that could easily have been mine. Like Buy It Now auctions for a $50 Battle Savannah MIB. I kick myself for it, but everyone's reasons are going to be different.

He is generalizing all mid range collectors and newbs...which is soooooo inaccurate it isn't even funny. ;)

I have seen newbs dive in head first and I have seen newbs show much restraint.

I have seen seasoned vets do the same on both ends!!!

This place ROCKS because of all the NEW BLOOD and AWESOME ENERGY!!! :D ;)

PERIOD!!! :lol:

TGB

#10 dark_eternal

dark_eternal

Master of Shadows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 03:02 AM

It may seem a bit elitist of me, but I wish we could weed out the temporary collectors.

Weed out? you sound like Hitler or something. temporary or not, everyone deserves to enjoy these toys in any manner they choose. i got my kickback for $150 mint with weapon. i got a grin reefer, flying dragon and scope cougar mint with weapons for $400. dont tell me the prices have gone up, i know better. i didnt come into this line thinking i was gonna collect every figure, you wouldve labeled me as a temporary collector. Now i have every figure, and most of the variants...what about you?
"Strongest of the scions created by the gods, they feared his power, and so kept him confined to the dark. So indomitable is his strength that all things are by him twisted and pressed into oblivion. He alone fashions the laws governing all things, and administers punishment in place of the gods. So is he dark eternal, and his authority is absolute."

#11 Dusk

Dusk

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 09:50 AM

yikes, I just looked over your collection Jlb. I have no clue what you are complaining about you have just about everything. It puts my small collection to shame.
Billy aka Dusk

Ebay - Dusk3375

#12 ComradeCuttlefish

ComradeCuttlefish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 01:42 PM

It may seem a bit elitist of me, but I wish we could weed out the temporary collectors.

Weed out? you sound like Hitler or something. temporary or not, everyone deserves to enjoy these toys in any manner they choose. i got my kickback for $150 mint with weapon. i got a grin reefer, flying dragon and scope cougar mint with weapons for $400. dont tell me the prices have gone up, i know better. i didnt come into this line thinking i was gonna collect every figure, you wouldve labeled me as a temporary collector. Now i have every figure, and most of the variants...what about you?

Since when has collecting become a competition? I certainly am not out to make it one. If I felt it necessary to have every Battle Beasts item produced, I'll tell you, I could have all of it within a matter of a few short months. However, I take more pride in my bank account and my money making collections (they have all paid for themselves and made me lots of money) than in the collections themselves. And in addition to that, where is the fun in just buying everything all at once? Not only do you save money by being patient but you also have more fun tracking down the stuff. I am content not having every weapon at the moment for my set; I will track it all down eventually through trading and careful, frugal buying.

Like I said before, my only purpose of this post is to point out that as a hobby grows things will start costing more. I do not actively collect Laser Beasts, so it may well be the case they are dropping in value, but the stuff I do collect--loose and moc Battle Beasts--has been selling for much more lately. Certainly you will recognize that not everyone in the hobby now is in it for the long run; I am complaining about these people not in it for the long run, because they are driving up the prices on the stuff I want. That's all.

#13 dark_eternal

dark_eternal

Master of Shadows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 07:35 PM

I am complaining about these people not in it for the long run, because they are driving up the prices on the stuff I want. That's all.

I understand what your saying, but i personally havent seen a huge price hike in these figures. its been a while since i bought MOC, but those will always demand more. ive purchased figures on ebay that have been in pristine condition, and condition wise, are as good as anything MOC. if you average out the cost of BB/LB 5 years ago with BB/LB now, theres a definite reduction. ive seen a lot more figures in circulation now with the increased number of collectors so im thankful for that, temporary or not. you might have to pay more for the these figures, and it is competitive. If its worth it to you to collect a line like this though, than you should be willing to shell out a few extra bucks. eventually, your probably migrate to LB anyway and thats where you usually break even with the deals.
"Strongest of the scions created by the gods, they feared his power, and so kept him confined to the dark. So indomitable is his strength that all things are by him twisted and pressed into oblivion. He alone fashions the laws governing all things, and administers punishment in place of the gods. So is he dark eternal, and his authority is absolute."

#14 Bermuda Mohawk

Bermuda Mohawk

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 10:55 PM

If I felt it necessary to have every Battle Beasts item produced, I'll tell you, I could have all of it within a matter of a few short months.

This kinda brings up an interesting question, how do you know when you have it all?

I agree with some points you make, well, those along the liens that buying everything at once at amount dollar amount and strictly off auctions is not fun, or desirable. I try to limit my auction buying. However, I do not agree with you that prices are getting worse, they are surely coming off of their worst point in the last 10 years.

In 1997-8 I was getting cases of Lasers from a friend in Japan to sell in America. These were high numbers, Rayfers, Kickbcks, and I was selling them for $20 & $25 a pop. I sold through 3 cases of LB's and a case of $5-$10 BF's. Then in 2001 this massive price influx hits and all of a sudden these toys that were sellling for under $30 are now hitting $300+. Those crazy prices have peaked and begun to fall, and we are seeing more reasonable sales these days. I can maybe forsee a boom again, but not for soem time. Many of the collectors who caused the last price increase where collectors from many years back who only discovered the Japanese tie-ins then and then fought against others in a similar point of discovery. They were not newbies.

And this brings me back to my first question, how do you know when you have it all? Cause each time a new item surfaces, we see the same price leap, but it all cools down, and it's not cause the new colelctors, but because of the old mainstays.
So again, I agree with some points, but I think you're being overly harsh on the new members of the collectors community.

Edited by Bermuda Mohawk, 05 April 2005 - 10:56 PM.

--Dave

#15 Red Marauder

Red Marauder

Mild, Medium, or Extra Nerdy?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 04:24 AM

And finally, OF COURSE MOC prices are going up. There are less and less mint and intact card-packs now then there were back then, and as the line gets older and older, more of those will drop off. You should be equally as peeved at those wishy-washy collectors who will purchase MOC and then let them go to waste.
Preaching the depraved sermons given to us from the heavy metal gods!!!

#16 lazzy lizard

lazzy lizard

fiznucking chillin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Interests:love to collect all sorts of stuff mainly star wars(new & old), motu (new & old), glyos, beastformers, godzilla, and some 80's cartoons and tv show characters. love making customs too!

Posted 06 April 2005 - 05:41 AM

isn't that the way of new collectors when they realize that they didn't now what theye were getting into when theye decided to collect a certain line!

=)
AIN'T NO PARTY LIKE A BATTLE BEASTS PARTY CAUSE A BATTLE BEAST PARTY DON'T STOP!!!

VISIT MY CUSTOMS GALLERY>> http://www.littlerub...showtopic=17082

#17 Personality #9

Personality #9

Suedehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts (I migrated over from the Beastformers boards), the sciences, Baseball (Huge St. Louis Cardinals fan) and of course, women.

Posted 06 April 2005 - 08:00 AM

Many of the collectors who caused the last price increase where collectors from many years back who only discovered the Japanese tie-ins then and then fought against others in a similar point of discovery. They were not newbies.

Dave has a point here, and I fell into that category that he has mentioned.

As I've posted before, I was one of the lucky few to have most of my collection survive through my childhood and into my adulthood largely intact and in Mint/Near Mint condition. I did lose a few, but not many...

I was also one of the few Americans to get most of the 12 LB's that were released here in the States. I had all of them except the Condorassin, Zaraginian and Brain Mouse, and I actually had doubles of Anarchy and Rainbow Sam. So I had at least some knowledge of the LB's before I got back into the line in 2000, although it wasn't until late 2002 that I found out about the high end lasers (#'s 89-112). I had seen a couple pop up on ebay, before that, but I didn't actually know anything about them until around November/December of '02.

That being said, I did get into some bidding wars with other ebayers trying to get my hands onto those ever-elusive LB's, and I remember distinctly bidding against someone on the low end LB's, raising the price of the lower ended LB's that I didn't own up to ~ $45.00! ;) I didn't win the auction of course, but I feel that I tought that guy a lesson. :wub: Not even a week later, I won an auction with the Zaraginian, Condorassin and Tiger Pain for about $15.00! I was so proud...

Anyways, as I go on and on here, the point I'm trying to make is that since there is more knowledge about LB's out there, and since they do in fact pop up on ebay (and other places) on a somewhat regular interval now, people are getting wiser to the fact that these figures aren't quite as rare as sellers were originally claiming they were, and that is helping with prices falling to (at least) somewhat reasonable prices...
Formally known as Artimus Prime

#18 grimerslimer

grimerslimer

Crazy Bugger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 08:18 AM

Now would be the time to sell the really rare ones though.....bidding wars would make them worth a fortune! I sold a complete Cobra all alone for nearly $30 a couple of weeks ago!

This should make you happy Jlb....as you have such a love of money and are so proud that your collection has paid for its self.... considering the fact that from the sounds of it you have a near "complete" collection now what differance does it make to you if the prices are a little higher? It is those of us who are "new" who are taking the brunt of the hikes and providing a "free" collection for you.

Personally I prefer the attitude of TGB, who instead of complaining about how high the prices are right now, realizes that it's just a phaze and will come back down, then helps us out by informing us of that fact, telling us to be patient and not "overpay". His help saved me from trying to bid higher on some auctions for fear that the prices were only going to increase.

I guess I think that if anyone has the right to complain, it's the people who are new. Just my thought on the matter.

--grimey
Check out Paranormal Misadventures on Youtube

#19 roland13

roland13

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1134 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 10:38 AM

I sold a complete Cobra all alone for nearly $30 a couple of weeks ago

Wow, I generally sell them for $10 a piece. Series 3 are are worth about $10 each, Series 1 and 2 Are worth $7-$8 each. Except for the Variants, they can be worth anywhere from $8-$50 depending what you have.

Eaon

#20 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 09:07 PM

I sold a complete Cobra all alone for nearly $30 a couple of weeks ago

Wow, I generally sell them for $10 a piece. Series 3 are are worth about $10 each, Series 1 and 2 Are worth $7-$8 each. Except for the Variants, they can be worth anywhere from $8-$50 depending what you have.

Eaon

Eaon...

Are you missing what #59 has been selling for lately?

I have seen one a few months ago sell for $46 and lately many have ended for $20-$30!!!

He is highly desireable these days especially mint complete!!!

Not to mention, ALL 3rd series have risen to $15-$20+ each mint and complete.

I usually sell pink crabs for $20-$25, blue jags for $25, and black moles for $20.

The other variants...orange gorilla, orange plastic tortise, etc... $10-$12 or so.

Grimey,

Thanks for the comments, however, Dave Barry has told collectors this for sometime..."Prices always fluxuate when several collectors seek just a few items or newbs go in die hard." But, yes...save your money for either Yahoo Japan or good private sales deals!!! You will thank yourself later.

TGB

#21 roland13

roland13

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1134 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 09:50 PM

Hey
I still sell mine for $10 each, so whoever needs them let me know. Otherwise I will be listing about 50 Battle beasts on Ebay in the next couple of weeks or so.

Eaon

#22 grimerslimer

grimerslimer

Crazy Bugger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 10:13 PM

The only real "overpay" I made in the madness was a lot of 12 Beasts for about $60 shipped, but it did include a mint Blue Jag and mint Panda, (just days after I purchased one from jkaris :p , just my luck) as well as some others I needed.

Sometimes I kick myself, but I get over it. Since then I've regained my senses and only bid what I want in order to get a good deal. Before that lot and the Panda from jkaris I had not payed more than $5.50 for any beast, which included two mint complete cobra's! :D

So Eaon, you could hook me up with the last couple of beasts I need for my #1-76 (4, 36, 42, 54, 65 and 68 all w/o weapons), though the price would need to be negotiated. :D

--grimerslimer
Check out Paranormal Misadventures on Youtube

#23 ComradeCuttlefish

ComradeCuttlefish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 02:17 PM

It's funny that nearly after a month posting this that I have gotten many of the weapons and figure upgrades I wanted relatively cheaply. I've also gotten some unopend items very cheaply. It's just funny and kind of ironic.

Edited by CuttleFishforsale, 01 May 2005 - 02:17 PM.

#24 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 01 May 2005 - 02:34 PM

It's funny that nearly after a month posting this that I have gotten many of the weapons and figure upgrades I wanted relatively cheaply. I've also gotten some unopend items very cheaply. It's just funny and kind of ironic.

Yeah, funny. Maybe some of your other beliefs are wrong too.

;)
Posted Image

#25 ComradeCuttlefish

ComradeCuttlefish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 10:00 PM

Yeah, funny. Maybe some of your other beliefs are wrong too.

:p

That is a pretty simple way of thinking. Not everything is cause and effect by black and white actions. Just because I got some good deals recently through buying and trading does not mean that overall the many new members are not driving up the prices of the basic set (1-76) Battle Beasts. The prices of these items have gone up a great deal recently.

Edited by CuttleFishforsale, 04 May 2005 - 02:34 PM.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com