Theme© by Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Which Variants, Rarities & Factory-Flawed Beasts do you have?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jabroniville

Jabroniville

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 12:09 AM

I only knew of the few that were on the Toy Archive site, but have since discovered through here that there are more available (such as the Short Rabbit). I've not been really into collecting any but the MOST noticeable variants (like the Blue Jag and Pink Weasel), but some of the others interest me.

Mine:
* Both Tortoises. Oddly, I managed to end up with both without realizing it! I was considering aiming for the "Orange Base" Tortoise, but a random check of my shelf showed that I had the OTHER one lying around too!
* Blue Jaguar. One seller actually offered me him instead of the Red Jag, but I turned him down, as I actually prefer the red. Of course, I ended up buying his more-expensive Blue Jag later, thus making the whole thing more costly :).
* Pink Weasel.
* Orange Gorilla.
* I have "Glossy" versions of a couple: the Shark & Porcupine (with his darker-mustard armor). As a kid, those were the only "Variants" I knew of.

I don't own the "Yellow Headlights" Squirrel, but since I had two Squirrels, I just repainted one's so they LOOKED yellow. I consider that "okay", as I don't plan on screwing a buyer over with a "Fake Variant"- I even painted his OTHER red armor bits yellow so he'd look more-uniform, and not like an actual alternate version.

I don't think I care much for the "Painting Error" ones, though. Why would I pay MORE MONEY for a flawed Walrus or Mouse? I get that rarity is a big thing, but it just comes off as odd to me.

Also: What are you most-desired alternate versions, if you don't have them? I'd love a Black Mole and maybe a Plum Carp, but any "Factory Painting Alteration" is pretty neat to me. Even as a kid, I was kind of obsessed with which version was "better".

#2 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 19 June 2016 - 05:48 AM

The mouse and walrus, to my knowledge, are legitimate variants. They're found with relative ease, too. If they were just factory errors, there would be a handful of them at best. (Certainly not as many as there are now.)

I'm currently the proud owner of all the variants, (excluding factory paint differences and errors), for all from Series 1 - 3.

There are 3 tortoises, 3 porcupines, two gorillas, two jaguars, two crabs, two weasels, two walruses, two mice, two squirrels, two rabbits and two moles. (I might have missed some.)

The lower 12 laser beasts also have a variant in Rainbow Sam, one with painted eyes and one without. I don't own that one though!

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#3 Shadow Bat

Shadow Bat

Serious Collector

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 360 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 08:13 AM

I have all the Variants

For factory errors my favorite is my black faced gorilla, but I also have a Zatoichi Zariganian (the blind crayfish), a one eyed Tigerburn and about 10 other errors

Are we counting BDC variants? Because then I'd say the Yellow Eyed Carp is my favorite variant.

#4 Jabroniville

Jabroniville

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:28 PM

The mouse and walrus, to my knowledge, are legitimate variants. They're found with relative ease, too. If they were just factory errors, there would be a handful of them at best. (Certainly not as many as there are now.)

I'm currently the proud owner of all the variants, (excluding factory paint differences and errors), for all from Series 1 - 3.

There are 3 tortoises, 3 porcupines, two gorillas, two jaguars, two crabs, two weasels, two walruses, two mice, two squirrels, two rabbits and two moles. (I might have missed some.)

The lower 12 laser beasts also have a variant in Rainbow Sam, one with painted eyes and one without. I don't own that one though!

Oh yeah- I forgot the "different stamp placement" Tortoise. The only site I ever had to go on was that Toy Archive one, as I hadn't discovered this one yet. 

So there's a lot of "unpainted teeth" Mice & Walruses out there? Interesting- though I can't imagine why they'd make some like that on purpose. I would imagine they got done a whole line of them before realizing the mistake (unless they changed their minds halfway through). Are there dozens? Hundreds? I know know what qualifies as a "lot" in Battle Beasts parlance.

#5 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:43 PM

Oh yeah- I forgot the "different stamp placement" Tortoise. The only site I ever had to go on was that Toy Archive one, as I hadn't discovered this one yet. 

So there's a lot of "unpainted teeth" Mice & Walruses out there? Interesting- though I can't imagine why they'd make some like that on purpose. I would imagine they got done a whole line of them before realizing the mistake (unless they changed their minds halfway through). Are there dozens? Hundreds? I know know what qualifies as a "lot" in Battle Beasts parlance.

I believe they're in enough volume to be considered "uncommon." Not all that expensive either, which is usually another indicator of rarity.

On the slightly rarer side in terms of unpainted variants, I know the final figure I needed for my set was the unpainted sideburns porcupine. He is certainly a little more scarce.

Edited by Draznar, 22 June 2016 - 06:43 PM.

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#6 Glock

Glock

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 07:10 AM

The Yellow Eyed Carp.  Speaking of that. How many of these do we know exist in amongst our collectors?

#7 Jabroniville

Jabroniville

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:49 AM

Looking at them now, I can see you're right- I just bought an "Unpainted Tusks" Walrus, and I realized he even has different eyes and "armor bits" than the regular one! Those bright green eyes really "pop" on him. It was mentioned on the "Toy Archive" site that he had green paint, but I'd either forgotten it or skipped over it before.

So yeah, I've now upgraded by Beast Variants to include the Unpainted Walrus and the Black Mole- and since both came with their weapons, I'm not 74/76 for Battle Beast Weapons (missing only the Rooster's & Panther's). Also, I have the "dull paint" Bloodthirsty Bison, though I'm not sure if he's the rarer one or my "glossy" one is.

Now all I'm missing is Plum Carp, Short Rabbit, Back-Intact Tortoise, Dark Blue Sheep, Dull Rhino, Shiny Porcupine (well I HAVE one, but he's in "childhood owned" condition- ie. missing arms), Dark Blue Bird & Pink Crab.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com