Theme© by Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

M.U.S.C.L.E. ripoffs, spinoffs and weirdos....

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Drtooth

Drtooth

germaphobe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 01:12 PM

How many weird different versions of M.U.S.C.L.E. did all these companies create. I know about the cheap, "Alien wrestlers" figures, but what else is there?
Posted Image

#2 Sniper33

Sniper33

Local Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2912 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 01:53 PM

they made the C.U.T.I.E.'s, I never seen these at the stores (or at least i dont think i have).

Posted Image

#3 Drtooth

Drtooth

germaphobe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 01:59 PM

Hmmm... I JUST saw a web page with the Cuties on them. It's pretty much an insult to compaire the two, since they just made them up so the stereotypical girl won't feel left out with miniature characters like the Kinishi wrestlers.

Was there something calle N.I.N.J.A.s or something to that extent? ANy info?
Posted Image

#4 phillymadison

phillymadison

phillymadison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1044 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 02:32 PM

C.U.T.I.E.'s were made by mattel
so MUSCLE's wont get lonely B)

Also there was another kind of Multi-Colored 4 pack (and maybe a 10 pack?) that had (i think) real wrestlers in it. Might have been AWA or NWA.
There whole deal was them being "real" wrestlers not "Creature" wrestlers

there was another line out called MUSCLE it came out in the early 90's
They were more of an army type of figures that were (i think) smaller then M.U.S.C.L.E.'s and they had movable arms and legs

Army Ants seemed to be trying to ride the under 2" figure wave

So was Monsters In My Pocket, GUTS (they were about 3" if im not Mistaken), and Battle Beast

And then there is your good old fashion "No Name" figure from a .25 cent machine

Those are the diffrent figures i can think of back in the day off the top of my head -_-

Of course now there are Homies and U.M.
And Homies have there own knock offs called "hipsters" (there are others too)
The Only True Measure Of Success Of Any Hobby Is How Much You Enjoy Participating in it.
--------------------------------

View What M.U.S.C.L.E.'s I Have For Trade And Sale On muscledb.com CLICK HERE

#5 arforbes

arforbes

I lied, I cheated, I got banned!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6788 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 03:20 PM

There are also the numerous bootleg figures made by anonymous companies. I know for sure that one company that made bootleg M.U.S.C.L.E. figures is called Star Creatures. My mom got a hold of the vending machine operator at the grocery store she worked at he gave her his card with the companies name back when you could still get boots out of the vending machines.

-_-
AKA Yapiel, AKA balucard
I was banned! Read ALL about it! http://www.littlerub...showtopic=23333

#1 on the LRG Dishonest Members list!

#6 Sniper33

Sniper33

Local Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2912 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 06:20 PM

dont forget that Godbeast is making some, but his look pretty good though. Plus the way he has described them make them sound even better.

Posted Image

#7 arforbes

arforbes

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6788 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 08:59 PM

dont forget that Godbeast is making some, but his look pretty good though. Plus the way he has described them make them sound even better.

GODBEAST's repros are going to be sooo much better than any Bootlegs ever produced. :(

I am super confident in his work. They are going to be AWESOME!!! :sheep:

B)
AKA Yapiel, AKA balucard

#8 Sniper33

Sniper33

Local Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2912 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 09:06 PM

thats what i meant, i just read it again and it came off like his arent that great. But he does the GREAT work. I cant wait to see his finished products.

Posted Image

#9 Drtooth

Drtooth

germaphobe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 07:57 AM

So was Monsters In My Pocket, GUTS (they were about 3" if im not Mistaken), and Battle Beast

And then there is your good old fashion "No Name" figure from a .25 cent machine

Those are the diffrent figures i can think of back in the day off the top of my head ^_^

Of course now there are Homies and U.M.
And Homies have there own knock offs called "hipsters" (there are others too)

I am not too sure if Homies count... then we would count the Nickelodean and Arthur ones too. I have quite a few Nick ones, though, Eliza Thornberry, Donny Thornberry, Tommie from Rugrats, (the last three I keep getting), Catdog, Spongebob, Angry Beavers, and the Black kid from Hey Arnold.

But Monsters in my poket is an unfair "knock off or rip off or same as" or whatever. They had a caretoon! Why didn't WE get a M.U.S.C.L.E. cartoon? That has always Puzzled me.

But I have heard of Something called "Ninjas" what are they?
Posted Image

#10 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2003 - 08:08 AM

I don’t think we would ever be able to make a definitive list of knockoffs for one simple reason. MUSCLE wasn’t that popular.

With Star Wars it is easy to spot knockoffs and unlicensed products because there is a well-documented history. The MUSCLE history has been built by most of the people here. Tracing the MUSCLE line with Mattel is pretty easy because we have most of the stuff, but even that becomes difficult (i.e., Drunken Master).

Then when you try and trace unlicensed products or knockoffs it becomes nearly impossible. I know Nathan has a package of knockoffs on his website, but that might be the best example around.

#11 Drtooth

Drtooth

germaphobe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 11:52 AM

I don’t think we would ever be able to make a definitive list of knockoffs for one simple reason. MUSCLE wasn’t that popular.

With Star Wars it is easy to spot knockoffs and unlicensed products because there is a well-documented history. The MUSCLE history has been built by most of the people here. Tracing the MUSCLE line with Mattel is pretty easy because we have most of the stuff, but even that becomes difficult (i.e., Drunken Master).

Of course, George Lucas also has more lawyers than the Japanese company. I mean, they'd sue the pants off of someone doing an unauthorized set of Music in a little coffee bar. though, I wouldn't be surprised if a few of these squeaked by Lucas's watchfull Jed-eye!

Anything from Japan has had a history of being counterfieted like the unitens. Look at NINTENDO for example. After a while, they needed to build the machines with lock chips so counterfiet Donkey kongs didn't slip by taiwan. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Atari had more unlicenced games than real ones. not to mention alkl those Pokemon ripoffs that little kids actually bought (I don't even like the REAL thing..)

Of course, as is said, it's hard to tell if something is a counterfiet or a ripoff. I don't think Homies are even remotely related to Muscle figures. I mean, Ninjas, Cuties, and the like... yes.
Posted Image

#12 phillymadison

phillymadison

phillymadison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1044 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 10:16 PM

Ok Dr Tooth your question shall some what be answered

true story

I was sleeping and right in the middle of a good dream
at all at once i wake up
with something that keep knocking at my brain
before i go insane i hold my pillow to my head
and spring up in my bed
screaming out the words i dread...

I finally know what these Ninja's you are talking about!!!

Ok so maybe i didnt scream or spring up but pretty much the rest of it was true

Im not sure if they were called Ninja's but they were under 2" tall colored figures that looked like Ninja's

they came in yellow,red,black and maybe green and purple
(im positive about them being yellow red and black)

Anyway they had something special about them

A part of them would glow in the dark

sometimes it was a sword blade, knife, mask or glove but each one had a little spot that would glow in the dark

There was also Dinosaurs like this that had the Glow in the Dark gimmick they came in purple and green

(thats the only 2 colors i remember im sure there were more)

the dino's spots or teeth or eyes would glow

I had this awsome Ninja one it was red and he was in this round thing it was like he was a coin and his mask glowed in the dark

But at least now someone knows what you are talking about with those Ninja's ^_^
The Only True Measure Of Success Of Any Hobby Is How Much You Enjoy Participating in it.

#13 Kinnikux

Kinnikux

Devil Ashuraman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 05:09 AM

Do you guys remember those spinja things?

#14 phillymadison

phillymadison

phillymadison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1044 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 05:42 AM

OMG yes!!!

Those were awsome!!!

They came in a pack of 5 if im not mistaken

There was Gold and there was Gray or Blue Cant think of it maybe more

And ya put them in those weird Top spinning things that looked like a cigarette lighter (car type)

There was also an arena which was pretty cool were the ones you arent useing can sit and chill while they watched the others have it out in the center

Over all they were just tops with half of a body glued to the top lol

But what was really cool was they were made of metal well at least the bottoms were the top parts seemed pretty strong also

#15 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 08:38 AM

Yeah, I got a whole set, except for the HUGE battle arena which is a real bee-eye-itch to get a hold of.

#16 max powerz

max powerz

*squish squish* ^_^

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 10:03 AM

look at jkaris's ebay winnigs. Hes crazy for the spinjas. I remember guts when i was little and loved playing with them with marbles. That was fun times. I still got them somewhere.
I Sell some ultimate muscle and m.u.sc.l.e stuff, email/pm me for details
#012 king muscle (green foil lettering)
#013 terryman (green foil letterings)
#020 ramenman (blue foil letterings)
#045 kinikudriver (red and green foil letterings)
Series 2 CCG cards All and All Series 2 figures
Starcom Needs: ALL. Doubles, tripples, etc... Any condition welcome.

#17 arforbes

arforbes

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6788 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 10:12 AM

Spinjas are awesome! They are on ebay every now and then. Sometimes still in their original boxes. :lol:

:cry:
AKA Yapiel, AKA balucard

#18 ApplianceMan

ApplianceMan

Always on Liquify

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 12:43 PM

This probably isn't relevant, but there is a Homies ripoff called Playaz. They have a website at myplayaz.com I'm not really into these things although I did get a couple just for Muscle-esque collector's sake. I think the Playaz look a lot better (than Homies). They're not glossy, which makes them seem more legit somehow. And the paintjobs aren't as messy.

#19 AmoiMan

AmoiMan

Garlic Energized

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1614 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 01:09 PM

Im not sure if they were called Ninja's but they were under 2" tall colored figures that looked like Ninja's

they came in yellow,red,black and maybe green and purple
(im positive about them being yellow red and black)

Yes, they were pudgy little guys, too. Kinda looked as kids would on halloween if they dressed up as ninjas. I have a few, and my friend brian has many.
Posted Image

#20 Drtooth

Drtooth

germaphobe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 08:39 AM

Of course, I also remember back in 1993, those little pudgy troll doll shaped Power Ranger knockoffs in gumball machines too... sometimes I still see them.

But do you know what I hate? Those lame little alien ones that look like cheap knockoffs of Stitch from Lilo and Stitch.... I hate them. They never have the Nicktoons, Arthur, or Crash Bandicoot ones, just those and the barnyard Pooping animals!!!!
Posted Image

#21 EVOM

EVOM

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 01:15 AM

The ninjas with the glow in the dark paint were made by a company called Panosh. Exogini(Italian m.u.s.c.l.e.s) also used them in their series of figures. Albertinoz has a site with them on it, use the Exogini link here at Akia to check em out. :D

#22 AmoiMan

AmoiMan

Garlic Energized

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1614 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 09:05 AM

The ninjas with the glow in the dark paint were made by a company called Panosh.

hmmm...i have another figure, besides ninjas with panosh written on it's back. it's harder than muscle plastic, is yellow and white....and looks like some kind of machine....maybe i'll get a pic up of it
Posted Image

#23 MIWP

MIWP

Kinnikuman Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 04:40 PM

How about GODAIKIN ?
Are they Kinnikuman or just a copy?
Godaiken figures.... Similar to Kinnikuman..
I bet there are tons of like Kinnikuman products out there!
Lets keep on hunting!

#24 Drtooth

Drtooth

germaphobe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 09:18 AM

Did Ramenman have a special line of his own figures, since he had a popular spinoff? I recall someone brining it up somewhere, but I can't remember.......
Posted Image

#25 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 09:30 AM

Yeah, Ramenman was a separate, but very similar, line of figures. I believe these are examples of Ramenman kinkeshi (since they have different plastic than other kinkeshi), but I'm not sure. Johnny would know...

Ramenman

Ashuraman

Armored Kinnikuman

-Nathan

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com