Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 05 March 2008 - 08:56 AM

Makers of Airborne Settle False-Ad Suit With Refunds

By Mike Nizza

The following news may not astonish many of you, but feel free to quietly claim your cut: The makers of Airborne, a line of popular herbal supplements that was marketed as a “miracle cold buster,” have decided to settle the false-advertising complaints in a class-action lawsuit for $23.3 million, according to one of the plaintiffs in the suit.

While agreeing to reimburse customers for up to six purchases of Airborne products, the company made no stunning admissions. “Defendants deny any wrongdoing or illegal conduct, but have agreed to settle the litigation,” the company said in a statement.

Under the agreement, a special Web site was created here to accept claims from customers, who have spent far more than $23.3 million on the range of Airborne products, from Airborne On-the-Go and Airborne Nighttime to Airborne Gummi and Airborne Power Pixies, which is sweetened for children.

Who would ever believe that “an effervescent dietary supplement that was created by a school teacher” could cure the common cold? Evidently, quite a few people: the company says it took in more than $100 million from sniffly consumers through 2006, who followed the company’s advice to take the stuff at the first sign of symptoms and to expect relief within an hour or two. ...

Where to begin...

I used Airborne regularly about -- I think -- 2 years ago. I'm not going to say I wasn't affected by the advertising, but I can say that never once did I think Airborne could "cure" a cold I was developing. So, despite all the current hullabaloo, I have no problem with Airborne, because I don't feel they "duped" me.

I can say, however, that Airborne did work at what I used it for -- a boost to the immune system when I was starting to feel sick. (And I read the ingredients throughly before taking it.) I would take one in the morning before work and sometimes before bed. Almost immediately after taking an Airborne, I would feel slightly energized and refreshed. In fact, I soon realized that I could not take them before bed as they kept me up. (If I recall correctly, Airborne does not have caffeine in it.)

My purpose for using Airborne was that I hate taking cold medicine as it slows me down cognitively. I don't like to "drug" myself up. With that in mind, Airborne was a nice compromise. However, my wife and I had dinner with some friends, one of which is in the process of becoming a family doctor. He railed against Airborne saying it was no more than water and that all we were doing was drinking water and that alone was enough to provide the boost and good for a cold. Consequently, my wife has not bought anymore Airborne.

So what am I ranting about? Well, if Airborne mislead consumers by suggesting their product could cure colds or that the product had been subjected to rigorous testing that it actually hadn't been, well, then yes, they did wrong and deserve to be punished.

However, I'm also tired of reading stories in papers about topics of which I have personal knowledge, and noting how the reporting is indeed more of a story. Like I've said and thought countless other times, I wonder just how often when I read and hear news stories just how accurate and how much of the real picture I am getting?

I mean, whether the affects of Airborne were simply placebo or they actually energized and freshened people up, like myself, is all washed aside. What I'm tired of is the "experts" up on high telling all the "non-experts" what does and doesn't work. These so-called experts are usually scientists conducting experiments in labs and writing papers reviewed by other scientists.

Check out the first comment to this article:

Believable. People will do anything people on television will tell them. I see people disregard Physician advise because they heard an advertisement on TV. People want every little thing fixed with a pill. These morons do not deserve money!

— Posted by Kawrel

All I have to say, Mr. Kawrel, is go ask the "experts" about Climate Change. What's the cause, hm?

Unfortunately, Airborne probably isn't the best example to be defending in this instance and I am not real articulate about the "Ivory Tower" phenomenon going on right now with white-coated Scientists and their "studies" running everything right now -- including policy. And don't get me wrong, I am a Science enthusiast. Science and the scientific method have done so much for humanity that a list of its accomplishments would fill volumes.

However, I also know that "science" has destroyed cultures and denigrated traditions and remedies and practices that humans have used for generations! Sure, many of these things were simply "voodoo" but just as many were not, and we don't always have to wait for a white-coated scientist-priest to tell us what we can and can't do.

[/rant]
Posted Image

#2 mimoman

mimoman

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:23 AM

I think the family doctor you talked to got confused between Airborne and homeopathic remedies.

Homeopathy is this totally weird branch of alternative medicine which makes no sense whatsoever.

Airborne contains things like electrolytes and vitamins, so it's definitely not "just water".

#3 el midgetron

el midgetron

Squirrel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:52 PM

I had never heard of Airborne before seeing this on the news and didn't think much of it until reading your rant. After looking into it a bit and considering your testimony, I think this could very well be an attempt to discredit an effective/healthy remedy.

I found a blog with some interesting tid-bits about the Center for Science in the Public Interest. It paints the CSPI as a sensationalist "attack dog" that is hell bent of selling subscriptions of their newsletter.

In September 2004, CSPI executive director Michael Jacobson published an op-ed in The San Francisco Chronicle renewing his call to outlaw trans fats from the American diet. He wrote: “It’s time to dump partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, the quintessential symbol of modern food technology, into the garbage disposal of history.”

While he insists that trans fats are responsible for as many as 30,000 deaths a year (a highly questionable figure), Jacobson fails to mention that he is largely responsible for their heavier concentration in the American diet. In fact, CSPI was originally one of trans fats’ most vocal proponents.

The story dates to the mid-1980s, when CSPI launched an all-out assault on fast food restaurants that used beef fat and palm oil to cook their French fries. Jacobson led protests in front of restaurants and organized a massive postcard campaign aimed at their corporate headquarters. By the early ‘90s, most chains had replaced CSPI’s hated beef fat and tropical oils with the only viable alternative: partially hydrogenated oil, which contained trans fats. Jacobson claimed victory.

Along the path to this "success," CSPI busied itself exonerating hydrogenated oils from a number of studies linking them to increased levels of blood cholesterol. In 1988 CSPI wrote in its Nutrition Action Healthletter: "All told, the charges against trans fat just don’t stand up. And by extension, hydrogenated oils seem relatively innocent." And in a second article a year later, CSPI’s Leibman wrote, "The Bottom Line ... Trans, shmans."

http://www.activistc...view.cfm/oid/13

Could this lawsuit be an attempt to sell newsletters and grab headlines? Or could this be a tiny piece of a larger picture? I might not be the most unbiased person to answer that question. However, seeing something which appears to be made of very basic/safe ingredients getting slapped with a lawsuit over "false-advertising", seems highly unbalanced in comparison to the countless questionable drugs with questionable ingredients making questionable claims backed by questionable studies that are allowed to run amok.

How about some truth for a change about the Food Supplements Directive in the European Union? The proponents of this directive say that it's about protecting patients from all these dangerous vitamins, minerals, supplements, plant extracts and antioxidants that are so dangerous for people. They say, "We're going to keep you safe!" Let me tell you what I think. It's an attempt to outlaw nutrition. It is an attempt to criminalize those who would offer nutritional products that can actually prevent and even treat chronic diseases.

Why would anyone want to do this? Well, look at what it's trying to ban. One of the things it's trying to ban is tocotrienols, which are various forms of vitamin E. These are naturally occurring antioxidants that are found in the plant world. You can find them in whole grains, nuts, seeds and a variety of different plants. Why would they want to ban these ingredients and make it a crime to sell these to people?

Well, think about it folks. These ingredients prevent chronic disease better than prescription drugs, without the side effects, and without the profitability of prescription drugs. If people really knew just how much they could prevent chronic disease with these plant extracts, medicinal herbs, vitamins, minerals, and supplements, the pharmaceutical industry would collapse overnight.

http://www.naturalnews.com/008269.html

Controversial EU vitamins ban to go ahead
Posted Image

#4 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:06 PM

Midge, I always find your conspiratorial mind-set refreshing. :huh: Your mind is always searching for a story's place in the larger Narrative.

Indeed, your speculations above put the following comment of mine in new light:

My purpose for using Airborne was that I hate taking cold medicine as it slows me down cognitively. I don't like to "drug" myself up. With that in mind, Airborne was a nice compromise.

A compromise, perhaps, the certain people in certain places didn't like.
Posted Image

#5 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:27 PM

However, I'm also tired of reading stories in papers about topics of which I have personal knowledge, and noting how the reporting is indeed more of a story. Like I've said and thought countless other times, I wonder just how often when I read and hear news stories just how accurate and how much of the real picture I am getting?

The answer is very little. News stories are little more than random tidbits of information. To get the real story, you'll have to do a lot of research. In this case, if I actually cared about this, I would do two things to start:

First, I'd check out the lawsuit to really determine the actual claims of both parties. News articles often distort the real story by publishing so little of it.

Second, I'd see if you could find any studies of this Airborne stuff. I'd probably stop by a local university and creep around their online journals.

Most people don't do their homework and just believe something a news organization spews out. But the information resolution of a news article is insanely low. And the resolution of Internet articles is even worse.

I mean, whether the affects of Airborne were simply placebo or they actually energized and freshened people up, like myself, is all washed aside. What I'm tired of is the "experts" up on high telling all the "non-experts" what does and doesn't work. These so-called experts are usually scientists conducting experiments in labs and writing papers reviewed by other scientists.

I'm not really sure what to make of this quote. :p Could you explain?

Anyway, I'd say that Airborne is most likely a placebo. Probably like most of the herbal remedy market. But hey... if the placebo works for you, go for it! :huh:

#6 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 03:01 PM

I'm not really sure what to make of this quote. :huh: Could you explain?

This old thread explains what I mean fairly well. It seems that monthly, if not weekly, we layman are confronted with "new" scientific research that either contradicts or corrects "old" scientific research. While I value science and scientists, I say that ultimately, at the end of the day, people need to trust their own experiences -- somewhat of a lost art these days.
Posted Image

#7 el midgetron

el midgetron

Squirrel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 11:04 AM

This isn't about Airborne but it is a pretty interesting example of how public health interests are buried by the media. Its also illustrates the juxtaposistion of the "false-advertising" claim against Airborne in not only the media but also in the cross-hairs of "public interest" groups like the CSPI or more notably the FDA.

Posted Image

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com