Theme© by Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Any LRG Members into European-style Board Games?

Board Game Geek Euro

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 JonnyPac

JonnyPac

The beast collector in the boonies...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1110 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:46 PM

Greetings y'all,

So besides being super into Battle Beasts, I also play tons of designer European (and Euro-style) board games. I have a collection of over 250 games (as listed here: http://boardgamegeek...n/user/JonnyPac )

601580_636014699756531_1446597091_n.jpg

And to boot, I am a board game designer. My first game was published by Wyrd Miniatures in 2013 (a Gen Con Indy release). Kings of Artifice is the game's title. Unfortunately, there were several manufacturing issues and problems within the company's design team that led to a poor product. The Pirate Lion expansion figure (my avatar) never made it io print... Since then I designed and help design a few other games, none of which are in print (yet).

My current design is looking very promising. It's called "Hangtown"; here's the blurb:

"Hangtown is a game based on the Gold Rush era town of Hangtown and its surrounding areas in the foothills of the Sierra Mountains of California. As old west pioneers, the players build historic buildings, districts, and monuments, such as the Bell Tower, the Pearson Soda Works building, and Sutter's Mill. They also mine for gold at Gold Bug Mine, receive parcels from Snowshoe Thompson, and lynch the unruly at the infamous Hangman's Tree! ...Not to mention the occasional shootout!

The game's mechanics are a unique blend of many current European strategy game concepts such as worker placement, tableau/deck building, resource and hand management, blind bidding, role selection, and so on. One of the game's standout features is the "Boom or Bust" outcome of the blind bidding. If a player is the only one to bid on an action, he/she gets the "Boom" yield, the most favorable outcome; whereas when many or all of the players choose an action they end up with the "Bust" yield, the least favorable outcome. By outwitting their rival Pioneers and successfully fending off the outlaws in old Hangtown, the players can gain much gold, property, and prestige!

The game has two modes: family and standard. In the family version there are simpler rules, a special worker placement board, and a touch of extra luck. That version is intended for a younger audience or the more casual gamer. The standard version is on par with the average "heavy Euro game", with more sophisticated rules, a wide variety of engine-building strategies, and less luck. The game also comes with an expansion that allows the players to take on a unique role with special abilities in each round, such as the Deputy, Robber, Cheater, Gun Fighter, Builder, Prospector, and Beggar."

http://boardgamegeek...161813/hangtown

It is looking like a fall 2014 (very soon!) Kickstarter. So stay tuned! I'll post some cool pics of the art that is being created, etc.

So anyhoo, let me know if any of you are into this stuff. I dig it.

Best,

JonnyPac

PS I'm not really an Ameritrash game player- I burn out pretty quickly on zombies, fluff, dice and more dice, "take that" mechanics, and so on. But I understand that other people have fun with those too.

#2 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:46 PM

You dare call Zombicide Ameritrash? Banned for life!!!!

:lol:

Definitely keep us posted on the Kickstarter. I'll pledge for sure.

When my office is finished, I'll invite you down for a game of Zombicide! ;)

#3 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:17 PM

so what is a European style board game~?

#4 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts
  • Interests:Collecting MIMP and playing Fantasy Baseball.

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:46 PM

I was wondering the same thing.

My MIMP Resource site: http://mimpcollective.weebly.com

Behemoth's Video Game and MIMP YouTube Page: https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

#5 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:18 AM

Very similar to American style board games, but with an unexplainable air of superiority? ;)

#6 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:04 AM

I am just guessing here, but I think it is heavy on game play, light on aesthetics. Whereas US style games are heavy on aesthetics and light on game mechanics.

Kind of like Risk versus Monopoly, Settlers of Catan versus Mouse Trap.

#7 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:18 AM

Maybe it is the same game, but everyone has to play dressed like this: 

info-6.jpg

Behemoth's Video Game and MIMP YouTube Page: https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

#8 JonnyPac

JonnyPac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1110 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:50 AM

Ha!

Well, Euro Games are usually from Europe then licensed for a US release by companies such as Rio Grande, Z-Man, Mayfair, etc. Settlers of Cantan is by far the most famous game of the bunch (though arguably not the best). I'd say there are several tiers of games on the market that we can all easily identify. These are probably the main ones (not counting Magic and CCGs, and role playing).

Classics ranging from timeless to modern: Chess, Checkers, Go, Monopoly, Risk, to Cranium, etc. There are available at store like Target all the time.

Euro Games like Catan, 7 Woners, Small World, Carcassonne, Dominion, Kingdom Builder, Puerto Rico, Caylus, Terra Mystica, and so on.

Then the newer realm of “Ameritrash” (though that name is kinda derogatory): Zombie dice, King of Tokyo, Munchkin, Killer Bunnies, and some massive FFG games, etc. 

Like mentioned above American games are often big on themes, light of brains (due to the zombies, I figure). That said, they have quite a growing fan base. The Euro fad is on the outs, so it seems. No one wants to be a lonely sheep herder when they can partake in a Lovecraft Cthulhu nightmare and play with miniatures instead of “meeples”.

But anyway, I just tend to like the ones that challenge my mind (in a good way) rather than rolling dice to see if my chainsaw fired up in the toxic mall.

But that said, I’d still be totally into trying new American games. There are many that walk the line just right between theme and mechanics (Lords of Waterdeep is basically Caylus for D&D fans). I hope that Hangtown will fit right in there- capturing the spirit of the old west and gold rush with some clever mechanics to boot!  

Edited by JonnyPac, 09 August 2014 - 11:58 AM.

#9 JonnyPac

JonnyPac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1110 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:54 AM

:) I'm totally there. I just tried the intro scenario when it first came out. I wanna play as Doug from Falling Down! 

You dare call Zombicide Ameritrash? Banned for life!!!!

:lol:

Definitely keep us posted on the Kickstarter. I'll pledge for sure.

When my office is finished, I'll invite you down for a game of Zombicide! ;)

#10 JonnyPac

JonnyPac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1110 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:03 PM

I mean really... Pick one by it's cover...

pic1872452_md.jpg

OR...

pic259085_md.jpg

#11 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:41 PM

Ha!

Well, Euro Games are usually from Europe then licensed for a US release by companies such as Rio Grande, Z-Man, Mayfair, etc. Settlers of Cantan is by far the most famous game of the bunch (though arguably not the best). I'd say there are several tiers of games on the market that we can all easily identify. These are probably the main ones (not counting Magic and CCGs, and role playing).

Classics ranging from timeless to modern: Chess, Checkers, Go, Monopoly, Risk, to Cranium, etc. There are available at store like Target all the time.

Euro Games like Catan, 7 Woners, Small World, Carcassonne, Dominion, Kingdom Builder, Puerto Rico, Caylus, Terra Mystica, and so on.

Then the newer realm of “Ameritrash” (though that name is kinda derogatory): Zombie dice, King of Tokyo, Munchkin, Killer Bunnies, and some massive FFG games, etc. 

Like mentioned above American games are often big on themes, light of brains (due to the zombies, I figure). That said, they have quite a growing fan base. The Euro fad is on the outs, so it seems. No one wants to be a lonely sheep herder when they can partake in a Lovecraft Cthulhu nightmare and play with miniatures instead of “meeples”.

But anyway, I just tend to like the ones that challenge my mind (in a good way) rather than rolling dice to see if my chainsaw fired up in the toxic mall.

But that said, I’d still be totally into trying new American games. There are many that walk the line just right between theme and mechanics (Lords of Waterdeep is basically Caylus for D&D fans). I hope that Hangtown will fit right in there- capturing the spirit of the old west and gold rush with some clever mechanics to boot!  

Arkham Horror is what I prefer to play. It has a lot of strategy required for a game about monsters and mayhem. Sure there is a lot of luck, but that is true in most games. The only problem is it takes like 30 minutes to set it up. 

I have played Puerto Rico and found it to be boring, kind of like a board game version of Sim City. Except with colonial conquest. I couldn't really get into it. 

Haven't played the other Euro-games or the zombie games, so can't really speak for them. 

#12 JonnyPac

JonnyPac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1110 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:21 PM

The luck factor is big thing in gaming. The heavy Euro games, besides Catan of all things, tend to have little or no luck. But they are not on the level of Chess in the way, which is pure brain against brain.

The American games are often loaded with luck via dice, drawing cards, over-powered special abilities, and so on. They also offer more co-op gaming options. And as you mentioned, they can take 30 min to set up and a day to play. Most Euros run 1-2 hours.

#13 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• 1853 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:58 AM

Its good to see your back on the Game development track again after the less succesfull release of your first game, its to bad the Lion never made it into the game since it was obviously a little JPac signature in it ;) I hope your new game Hangtown will be the success you deserve!

When it comes to EU boardgames I´m not sure how much different they´d be than the US ones other than the language :) Personally I´ve grown up with board games like Monopoly, Risk, Stratego and many others of which I can´t even remember the name anymore but there´s one that´s pretty much a classic in the Dutch Board Game history and its called ´Ganzenboard.´ Or Game of the Goose in English believe its a game that originated from Spain. Another old one is ´Mens-erger-je-niet´ which is originally from Germany I think and it translates in English as something like ´Don´t get annoyed.´ All of them are pretty much focussed on the game of it and the aesthetics around it are not very impressive although this is pretty much changing looking at the kind of board games from the last decade, maybe there´s some US influence there!?

I´m not to much of a board game fanatic so there´s not much more I can tell about the EU ones but I know that Catan was pretty much of a hype some years ago.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#14 Nik

Nik

Monster Antiquarian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:04 AM

I play a good mix of board games both Euro and American. I don't think one is better than the other, depends on what you are in the mood to play and how many players you have. The Euro games are more obscure because they can only be found in specialized stores like "game shops". Most people aren't willing to shell out $40+  to buy online a game they have never seen especially when you look at that box art comparison!   

Kickstarter is awesome for the gaming community because each campaign lets you see all aspects of a game before purchasing. Most even offer print and play which is super cool.

I plan to put my game on kickstarter as well,  I've been working on it for 3 years in my spare time. At this rate keep a lookout for my campaign Fall 2036 :)

#15 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:51 AM

"Portobello Market" is my favorite one in that picture. Not that I've played it but assuming the name is literal, I love the idea that someone made a game about the gourmet mushroom trade.

And for the record I knew the types of games you were describing. ;) There is a great euro games store in Jackson Hole, WY. Got my Settlers of Catan there some years ago.

#16 JonnyPac

JonnyPac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1110 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:59 AM

Thanks for the interest and support! I'm putting in a good 30+ hours a week into Hangtown making sure it's solid all around. 

I play a good mix of board games both Euro and American. I don't think one is better than the other, depends on what you are in the mood to play and how many players you have. The Euro games are more obscure because they can only be found in specialized stores like "game shops". Most people aren't willing to shell out $40+  to buy online a game they have never seen especially when you look at that box art comparison!   

Kickstarter is awesome for the gaming community because each campaign lets you see all aspects of a game before purchasing. Most even offer print and play which is super cool.

I plan to put my game on kickstarter as well,  I've been working on it for 3 years in my spare time. At this rate keep a lookout for my campaign Fall 2036 :)

Very cool! What's your game about? Not trying to let the cat out of the bag... ;)

It's true these designer games, American and Euro, tend to cost $40-$80 per box; then they tag on expansions for $20-$40! It's not cheap at all. My Kickstarter game will be right in that margin due to the high cost of a 500 copy run.

HA!

Portobello Market is not about shroomies! It's actually a territory control London market game that was a re-skin of a train game like Ticket to Ride. It's okay, not the best of the bunch.

Edited by JonnyPac, 10 August 2014 - 10:04 AM.

#17 Nik

Nik

Monster Antiquarian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:59 PM

My game fits into your Ameritrash category as it is basically a dungeon crawl style game, but it relies more on strategy than simple dice rolling. Monsters have no hit points, the dungeon is constantly changing etc.  I love D&D, but every tabletop D&D game is boring! The best dungeon crawl game is Descent, but that is an ordeal to setup and play and I really hate the idea of needing an Overlord player. My game can be played by one player alone or up to six players cooperatively. 

Can't escape the high cost of printing, all these sites and blogs stress that you need to reduce the number of pieces to your game. It's hard when you have an awesome vision, I would love to fill mine up with all kinds of mono minis, but practically I will most likely go the die cut card stock character and standing base route.

I look forward to your kickstarter, I always check out any games/ miniatures campaign on the site.  

#18 JonnyPac

JonnyPac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1110 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:03 PM

My game fits into your Ameritrash category as it is basically a dungeon crawl style game, but it relies more on strategy than simple dice rolling. Monsters have no hit points, the dungeon is constantly changing etc.  I love D&D, but every tabletop D&D game is boring! The best dungeon crawl game is Descent, but that is an ordeal to setup and play and I really hate the idea of needing an Overlord player. My game can be played by one player alone or up to six players cooperatively. 

Can't escape the high cost of printing, all these sites and blogs stress that you need to reduce the number of pieces to your game. It's hard when you have an awesome vision, I would love to fill mine up with all kinds of mono minis, but practically I will most likely go the die cut card stock character and standing base route.

I look forward to your kickstarter, I always check out any games/ miniatures campaign on the site.  

That sounds pretty rad. I hear you on printing costs! Even my game with just wooden bits, boards, and poker-sized cards is steep. I can only imagine minis and all. Keep the dream going though! Games with minis on KS tend to make $$$!

#19 Rubberhammer

Rubberhammer

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2463 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:56 PM

Hnefatafl

It's fun.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com