• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 04:27 PM

After a few years of searching, I am finally reunited with my old friend, Ultimate Godzilla! (Those who have not read my tragic tale, go to the Dumbest Toy Related Decision thread.) The main difficulty in tracking down this toy was that it was available in such limited numbers: only 5000 worldwide were produced. But, as always, Ebay has EVERYTHING, so I kept vigilant and was finally rewarded!

As I have said before, this truly is the ultimate Godzilla toy ever (sorry, Shogun Godzilla)! Check out these stats:

Height: 19 inches
Length: 24 inches
Weight: Over 10 pounds
No. of MUSCLEs that fit in his stomach: 30

Sweet! Now, on with the review...

Looks - 5 out of 5: Despite the fact that movie as a whole was woeful, I still think the movie's Godzilla design was pretty cool for a monster design. Ultimate Godzilla brings out the coolness of this design with an awesome sculpt! With great skin details including wrinkles, scales, bumps, and spikes, this toy effectively captures the look of the movie monster! And the paint job accentuates the sculpt. A brown wash brings out the skin details, while a metallic blue does the same for the back spikes and under belly.

Articulation - 3 out of 5: Not much is happening with Godzilla's articulation. It only has 5 swivel joints: shoulders, hips, and tail. A grasping hand would have been cool. And an opening maw would have made this toy even more awesome than it already is.

Accessories - N/A: Godzilla doesn't come with anything... but then again, accessories are not really applicable with this figure. Ultimate Godzilla with... rocket launcher and dino-buddy? -_- Nah...

Value - 5 out of 5: Originally, Ultimate Godzilla cost $80 in the store. That's a bit pricey for a toy (and probably one of the reasons it was not mass-produced), but it was worth it because the figure was not only huge, but made of solid, heavy plastic.

But I managed to get this one off of Ebay for about $25 plus $16 shipping! What a steal!

Coolness - 5 out of 5: This Godzilla is as ultimate as ultimate can get. It's huge size makes it tower over action figures, just as Godzilla should. It's sound effects are also a nice touch. And, most importantly, it has figure eating action! Star Wars size figures can fit down Godzilla's throat, where they can be retrieved out a compartment through its back.

Sure, it doesn't have Shogun Godzilla's shooting fist... but that never made sense anyway.

Overall - 4.5 out of 5: This toy has always been one of my favorites, and I'm glad it's back in my collection!

A few issues, though...

1) It's very difficult to assemble. Basically, you snap the arms, legs and tail into the torso, but it's hard as hell to get the pieces to snap in place. I had to lean on Godzilla with all my weight to get the legs to snap into the hip. Also, one arm wouldn't stick in the shoulder, so I had to shave down the shoulder with an exacto knife so that it would fit properly.

2) Keep in mind that once you get it assembled, that's it. You won't be able to disassemble it again, so you'd better make damned well sure you don't absent-mindedly put an appendage in the wrong socket.

EDIT (9/25/03): You know, many times a toy seems really cool at first but loses that coolness quickly, leaving me to ask myself, "Why the hell did I buy this?" I've decided to add another factor to my older reviews to reflect this...

Staying Power - 5 out of 5: Ultimate Godzilla is still as awesome today as he is the day I got him! Some toys are eternal, I guess!

Adjusted Overall - 4.6 out of 5

Anyway, on with the pics! You can see Godzilla in all his glory in the first pic! Bespin Escape Chewie looks up in surprise!

Attached Files

Edited by Tortle, 25 September 2003 - 12:30 PM.

#2 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 04:30 PM

And in this picture, Godzilla shows the Imperials what-fer! General Veers gets a tour of Godzilla's innards!

Attached Files

#3 Sniper33

Sniper33

Local Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2912 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 04:49 PM

That toy looks really cool, not cause its godzilla, but because it looks so damn cool. I dont ever recall seeing that in stores, wanna sell it for $5.00? -_-

Posted Image

#4 Rokk

Rokk

Alton Brown's Evil Twin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 04:57 AM

Sweet! Nice review, Nathan. I have always preferred the authentic Godzilla over the American movie version, but this figure kick arse! Nice sculpt and good paint job. Definately a cool addition to a toy collection. I like the figure eating feature. Almost as good as the Shogun Godzilla shooting fist. ^_^

#5 arforbes

arforbes

I lied, I cheated, I got banned!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6788 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 03:07 PM

Haha! I think the pic with Chewy is hilarious. ^_^ That Godzilla figure is HUGE! Well...obviously! Very cool Nathan.

:o
AKA Yapiel, AKA balucard
I was banned! Read ALL about it! http://www.littlerub...showtopic=23333

#1 on the LRG Dishonest Members list!

#6 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 08:05 AM

I love taking pictures of this guy... here's a pic of my Godzilla attacks display! You can see that the other toys unite in defense, but to no avail!

Attached Files

#7 Adamantiumwulf

Adamantiumwulf

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1900 posts
  • Interests:Sega Master System and Segas other Consoles and games., Legos
    Transformers
    Baseball cards
    various action figures

Posted 28 July 2003 - 08:25 AM

That is an awsome figure.

Will he be makeing a cameo in a fox & tortle show? <_<
"I've always believed that a lot of the trouble in the world would disappear if we were talking to each other instead of about each other." Ronald Regan - April 11, 1984

#8 Wraith

Wraith

alive and kickin'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 09:05 AM

i got a godzilla cupholder with the cup still if you are interested nate

Attached Files

......Posted Image....................................................
Petition to Get Generation 1 to USA
What I'm selling on Ebay

#9 Wraith

Wraith

alive and kickin'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 06:36 PM

bump0r
......Posted Image....................................................
Petition to Get Generation 1 to USA
What I'm selling on Ebay

#10 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 08:50 PM

i got a godzilla cupholder with the cup still if you are interested nate

Thanks for the offer, but I'll pass. I'm not a big enough Godzilla nut to want to collect other stuff. But that cup does bring back many good memories of that summer... the miriad of Godzilla toys all over the shelves... the Godzilla Taco Bell offers... the numerous cool Godzilla commercials, like the one with the Taco Bell dog... cool stuff!

I was actually watching the Godzilla movie the other day, and that scene where he first comes out of the water and walks across traffic is great! I fantasize about that stuff every time I'm stuck in traffic...

-Nathan

#11 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 02:22 AM

I'm supprised he hasn't attacked any kind of MUSCLE yet... Mabe the Original Sugaru with the armor might like a tour of duity in the gullet? :blink:
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

And you are here, with them, as so many specks of sand.

#12 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 06:24 PM

I'm supprised he hasn't attacked any kind of MUSCLE yet...

Funny you should mention that... I've noticed that my MUSCLE supply has been mysteriously dwindling, so I set up a motion-sensitive camera. Bingo! Godzilla has been munching on my poor little delectable MUSCLEs!

-Nathan

Attached Files

#13 Sniper33

Sniper33

Local Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2912 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 06:46 PM

I love that last pic, Godzilla has his choice of muscles. Looks kinda like he is at a buffet! :wacko:

Posted Image

#14 Rokk

Rokk

Alton Brown's Evil Twin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 08:35 PM

Godzilla has been munching on my poor little delectable MUSCLEs!

:wacko: That is an excellent pic!

#15 WarsmanandRamenmanrule

WarsmanandRamenmanrule

I can't think of anything good

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 07:26 AM

^_^ Good review. This thread is getting funnier and funnier. :(

#16 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 21 August 2003 - 10:45 PM

What WON'T Ultimate Godzilla eat next?

I, too, am no fan of GINO (for everyone besides Nate, I guess, Godzilla In Name Only). But getting the toys on discount is cool. :unsure: I got the smaller Combat Claw, and he's quite nice and fun, as he manages to tower over all toys but my childhood Diplodocus from the Carnegie Collection.

Let's see Ultimate Godzilla duke it out with other G-figs!!!

-Boaconda

#17 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 03:17 PM

Let's see Ultimate Godzilla duke it out with other G-figs!!!

Okay, you asked for it! In this first picture, you see Ultimate vs. Godzilla 1985! It's not much of a match, really...

Attached Files

#18 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 03:19 PM

Here, Ultimate Godzilla opens up a can on Shogun Godzilla! Careful, Ultimate! Shogun Warriors are expensive!

Attached Files

#19 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 03:21 PM

But don't let these action shots fool you. In reality, Ultimate Godzilla spends most of his time on his fat arse in his boxers watching TV.

Attached Files

#20 Rokk

Rokk

Alton Brown's Evil Twin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 05 September 2003 - 12:21 PM

:stupid: Great pics! The last one was definately my favorite!

#21 ChipmunkBot

ChipmunkBot

pilots SD Gundams

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 01:14 AM

Gah, I wanted that toy for such a long time once, I was gonna buy it at a Pick & Save but my mom & I had no way to get it home since we always walked there & back. :lol: Every time I went there I would still try to get it. After awhile I didn't see it again. I think he was only like 20 bucks too. I hope I can also find this huge version of the American King of Monsters again someday.
Proud to have been an extra in the Spiderman movie!

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com