• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 optimusdrizzt

optimusdrizzt

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Playing addicting video games, anime, MUSCLE, megaman, snarf from Thundercats, guts,and Battle Beasts. Really any smaller figure from the 80s/90s.

Posted 30 April 2015 - 05:16 PM

I was wondering if someone had a list of varients of the Battle beasts available or is the LRG price guide accurate to the number of variants?

Also which ones are reasonable and affordable to go after. Just curious as I am rounding out my collection and am turning my eye towards them.

Always Looking for Battle Beasts PM if you got extras!!!!

#2 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1852 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 01 May 2015 - 02:01 AM

As soon as it comes to ¨Variants¨ we´re still not having a solid guide or valid guidelines to judge what, which and why they´re different enough to call them as such.

There´s a couple of generally accepted variants like the Black Mole, Blue Tiger, etc and than there´s a couple that might better be placed under the header of factory error like the unpainted teeth and the pink skinned ones. Than there´s a whole discussion about the slight shade differences like for instance the purple, pink, magneta Killer Carp armor..... are these all variants indeed!? So its a topic that´ll be impossible to solve since each and every collectors makes up his own reason for whether or not to judge or qualify a figure as a variant. I´d say try to stick as close to the commonly accepted ones which are all clearly distinct enough from the original ones with other armor colors for instance and try to define your own position when it comes to all the others but be aware that the moment you start to accept slight color differences as variants you´ll probably find them within each and every figure out there so the numbers of these so called ¨variants¨ will be endless.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#3 optimusdrizzt

optimusdrizzt

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Playing addicting video games, anime, MUSCLE, megaman, snarf from Thundercats, guts,and Battle Beasts. Really any smaller figure from the 80s/90s.

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:26 AM

Thanks, good to know that I am not the only one not clear on variants.

Yeah I may just stick to the clear variants like Gorilla (orange and black faced), Black mole, and blue tiger. I think for me the obvious armor color and factory errors will dictate the ones I'll go for. The shades of skin and armor that are 1/2 a shade different might be a little extreme for me as I don't have a good color sense anyhow.

#4 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:51 AM

Just to correct GJNL for the record, it's a blue Jaguar, and not tiger.

The unpainted teeth for both the walrus and mouse are uncommon figures, you should be able to find them relatively easily if you look hard enough. (Though I am still looking for a mouse myself).

I've heard conflicting reports on the unpainted sideburns for the porcupine. And the general consensus for the short rabbit seems to be that it does exist.

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#5 optimusdrizzt

optimusdrizzt

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 07:25 AM

I have seen the short rabbit and a guy by the user name Battlebeasts has a photo showing the height difference of short rabbit.

Some of those variants would just be hard to find because pictures are so misleading, like the color differences of spider and bison (I have had both of each of those guys and I just picked the one that was more appealing to me, but I doubt many would notice a big difference especially if displayed with my whole collection). The photo of buying an individual one is too hard to distinguish the exact color so I figure if that is the case it probably isn't worth my time.

#6 mca19

mca19

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:Mainly Battle Beasts/Laser Beasts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 07:52 AM

What was decided on the black faced gorilla? The porcupine is questionable to me as I haven't seen them personally but the black faced gorilla I have only seen in photos. Any thoughts before he goes hunting for something that doesn't exist?

#7 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:36 AM

What was decided on the black faced gorilla? The porcupine is questionable to me as I haven't seen them personally but the black faced gorilla I have only seen in photos. Any thoughts before he goes hunting for something that doesn't exist?

I've asked the question a couple of times and I was told that it isn't an official variant. Can't speak to the veracity of that but it's all I have!

Has anyone seen the unpainted sideburns? It knocks a figure off of my small wants list if it isn't attainable.

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#8 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:42 AM

heh I typed a reply to this but never posted 

Bison/Spider = small differences in paint pigment exist in many different sculpts. I have a Col. Bird that came with the Japanese Phoenix base and he's a very different shade of green, but I still don't really consider this type of thing a variant. it's been debated endlessly so I guess it's just personal preference, but I see this as unintentional production variance, not an intentional change in production or paint applications. In my mind that's what defines what is and isn't a variant.

Black faced gorilla = factory error from missed grey facial paint app, shouldn't be in the guide as this is misleading imo. only one I've ever heard of is the one that's pictured in the guide. 

Sideburns Porcupine is 100% legit, I got one a month or so ago. Paint is a different color due to opacity, and it's missing the paint apps for the side of his helmet. i'll post a comparison shot later today if I have time, been meaning to since i picked him up.

Edited by bachamn, 01 May 2015 - 09:50 AM.

#9 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:07 AM

Sideburns Porcupine is 100% legit, I got one a month or so ago. Paint is a different color due to opacity, and it's missing the paint apps for the side of his helmet. i'll post a comparison shot later today if I have time, been meaning to since i picked him up.

How long did it take you to hunt him down? I'm really looking to complete my series 1 - 3 figures by the end of this year. I want to know if that's a reasonable time frame.

<p> </p>
<p>

#10 optimusdrizzt

optimusdrizzt

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:17 AM

So what I understand from the post is that the only black faced gorilla I can get is where the paint on the face was intentionally remove. Nice that knocks one down :)

#11 JonnyPac

JonnyPac

The beast collector in the boonies...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1110 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:34 PM

I have most BB variants; even the subtle ones. Info above seems right on. The inverted gorilla and tortoise are some of the coolest ones IMO. Besides the blue jag, of course. 

#12 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 01 May 2015 - 01:01 PM

How long did it take you to hunt him down?

I had one on my want list for about 2 years, and for the last 3 months of that I had a "battle beasts porcupine" eBay email alert and ended up finding one for $10 as the only bidder.

So what I understand from the post is that the only black faced gorilla I can get is where the paint on the face was intentionally remove. Nice that knocks one down :)

afro-gorilla on my desk at work is already halfway there just from natural wear.  ;)

#13 mca19

mca19

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:Mainly Battle Beasts/Laser Beasts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 04:29 PM

Yeah I agree on the factory error gorilla. I just wanted to clarify when I saw it on your list. You will pull your hair out on that one so save yourself the stress.

Thanks for the sideburns comments. I didn't know it was attainable.

#14 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1852 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:46 AM

I can only support the info above but its also showing how complicated it actually is to get a ¨Variant¨ confirmed and accepted in general because like the Black faced Gorilla which also took a while to find out that all the pics of him known all came from the one and only figure out there an thus making it a Factory error instead of a Variant like the Black Mole, Blue Jaguar (not the Tiger indeed, Thnx Draz!). But with figures like the unpainted teeth ones around it would´ve made sense to see that Black face gorilla as one that could´ve been around more but he should be placed on the same level as the Half painted face of the Reefer and some other unique factory errors which normally wouldn´ve have made it outside the factory walls. 

Than there´s a group of harder or less obvious ¨Variants¨ like the Short Rabbit, which I still have my doubts about since I´ve taken side by side shots of this myself but it really depends upon the figures you place back to back to get a clear outcome in height and even that height difference is only a couple of mm.

On the other hand the unpainted side burns variant of the Porcupine is not that uncommon and there´s been a period quite a few have been around. At this moment though it looks as if he´s less common or harder to find but that´s just a period and I´m sure you should be able to get one if you keep your eyes and ears open in a fair amount of time. 

I´ve proposed to make a kind of checklist with different orders in it in order to create some kind of generally accepted list that shows which variants are the most common and accepted in relation to the distinct ones caused by missing paint apps or others things that might´ve been more related to the factory who produced them rather than the actuall intention to have them made in such a way since imho the true variants are clearly distinct enough and where made that way on purpose. But the reason this hasn´t been done yet is because of all the different perspectives on this subject and the ongoing discussions between some of us caused by the different views.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#15 Edmasta

Edmasta

#Battlebeastsbattleground

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • Interests:80年代 ホラー
    GPK, Star Wars
    Neclos Fortress,
    Tattoos
    バトラーの聖剣

Posted 02 May 2015 - 03:43 AM

heh I typed a reply to this but never posted 

Bison/Spider = small differences in paint pigment exist in many different sculpts. I have a Col. Bird that came with the Japanese Phoenix base and he's a very different shade of green, but I still don't really consider this type of thing a variant. it's been debated endlessly so I guess it's just personal preference, but I see this as unintentional production variance, not an intentional change in production or paint applications. In my mind that's what defines what is and isn't a variant.

Black faced gorilla = factory error from missed grey facial paint app, shouldn't be in the guide as this is misleading imo. only one I've ever heard of is the one that's pictured in the guide. 

I agree on the Porcupine I just got one he's a fully Diffrent kettle of fish if you will.
And I also have 3 Diffrent birds that are all slightly Diffrent colours with one pretty much having turquoise armour and again have the so called spider variant but I'm not sure if I except that one as legit it's sooooo slight.

bbb3.jpg

#16 H23454

H23454

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:34 PM

I have the variants. Black mole, orange gorilla, unpainted teeth walrus and mouse, short rabbit (hare) and round tail rabbit (hare), pink war weasel, and others that CERTAIN people don't want to believe in. It's all in what someone wants to collect and what's out there... Variant

#17 CCVegita

CCVegita

Prince of all Saiyans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 02:17 PM

Black faced gorilla is a paint error just like the dragon with unpainted legs or my dragon sea horn with unpainted legs.
There are TONS of variants out there depending on your definition. There are:
-intentional color difference (mole, jaguar, etc)
-plastic differences (pink crab, pink weasel, pterodactyl, etc)
-paint errors or different highlight painting, probably factory related (walrus, rat, porcupine.... there are a bunch)
-mold differences (short rabbit, round tail rabbit, full back tortoise vs stamped back, low end LB weapons, etc)
-paint shading (camel, bird, frog, bison, spider....too many to name)

Collect enough BBs and you will go mad with finding differences. :)
Posted Image
---------------------------------------------------- アンドル ------------------------------------------------------------
______What I have for sale_______Beasts I still need_______Cards I still need_______My Collection______

#18 CCVegita

CCVegita

Prince of all Saiyans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 02:33 PM

Just a follow up. The tortoise has 3 variants (see picture). Full back, printed back, and soft plastic bright orange.

Attached Files

Edited by CCVegita, 08 May 2015 - 02:42 PM.

Posted Image
---------------------------------------------------- アンドル ------------------------------------------------------------
______What I have for sale_______Beasts I still need_______Cards I still need_______My Collection______

#19 H23454

H23454

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 02:51 PM

Ever seen the dark blue danger dog?

#20 CCVegita

CCVegita

Prince of all Saiyans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 03:19 PM

I think that is a Spanish figure. They are a whole different "beast" (forgive the pun).

Edited by CCVegita, 08 May 2015 - 03:20 PM.

Posted Image

#21 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1852 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 08 May 2015 - 04:09 PM

I think that is a Spanish figure. They are a whole different "beast" (forgive the pun).

The Spanish, Bestias de Combate, one is indeed darker but it also has Green colored knee paths instead of the Yellowish one from the normal ones and I think H23454 is only talking about the skin color here. ALL of the Bestias de Combate are different figures from the normal ones because even those who are not distinct enough in color can be identified as BDC by looking at the marks left by the mold they used for them. It is all in the details... But its for sure that the BDC should never be misunderstood as variants because they are an own unique line of Battle Beasts that were only available in Spain.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

#22 CCVegita

CCVegita

Prince of all Saiyans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 04:21 PM

I actually just saw that post/picture. Been digging around since its been a while since I've been on here. I would have to see it to be sure, but I would think the blue color is sun damage.
Posted Image

#23 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 08 May 2015 - 05:39 PM

I actually just saw that post/picture. Been digging around since its been a while since I've been on here. I would have to see it to be sure, but I would think the blue color is sun damage.

good to see you around again man :thumbsup:

#24 H23454

H23454

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:58 PM

#25 H23454

H23454

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:01 PM

So far it is being sold to me as "danger dog darker armor blue" not as a spainish or sun faded figure. It has, from what I have seen in photos all the normal markings from the Takara/hasbro company. I can't wait to get it next week. I have seen one other in this color. If it's a blue like it looks and claims to be? Well then I know there are 2 now.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com