47 replies to this topic

#1 matthewf1tz

matthewf1tz

Miracle Victory Power

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1096 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 02:16 PM

I was hoping to collect a set of the exact figures from the Colored MUSCLE Poster so I checked out the MPS which for the first time made me realise how biased it was towards Flesh, Red, Purple and Dark Blue:

DARK BLUE
8, 9, 13, 21, 24, 38, 48, 49, 51, 53, 80, 87, 115, 146, 147, 159

PURPLE
1, 6, 12, 32, 52, 59, 63, 72, 76, 79, 81, 90, 119, 121,127, 132,
137,142, 144, 153,205, 226, 230, 232

GREEN
18, 198, 200, 202

RED
31, 37, 70, 78, 84, 91, 95, 120, 128, 129, 158, 160, 162, 184,
209, 212, 214, 218

ORANGE
92, and 203

MAGENTA
105, 170, 176, 188, 201

LIGHT BLUE
47, 86, 173, 192, 196

SALMON
97, 114, 171

Unfortunately after a little checking with Soupie's MCIA I found out that it wasn't possible ;)

Here's the results minus Flesh, Red, Purple and Dark Blue:

GREEN
Not released:
18 – Part 7 Tree 3
Released:
198 – Part 19 Tree 1
200 – Part 19 Tree 1
202 – Part 19 Tree 1

ORANGE
Not released:
203 – Part 19 Tree 1
Released:
92 – Part 7 Tree 3

MAGENTA
Not released:
170 – Part 17 Tree 2
176 – Part 17 Tree 2
Released:
105 – Part 19 Tree 1
188 – Part 19 Tree 1
201 – Part 19 Tree 1

LIGHT BLUE
Not released:
47 – Part 7 Tree 3
86 – Part 7 Tree 3
192 – Part 19 Tree 1
196 – Part 19 Tree 1
Released:
173 – Part 17 Tree 2

SALMON
Not released:
97 – Part 7 Tree 3
114 – Part 7 Tree 3
Released:
171 – Part 17 Tree 2

So I'm guessing there are so many Flesh, Red, Purple and Dark Blue because they were the first colors to be released so had plenty on hand and that they just made up three particular Trees in the soon to be released MUSCLE colors prior to production. I wonder why these three and only these three?

I'm not sure that the info helps out with any MUSCLE theories but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway...

Edited by matthewf1tz, 13 April 2009 - 11:52 PM.

Posted Image

#2 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:00 PM

Egad!! Never even considered the poster! As I've never owned one. :( Does anyone have, or is there a high res scan of the colored poster. If not can someone get one made? I'd like to see if the colors are off. They may have just used some primitive technique to just change the colors of the muscle pics. With like colored lenses or what have you.

This needs to be DONE!!! I Command it! ;)

Thanks for this Matt. :D

Posted Image

#3 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:46 PM

Don't forget the green #002 pictured on the board game box. Is this a case of the "marketing" guys not communicating with the "production" guys?
Posted Image

#4 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:48 PM

And I have a colored poster packaged up. I'll check to see whether they are photos of real figures or doctored images.
Posted Image

#5 matthewf1tz

matthewf1tz

Miracle Victory Power

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1096 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:20 PM

Don't forget the green #002 pictured on the board game box. Is this a case of the "marketing" guys not communicating with the "production" guys?

I had originally forgot about that guy - I think that lack of communication may have played a big part in it but there's still some strange decisions been made. For example, they've used all of Part 19 Tree 1 for the 'new' colors except figure 205 which was left in Purple - if Production had 205 available in Green, Orange, Magenta and Light Blue why didn't Marketing use one of those to bulk up the numbers?? :)

Posted Image

#6 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:00 AM

God damn! How have we not talked about this before?!?!

I will add this piece of information. Everyone I have spoken with at Mattel regarding posters, catalogues, etc. have stressed how it was before computers. They always say how much more time it took to set-up and get finished. This makes me doubt the images were doctored.

While I don't have any proof, I would say that actual figures were used to shoot for the pictures. Following Kenner's shooting model, they probably would have given the photographer (either internal or external) the figures well ahead of time and either taken back the figures or given the figures to the photographer.

#7 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:53 AM

;)

My poster is all flesh.
Posted Image

#8 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:33 AM

DARN YOU SOUPIE!!!!!!! And your Flesh poster. :D Any interested parties willing to contribute.....a colored poster to me and the cause. ;)

Posted Image

#9 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:07 PM

No one has a colored poster? :( Doesn't anybody care? :D Are we too geeky even for normal toy geeks? Does that make us Super Geeks? ;) :D

Just kidding. Hopefully someone with a colored poster sees this thread in the next few days. ^_^

We're not really the geeks of the geeks, right? :D
Posted Image

#10 meatcutta78

meatcutta78

Im a M.U.S.C.L.E head.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2479 posts
  • Interests:I'm all about mono mini sculpts! , I also like long walks on the beach and wearing G-Strings in the privacy of my home.

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:52 PM

No one has a colored poster? :( Doesn't anybody care? :cry: Are we too geeky even for normal toy geeks? Does that make us Super Geeks? :unsure: :cry:

Just kidding. Hopefully someone with a colored poster sees this thread in the next few days. ^_^

We're not really the geeks of the geeks, right? :huh:

no!

I was hoping to help,but mine is all flesh too. <_<
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#11 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:12 AM

We're not really the geeks of the geeks, right? <_<

If the thread is in MUSCLE Projects, we're the geeks of the geeks. :unsure:

#12 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:32 AM

So I'm guessing there are so many Flesh, Red, Purple and Dark Blue because they were the first colors to be released so had plenty on hand and that they just made up three particular Trees in the soon to be released MUSCLE colors prior to production. I wonder why these three and only these three?

I missed this when I first read your post, but I think you are 100% right. I think this observation actually supports the idea of three separate waves of production: Flesh, R/B/P, and All Colors.

But what is the make-up of figures on the Flesh/Color poster? (We need this info too!)

While we don't have tangible evidence, it is widely accepted that R/B/P packages hit the street before all of the colors did - plus they were packaged with, possibly the remaining, Flesh. Mattel likely would have had plenty of R/B/P production figures, or minimally plenty of samples.

When the full color poster needed to be created, they likely didn't have all the colors needed. So they simply requested X amount of Salmon, Light Blue, Green, and Magenta. One factory likely spit out the colors they needed from the trees they had 17-2 and 19-1.

It's also possible that some of the S/LB/G/M logistics weren't worked out because in the 1987 catalog those figures are basically obscured by the 10-pack wrap and 28-pack packaging. The only figures clearly photographed are the half-and-half 4-pack.

EDIT: You know what else, Mattel had set a precedence for shooting figures that didn't exist. Look at the figures in the 1986 Catalog. Sure you could argue that two of them could be SR MUSCLE's, but two of them are simply not MUSCLE's. They are part half of two figure sets.

Edited by General Veers, 14 April 2009 - 09:36 AM.

#13 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:49 AM

I am pretty sure that the poster I have is a 50/50. I'll check this weekend and take pics.

#14 matthewf1tz

matthewf1tz

Miracle Victory Power

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1096 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:19 PM

But what is the make-up of figures on the Flesh/Color poster? (We need this info too!)

This is the one I did, sorry I just referred to it as the 'Colored Poster' - is there a third one without any flesh ones on it?

If anyone thinks it may be useful to see what trees the Red, Blues & Purples came from I'll break those down - I know the Purple Claw is in there so maybe they are all rarer ones?

I am pretty sure that the poster I have is a 50/50. I'll check this weekend and take pics.

Thanks Jkaris :turned:

Posted Image

#15 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:22 PM

Wait, is there not three posters (Flesh, Flesh/Color, All Color)? :turned:

#16 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:23 PM

Yes 3 posters.

#17 matthewf1tz

matthewf1tz

Miracle Victory Power

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1096 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:29 PM

Yes 3 posters.

Wow, I've never seen tha one! Hopefully someone will have that too...

Posted Image

#18 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:07 PM

What? I was pretty sure there were only 2?

Posted Image

#19 SaltLakeToyJunkee

SaltLakeToyJunkee

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2205 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:37 AM

I thought there was only two also> :) Now I will be on the hunt for the all colored. I have the other two framed :D
I would be willing to give any information from the other two posters if anyone needs me to. Just ask.

#20 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:03 AM

I would be willing to give any information from the other two posters if anyone needs me to. Just ask.

Are the colored figures images on the colored poster pictures of real, colored figures or doctored images of flesh figures?

Edited by Soupie, 15 April 2009 - 08:04 AM.

Posted Image

#21 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:41 AM

:)
Posted Image

#22 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:29 AM

:)

Posted Image

#23 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:32 AM

Really? Nobody has one. :unsure:

I didn't ever buy any because it just didn't make sense from a space point of view. I knew I'd never hang them up. I thought I remembered people framing them and all kinds of stuff. Are we just too deep in the nerd section for most collectors to come in here?

#24 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:57 AM

Well Philly was just on the board again today. I was hoping he could answer our questions. I haven't slept for days. :unsure:
Posted Image

#25 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:40 AM

Well Philly was just on the board again today. I was hoping he could answer our questions. I haven't slept for days. ;)

Stay off the crack bro. :unsure:

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com