#1 retroworldkorea

retroworldkorea

Retro World Korea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Interests:vintage trash

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:04 PM

So I wanted to see if there was any interest in Korean rubber Ddakji. Ddakji are pretty much Korean POGS, There are two kinds; the paper kind that resemble what most of us know as POGS and the rubber kind. 

Both versions are still made to this day. For example, take a look at these Pokemon DDakji. 

Found a box of bootleg ones online here that I am thinking about ordering. I will surely have doubles so I wanted to see if there was any interest here for em. 

Attached Files

Edited by retroworldkorea, 23 April 2015 - 07:06 AM.

#2 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5097 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:29 PM

Wow, those are hella bootleg, to a degree I haven't seen for Pokémon in a long time. Weird.

How on earth does flat sculpted rubber work as a Pog-like game?

#3 retroworldkorea

retroworldkorea

Retro World Korea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:34 PM

Wow, those are hella bootleg, to a degree I haven't seen for Pokémon in a long time. Weird.

How on earth does flat sculpted rubber work as a Pog-like game?

Rather than explain, I will just show you a video. I always thought Korean Ddakji were a cool unique thing that collectors would dig if they knew about it. 

Edited by retroworldkorea, 21 April 2015 - 05:36 PM.

#4 spiderearth

spiderearth

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Interests:collecting minis and creating art

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:22 PM

Yeah, depending on price, I might be interested in a few.

#5 retroworldkorea

retroworldkorea

Retro World Korea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:47 PM

Yeah, depending on price, I might be interested in a few.

I just ordered that box along with a few other goodies. I will post in the sale section once I get them! Prices will be fair :-)

#6 spiderearth

spiderearth

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:58 PM

Noice!

#7 redjarojam

redjarojam

Taco Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:19 PM

Yeah I am down for a bootleg Pokemon pog like thing! I love pogs and pokemons!

#8 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
  • Interests:Creepers, chompies, iszs, zombies, trashies, tikis, minions, mordles, murlocs, mushroomies, skeletons, ghosts, gremlins, goblins, gargoyles, demons, devils, dryads, plant mutants, bug mutants, fish mutants, creatures with one eye, creatures with more than two eyes, other monsters, muties, and meanies. Stormtroopers, Jawas, Toy Story aliens, Hulk, Groot, Gilman, Gormiti, Cthulhu, Swamp Thing, Toxie, Treebeard, Muckman.
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Beetlejuice and Ghostbusters minis!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:34 PM

Welcome to LRG!  Can you give us kind of a general run-down of toys in Korea? 

I hear that Toys R Us there is called "Toy Box."  Is that a good place to go or are there better shops?

I am just curious as to what is popular there that we would all know about, as well as things popular that we would have no idea about, and of course more obscure things that you have found that you can share. 

Thanks!

Steve

#9 retroworldkorea

retroworldkorea

Retro World Korea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 08:52 PM

Welcome to LRG!  Can you give us kind of a general run-down of toys in Korea? 

I hear that Toys R Us there is called "Toy Box."  Is that a good place to go or are there better shops?

I am just curious as to what is popular there that we would all know about, as well as things popular that we would have no idea about, and of course more obscure things that you have found that you can share. 

Thanks!

Steve

Wondering if I should start an "ask me anything" thread about toys in Korea. I am far from an expert but could do my best to help. My area of expertise are Korean version retro games to be honest. Toys are a new venture for me here. I was collecting toys back in like 2010 when I was still in the states. I am so out of the loop now. That's part of the reason that i joined this site.

I went to a toy convention they held last week which inspired me to get back into this stuff. 

#10 retroworldkorea

retroworldkorea

Retro World Korea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 09:01 PM

Oh, I'm a doof and didn't answer you questions though. 

We do have Toys R Us here. The one near me is terrible though. They sell some imported Marvel and Star Wars stuff right now. They have a decent but expensive Lego section too. Power Rangers is still super popular here and those items get domestic packaging. Model kits are huge here as well. there is an entire section dedicated to them. They are mostly Gundam. Toys R Us is nothing special at all though. 

"art toys" are slowly becoming a thing here. I went to that toy convention I mentioned earlier this past weekend. It was the 2nd one they had in Seoul. I missed the one last year though. There were tons of people there, but it didn't look like many people were buying stuff from any of the artists or companies. Just a lot of people looking around. There were some AMAZING Korean artists, but many boring/derivative ones. Gonna start digging around more for shops that sell this stuff now that I know that there is some sort of scene here now. 

Since I am a retro game collector, I do bump into tons of retro toy shops. Now that's where things get interesting. There are a few museums here that specialize in old toys. They are VERY small and I think one of them recently shut down. It's fairly easy to track some old stuff down online if you posses the skills. Most Korean collectors of anything won't really export or don't really network outside of the country. That's one of the reasons I started my ebay shop for selling games at least. 

For old stuff, I would say robots/mechs are the most popular. The things that fetch the highest prices are anything from original Korean animes from the 70s-90s. Most of these animes are blatant rip offs of famous Japanese ones. For examples Robot Taekwon V in Korea vs. Mazinger in Japan. 

Anyways, I hope that answered some of your curiosities. Hit me up anytime. I love chatting about retro toys/game/anime/movies/whatever from Korea. 

#11 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 22 April 2015 - 05:46 AM

Green blastoise is best blastoise.

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#12 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
  • Interests:Creepers, chompies, iszs, zombies, trashies, tikis, minions, mordles, murlocs, mushroomies, skeletons, ghosts, gremlins, goblins, gargoyles, demons, devils, dryads, plant mutants, bug mutants, fish mutants, creatures with one eye, creatures with more than two eyes, other monsters, muties, and meanies. Stormtroopers, Jawas, Toy Story aliens, Hulk, Groot, Gilman, Gormiti, Cthulhu, Swamp Thing, Toxie, Treebeard, Muckman.
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 22 April 2015 - 03:12 PM

Are vending machine toys a big deal in Korea?  Are bootlegs of major brands a big deal?

#13 retroworldkorea

retroworldkorea

Retro World Korea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 03:30 PM

Bootlegs are a thing here still, but it was a much much more common practice back in the day. The bootlegs these days that I see are of Legos. Little mini lego character packs, mostly of marvel characters, but I've seen Simpsons and Nintendo ones too.

Vending machine toys are nowhere near as big as they are in Japan. Usually just near arcades, toy stores or any other places that kids frequent. Most of the toys are just Japanese imports too.

They do sell these keshi style pokemon blind boxes at some of the convenience stores still. They usually come with like 3 toys and some stickers. Those are packaged and made in Korea I believe and are licensed.

#14 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 22 April 2015 - 03:39 PM

BOOTLEGOS we call them.  You can get them on ebay for $1 each shipped from China.  They've made a lot of more characters now than Lego proper. 

That is a good observation about the blind-boxes.  Are blind-box and blind-bagged figures sold all over, like at pharmacies and such?   Is there anything around like the blind-pack offerings of Moose (Trash Pack, Mutant Mania, Shopkins) or Magic Box International (Crazy Bones, Bungees, Kobots, Zomlings), etc, etc, etc?

Has Funko made a presence at all with their Pop line or Mystery Minis blind-boxes? 

#15 retroworldkorea

retroworldkorea

Retro World Korea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 05:44 PM

Anything like those would be sold at a collectors speciality shop for higher prices. Like a kid robot blind box dunny costs about $18 here. Not sure about prices on the other stuff as I don't collect them, but I've seen them on Korean toy sites.

#16 retroworldkorea

retroworldkorea

Retro World Korea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 07:05 AM

OK. They came in today! Here are some preview shots. They are blind boxes so I didn't want to open any more and ruin the fun. The box came with 32 mini boxes. Each box contains two small ddakji. The box itself came with 4 "king sized" ddakji. 

I was thinking about selling each mini box for something like $4-$5 each + shipping from Korea. 

These things are punk rock as hell. What do you guys think? 

Attached Files

#17 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:09 AM

They are blind boxes so I didn't want to open any more and ruin the fun.

Blind boxes are almost never fun.  Blind boxes are almost always frustrating.

Let's see what's in them and how the factory packed the case. 

How many figures are in the total set? 

If it is a large set, see how close you got.  If it is a small set, see how many sets are in the case.

People will want to buy per complete set if possible.  If the set is more than 32, people will possibly buy just their favorite characters. 

I am not going to buy either way, so feel free to take a vote as to open or not.

People hate blind boxes.  They tolerate them to complete a set or for a *chance to get something rare.*  Tolerance is not love. 

Anyone around here who says they love blind boxes is a nanny nanny poo poo.

#18 spiderearth

spiderearth

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 02:11 PM

$4-$5 certainly is a fair price, and I'm really not worried of it being blind or not.  I'm mainly concerned with shipping costs and how much it will likely terrify me.

#19 retroworldkorea

retroworldkorea

Retro World Korea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 02:19 PM

haha I guess I am nuts and like blind boxes, but that's also because I am a weird collector. I usually don't concern myself with fullsets when it comes to toys. I just like having random stuff

As for shipping, it is surprisingly cheap. If the package is under 100 grams, then it will only cost $2. Add an extra $2.50 for tracking. 

I can pack two of these little packs in a small brown box and still keep it under 100 grams!

#20 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:26 PM

Have these been made for any other franchises?  I would dig some Marvel, DC, Ben 10, Star Wars, probably a few others.

#21 retroworldkorea

retroworldkorea

Retro World Korea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:33 PM

Not that I know of. I THINK there is a PC game using these bastardized characters. I think I know of a shop selling on so if I see it on my weekend hunt then I may have to pick it up. 

These are quite old too. Made sometime in the late 90s when the Pokemon boom first hit. 

Collecting vintage Korean stuff is such a painful hobby because of the lack of information. The good part is that there are tons of stubborn old shop owners who refused to liquidate or throw away their old products so awesome unused goods like these pop up quite often. 

But on the other hand, people here never took good care of their own old personal goods. So for game collecting, there are two conditions. Brand new or total shit haha. Learned that this is the case for toys as well as I dive deeper into it here. 

#22 retroworldkorea

retroworldkorea

Retro World Korea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:02 PM

Have these been made for any other franchises?  I would dig some Marvel, DC, Ben 10, Star Wars, probably a few others.

I did some digging around and found some Marvel ddakji! They are based off of the lego designs though:

Attached Files

• Attached File  01.jpg   156.27K   4 downloads
  • Attached File  02.jpg   163.53K   3 downloads

#23 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:16 PM

That's cool. I collect Lego Marvel too. I'd have to get that Hulk in green! The rest I could be more open. Though red Iron Man and blue Cappy would be best. I see Batman on there too, so it looks the the usual bootleg Marvel/DC mix. So what is it saying about 8 and 32 on that box?

Edited by steverotters, 07 May 2015 - 11:18 PM.

#24 retroworldkorea

retroworldkorea

Retro World Korea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 03:14 PM

The resolution is so bad and I can't make out what it says before the 8, but the 32 says regular ddakji. So I assume the 8 are like special ones. 

So it's probably saying that in one box there are 8 special ones and 32 regular ones. Possibly special colors, or special designs? Every series does things differently so it's hard to tell without having them in hand. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pokemon, pogs, ddakji, korea

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com