• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
  • Interests:Creepers, chompies, iszs, zombies, trashies, tikis, minions, mordles, murlocs, mushroomies, skeletons, ghosts, gremlins, goblins, gargoyles, demons, devils, dryads, plant mutants, bug mutants, fish mutants, creatures with one eye, creatures with more than two eyes, other monsters, muties, and meanies. Stormtroopers, Jawas, Toy Story aliens, Hulk, Groot, Gilman, Gormiti, Cthulhu, Swamp Thing, Toxie, Treebeard, Muckman.
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Beetlejuice and Ghostbusters minis!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 14 June 2015 - 07:26 PM

“People should call dinosaurs the original superheroes,” said Jeff Bock, a box office analyst with Exhibitor Relations. “They are just as big as Iron Man or Superman or Batman right now.”

Who saw it, and what do you think?

article:

http://www.msn.com/e...l7WRt?ocid=iehp

#2 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 08:00 PM

I rarely ever see a movie in the theaters. I usually wait for them to show up on Netflix. However, this one tempted me to go see it on the big screen. I haven't yet, but just might.

#3 retroworldkorea

retroworldkorea

Retro World Korea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Interests:vintage trash

Posted 14 June 2015 - 08:32 PM

I saw it on opening night here. I thought it was a fantastic way to bring the series back. Very different from the first one and obviously not as good, but much much better and way more entertaining than the second or third movies in my opinion. The only thing i didn't care for were the kid actors of the movie. Their story did nothing for me.  

I don't want to give anything away, but there was one major "different" thing they did in the movie that I thought I would hate but ended up kind of digging by the end of it. 

Also, I have the biggest man crush on Chris Pratt so I'll straight up watch anything with him in it haha. 

So unless you are allergic to fun, I recommend seeing this movie in theaters. 

#4 Guest_tarmogoyf_*

Guest_tarmogoyf_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2015 - 07:08 AM

100% agree with retroworldkorea.  

As long as you don't make the mistake of trying to compare it to the original one the movie was a really fun and exciting watch.  Its the kind of movie where if you wanted to you could make a bunch of nit picks, but ultimately by the end you don't really want to because the viewing experience was overwhelmingly enjoyable.  

I mean, DINOSAURS.

#5 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 15 June 2015 - 07:40 AM

I'm going to see it tomorrow night with the wife for our anniversary!

Romance at its finest.

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#6 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 16 June 2015 - 05:57 AM

qpgfppd.jpg

Planning to go see it tomorrow for date night.

#7 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:04 AM

I love recond breaking statistics.

#8 imperfecz

imperfecz

Götter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4302 posts
  • Interests:stuff n stuff

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:06 AM

Who doesn't?

#9 TinyPink

TinyPink

Vengeful Ghost of Bubba Ritter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1551 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:47 AM

I love recond breaking statistics.

recond that statement!

I'll see it as soon as it's available elsewhere.  I just can't do theaters, these days.

Welcomed currency:  Rubber Uglies, rubber monsters, jigglers, vinyl monsters, Arco monsters, Imperial monsters, fish cans....

#10 imperfecz

imperfecz

Götter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4302 posts
  • Interests:stuff n stuff

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:55 AM

^ Paul Ruebens has that same issue....

#11 TinyPink

TinyPink

Vengeful Ghost of Bubba Ritter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1551 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:59 AM

^ Paul Ruebens has that same issue....

Ohhhh, right...probably should have read that marquee a bit better!   Jurassic Pork, I rated it 3.5 tissues!

Whooops!

Welcomed currency:  Rubber Uglies, rubber monsters, jigglers, vinyl monsters, Arco monsters, Imperial monsters, fish cans....

#12 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:58 AM

So I saw the movie last night.

And that's about all that I have to say about that film.

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#13 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 18 June 2015 - 11:37 AM

So I saw the movie last night.

And that's about all that I have to say about that film.

1zv5o4j-1--54a7392fac172.jpg

#14 fkro6784

fkro6784

Little Weirdos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts
  • Interests:MIMP, Neclos Fortress, GPK, '80s fantasy toys, all kinds of monster-themed little rubber guys.

Posted 22 June 2015 - 05:58 PM

SPOILERS BELOW!

SPOILERS BELOW!

I saw this movie over the weekend and was somewhat entertained by it (because yeah, dinosaurs), but overall I thought it was disappointing and almost more like a parody of Jurassic Park than a continuation of it. I didn't find it fun or thrilling enough to be willing to overlook the many flaws. To me, the writing was just not good, the human characters were pretty much lame across the board and too much of it was just really ridiculous. Some of the stuff I found most ridiculous (again SPOILERS!):

- Those annoying kids, and everything in their storyline. What was the purpose of the whole parents divorcing thing? Plus, those two can magically get a decrepit, 20+ year abandoned car up and running, and that quickly?

- We don't know for sure where the hell the Indominus Rex is, but we're going to go ahead and go poke around on the inside of its enclosure anyway. Great idea!

- The random, drawn-out torturing and death of the assistant (pteranodon and mosasaurus scene), even though it was visually one of the most exciting parts, was majorly off-tone and stuck out in a really weird way. Would have worked better as a villain death.

- I was fine with the general idea of raptor-training, but all of a sudden at the end the raptors start acting more like pet dogs? Okay.  :rolleyes:

- Claire successfully and safely leads T-Rex into battle with Indominus using a flare. In high heels.

This was the first movie I saw after the new Mad Max and it just reminded me of how badass and refreshing of an action/adventure film Mad Max was...

Edited by fkro6784, 22 June 2015 - 05:59 PM.

14460229430_bb17eb3c18_n.jpg

#15 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 01:15 AM

I saw it and liked it a lot. I take movies at the surface and don't think too much into them.

I hope they make more.

#16 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 02:28 AM

SPOILERS BELOW!

SPOILERS BELOW!

I saw this movie over the weekend and was somewhat entertained by it (because yeah, dinosaurs), but overall I thought it was disappointing and almost more like a parody of Jurassic Park than a continuation of it. I didn't find it fun or thrilling enough to be willing to overlook the many flaws. To me, the writing was just not good, the human characters were pretty much lame across the board and too much of it was just really ridiculous. Some of the stuff I found most ridiculous (again SPOILERS!):

- Those annoying kids, and everything in their storyline. What was the purpose of the whole parents divorcing thing? Plus, those two can magically get a decrepit, 20+ year abandoned car up and running, and that quickly?

- We don't know for sure where the hell the Indominus Rex is, but we're going to go ahead and go poke around on the inside of its enclosure anyway. Great idea!

- The random, drawn-out torturing and death of the assistant (pteranodon and mosasaurus scene), even though it was visually one of the most exciting parts, was majorly off-tone and stuck out in a really weird way. Would have worked better as a villain death.

- I was fine with the general idea of raptor-training, but all of a sudden at the end the raptors start acting more like pet dogs? Okay.  :rolleyes:

- Claire successfully and safely leads T-Rex into battle with Indominus using a flare. In high heels.

This was the first movie I saw after the new Mad Max and it just reminded me of how badass and refreshing of an action/adventure film Mad Max was...

MORE SPOILERS

More importantly, why are pteranodons even attacking people? They aren't food. Perhaps babies but full-grown humans are a bit big to swallow. You don't see too many predators in real-life approaching targets bigger than themselves. (Before anybody jumps in saying we have no idea how dinosaurs truly behaved, we do have to base things on what we know now, which is current predators in their ecosystems.)

My biggest gripe with the movie, and the I Rex is the absolute biggest offender, is that the dinosaurs aren't animals in any sense of the word. They build it up with almost every line Owen Grady says for the first half that, "these are animals!" Then it just becomes a parody of itself when they turn into mindless, unstoppable killing machines in the third act. You can't tell me after a rocket explosion goes off that the I Rex isn't suffering in any capacity.

I saw it and liked it a lot. I take movies at the surface and don't think too much into them.

I hope they make more.

But there's an intense issue when, even at it's surface, it is just not a good movie. Even my wife wasn't a fan and she definitely doesn't look into a movie on a "deeper" level.

I can't see them not making a sequel. It's like the goddamn Transformer franchise right now. It's entirely a train-wreck but fans keep paying, so Michael Bay will continue 'splodin' until the fans stop spending. I can't see this being any different.

<p> </p>
<p>

#17 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 23 June 2015 - 06:19 AM

I was about to put my post in Spoiler tags but I guess it's kind of pointless this far down in the thread if I'm the only one using them  ;)

So....

DANGER AHEAD! THAR BE SPOILERS!

• overall I thought it was disappointing and almost more like a parody of Jurassic Park than a continuation of it. I

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who felt this way; to me the film felt like a half-assed homage to the original; they re-hashed the same themes from JP.

Tim and Lex 2.0, but since this is 2015 at least one of them had to be somewhat brooding and wearing a hoodie. I agree that the discussions about divorce took up way too much screen time, especially considering we see practically nothing of the parents at all, and in context of everything else going on (you know, dinosaurs and shit).

I can only assume they were attempting to humanize the characters and/or appeal to younger audiences by giving them identifiable characters, but based on how fragmented it came across it seems like a lot of this plotline got cut. Their relationships literally goes from "Shut up you're such a stupid baby" to "Hey, I'm your brother and I'm going to watch out for you no matter what" in between scenes but they never have any sort of transitional moment; it just happens and you're expected to accept it.

And the car thing....uh, yeah. Deux ex machina is no stranger to this film.

This reminded me of the lawyer's death in JP, only in that case it felt deserved and I remember people both cheering and laughing in the theatre when he got eaten. I guess we were supposed to hate the assistant more by then since she was always on her phone and kind of ambivalent towards the kids?

Another hamfisted sequence, almost like they realized they didn't have a "comic relief" death yet in the film so they wedged one in. It was a fun to watch, but no more meaningful to the audience than a random extra getting killed in a fantastical sequence of events. They might as well have made that Jimmy Buffet's cameo.

- I was fine with the general idea of raptor-training, but all of a sudden at the end the raptors start acting more like pet dogs?

Yeah, a neat idea that works a lot better if you haven't seen any of the first 3 films. Actually, I think that can probably be said about the entire movie. Oh, and remember that part earlier in the film when Chris Pratt and the trainee are almost killed by the raptors just for being in the enclosure? No you don't; hey look! Chris is riding with the raptors on a motorcycle! How badass is that?!

"Guys! Remember in the first movie when the one guy ran with a flare to get T-Rex to follow him? We should totally do that again!"

Seriously, on the way out I heard at least five women (girlfriend included) talking about how unrealistic it was that she didn't take her damn heels off the entire time. Grant (and Ian, to be fair) didn't have to run very far with the flare and ended up in a Jeep that was having a hard time escaping T-Rex. Claire must be fast as hell in those heels.

Other things that bugged me:

• I-Rex's "camouflage" makes it completely invisible, like it's using a Predator suit or something. 
  • Raptors turn and side with I-Rex when they realize it's part raptor, then very shortly afterwards change back and side with the humans because he was mean to one of them or something? (I don't remember honestly, just that it seemed stupid).
  • In general, the raptor-assisted battle with the I-Rex felt like a re-hash of the scene from JP with the raptors attacking T-Rex in the visitor's center. 
  • T-Rex just saunters off after (kind of) beating the I-Rex; suddenly has no interest in killing people or anything else. Oh, and the raptors are now his buddies for some reason.
  • When exactly did they recover the tracking device they used to hunt the I-Rex with the raptors? The entire team that recovered it was eaten by I-Rex, they never mention anything about anybody going to find it (or why they would even bother), but when they decide to use the raptors to hunt I-Rex, "We can use this to track it!"
  • The geneticist doctor they brought back from the first film is just not a good actor. He was fine enough in JP (where he had very few lines and no required emotional range), but most of the scenes with him in it were painful to watch for me. Particularly the scene where he's arguing with the owner about genetic manipulation. It felt like I was watching someone in an improv class; casting him in a major role like that felt like yet another nostalgia-centric decision.

Edited by bachamn, 23 June 2015 - 06:51 AM.

#18 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 06:42 AM

http://io9.com/juras...dium=socialflow

I don't think this movie was made for us.

I think it's incredibly stupid.. But also have to admit that 7-12 year old Jimmy would have been jumping around the theater having multiple nerdgasms over that shit. It was made more for that.

It's not a good movie, by any stretch of the imagination, but I haven't heard many people say that it wasn't fun.

Funny Predator gets a mention, as that was a fun-yet-not-good movie, also.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com