#1 retroworldkorea

retroworldkorea

Retro World Korea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Interests:vintage trash

Posted 28 April 2015 - 05:51 AM

So I made the huge mistake of rushing into things and ordered materials without doing much research. Ended up with a silicone with a high viscosity level and didn't properly set up the molds. I read about how to make a two piece mold, but thought just making a single piece mold and cutting it down the middle would be easier. BOY WAS I WRONG. Had a lot of trouble cutting the piece in half and it ended up in three pieces.

Here is the monster that ended up being generated. Was trying to make a duplicate mold for a Goku rubber figure that I found here. 

Luckily, I had a Han Solo in carbonite mold laying around that I bought ages ago and was able to use some of the excess resin to make a bunch. 

I found an official supplier in Korea for Smooth On so I will be able to follow the tutorials that are on youtube using the exact proper materials and procedure next time.

Lesson learned: PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE. 

Attached Files

#2 MantisFang

MantisFang

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 06:04 AM

Nice job for a first attempt!

Every mistake is a lesson and im sure it will go much smoother next go around.
(Especially with smooth-on)
Keep on it!

Edited by MantisFang, 28 April 2015 - 06:07 AM.

#3 Jesse

Jesse

They should really get a breathalyzer on thi site

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1051 posts
  • Interests:Fistful of power, Universe of violence and random odds and ends...

Posted 28 April 2015 - 06:45 AM

Yes keep the work up. For a first attempt id say thats very good and sounds like you even learned alot :D

That fig gives me idea: Keshi style kid Goku! That would make great minifig :woot:
Im not a Dragonball fan but Gokus friggin badass

#4 retroworldkorea

retroworldkorea

Retro World Korea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 07:00 AM

I wanted to make a mold of this goku because the original keshi has stains and discoloration that I can't remove. My goal is to eventually make rubber figures and not resin. Resin just seems to be the easiest material to work with at the moment and the most accessible. 

I have ZERO sculpting skills, so I just want to make recreations in different colors or maybe some Frankenstein type designs. 

#5 bigburty

bigburty

Cushty Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2409 posts
  • Interests:MIMP
    Armorvors
    Crayboths
    MUSCLE
    SLUG Zombies
    OMFG

This and that - mostly that!

Posted 28 April 2015 - 07:55 AM

Nice one bud :thumbsup: I've just ordered my first batch of mould making silicone. Next up, the resin.

#6 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
  • Interests:Creepers, chompies, iszs, zombies, trashies, tikis, minions, mordles, murlocs, mushroomies, skeletons, ghosts, gremlins, goblins, gargoyles, demons, devils, dryads, plant mutants, bug mutants, fish mutants, creatures with one eye, creatures with more than two eyes, other monsters, muties, and meanies. Stormtroopers, Jawas, Toy Story aliens, Hulk, Groot, Gilman, Gormiti, Cthulhu, Swamp Thing, Toxie, Treebeard, Muckman.
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Beetlejuice and Ghostbusters minis!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 28 April 2015 - 09:01 AM

Man, you just jumped right in!  Thanks for sharing this and the transparency with your process, even making your mistakes.  I hope to learn along with you as you progress.

#7 retroworldkorea

retroworldkorea

Retro World Korea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 03:04 PM

Used the last of this crappy silicone I bought to attempt one last mold. I used a pikachu ddakji since it's flat. I'm not 100% happy with how it came out, but it's better than the Goku at least! I'm realizsing that I don't have any tools to soften up the rough corners of the resin after I cast a mold. Are there specific tools for this?  

I had a tiny bit of silicone left over so I tried to make a mold of the smallest figure I had. Didn't come out SO great, but not SO bad either. The ear part was too small and didn't fill with resin when I poured. Not bad for a mold I put together in less than 10 minutes though haha. 

Anyway, any feedback would be much appreciated.  Excited to order some smooth-on products and attempt a more serious project. Probably going to order some Mold Max 14NV since it doesn't need to be vacuumed. What do yall think?

Attached Files

• Attached File  01.jpg   55.21K   0 downloads
  • Attached File  02.jpg   37.96K   0 downloads
  • Attached File  03.jpg   44.38K   1 downloads
  • Attached File  04.jpg   34.77K   1 downloads
  • Attached File  05.jpg   54.97K   1 downloads

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com