• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 andy53600

andy53600

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:All things retro. Mostly old consoles &amp; classic games such as Mortal Kombat, Doom, Duke Nukem, Sonic the Hedgehog, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Aliens etc.<br /><br />And perhaps best of all............MIMPS 'n' BOGLINS!!!

Posted 08 August 2018 - 04:06 PM

Hi all, was wondering what you lot think of this little discovery of mine while on eBay UK tonight. Don't even get me started on the price with this one! :unsure:

https://www.ebay.co...._from=R40&rt=nc

I mean, fair enough the tags still on albeit a bit scratty looking, but I thought the Boglin Cage promo was exclusive for Series 2 figures only (i.e. the 1994 tribes). Hence why it's mentioned on reverse side of my Medievals blister pack. The figures in this listing clearly has Series 1 figures in their darker colours.

Firstly, I can see a mustard coloured Spy Tong. Last time I checked, all spies were only made in black. And at least 2 figures there should be retired (e.g. Chief Karf and Purg I think the other one is going by the ball and chain round his wrist). Also thought I'd show a snapshot of the original ad so you can see what I mean. May have asked this before but just need some clarification, were the Disgustings and Army Guys a later addition to the first series. I'm guessing they are as I've never seen them in neon colours.

toypedia041.jpg

#2 Mikeum

Mikeum

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:MINI BOGLIIIIINS

Posted 08 August 2018 - 05:35 PM

i think this could be the actual boglins that came with the cage simply because the figures have the battle code stickers on the bottom, and the card advertises the battle code stickers. but i dont believe they have never been opened. the cage door just clicks into place, so there's no way of proving if it had never been opened

also, army guys came in neons. disgustings did too, but only 2 of the figures, Drak and Chief Drox. i believe this was only because the 2 figures were included in the "Rare Dudes" re-release set. 

uHcmBgl.jpg?1

#3 andy53600

andy53600

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:All things retro. Mostly old consoles &amp; classic games such as Mortal Kombat, Doom, Duke Nukem, Sonic the Hedgehog, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Aliens etc.<br /><br />And perhaps best of all............MIMPS 'n' BOGLINS!!!

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:56 AM

i think this could be the actual boglins that came with the cage simply because the figures have the battle code stickers on the bottom, and the card advertises the battle code stickers. but i dont believe they have never been opened. the cage door just clicks into place, so there's no way of proving if it had never been opened

also, army guys came in neons. disgustings did too, but only 2 of the figures, Drak and Chief Drox. i believe this was only because the 2 figures were included in the "Rare Dudes" re-release set. 

Yeah I noticed the battle code stickers on the figures which made me think there as I thought those weren't introduced until Series 2. I actually once owned the Boglins cage. Just can't recall which ones I got with it. :confused:

I know for a fact I had a neon green Chief Smog but that might've came out of a blind single pack. My Prehistorics were from a blister 3-pack and didn't manage to complete a full set back in the day unfortunately. :( Other than those, I barely touched on the 1994 tribes for some insane reason unbeknown to me to this day.

So you're probably right then Mikeum. The Cage must've came out pretty early on during the Mini's first release in 1991/92 perhaps. I did have an awful lot of browns, greys, tanned and salmon-coloured figures around that time. Much to my dismay of course, hated those damn colours! <_< Didn't mind the silver ones though.

#4 Jamesmate

Jamesmate

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 01:17 PM

I actually sent this guy a message the other day asking how they know it's never been opened, no response of course.

Thinking about it again now - even with what we know about the cage just being clip-open - it clearly has been opened because that cardboard slip doesn't sit on the outside, nor is it taped on, it comes inside the cage, so it's been taken out previously, here's mine...

See where the design of the card is actually cut to the shape of the inside of the cage where it sits, the left is long whereas the right has a gap for the 'Boglins' banner to go between it across that side of the cage, this also means the card is even placed on the wrong side of the cage in that ebay listing considering where the banner is

Attached Files

#5 Mikeum

Mikeum

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 05:12 PM

Nice, does your card have the same boglins on the artwork as the ebay listing? I noticed yours has 1994 on it, I wonder if the ebay guy has an earlier date on his

I wonder if the blue cages were released later, they seem much less common

I actually sent this guy a message the other day asking how they know it's never been opened, no response of course.

Thinking about it again now - even with what we know about the cage just being clip-open - it clearly has been opened because that cardboard slip doesn't sit on the outside, nor is it taped on, it comes inside the cage, so it's been taken out previously, here's mine...

See where the design of the card is actually cut to the shape of the inside of the cage where it sits, the left is long whereas the right has a gap for the 'Boglins' banner to go between it across that side of the cage, this also means the card is even placed on the wrong side of the cage in that ebay listing considering where the banner is

uHcmBgl.jpg?1

#6 Jamesmate

Jamesmate

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:49 AM

One of the Action Boglins also came in a blue cage, each Action came in a different colour cage, the rarity of those cages seems to reflect the rarity of the Action it came in too.

Yeah same artwork, but slightly different layout, it doesn't have the 'Secret Battle Code' patch on the right corner on the back of the card like that one.
Also curiously, I have an Ideal trade catalogue from 1994 which mentions the Battle Code's being a new thing in Boglin lore - and they don't appear in my 1993 trade catalogue...hmmm

#7 andy53600

andy53600

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 06:39 AM

One of the Action Boglins also came in a blue cage, each Action came in a different colour cage, the rarity of those cages seems to reflect the rarity of the Action it came in too.

Yeah same artwork, but slightly different layout, it doesn't have the 'Secret Battle Code' patch on the right corner on the back of the card like that one.
Also curiously, I have an Ideal trade catalogue from 1994 which mentions the Battle Code's being a new thing in Boglin lore - and they don't appear in my 1993 trade catalogue...hmmm

Thanks for sharing Jamesmate.  :thumbsup: Certainly some interesting info I'm getting here. Never owned an Action Boglin before, didn't know they came in different colour cages either. Rather like those Baby Boglin finger puppets that came inside different coloured eggs. I had at least a couple of those in my time. I also had a water squirting Boglin that came inside a carded blister pack. 

So because that cage card is dated 1994, that UK seller is clearly trying to pass it off as brand new and unopened, threw in a dozen random figures from Series 1, then listing it at an inflated price hoping nobody will know any different. Hate it when folk do that!!  :angry:

At least it would've been more believable if he'd had a mix of Prehistorics, Army Guys and Disgustings thrown in the mix. Come to think of it, I bet that's where most of my Army ones came from. Other than that I'm purely guessing here, for all I know the cage might just have came without any figures. But I think I sent away for mine rather than getting it from any the toy shops we had in my city at the time.

#8 Jamesmate

Jamesmate

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 12:07 PM

The water squirting boglin you mention is called a Baby Action Spitting Boglin.

These specific cages with the card back came with 12 inside, hence the '12 caged mini boglins' title - here's a snap from the catalogue attached - but the cage you sent away for with the required tokens would have been sent empty and likely with no card back, do you recall getting any kind of letter with it too?

I know of a guy that apparently sent his tokens in a bit too late and received a letter from Ideal saying he was late to the cage offer but they included some badges with mini boglins artwork on as a sort of consolation thank you, I've only ever seen 6 of these badges come up for sale in the last 5 years, and owned each one of those 6, I still have the full set of 4 and think that they may have only been made for that reason perhaps, purely due to how rarely they're seen.

Perhaps that seller thinks that because the cage is a bit difficult to open that it must be new, not knowing that you have to press in one side to unhinge it, that's all I can think of as there's no clear tie visible on it, his lack of reply to what I asked isn't a good sign though.

- Just seen he's added more photos to the ebay listing, showing 1994 on the back too, which means both versions of the card back (with Secret Battle Code on, and without) must have been released that year. The card isn't even connected to the cage at all anymore so calling it new and unopened I can understand even less than before, anyone else have any luck sending them a message?

Attached Files

#9 andy53600

andy53600

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 08:10 AM

Yeah them's the babies alright! lol  :) Again like a lot of the other tribes, I didn't have the whole set (even though there's only 3 to collect).

As for the cage, I think you're right Jamesmate. I don't recall a card back attached to it nor having any letter either. I too found the thing a real bugger to open. Eventually got some figures locked away in there, hence why half my collection never saw the light of day after that!  :rolleyes:

While on the subject, just came across this listing last night: https://www.ebay.co...._from=R40&rt=nc

Does anyone know how many different colour cages were released?

#10 Jamesmate

Jamesmate

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 10:00 AM

There's 3 characters to collect in that line yeah, but each come in 4 different colours, so depends how completist you are haha.

There's 5 colours of cage, yellow and brown are the most common, with blue, green and a muddy yellow-brown being seen a lot less often

Edited by Jamesmate, 18 August 2018 - 07:44 AM.

#11 andy53600

andy53600

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 07:43 AM

There's 3 characters to collect in that line yeah, but each come in 3 different colours, so depends how completist you are haha.

There's 5 colours of cage, yellow and brown are the most common, with blue, green and a muddy yellow-brown being seen a lot less often

Aye mate, its fair to say I was a lot less completist when it came to Boglins back then! lol :lol: I was defo more MIMP orientated than I am today.

From what I remember of mine, I'd say the cage I had was more beige-coloured like the one in the catalogue snap you showed above.

Will have to keep my eyes peeled for a proper brand new unopened caged 12-pack with card back. Would be very interesting to see what mix of figures inside there'll be and how pricey.

#12 Mikeum

Mikeum

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:42 AM

i saw a green cage ended today. if one of you guys won it, there's a boglin in that lot im after  :wub:  

uHcmBgl.jpg?1

#13 jugemscloud

jugemscloud

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 02:33 AM

necro bump for my first post with additional info.

iirc from my childhood days of boglin collecting the cages had cable ties to keep them shut (i won't say what type or size in case of people trying to fake them as it would be pretty easy), but i remember them fairly clearly when i was reading through here.

i remember as i went to the same toy shop a few times and they had a few cages but in store swapping :rolleyes: couldn't be done. though that method was how i got a few of my gold chiefs as a kid with the wave 2 cardboard boxes in woolies, got a proper shouted at by my mum when she seen what i did  :lol: iirc there was a wave 2 box variant that guarantees a gold chief and iirc it wasn't the card window style version

also there was a gitd boglin badge i had as a child that i wish i kept now it was one of those break the liquid glow stick style things you see at firework displays for kids, i think it got chucked in a house move lived in the freezer for years for that one day i would wear it again in the hopes the chemicals would still work  :rolleyes:  probably about 1 inch in diameter and 1cm thick, but i can't remember the boglin on it

Edited by jugemscloud, 26 July 2020 - 02:55 AM.

#14 Jamesmate

Jamesmate

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 05:29 AM

also there was a gitd boglin badge i had as a child that i wish i kept now it was one of those break the liquid glow stick style things you see at firework displays for kids, i think it got chucked in a house move lived in the freezer for years for that one day i would wear it again in the hopes the chemicals would still work  :rolleyes:  probably about 1 inch in diameter and 1cm thick, but i can't remember the boglin on it

Badge like this?

Attached Files

#15 jugemscloud

jugemscloud

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 01:47 AM

yeah thats the one

#16 Jamesmate

Jamesmate

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 10:16 AM

Cool man, that's the only one I've found in 6 years of collecting, and you're the first person I know of that remembers them

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com