141 replies to this topic

#1 jphat

jphat

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:49 AM

So this was originally on the Abombinable collection thread, just wanted to do a new thread in case people missed it that might be able to help out cuz i'm still not sure from people's comments whether it's something good or not. either way, it's the only mimp i have, i only really care about muscles, so i'll probably end up throwing it on ebay and opening it up to all community collectors to own if it is something good. if it's not something good, i'll just keep it - cuz it's my only mimp. :wacko:

Thanks for your help here!
-Jason

Attached Files

Edited by jphat79, 15 December 2009 - 09:52 AM.

#2 SmokinGun

SmokinGun

Weird, Wild Wrestler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2182 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E.

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:29 PM

So this was originally on the Abombinable collection thread, just wanted to do a new thread in case people missed it that might be able to help out cuz i'm still not sure from people's comments whether it's something good or not. either way, it's the only mimp i have, i only really care about muscles, so i'll probably end up throwing it on ebay and opening it up to all community collectors to own if it is something good. if it's not something good, i'll just keep it - cuz it's my only mimp. ;)

-Jason

I dont blame you if you dont sell it. Im not an avid MIMP collector, but I did collected MIMP when they first came out. I kinda lost them through-out the years till one day I dig up my old toy collection. I only have 2 figures from what I found. I dont know if there rare or not. But i'll keep what I got and maybe....just maybe I'll collect MIMP one day.

BTW: I notice you change your avatar. The one you have now is hilarious. :lol:

Edited by SmokinGun, 15 December 2009 - 08:30 PM.

#3 jphat

jphat

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:20 PM

haha thanks! there's some weird stuff goin on in the kinnikuman picture!

Attached Files

#4 GormTransMonsters

GormTransMonsters

Die-Hard Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Mini Monocoloured Rubber and Plastic Figures from everywhere. Mainly MIMPs, Gormiti, OMFG!

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:45 PM

So this was originally on the Abombinable collection thread, just wanted to do a new thread in case people missed it that might be able to help out cuz i'm still not sure from people's comments whether it's something good or not. either way, it's the only mimp i have, i only really care about muscles, so i'll probably end up throwing it on ebay and opening it up to all community collectors to own if it is something good. if it's not something good, i'll just keep it - cuz it's my only mimp. :yes:

-Jason

FANTASTIC!!!!!
If this one is really original It's a GREAT FIND!!!!! I'd like to have one in my collection too!!!!

Edited by GormTransMonsters, 16 December 2009 - 02:46 PM.

#5 jack cambrian

jack cambrian

godless biologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Music, Science, Religion, Scrabble, Monster In My Pocket, Battle Beasts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:46 PM

Jroc, before you do anything with this figure, I would suggest getting some other MIMPs for comparison and take some photos with pink and light purple coloured figures just to make sure that it's the real deal. Without a point of comparison, some MIMPs seem more exciting than they really are. I'm not trying to be a downer or anything, I just think it's better to be sure about these things - particularly if you want to sell it on eBay as a potentially high stakes item.

#6 jphat

jphat

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:14 AM

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! :blush:

HAHA If I buy any, I'll start collecting them!!!

thanks for the idea though, you're right. I guess if it hasn't been documented before, it would be good to have some comparison shots to be sure.

#7 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:48 PM

An alternative that I would advocate, is to contact a more trustworthy and established member of the boards that collects MIMPs and also has a camera. You could send it in the mail to that person, let him check it out, and then send it back to you. I don't recommend this idea right now, because December is a horrible time to send anything in the mail, but maybe after the new year or something.

BTW, I'm not volunteering - no camera.

Edited by Boaconda, 17 December 2009 - 12:48 PM.

#8 jphat

jphat

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:27 PM

I don't really see anything on ebay now, if anyone can help me out with a couple comparison mimps that I could buy, hit me up please.

#9 Acidonia

Acidonia

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 03:58 PM

This is Probally from the Uk.

The newspaper The Sun did a promo offer where you could get a free a Series 1 Mimp in series 2 colours to promote the 2nd series. You got the figure from Woolworths stores they also did one for the Super scary Series (Series 4) these came painted and un painted but you could get the Glow in the dark figures in these promos painted in regular colours. I have a green painted shape shifter thats not a glow in the dark figure.

I have no idea how many of series 1 figures or Super Scarry figures where in these promos. I do have a Pink series 2 The Beast from the offer though.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 jack cambrian

jack cambrian

godless biologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Music, Science, Religion, Scrabble, Monster In My Pocket, Battle Beasts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:01 PM

I have no idea how many of series 1 figures or Super Scarry figures where in these promos. I do have a Pink series 2 The Beast from the offer though.

Yeah, the pink Beast is fairly common (for an uncommon figure). I've got one and I see them on the eBay relatively frequently. Never seen a pink Jotun Troll though.

#11 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:41 PM

The newspaper The Sun did a promo offer where you could get a free a Series 1 Mimp in series 2 colours to promote the 2nd series.

With the exceptions of the Ghost and Cerberus, who were made to specifically replace two actual Series 2 sculpts, there are no Series 1 figures in Series 2's green. If that's what The Sun claimed to be the promotion's origin, so be it, but it's not really an accurate statement.

Also, MIMP had dozens of promotions, especially ones that used Series 1 figures, so it's very unlikely that your example means this Troll came from the UK. But it might be possible.

#12 jphat

jphat

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:15 PM

Comparison shots attached

Attached Files

#13 jack cambrian

jack cambrian

godless biologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:56 AM

Comparison shots attached

Hoooooooly shiiiiiiiiiiiit!

#14 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog

Duck President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4202 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:41 AM

So, previously undocumented premium, then? :D

Anyone care to take a guess at the likely value of this thing? On the basis that MIMP collectors are at least as insane as M.U.S.C.L.E. collectors, I'm going to price this at anything north of $500.
<span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#8b0000;">Stuff I'm selling: <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=220814">Madballs Water Squirters</a> *</strong></span> <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=154077">Gormiti</a> * <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=148080">Miscellaneous (MIMP, FOA etc)</a></strong></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#808000;">Stuff I really need:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=235893"><strong>HERE</strong></a></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#008000;">Stuff I collect:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...showtopic=44163"><strong>Gormiti</strong></a></span><br><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#4b0082;">Get your own easy-to-use</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...ndpost&p=264795"><strong>M.U.S.C.L.E.</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">or</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...08"><strong>MIMP Series 1/2</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">checklists!</span></span>

#15 jphat

jphat

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:46 AM

So, previously undocumented premium, then? :yes:

Anyone care to take a guess at the likely value of this thing? On the basis that MIMP collectors are at least as insane as M.U.S.C.L.E. collectors, I'm going to price this at anything north of $500.

HAHA - That's funny, I wish that were the case. <_<

Edited by jphat79, 21 January 2010 - 09:49 AM.

#16 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog

Duck President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4202 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:05 AM

Hey, I'm deadly serious. In the past few months I've seen Blemmyea regularly fetch $150 or $190, and there are thousands of them. This figure is evidently a lot less common than any of those Series 3 figures.
<span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#8b0000;">Stuff I'm selling: <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=220814">Madballs Water Squirters</a> *</strong></span> <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=154077">Gormiti</a> * <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=148080">Miscellaneous (MIMP, FOA etc)</a></strong></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#808000;">Stuff I really need:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=235893"><strong>HERE</strong></a></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#008000;">Stuff I collect:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...showtopic=44163"><strong>Gormiti</strong></a></span><br><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#4b0082;">Get your own easy-to-use</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...ndpost&p=264795"><strong>M.U.S.C.L.E.</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">or</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...08"><strong>MIMP Series 1/2</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">checklists!</span></span>

#17 jack cambrian

jack cambrian

godless biologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:32 PM

Hey, I'm deadly serious. In the past few months I've seen Blemmyea regularly fetch $150 or $190, and there are thousands of them. This figure is evidently a lot less common than any of those Series 3 figures.

Yeah, god only knows what price this would fetch. The only thing with heretofore unknown figures, is that nobody knows about them. Once word gets around collectors that this a (currently) one of a kind figure, then yeah, the upper price range will be unprecedented. MUSCLE collectors seem to be more accustomed to 'super-rares' but as far as I'm aware this is the first time I've seen an equivelent within the MIMP. So, it's really impossible to say how the buyers will react. Very exciting find though.

#18 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:29 PM

Not to mention that it appears minty fresh. How fun that you found this. The mystery figures are definitely one of the coolest parts of our hobby.

If you are considering selling it, I'd hang on to it for a while until news of it's existence percolates through the MIMP community. But at the same time, be wary that you don't get sucked into the darkside of collecting that sometimes rears its hideous head when finds like these are made.
Posted Image

#19 jphat

jphat

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:37 PM

HAHA - I'm a nice guy to begin with & that won't change. I do see what you are saying though, as I've read the board quite throughly out of interest & I did see the trend of obsessive behavior that you discuss. Problem is I do not collect these & try to limit my collections as much as possible because I'm from NY & live in CA, so it's very hard for me to stay afloat as it is, if I spent the money I wanted to on toys, I would not be able to sustain myself in warm weather, which is key for me. So I will not be collecting MIMPs in the future and honestly, it should go to someone that appreciates it more than I. It would be like someone that only cared about MIMPs owning a SR muscle, it's pointless overall but because they only care about MIMP, they'd never really appreciate the rarity of a purple claw or BHS. ya know?

#20 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:41 PM

That makes perfect sense. There's plenty of members here who would give it a wonderful home in their awesome MIMP collections. :)

And by "getting sucked into the darkside" I just meant that if/when people start to make offers, things can unfortunately sometimes get ugly/heated or worse. ;)

But not always! ;)
Posted Image

#21 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:08 AM

Soupie is right. Don't jump to sell it. Let people find out you have it.

Having said that, I have one suggestion and one observation. My suggestion would be to sell the item on eBay. You'll definitely get the most money that way. Yes there will be eBay fees, but I think it will actually alleviate much of the stress that could come from a private sale and managing all the offers. Of course, that's just my opinion.

The observation is more about the price of "rare" LRG's. As a MUSCLE collector the absurd prices begin to seem "normal," even though I don't agree with them. They just become part of the landscape. When you see the suggestion of similar high prices, and you aren’t familiar with the landscape, they seem extra insane. I think it's just an interesting opportunity in perspective.

#22 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 11:45 AM

Brojo, excellent analysis. I think all such discoveries should be inspected under the metaphorical microscope. Since this seems to be the first of its kind - a Super Rare MIMP if you will - it may not be a bad idea to have a well-know, trust-worthy MIMP collector take a look at it in hand (like Boa suggested).

Both the bootleg and custom figure concerns are warranted, but as you say Brojo, don't seem to be the case. The figure is immaculate with pretty much zero flash, and if it were custom molded, you'd be able to see were the material was poured into the mold and later dremelled smooth, right? No evidence of that whatsoever.

That bad boy looks 100% legit.
Posted Image

#23 jphat

jphat

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:30 PM

If anyone is in the Orange County/LA area that would like to verify it, I'd be more than happy to meet with them, I would not want to mail the figure to anyone though. & this isn't my only MIMP anymore, I have 3 now! :(

#24 jphat

jphat

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:50 PM

haha i usually stick to what i had when i was a kid, and i didn't have any mimp, just muscles. :(

no need to cut anything, it's real. it's not cast or painted, i know toys pretty well and it's real.

& honestly, after this thread, there's no way i could do that - besides, you'd be able to stretch the rubber and see the paint break.

#25 Aikola

Aikola

Main Offender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:01 PM

This find makes me think that that Star Monster could really exist, if its taken us god knows how many years to find this figure and there must have been 1000's the Star Monster could have only been released in the 100's saying that makes me think we will find it in the year 2404 :unsure:
Aikola: Collecting figures that no-one else cares about since 2007.
"Punk Rock: A loud, fast and deliberately offensive style of rock music"

My Trade List
My Little Army
Aikola's Mini Boglin Colour Archive

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com