Marvel Universe

• Please log in to reply
952 replies to this topic

#76 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:03 PM

30 or so of Camo alone?! Yikes! Case assortments put him at one per case, but if the store was going through enough cases or something, perhaps he's getting left behind for being low on the totem pole of popularity. You should've gotten one too, you only have 50-70 years left! ;) Again, see future eventual Kamen Rider thread. (Squee, I got a toy I wanted. :D)

No! 30 or so figs on the pegs from that particular scale of the line total. There were a good 50 or more in stock including the bikers and the larger figures, and mech looking ones.

There were like 5 of each basic scaled figure though. Sorry about that. :lol:

Yeah, the Red Hulk variant still doesn't appear to me to be an intentional variation. I still think it's a change in production. Maybe they had to go to a different color paint or whatever. I'm telling you it's just so weird! It's like 2 different color plastics, but the painted areas are glossy too. Crazy. It's driving me mad. I'll have to open it to get a good visual comparison. For all I know it could be the packaging screwing with me, but I doubt it. I've looked at countless other figures from the line to see if I can notice any similar changes, but none at all. And one store had like 4 of each figure in stock.

Posted Image

#77 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:38 PM

Oh! And wave 5 packaged.

Attached Files

Posted Image

#78 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:34 PM

Awesome! Namor, Iron Man, and Electro are all must-haves for me. Man this line has just started and they're already well on their way to outpacing Marvel Legends as far as character inclusion. Can't wait to see these ones on shelves. :D
Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#79 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

just getting into knife making.

blade of the immortal is my master.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:03 PM

thanks for the effort on the hunt urs. i totally understand you needing/wanting to keep the one and only red hulk you could find. i don't doubt i'll eventually get one. like you said he's coming back out in wave 5.

on a side note. i wonder if the variation you've seen in the red hulks is coming from two different factories. maybe one factory is cutting corners on the painting in order to meet quotas for production. leaving out that final wash/coat of glossy goodness. just a theory.

if i encounter the demons in hell, i will kill them all..

vi veri veniversum vivus vici.

#80 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:23 PM

Well, I should of took pics of them while I was snapping my cover shots today, but it skipped my mind.

I didn't even think of opening him today, so I havn't had a chance to visually compare them on a better scale.

Edited by Universal Ruler Supreme, 16 July 2009 - 04:24 PM.

Posted Image

#81 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:18 PM

Alright! RED HULK comparison time! I hope you guys can see the differences in the shots. It was very difficult photographing the red for some reason. These shots are barely half of what I took, and only these were worth posting..

NOTE: Every shot with both Hulks in it have the Matte/Flat colored Hulk on the Left, and the Glossy Hulk on the Right. Where there is a comparison of 2 different shots it's the same.

RED HULKS FRONT

Attached File  RMGFront1.JPG   137.37K   30 downloads

RED HULKS BACK

Attached File  RMGBack2.JPG   129.1K   14 downloads

RED HULKS LEGS

Attached File  RMGLegs2.JPG   150.18K   9 downloads

RED HULKS PANTS

Attached File  RMPants2.JPG   136.92K   7 downloadsAttached File  RGPants2.JPG   154.34K   5 downloads

RED HULKS MUSCULATURE

Attached File  RMGMusc1.JPG   134.94K   4 downloads

RED HULKS FEET

Attached File  RMGFeet1.JPG   160.5K   5 downloads

RED HULKS TRADE MARKS

Attached File  RMGTradeclose1.JPG   118.74K   6 downloads

Hope those help. I think I had them too close to one of the lights in a number of shots, as there was way too much glare coming off their skin sometimes.

But if you look closely you will notice the Glossy Hulk on the Right shines more. I noticed some things as well with the teeth. The Matte version I have appears to have White teeth, and the Glossy version appears to have a very light yellow teeth. I can't say that this is just due to available paint or not. And since these are the only 2 Red Hulks I've seen I can't gather any other info. All the closeups of the faces just wouldn't turn out for some reason. I may have to try again later. The most noticeable difference between the two is the shot of their backs. I still can't say for certain that these are purposely done variations, but they are variations none the less. Until Hasbro confirms this, we won't know for sure. I encourage anyone who has pull with any of those sites that are able to interview the Hasbro team every so often to ask this question if possible next time.

And I'm sure there will be a few folks who stumble upon this post while trying to figure it out for themselves who aren't members at LRG. So if you must use any of my photos above please make an effort to ask me for permission to use them if it's on your personal website. Anyone who just plans on posting them on another message board can just reference me as the source. :D <----- Look I must think my pics are sort of important! :D

Posted Image

#82 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:54 PM

excellent pics. they do show the little details and differences in the two variations. i'm now even more convinced that it may be different factories. if one isn't hitting the production goals they're being given then they are prolly cutting out little steps in the production process in order to hit their goal.

i do think that the glossy finish looks best on the skin and should have been left off of the pants. but maybe it's a dipping or spraying process that makes omitting the pants from gloss impractical.

#83 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:10 PM

I mentioned this to URS via PM, but i think it merits mentioning here...i don't really think that the differing Red Hulks constitute a proper "variant". I'd venture to say that it's a cost-cutting running change. Especially now, that other message boards have kinda led me to believe that the glossy version is becoming more prevalent. I honestly think Hasbro has just taken something that's both the most costly figure to produce in the line and the one that requires the least paint detail, and just omitted a paint wash part way through production. The glossy version to me just looks more "unfinished" than anything else. But then again stuff like improperly molded hands on Star Wars figures can end up being a desirable "variant", so whatever makes ya happy i guess. :D

Hasbro definitely has a history of stuff like that. Hell, the original all-black Snake Eyes figure was nothing more than a cost-saving measure....take a figure that doesn't necessarily need paint, and just don't paint it. :D
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#84 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:31 PM

You've got that the wrong way around though. The matte version is the one that appeared second, not the glossy one, and you would apply something to make a figure with a glossy finish, not glossy to matte. The prevalence of the glossy version would indicate instead that the matte version is only a recent change and taking time to filter into stores, but your reasoning otherwise fits.

#85 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:18 AM

Well, I got the Matte version first, and weeks before I found the Glossy. It's really hard to say. As the pics show, even the pants are glossy looking, but it's possible this is due to the more concentrated paint wash they applied, as you can see where they got over spray onto the stomach and lower back of the same piece. If you look at the 2nd image of the Glossy version...those light shadowy looking areas on the lower back are actually wash overspray. It looks like they didn't wipe it all off.

As for their arms there is very little difference between them...some, but I couldn't really show alot from the pics. The matte version is very even and clean though. I couldn't find a crevice that wasn't matted, but the same went with the glossy. The arms are making me think production change for sure. Glossy finished plastic is the norm for freshly popped out Plastic figures though. Just look at a case fresh pack of M.U.S.C.L.E.s. All will be nice and shiny unless the detailing of the figure diminishes this. Model Kits are always glossy fresh out of the box as well.

Posted Image

#86 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:14 AM

Glossy finished plastic is the norm for freshly popped out Plastic figures though. Just look at a case fresh pack of M.U.S.C.L.E.s. All will be nice and shiny unless the detailing of the figure diminishes this. Model Kits are always glossy fresh out of the box as well.

Yeah this was my reasoning. Look how shiny the Hasbro Marvel Legends figures were. They looked too shiny and ridiculous next to the ToyBiz ones, because Hasbro left a bunch of them largely unpainted to cut costs.

Oh and just to save our team of MU hunters on here some trouble, i am not in fact looking for a Red Hulk. I got wave 4 all in one shot, despite URS's apology for not getting me a Red Hulk. :D I am still looking for the wave 1 Iron Man (001).

EDIT: Just need that first Iron Man figure now, got Daredevil and Bullseye on the way! Thanks Dan!

Edited by Scumdogg, 17 July 2009 - 01:24 PM.

A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#87 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:16 PM

Ah shazbots! The Thing variant is already starting to hit stores in new wave 4 case assortments. :D Hasbro doesn't want me to have any money to myself.

Posted Image

#88 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:03 PM

Forgiving the early morning stupidity of that last post... this bit is still true though.

The matte version is the one that appeared second, not the glossy one...

http://www.toyark.co...ant-found-1342/

Whatever the true reason for the Rulk variant, I think it is safe to say that the matte version is at least the newer figure. And I finally got the verdict in - I have the matte version! Yay?

#89 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:14 PM

My only gripe about that article is that it was posted only 2 weeks after the first online report I've seen of when Wave 4 figures hit shelves Sand Diego. So really it's more than possible that they all got here at the same time, and probably arrived on the same ship. However it's also possible that there was a staggered shipment. :D I think we should know for sure if I'm able to spot a pegged assortment with the Thing variant. As there should be some freshly brewed Red Hulks in these groups, and I can easily spot the difference between the hulks now....But really, we all know I'll probably just buy all the ones I find anyway. ;)

Posted Image

#90 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:18 PM

Ah shazbots! The Thing variant is already starting to hit stores in new wave 4 case assortments. ;) Hasbro doesn't want me to have any money to myself.

There are already wave 4 refresher cases shipping? Wow. Well one thing's for sure with this line, it'll keep ya shopping. :D

I kind of like the policy of keeping rereleases and variants coming out alongside AND in between the new characters. Keeps the pegs looking fresh and makes sure there's almost always an assortment of characters available for the kids and the impulse buyers. That's how you run a toyline. And with old figures shipping out consistently in refresher cases, i don't feel the gnawing pressure to keep up with these like i have with other lines in the past (coughMattelcough)...it's very relaxing.
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#91 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:40 PM

Yeah I know! It is nice to know Hasbro is giving everyone more than one opportunity to pick up what they need and want, and at the same time keeps us entertained between waves. I wonder if any other variations are in the refresher cases. The Hasbro team mentioned a Black Ronin in one of their Q&As. The standard Ronin is a charcoal kind of color.

But I love the White and Blue suited Human Torch, and the Thing looks great as well!

http://www.sirsteves...;postcount=1133

I can't wait to have a full FF roster, and so many Variation possibilities with them! Crossing my fingers for 3 Invisible Womans in her standard outfit, as well as some of her more risqué outfits from the late 80's and early 90's! :D

Posted Image

#92 mrjayberry

mrjayberry

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:52 PM

Speaking of the FF when are we getting a Dr. Doom figure do we know?

#93 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:58 PM

dr doom will be a priority for me. fingers crossed. i just hope they don't try and ruin him with a cloth cape. cloth costumes only work on 12" and larger figures.

Edited by dankingery, 17 July 2009 - 09:00 PM.

#94 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:28 PM

Doom really should be slotted for one of the Secret Wars 2 packs. :thanks: I don't see how he would get overlooked, he was the lead villain really. I'm looking forward to a possible complete wrecking crew from that series as well. But really, I can't wait to have them all. 24 slots and only half confirmed so far.

Posted Image

#95 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 04:56 AM

I could not possibly be more excited for the Secret Wars 2-packs. Seriously. I miss getting comics with my figures so much. I used to read all the completely random books that came with Legends, how much cooler is it gonna be to get the whole Secret Wars arc??

And the figures so far look amazing....they even bothered to sculpt the wings on Captain America's mask.

And they're $14.99 (at least on TRU's website). That's cheaper than two singles, with free comic!

So excited.

And Dan i wouldn't be worried about a cloth cape on Doom (hopefully). They seem to be sticking with plastic thus far.
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#96 Guest_SJCollector_*

Guest_SJCollector_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:30 PM

Howdy, These guys are great!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#97 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 02:01 PM

I'm....confused.
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#98 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 06:43 PM

AAAAH!!! Dagnabbit! :wallbash: I only have one Toys'R'Us in my whole entire areas of areas....And these things are starting to hit their shelves. Now I'll have fight every tom dick and harry to try to beat them to a set of them.

http://one-18th.com/....php?f=66&t=271

Posted Image

#99 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 18 July 2009 - 10:12 PM

i really like that shield set. i'll have to start looking below the pegs now too.

#100 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:41 AM

I'm not an army builder type, but I love the way that set looks as well, so I'm tempted, and still thinking, if I find more than one at my store if I'll buy them all. I just really like the DareDevil body type as well, so that Hydra soldier looks fantastic.

So what do you think these will cost? 24 bucks or something?

Posted Image

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com