• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts
  • Interests:Collecting MIMP and playing Fantasy Baseball.

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:29 PM

I was considering using some styrofoam to display my Monster in My Pocket hard plastic and rubber figures. Does anyone know of any chemical reactions or damage that would occur between styrofoam and these materials?

My MIMP Resource site: http://mimpcollective.weebly.com

Behemoth's Video Game and MIMP YouTube Page: https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

#2 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
  • Interests:Creepers, chompies, iszs, zombies, trashies, tikis, minions, mordles, murlocs, mushroomies, skeletons, ghosts, gremlins, goblins, gargoyles, demons, devils, dryads, plant mutants, bug mutants, fish mutants, creatures with one eye, creatures with more than two eyes, other monsters, muties, and meanies. Stormtroopers, Jawas, Toy Story aliens, Hulk, Groot, Gilman, Gormiti, Cthulhu, Swamp Thing, Toxie, Treebeard, Muckman.
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Beetlejuice and Ghostbusters minis!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:53 PM

You will probably not have any problems, though I would be a little concerned with ink leaching or paint transfer from your finished display rather than the foam itself. (Assuming that the figures are going to be left on the display all day, every day....for years, basically.)  I would try to work in small flat pieces of glass (microscope slides) wherever a figure would be standing.  This would give a level, smooth, and consistent standing surface, and no chance of reacting with paint or chemicals.  Small mirrors from craft stores might work even better.  These pictures are from FigureRealm.com.  I'm sure there are a lot of tips and ideas there.  Best of luck!

Attached Files

#3 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts
  • Interests:Collecting MIMP and playing Fantasy Baseball.

Posted 30 January 2015 - 12:05 AM

My current MIMP display is a Detolf shelf, but I wanted to use the styrofoam to keep my figures from repeatedly falling over (especially when I bump into things). Probably should have said that to begin with, but I made the post in a hurry. 

The displays in your picture are really cool. Mine are just simple glass shelves. Thanks for the ink advice too. 

Attached File  DSCN6421.JPG   122.33K   3 downloads

My MIMP Resource site: http://mimpcollective.weebly.com

Behemoth's Video Game and MIMP YouTube Page: https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

#4 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
  • Interests:Creepers, chompies, iszs, zombies, trashies, tikis, minions, mordles, murlocs, mushroomies, skeletons, ghosts, gremlins, goblins, gargoyles, demons, devils, dryads, plant mutants, bug mutants, fish mutants, creatures with one eye, creatures with more than two eyes, other monsters, muties, and meanies. Stormtroopers, Jawas, Toy Story aliens, Hulk, Groot, Gilman, Gormiti, Cthulhu, Swamp Thing, Toxie, Treebeard, Muckman.
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Beetlejuice and Ghostbusters minis!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:18 AM

Yeah, I have a couple Detolfs too.  If not Styrofoam, I think you could make a stairway/bleacher type of display with balsa wood strips.  They're at Michaels and Hobby Lobby for modest money.  You can also get these wooden cubes to use keep the spacing consistent as you build the steps higher and higher.

#5 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:10 AM

keep my figures from repeatedly falling over (especially when I bump into things). 

might consider using some of this Quakehold Musem Gel on the feet of the wobbly figures, I've been doing this with tiny strips of double sided tape for some of my figures that like to fall over. I haven't bought any of this stuff because I'm currently using wooden shelving for my displays and apparently it only works on metal/glass, but people seem to have good things to say about it, and it's allegedly safe, easy to remove, reusable, and doesn't transfer anything to the object it's stuck to. (hence the "museum gel" part)

link: http://www.amazon.co...=I1JOMQBICXGCWH

Edited by bachamn, 30 January 2015 - 07:11 AM.

#6 Sixthwizard

Sixthwizard

6thWizard

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1977 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:44 AM

Walmart has three tier shelves (like mine in my collection pics) for $7 each. They are perfect for Detolf's.

They are located in the kitchen isles with all the spice racks and shit like that

Edited by Sixthwizard, 30 January 2015 - 10:45 AM.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com