• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 15 July 2002 - 06:18 PM

So which do you think is the most disappointing action figure line? It's a tie among three for me:

1) GI-Joe Extreme- A line from the early '90s. The Joes had an abstract superhero feel and limited articulation that completely contrasted the coolness of the vintage figures.
2) Aliens: Hive Wars- A line that was originally cancelled, they brought it back as a KB Exclusive. The Kenner Aliens line was normally great, with interesting creatures and great play value. However, with this line's horrible sculpts, worse paint jobs, and virtually zero play value, they should have left it cancelled.
3) Transformers Armada - Transformers have made an incredible come-back. The recent toys not only look like models of cars, but transform into highly articulated robots. Contrast this with Transformers Armada, a new line that has Tonka-like vehicles that transform into pieces of crap that are supposed to be robots.

What do you think?

-Nathan

#2 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 15 July 2002 - 08:12 PM

Armada SUCKS Majorly! I bought Starscream and the 3 Mini Cons packs, because they are the only decent ones they made. Actually the Skateboard/Bike/Scooter mini cons suck hard, but they form a pretty decent gobot looking guy. Starscream is kewl. I will buy Laserbeak and maybe Prime, because his normal transformation mode is kind of cool. But every one else sucks. I can believe that TF released such shizznitty toys this time. RID was awesome. Armada is a waste.
for a detailed view of what I'm talking about, check out http://www.bwtf.com and see his Armada toy reviews.

#3 RubzOne

RubzOne

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 15 July 2002 - 10:20 PM

The Transformers Armada figures really suck. Not only do the colors and robot modes suck, but they made a tractor named Grimlock??? What the hell is going on here, it's like a bad dream... :D I have just turned to collecting PVC's, they are small and accurately portray the G1 characters, and they don't look crap in robot mode, like the old G1 toys do
Cry in the dojo... laugh on the battlefield

#4 theCrazyest

theCrazyest

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 12:44 PM

i'd have to add:

early Gatchaman
early wrestling figures (LJN)
all metal godzilla
reDone ShogunWarriors (with the nonFiring missiles!)

- theCrazyEst

..must have new KiNNiKuMaN Muscle Shot update for Andriod..
KiNNiKuLove 4 Life!

#5 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 19 July 2002 - 05:43 AM

reDone ShogunWarriors (with the nonFiring missiles!)

Where were these available? Do you mean there was an original American release of the Shogun line with safety restrictions?

-Nathan

#6 NamaNiku

NamaNiku

FKA: uoozuman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3207 posts
  • Interests:http://nama-niku.blogspot.com/

Posted 20 July 2002 - 03:37 PM

Lord of the Ring: both the old and new toys eat major arse.
G.I. Joe re-releases: poo-dog plastic, and shatty paint jobs. (they came out a few years ago)
He-man: the second generation or whatever it was called..... they came out right after the movie.
Posted Image

#7 theCrazyest

theCrazyest

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 01:20 PM

Hey Nate:

Yeah, originally you could get the Shogun Warrior figures with firing missles! Later they decided (due to an incident that i mentioned on another thread) to have saftey restricitions or no springs! :angry:

- theCrazyEst

..must have new KiNNiKuMaN Muscle Shot update for Andriod..
KiNNiKuLove 4 Life!

#8 DoctorKent

DoctorKent

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Interests:Rocks and Bugs and Things, Mordles, Robo Force, Glyos, Manglors

Posted 07 August 2002 - 06:11 AM

Most disappointing line...it would have to something from a movie. Memory is a little hazy, but I remember feeling really disappointed with a toyline from one of the major movies of the last ten years. Kenner crapped up a lot of them - RoboCop, Robin Hood, Bill and Ted, Waterworld. I would go with any line where a seven figure assortment is 6 variants of the main figure and the villian (one to a case, of course).
DoctorKent - the once and future master of ROCKS AND BUGS AND THINGS! now known as MORDLES.
Returning to your toy stories - 2013.
www.toyfinity.com

#9 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 12 August 2002 - 06:00 AM

Now that you mention movie lines, I seem to remember a Mission: Impossible toy line from a few years ago that was inexcusably horrible (I think it was only available at Spencers). There was NO attempt to make the sculpts actually look like the actors.

On that same note, the new 5" ET figures at Toys R Us are almost as bad. What's the deal with Elliot and the little girl?! I look at those and think, "Man, what kind of moron would spend all that money to develop these pieces of crap and expect them to sell?"

-Nathan

#10 Doctor Dew

Doctor Dew

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 12 August 2002 - 09:54 PM

in regards to toy lines from movies....

i agree that some of them may have been very bad and very lame, but were you really expecting a lot from them? see, i would never expect Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure or even the new ET figures to be all that great. i would have these low expectations, so i wouldn't say i'd be disappointed with the eventual mediocre figures.

but when a toy line, like the 3 and 3/4 GIJoes, is established and known as a great looking toy and then it gets re-released looking like crap, i am disappointed.

crappy looking non articulated toys make baby jesus cry.... B)

#11 DoctorKent

DoctorKent

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Interests:Rocks and Bugs and Things, Mordles, Robo Force, Glyos, Manglors

Posted 15 August 2002 - 08:11 AM

in regards to toy lines from movies....

i agree that some of them may have been very bad and very lame, but were you really expecting a lot from them? see, i would never expect Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

but when a toy line, like the 3 and 3/4 GIJoes, is established and known as a great looking toy and then it gets re-released looking like crap, i am disappointed.

crappy looking non articulated toys make baby jesus cry.... :lol:

Bill and Ted could have been awesome! Just kidding. I think that they reach too far - like Bill and Ted, or the Simpsons - what can you really do with them? Recreate the TV show? It's hard to recapture that brilliance.

Give the Joes some time - have you seen the upcoming releases? They are on a much better track than before - o-ring back, some new articulation...

AND THANKS to TORTLE! Mission Impossible was one of the WORST EVER. How many of you knew that they actually had a second series of them? SHUDDER. All six were tom cruise, in the exact same molds ( i think, tried to block out memory)....one of the masks he was supposed to wear as a super spy was METALLIC SILVER. What a mess.
DoctorKent - the once and future master of ROCKS AND BUGS AND THINGS! now known as MORDLES.
Returning to your toy stories - 2013.
www.toyfinity.com

#12 Doctor Dew

Doctor Dew

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 10:10 PM

hmm... new and better o-ring Joes???
okay okay i am interested. do you have any links handy with pics of the new upcoming joes?? i really wanted to like the new joes and collect them, but i just couldn't do it...................

teach me to love again... :wub:

#13 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts
  • Interests:Muscle men, and Kinnikuman

Posted 19 August 2002 - 02:27 PM

Kind of off the subject, it seems that most of our interests are similar so I assume you guys watch "South Park". I also assume many of you have seen the Chinpokemon episode. So with that said, who thought that "Alabama man" looked funny as crap, and the commercial they made for him was even funnier. By the way, I want shoe.

#14 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 10 September 2002 - 07:54 AM

Here's to rejuvinating old topics...

Anyway, I thought I'd post a link to a Mission: Impossible figure auction. Oh man, how horrible these things were! It looks like it was made in the 70s, but it really was produced just a few years ago!

http://cgi.ebay.com/...item=1766436160

-Nathan

#15 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 10 September 2002 - 07:56 AM

Anyway, I thought I'd post a link to a Mission: Impossible figure auction.

Mego has returned......AAAAARRRRGHHHH!!!!!!!!

#16 arforbes

arforbes

I lied, I cheated, I got banned!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6788 posts

Posted 10 September 2002 - 08:57 AM

Good Lord! That's horrible looking! :rolleyes:

B)
AKA Yapiel, AKA balucard
I was banned! Read ALL about it! http://www.littlerub...showtopic=23333

#1 on the LRG Dishonest Members list!

#17 Adamantiumwulf

Adamantiumwulf

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1900 posts
  • Interests:Sega Master System and Segas other Consoles and games., Legos
    Transformers
    Baseball cards
    various action figures

Posted 10 September 2002 - 09:38 AM

Quick somebody knock 'is head off. Man thats a cheesy smile.
"I've always believed that a lot of the trouble in the world would disappear if we were talking to each other instead of about each other." Ronald Regan - April 11, 1984

#18 EVOM

EVOM

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 10 September 2002 - 01:01 PM

I completely agree with Doctor Kent on this one!!!!!!! What a bunch of suck arse eye sores those lines were!!! At least the Ed209 figure was ok at best, but the rest of the robocop line sucked! Robin hood was just a travesty, and as for the waterworld line........Give me a flamethrower and we`ll see if water beats fire!!!!!!!! But the sickest thing of all is that I was looking forward to the teenage mutant ninja panzy line when it came out, talk about a dissapointment, the weapons were loose and they were very cheap in general. May playmates burn in HECK!!!!!!

#19 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 10 September 2002 - 02:20 PM

But the sickest thing of all is that I was looking forward to the teenage mutant ninja panzy line when it came out, talk about a dissapointment, the weapons were loose and they were very cheap in general. May playmates burn in HECK!!!!!!

I don't know, I liked the Turtles figures. They had alot of play value. Kewl sculpts, decent articulation. And they stood by themselves. But the weapons were pretty lame, being one solid color and all.

#20 arforbes

arforbes

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6788 posts

Posted 10 September 2002 - 02:29 PM

Hey, M.U.S.C.L.E.'s are one solid color! :rolleyes:

B)
AKA Yapiel, AKA balucard

#21 EVOM

EVOM

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 10 September 2002 - 02:39 PM

I just don`t like the way playmates made them. One of my friends had the terrordrome, it was junk!!!!!! Hardly any of the accesories stayed on it. Talk about a dissapointment! On the other hand M.U.S.C.L.E.s have never dissapointed!!!!!!!

#22 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 10 September 2002 - 02:39 PM

Hey, M.U.S.C.L.E.'s are one solid color! :rolleyes:

B)

M.U.S.C.L.E.s have absolutely ZERO articulation also, but they had more play value than GI Joe.

M.U.S.C.L.E.s DEFY all rules about fun toys!

Chew on THAT!

#23 arforbes

arforbes

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6788 posts

Posted 10 September 2002 - 02:49 PM

Hey, M.U.S.C.L.E.'s are one solid color!   :rolleyes:

B)

M.U.S.C.L.E.s have absolutely ZERO articulation also, but they had more play value than GI Joe.

M.U.S.C.L.E.s DEFY all rules about fun toys!

Chew on THAT!

I always thought the same thing! M.U.S.C.L.E.'s Rule!!! B)

B)
AKA Yapiel, AKA balucard

#24 el midgetron

el midgetron

Squirrel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 10 September 2002 - 10:32 PM

[quote name='jkaris' date='Sep 10 2002, 07:56 AM'][quote name='Tortle' date='Sep 10 2002, 08:54 AM']
Mego has returned......AAAAARRRRGHHHH!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]
First off, dont knock MEGO. As cheezy as they are today. they were the shet back in the day. You young-uns may not remember the pre-3 3/4 days in action figures. Belive me 25 years from now, the figures you think kick ars now will be sorry relics. Mego figures rock.
As far as figures lines I think suck, How about My Pretty Pony. I mean that shet sucked. Those half-ased hourses didnt even have pooping action.
Posted Image

#25 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 07:45 AM

Belive me 25 years from now, the figures you think kick ars now will be sorry relics.

Haha, 25 years from now, we'll have "clone" action figures. Life sized, REAL toys. Or something. Morphing figures. Download the morph hacks from the "net, instead of downloading them from ToysRUs which will be owned by Gates by then, as well as the rest of the US. Hell, with morhing life sized clones, who'll need a girlfriend? B)

Mego may have been the shizznit back then, grading on the curve, but they still sucked.

You are correct, My Little Pony sucked, when it came out, and today.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com