• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#101 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

just getting into knife making.

blade of the immortal is my master.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 12 December 2008 - 03:12 PM

i'm about to begin my plasma dragon precursor collection. sets like tower bridge and dragonstone battlefield. who knows, maybe one day i'll finally find a series 2 scauld so my collection will be complete.

if i encounter the demons in hell, i will kill them all..

vi veri veniversum vivus vici.

#102 Airot

Airot

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In no particular order, these are the things I collect;
    Monster in my Pocket (Both original the modern)
    Gamoja
    Fistful of Power
    Monster Connectors
    Gormiti
    Boglins
    Plasma Creatures
    Dinosaurs
    Mighty Max
    HorrorClix

Posted 13 December 2008 - 06:41 PM

Too late :unsure:

I got Gyro!

THE WORLD WILL BE MINE!
I'll give you this strawberry if you keep it a secret.

#103 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:42 PM

here's a pic of fyrebrand.
Attached File  IMG_0202.JPG   34.07K   17 downloads
he came in the dragonstone battlefield playset. he's basically crymson just a different color. the sculpt plastic is a nice dark red. blood red if you will. his claws are silver and his eyes are yellow. other than that, he's been highlighted with a sloppy "drybrush" of black. he doesn't come with an egg or plasma for that matter. my only real gripe about him is that his wings are too flat and they cover up his face for the most part. that's why i left them out of the picture. i'll have to heat them up and reshape them. the other figures that came with the playset are a few of the regular dragons knights sculpts and the war monster that is suppose to be fighting fyrebrand, beastcleif. beastcleif has a head similar to an ork from games workshop's warhammer miniatures line. the rest is a total train wreck. easily one of the lamest toy designs i've ever seen. he'd probably be cool if they kept the head and put a little more effort into designing his body to make it have the same level of detail the dragons do. as it is, there's lame fisher price kiddy toys that are on the same level.

#104 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:14 PM

Just to make Dan drool - Series 9 Dragons.

I promise more details later. :notme:

#105 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:47 PM

bastitch!!!

where where where where where where where where????????

#106 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:01 PM

My local Kmart of all places.

But there is good news, and bad news.

The bad news is that I originally saw them on Wednesday, but failed to purchase any of them (that day, I decided to favor a Godzilla 2000 figure with a trip home instead). I went back to rectify that error today, and what did I see? Nothing but the same old shelfwarming dragons and zombies that were there before. Every Series 9 Dragon, maybe two each, was gone.

The good news is that I paid very, very close attention to the dragons while they were there. Except for egg color. I can't remember whether they were opaque or clear. I'm thinking opaque, because.....

Series 9 introduces a new gimmick - Colorswitch! Due to the multilingual packaging, no details are given on the outside. The paper insert probably explains it all. Apparently, the figures in Series 9 have random, alternate versions that feature the Colorswitch gimmick, giving incentive to hunt down extras of each one, regardless of your undead dragon army needs. What Colorswitch IS, remains a mystery until I'm able to find and buy one again. I'm assuming something simple as reversed-color schemes or a color-changing gimmick. Dunno!

I definitely blew it by not getting one, but you can't totally blame me for this one. Have you SEEN how awesome the Bandai Creation Godzilla 2000 is?

#107 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:03 PM

that's tremendous news. there's a kmart in route from work to home i'll have to hit it up tomorrow. they were the same kmart that i first spotted series 8 dinos in. i'm excited. thanks for the info.

#108 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:53 PM

Guess what I spotted again? :)

This time, there was only one each, and only Wizenbeard and Clawdigger. This isn't the first time this sort of thing's happened at Kmart, where something goes out of stock only to reappear on the shelf. Of course, I wasn't complaining in this case! I didn't go all out, and just picked up Clawdigger (another mistake?).

First of all, yes, the four Dragons that were shown off at the same time as the four new Plasma Dinosaurs are definitely spun off into their own series, 9. Also, Series 9 figures have unpainted opaque eggs just like Series 8. Clawdigger comes in a sweet black egg with an orange placenta, unlike the lime green one on the packaging.

I won't keep you in suspense anymore. Colorswitch time!

We have hidden COLORSWITCH dragons in certain packages. Dip your dragon in cold water to see if it changes color!*

*Not all dragons will change color.

The art depicting Colorswitch is Clawdigger's art with the part of it that's been wet turning stone gray. Stone by day, warrior at night? Wrong franchise... I haven't tested mine yet, as my toys and water don't usually mix. I'm not counting on it.

Clawdigger himself is quite cool. I like that he has a smaller head and with less frills than Trylobite, because it means he's more poseable at the neck. Otherwise there's nothing particularly special to find here, just a decent green dragon. Well, decent EVIL green dragon, he works for the Vorgans. My only gripe is that the neck peg is just too long. It could have maintained the same range of movement without being as long as it is. Still, he's expressive and about as fun as most Plasma Dragons can be, and certainly there are worse ways to spend $5. I'll probably buy another Series 9 guy, and maybe finally take the Thunderoar that's been there forever while I'm at it.

I still wish I'd gotten Crawbelllow when he was around. :D

#109 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:45 PM

ebay is lousy with crawbellows. if you can't find a good price there, i'll see if i can find another around here. shouldn't be more than $5 or $6.

in fact, there's this listing on ebay that has not only a crawbellow but also crymson and boulder, two of the coolest dragons there are. check the buy it now price. pretty decent. besides, the kid is selling toys to raise enough money for a snake. you gotta love that good cause. :)

as for the colorswitch gimmick. i don't think i'm going to go out of my way to get one of each. i would hope i get a sawskreech with color switch, but if i don't it's not the end of the world.

#110 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:12 PM

got skunked at kmart when i was looking for series 9s. but they did have a new mega bloks product that even mega bloks doesn't have on their website. at least i didn't find it. but their site sucks and they could have the secret map to king solomon's mines and no one would know about it. anyway, they had from the king arthur line a new set of dragon toys called merlin's dragons. found some on toys r us' website for photo reference. the packaging is pretty kick ass. there's a clear sphere that contains the dragon and the sphere is being held by a dragon claw with a dragon ring on one of the "fingers". they're pretty cool and i may pick all four of them up if i can't find any series 9s. since they're from the king arthur line they all feature hidden actions. two seem to launch a projectile from their mouths (breath weapon?), while the other two have flapping wings or something. there's a red, a blue, a gold and a silver. the packaging is really going to sucker quite a few kids into buying these. it really is pretty cool. hopefully the toys themselves don't suck.

#111 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:25 PM

Thanks for the links and advice, Dan. I will probably hunt down a Crawbellow later, but not right now. Definitely not that loose one, because I wouldn't go for an incomplete figure like that. Egg and plasma are a must! Oh, and the asshattery with that seller over a Schleich marine reptile.

I did see the Merlin's Dragons somewhere online. Not in person though. How big are they? I'm guessing they're like the size of the old big Plasma Dragons but have no scale reference.

EDIT: Only Crawbellow on eBay now is going for $18, eww. But I did find the first TRU exclusive set, the one that includes Morin!

http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=400023709481

Edited by Boaconda, 13 March 2009 - 09:31 PM.

#112 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:01 AM

the merlin's dragons are about 1.5 times the size of a plasma dragon. basically they're slightly longer than a plasma in the body. really the only turn off is the slightly longer body. think of an asian dragon with a long serpent like body, only not as exaggerated. the sphere they come in is roughly the size of a softball.

#113 SpyMagician

SpyMagician

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:16 PM

Hey Guys,

If you are still hunting for Series 9 Dragons you should perhaps add Rite-Aid to your travels.

I've been able to find 3 of the 4 (only missing Sawskreetch) at Rite-Aids around Los Angeles.

None of mine have been colorswitch and the wings are VERY warped as they are larger than past dragons so get bent pretty bad in the eggs. But it's nothing some heating won't fix!

I've also seen Merlin's Dragons showing up pretty consistently now at TRU, Wal-Mart and K-Mart, though I find the 2 with the missle launchers in the mouth to be less appealing, especially at the price they're going for ($12+)

Spy

#114 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:26 PM

Already tried Rite Aid locally - nothing but the old wave of Plasma Dinosaurs.

Haven't seen the Merlin's Dragons anywhere, but no big deal there.

Edited by Boaconda, 18 March 2009 - 12:27 PM.

#115 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:12 PM

i'll give rite-aid a shot tomorrow. but my hopes aren't up that i'll find anything worthwhile. i think the store manager is clueless when it comes to toys. they've still got old spawn toys, i mean like early series, and not much in terms of new good toys.

tried the smith's marketplace/kroger close to home here for mega bloks goodies and they had around ten thousand merlin's dragons and some series 8 dinos. the more i examine the merlin's in the store the less interested i am. the silver and blue dragons are the less appealing for sure. because of the launcher mechanism in their heads, they look bloated and lame. the shiny packaging and lack of series 9 dragons got me all horny for these new dragons that are ultimately not that great.

shopko is about out of anything near my house. looks like they've dropped mega blocks entirely. they had one really old spiderman helicopter set and two of the extreme sports skateboarder sets and that's it. they used to have an entire aisle and now they've only got three small items. looks like they're either about to go out of business or they're eliminating their toy section all together.

#116 Ookla

Ookla

Budding Collector

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:30 AM

yeah. most stores don't keep track of their toys sections very closely. mostly because stupid little kids tear them down week after week. it's prolly all the employees can do not to go on murderous rampages and throwing bowling balls down the aisles at unsuspecting ne'er do wells. i'm glad i look like a murderer, that way they don't talk to me or make eye contact. the thing that drives me nuts is when i've got to dismember their entire aisle just to find the very last dragon that's stuck behind the bionicles or magnetix.

I have about 20 of these guys, ranging from monsters to dinos to robots to dragons. (Along with about 80% of their plastic cases and weird rubbery mesh sacks :lol: )

Coincedently, they are also up for trade! :lol:

O

#117 Little Bubba

Little Bubba

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 05:57 PM

Hi, my name is Xavier and I'm 6 years old. I'm crazy for plasma dragons, which I've named mutants because I spend my time mixing up the body parts. I have 30 dragons and dinosaurs, and I've forced my mommy to spend all her spare time the last two years helping me collect them all. We can't find a complete list anywhere. Did you finish your website list you were creating, Airot? I think I'm only missing Fernbogg, Talonlock, Tempyst, Stormer, Boulder, Vile, Tailtorn and Sether but we need a list to know for sure. I had to get rid of Zombie because he was too scary!

We live in Alberta, Canada and we have had exactly the same difficulties and excitement here trying to find new guys. I had so much fun reading about all your adventures buying mutants. I have the latest dinos and dragons. Has anyone heard of any new series coming out? It's been 3 months since I've had a new guy. I'm having trouble convincing my parents to buy them online for me! I need a job.

Do you guys ever mix and match the body parts? I love sawscreeth's head, trylobite's body, tailsmash's tail, crawbellow's legs and terrorsweep's wings together. Here's a picture of him.

X
(as dictated to Mommy)

Attached Files

Edited by Little Bubba, 26 April 2009 - 06:26 PM.

#118 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:27 PM

welcome to the board xavier. you're very well spoken for a 6 year old. :o airot's website is fairly complete. i think she may be missing the series nine dragons, but it sounds like you may already have them if you've got sawskreetch. it sounds like you're missing most of series one. they're pretty hard to come by now days. you can pick them up easily online, but the prices most people sell them for are sky high. every now and then you can find them at a reasonable price of around $5 each. you just have to be patient. i know it's hard to do when you're six. i can't imagine being patient at all when i was that age. heck, i'm impatient now at 30. :wacko: a suggestion on finding older toys like the series 1 dragons, check out shops that have toys that people wouldn't expect to find toys at. drug stores, some grocery stores, small discount stores. you never know what hidden treasures you may find. the hunt can be quite fun too. i wish you good luck and once again, welcome to the board.

#119 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:28 PM

Aw man, i have a nephew that age named Xavier. Thought he'd hunted me down online for a minute. :wacko:

Dan, Boa, anyone, they've never released or announced intentions to release any more Plasma Kreaps, amirite? The Dragons are about the only thing i see anymore, disappointing since they were my least favorite.
Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#120 Little Bubba

Little Bubba

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:46 AM

Thanks for replying so fast. I woke up this morning and rushed to the laptop to see if anyone posted! Can I see Airot's website anywhere? Here is my list if that helps. I was only able to create it using the direction sheets that come with each guy. We started the list because I've had to go on the mega blocks website to request replacement parts when the knobs break off. They replace them for free.

Scumdogg, does your nephew like little rubber guys? I would love to have a friend my age to talk to about collecting and playing with dragons, dinos, bionicles, etc. For Christmas, my mom ordered me some pre-cambrian rubber guys...an andrewsarchus, a triarthrus, pleurocystites, hallucigenia...we even raised a bunch of triops. All that's missing is a friend or two to share my obsessions with.

X

Attached Files

#121 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:05 AM

Scumdogg, does your nephew like little rubber guys? I would love to have a friend my age to talk to about collecting and playing with dragons, dinos, bionicles, etc. For Christmas, my mom ordered me some pre-cambrian rubber guys...an andrewsarchus, a triarthrus, pleurocystites, hallucigenia...we even raised a bunch of triops. All that's missing is a friend or two to share my obsessions with.

X

He collects super hero toys (he was named after Professor X, after all :lol:), his favorites are Batman, the Flash, Spider-Man, and Wolverine. I always let him take home extras out of my collection on the condition that he can tell me what character it is on the spot and with no help. The boy does his research. Unfortunately he doesn't live very close to me and i don't get to see him often enough, but it sounds like the two of you would get along spectacularly. :)
Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#122 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:30 PM

Dan, Boa, anyone, they've never released or announced intentions to release any more Plasma Kreaps, amirite? The Dragons are about the only thing i see anymore, disappointing since they were my least favorite.

Nope, the only recent sets are the four Series 8 dinosaurs and four Series 9 dragons. IF the Kreaps ever come back, and that's a big if, I imagine it won't be until closer to the fall.

Xavier, this is Airot's Plasma website. It's not 100% complete, but is great if you're looking for information on the older sets. And welcome to the boards!

http://www.freewebs....ters/plasma.htm

#123 Little Bubba

Little Bubba

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:35 PM

Thank you Airot for creating your plasma website!

#124 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:29 PM

Aw man, i have a nephew that age named Xavier. Thought he'd hunted me down online for a minute. :lol:

i think boa's right. IF they ever do another series of the kreaps it prolly won't be until around halloween time. but there's still kreaps on the shelves around here. they clearly weren't the top sellers. i suspect that mega bloks is going to steer clear of kreaps and tech. they didn't sell as well as the dinos and dragons. the biggest problem with the kreaps line were the sculpts. the ghoul, zombie & mummy were mighty nifty, but the other three were pretty sub-par. also, with a company that's deathly afraid to move out of the main stream, what other monsters could they do for a second kreaps series? other than the creature from the black lagoon and a frankenstein's monster iteration i'm drawing a blank on classic monsters (don't say bride of the monster either, she doesn't count). :p

xavier: have you seen the king arthur figures from mega bloks? they just released four new dragons called merlin's dragons. they're similar to the plasma dragons but they each have an action feature. i personally don't like them as much as the plasma dragons, but they may be something you'd find fun. with summer coming up, you'll have lots of time for chores to earn more toys. :huh:

#125 Little Bubba

Little Bubba

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 01:20 PM

Yes, I have two of Merlin's dragons: icewynd and aurelidor. I like them because their body parts come apart, but their heads don't! I don't like them as much as the plasma guys for sure. When I need a quick fix, I beg for bionicles. I just used my tooth fairy money to buy Zesk, he looks like a scorpion. I'm homeschooled so I can do chores all year to buy stuff! (mommy would like to see that happen)

X

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com