Theme© by Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

What's REALLY behind the charm of these pink guys?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Wraith

Wraith

alive and kickin'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts

Posted 16 October 2002 - 02:44 PM

what makes them so... what's the word, completely amazing and fun?

i think it is their simplicity, little inarticulated monocolor rubber men, allowing you to unleash your imagination and creat elaborate tales. (and maybe this is why some of us dislike the non-pink ones, too... hmmm.. i can't seem to think of the word, but... the color just seems to add a little too much to the simplistic beauty of the little guys) the second reason they are so great is the nostalgia (i myself do not really experience this since they came out before i was born, but can experience it in some degree as i do remember them, albiet only slightly) overall, there is nothing so special about them, the real appeal is that they are toys that make you think. you can't play with them with a set storyline, you had to forge it yourself, you had to make your own accessories. you had to give them their names. this is why they feel so special and unique to each musclehead, because they ARE unique to every person who has ever picked them up, dropped their insecurities about toys, or the pink color, or what have you, and found their own creativity. or maybe they just kick arse.
......Posted Image....................................................
Petition to Get Generation 1 to USA
What I'm selling on Ebay

#2 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 16 October 2002 - 06:52 PM

For me, it's mainly the nostalgia. When I was a kid I sat and played for HOURS with these guys. Built tinfoil bel;ts, made them wrestle, had tag team matches, etc. etc. Everything was made up, it was ALL imagination. And being that they didn't come with a story line, you had to use your imagination to the utmost! They were just FUN! They are so detailed and different. There was always a favorite for everyone. Personally I HATE non articulated, non painted toys, but MUSCLE was different. I don't exactly know why, but they would rank in my book as one of the top 5 toys ever created, along with Star Wars, Transformers and GI Joe! I remember the feeling I felt when I got my first MUSCLE's from eBay, OH MY GOD the NOSTALGIA and the flood of memories it brought back. I had found Nate's and Darrin's sites already, but I hadn't found the checklist yet, so I didn't remember all of them until I opened up the package with about 80 or so in it! Oh my GOD! I was in heaven. It was better than getting my G1 Soundwave or my G1 2000 reissue New Years Optimus Prime.
Call me crazy, call me wierd, but they just have a special place in my heart!

-Johnny

#3 EASports

EASports

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 October 2002 - 06:59 PM

Call me crazy, call me wierd, but they just have a special place in my heart!

Johnny, you are crazy and weird! :)
"Let's go home"
"We are home"
"That was fast"

#4 arforbes

arforbes

I lied, I cheated, I got banned!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6788 posts

Posted 16 October 2002 - 09:18 PM

I have always loved the Fleshies of course the most, because they are the originals, but I love the Coloreds almost the same, if not as much as the Fleshies. There's something about the beautiful pretty colors that makes me want more and more. :)

-_-
AKA Yapiel, AKA balucard
I was banned! Read ALL about it! http://www.littlerub...showtopic=23333

#1 on the LRG Dishonest Members list!

#5 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 17 October 2002 - 06:06 AM

Their appeal for me is based on a few aspects:

1) MUSCLEs are interesting creatures and monsters. In the commercials, I distinctly remember them being called "MUSCLE Things", which seemed appropriate because they were seemlingly random creatures. I'm a big-time monster fan, the more abstract-looking monster the better, and many MUSCLEs fit that bill quite nicely.

2) As a kid, there was no storyline associated with them, so I could make up plotlines as I wanted. And you're right, Wraith... the pink color added to their ambiguity, and made them much more fun.

3) There are hundreds of them to collect, and they are (or, were) relatively inexpensive, so collecting them all was alot of fun when I started again some years ago.

-Nathan

#6 pasvagrsvj

pasvagrsvj

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 17 October 2002 - 08:09 AM

I was 9 or 10 when they came out. I saw a kid at my daycare center whip out a clear trashcan full of some pink stuff. He proceeded to dump out a pile of little pink men. Several kids were standing around him within seconds. It was the first time any of us had seen them. When I was a kid, I was a COLLECTOR; if there was something in a series I had to have them all, or at least, more than any of my friends. Colored muscles are my least favorite, as I was almost on my way out of the hobby when they came into production. My poster was all pink and I had no colors in my collection. I think Muscle's were the great granddaddy of Pokemon.

#7 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts
  • Interests:Muscle men, and Kinnikuman

Posted 17 October 2002 - 09:05 AM

I was about 8 I think when I recieved my first Muscles. I think for me it was the fact they were cool little wrestlers, I knew nothing about them except I loved them. I would lock myself in my room and play with them for hours at a time. Do you guys remember when they first came out (only in pink) that on the commercial they would say how these muscle things were taking over the world and in a panic some old dude would yell "and their pink!!!" I specifically remember that for some reason, I thought it was cool.

#8 musclemenkids

musclemenkids

Stompin' on your face!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1598 posts

Posted 17 October 2002 - 02:59 PM

i was about 7 or 8 when my mother bought me a trash can of muscles. when i opened it for a split second i felt how God must have felt when he came home from work one day and found little people standing around on his planet. i got the claw in my first lot and ive never looked back (but i always, ALWAYS look both ways before crossing the street.)
"FRUIT OOZE IS WETLY LEWD SO
STAY DRY IN RUBBER BOOTS AND.."

#9 Kendaman

Kendaman

Kendaman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 02:43 PM

I've simply alway's loved 'em. can't say why {execpt mabye the plastic fumes going to my head}. :)
KEN-DA-MAN!! KEN-DA-MAN!! KEN-DA-MAN!!

#10 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2002 - 03:19 PM

I think that the reasons we all like them are going to be very similar. They forced us to use our imagination, they were cheap, there were tons of them, and our friends had them so we could trade them. At least those are the core reasons, and probably the core reasons for many people.

But for me there are a few specific memories I have of M.U.S.C.L.E’s, that has earned them a space in my collecting heart.

1.) Karl Herman’s birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese’s (it was probably 1st grade). My mom bought him a 28 pack, probably because they were pretty cheap and looked like a good gift. When I saw that box I nearly cried because I had to give it away. Soon after that party I got my first 10 pack.
2.) Chris Farmer. The first time I went to his house I nearly feel over. He had tons of them. Finally I had someone to trade with, and talk about them. We would sit for hours and talk about why we liked one figure, and not another one. Then we would talk about why we should trade each figure for another. One trade could take an hour. These trades always had to be one for one, and have given “proper” discussion.
3.) The wrestling matches. My grandfather made me a wooden wrestling ring, with yarn ropes. That is where almost every match in my bedroom took place. #1 was usually the champ, he was sort of my Hulk Hogan. Plus I thought it looked like he was wearing a Championship belt. But I specifically remember the time #60 won the belt with his deadly head-butt. He soon lost the title to #219, with his super-punch.

M.U.S.C.L.E may not have been my absolute all time favorite toy, but it will always hold a special place.

#11 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts
  • Interests:Muscle men, and Kinnikuman

Posted 22 October 2002 - 03:39 PM

special place.

Dude, your avatar scares me.

#12 Wraith

Wraith

alive and kickin'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 04:04 PM

BWAHAHAHAHA
What I'm selling on Ebay

#13 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2002 - 10:27 AM

2 things…

1.) My avatar is General Veers from Star Wars – Episode 5 – The Empire Strikes Back.
2.) Let’s stay on topic, I want to hear some other people’s stories about Muscle’s

#14 GRANDTHEFT

GRANDTHEFT

a.k.a. MISCHA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts

Posted 23 October 2002 - 08:35 PM

Heya Guy's
i love all your reason's , and mine are the same.
the first time i saw muscles was at school, kids were trading them with each other and for small amounts of money i remember buying 2 for 5cents
:) wish i could do that today.
They were everywhere i mean everywere.
when we reached about 16 flesh
my brother and i then bought a colored can and traded for another few so then the so called teams were about the same and as quickly and they arrived they disappeared again leaving us with our muscles and imaginations.
Also we loved wwf wrestling , i loved to make items and the muscles were a perfect toy to make things for and wrestle them for superiority.
They were my special toy and i took extra care of them , i never expected to see any more of them ever again even though i had found a few in strange places i was resigned to the fact i was the only person left in the entire world that played or even had muscles.
You could just imagine my shock when i found all you crazy B.ASTARDS
You guy's are now my best mates
this is the best hobby in the world ,i now share it with my son and i think he's so much luckier than other kids to be able to play with these toys.

mischa
There is a very fine line between
"Hobby" & "Mental illness"
................................................................................
I just want what every Muscle collector want's , MORE!
................................................................................

#15 Wraith

Wraith

alive and kickin'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts

Posted 23 October 2002 - 09:31 PM

i like you too mischa :)

BIG HUG!
What I'm selling on Ebay

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com