1034 replies to this topic

#976 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1853 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:31 PM

And not trying to export it.

Well the exporting story is seriously a bridge to far to discuss IMHO since we are not really representative for the traget group they're planning to hit internationally. The Beast Saga might be a hot issue for some of us but in the end its only a dozen of us out there who will not make any difference. Let's not forget people like Saleen and a few others have tried to get figs into the US or Europe and I'm sure eventhough this was not the intention to do so Takara was aware of that as well but than again as long as its not a succes in Japan there is not even the need for it to even consider the export part since it might have cost them already way to much.

Actually do to this reply from Undrave I've been thinking why Takara actually launched this line to start with because if we're all honest of course the vintage Battle Beasts were the ancestors of the huge succes formula Pokemon a line which is already owned by Takara and I'm not sure if its a saying that goes for the US or English speaking collectors but overhere we tend to say the King was killed by its own success or something like that. In other words the idea of the Battle Beasts was transformed into the Pokemon line in such a great way it would've never even be possible for a new BB like line to become succesfull again. How many years is Pokemon going and what insane amount of Pokemons are known................... looking at that its almost hard to believe Tomy Takara even invested and or allowed such a line to launch knowing similar wannabe Pokemon lines (Digimon, Yu Gi Yo) weren't a succes either over the years. So if you consider this, at least that's how I feel and think about it now, they most have had some serious balls at Takara to start with the Beast Saga line and it might even have been a defencive move as a reaction towards the release of the Battle Beasts launched by Diamond Toys maybe I'm wrong here but if you look at the facts and know there was not a lot to win for Takara outside the fact that their old Battle Beasts name was going to get 'misused' and they felt like they had to make a move to cause some disctraction. Looking at the release dates and the moment in time eventhough one was launched in Japan and the other in the US its at least a little strange why it all happened exactly now after so many years. Of course Tomy Takara is fully aware of what's going on in the Toy industry in the US especially when it comes to a line 'misusing' their original name. Maybe they had the same idea like most of us and they weren't happy about the direction Diamond Toys was going and they wanted to make a statement showing how to launch or at least design the BB of the 21st century. In the end it looks like both lines are slowly dying but maybe that was the intention of Tomy Takara to start with or at least to defeat the Diamond Toys line. And if you look at that they actually did pretty well IMHO looking at only the attention the Beast Saga line got out here in comparisson to the Battle Beasts from Diamond Select Toys who received a lot of comment. Let's not forget the Japanese are very proud people and Tomy Takara is part of that culture so why couldn't the whole Beast Saga line just have been their way to respond and protect the original Battle Beasts line eventhought they had sold the rights..... because from the begining they should have known even with the biggest sale succes they would never beat their succes of Pokemon.

Some matter to think about for the weekend I think........

Thnx for that short but powerfull post Undrave because this reply is what it cause in my head LOL

Wonder about your thoughts looking at this ''conspiracy theory''  ;)  

Edited by GJNL, 16 November 2013 - 01:35 PM.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#977 glass67

glass67

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E., Battle Beasts, Beast Saga, Smashing Pumpkins, The Cure, Pink Floyd, the Pacific Ocean, the 80's!

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:43 PM

I really can't get on board with the idea of takara making these just to prove a point. Financially that wouldn't make much sense in my opinion. And if they weren't picked up outside of Japan then that doesn't necessarily mean its takara's fault. Perhaps they solicited the product to companies in America that are virtually unwilling to green light something that doesn't already have other media tie-ins to help sell the product. Or maybe they patiently waited by the phone for a call that never came. There could be any number of things that happened.
As far as the minimates are concerned, that line was dead on arrival. No slow death there.
But again, this is all just speculation and opinion, which unfortunately is all we have at this point.

#978 lord

lord

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 931 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:44 AM

I'm sorry for all Beast Saga fans (like me) but I have some bad news. I have just received the Takara catalog from last summer Tokyo toy show and there is no more a BS section in it. I guess this means that the items scheduled for the end of the year have been cancelled as this catalog is about the Spetember to December 2013 releases.

#979 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:15 PM

Well that's just piss.

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#980 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:58 AM

I'm sorry for all Beast Saga fans (like me) but I have some bad news. I have just received the Takara catalog from last summer Tokyo toy show and there is no more a BS section in it. I guess this means that the items scheduled for the end of the year have been cancelled as this catalog is about the Spetember to December 2013 releases.

Sadly, after reading last week that Season 2 was going to be an OVA release I'd kind of resigned to the fact that there would be no more figures. Strange that the collector's case and last zip machine won't be released after already having product pages on Amazon but the catalog does seem like a pretty decent proof for lack of other comment from Takara. 

#981 Louk

Louk

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:59 PM

Well, I'm not going to say it was a surprise, but it's defiantly a disappointment.

Still, I'm happy that the line existed at all.  No disrespect to DST, but this was the revival of Battle Beasts that I wanted in my life.  The same mechanical aesthetic, the same style of figures.  I am very happy with the 39 new battle beast molds we did receive, the 27 recasts of those figures, the 4 vehicles and 2 bases.  All in all a strong addition to a Battle Beasts collection and nice little line in it's own right.  Sad that it didn't go longer, but cannot complain to much.

#982 JonnyPac

JonnyPac

The beast collector in the boonies...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1110 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:16 PM

PISSS indeed! 

#983 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1853 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:59 AM

Was looking over my Beast Saga picture archive and noticed that ALL figures that were initially shown during the first announcement of the Beast Saga line during the Tokyo Toy Show in 2012 have been released except the Salmon figure from the Sea tribe.

There is still no official announcement/statement known from TomyTakara related to the future or the end of the line...

So far it looks like all of the sculpts they had so far were already made/done before the Tokyo Toy Show so things might have gone wrong already way before we could've expected.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#984 Louk

Louk

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:44 AM

Was looking over my Beast Saga picture archive and noticed that ALL figures that were initially shown during the first announcement of the Beast Saga line during the Tokyo Toy Show in 2012 have been released except the Salmon figure from the Sea tribe.

There is still no official announcement/statement known from TomyTakara related to the future or the end of the line...

So far it looks like all of the sculpts they had so far were already made/done before the Tokyo Toy Show so things might have gone wrong already way before we could've expected.

The Zebra, Fox, General Hawk, and the Salmon were all shown at the original announcement during the Tokyo Toy Show.  I'm pretty the pictures are in this thread still, but I don't know if I can find them.

#985 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:46 AM

yeah I know that the splash image on the Beast Saga website also shows the fox and salmon, and the mandrill was in some promo photo as well. Saddest of all for you GJ, if that desktop wallpaper is any indication, they obviously had plans to make a penguin soon. And I believe I remember seeing a non-gachapon hawk in a show photo somewhere too...

The likelihood of those prototype figures eventually popping up in auctions isn't very hopeful though if I learned anything from dabbuu's threads about Takara's tendency to have those types of things destroyed, but who knows 

Edited by bachamn, 04 December 2013 - 06:49 AM.

#986 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1853 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:54 AM

The Zebra, Fox, General Hawk, and the Salmon were all shown at the original announcement during the Tokyo Toy Show.  I'm pretty the pictures are in this thread still, but I don't know if I can find them.

True but those where only present on pics and not as physical models during the show, that was what I was pointing at. I assume that within the pics actuall prototypes might have been used that were still in line of being produced while the amount of models present during the Toy Show was actually produced according to the way we know them IMHO. So its plausible that figs like the Zebra, Fox, Mandrill and a couple of others we've seen on pics/documents only were still the original prototypes. 

Like Bachamn mentioned.

yeah I know that the splash image on the Beast Saga website also shows the fox and salmon, and the mandrill was in some promo photo as well. And I believe I remember seeing a non-gachapon hawk in a show photo somewhere too...

The likelihood of those prototype figures eventually popping up in auctions isn't very hopeful though if I learned anything from dabbuu's threads about Takara's tendency to have those types of things destroyed, but who knows 

Don't expect anything prototype like to pop up from Japan because Takara and I assume this would also go for TakaraTomy is really strict about these items and they're destroyed before you know it. Lets hope that's not the reason why to prototypes of the Zebra, Fox and others have never been produced :)

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

#987 Louk

Louk

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:05 AM

True but those where only present on pics and not as physical models during the show, that was what I was pointing at. I assume that within the pics actuall prototypes might have been used that were still in line of being produced while the amount of models present during the Toy Show was actually produced according to the way we know them IMHO. So its plausible that figs like the Zebra, Fox, Mandrill and a couple of others we've seen on pics/documents only were still the original prototypes. 

No, they were there, I found the pics:

http://twitpic.com/9xde90 Salmon

http://twitpic.com/9xch8l Non-Gacha Hawk

http://twitpic.com/9xbw27 Zebra

http://twitpic.com/9xbtd8 Fox

All the same DANGER_C guy, all physical toys.

And as long as I'm linking stuff from this guy's twitter, here is another neat image

http://twitpic.com/cnskvs

Apparently it's from the Beast Saga theme song CD?  There is at least one symbol not cut off that is completely new (the Mouse I'm guessing between the Koala and Geedam's symbols)

Edited by Louk, 04 December 2013 - 07:11 AM.

#988 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:15 AM

those are the ones I was thinking of, good digging Louk. 

And that last image is awesome, it looks very much like the contact sheet for my beast saga decals. Actually that image would have come in handy when I was making them...   ;)

Looks like it has designs for other anime characters as well. (The one between Gidam and the Koala is the Beaver)

Edited by bachamn, 04 December 2013 - 07:16 AM.

#989 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1853 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:18 AM

You're right I overlooked those on the overview images I had from the Beast Saga booth.

Wonder what the reasons issues would have been for TakaraTomy for not having released those by now.....

Think the symbols you found might have been from an insert within the Theme song CD.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

#990 Skullking

Skullking

I have a large obsession with small figures

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:MUSCLE, Battle Beasts, Beast Saga, MIMP, Armorvors, Mordles

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:45 AM

Wow! This sucks!

I'm glad we got all the figures we did, but it's too bad the line died so quickly. I still need to get the painted kangaroo I think.

#991 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:10 AM

So I wonder when Amazon is going to finally give up on this listing. They've just bumped it back for the third time now.

Attached File  Capture.PNG   16.03K   20 downloads

#992 Louk

Louk

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:36 AM

So I wonder when Amazon is going to finally give up on this listing. They've just bumped it back for the third time now.

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

They actually made those, I think.  I found something on a blog I'll need to look for again.  The item is a case for 3 figures, their cards and dice (essentially a team you would play in the game).  I saw that they gave them away at some of the events Taktom held.

Here are some images of the case not put together, I can't find the blog I was looking for, maybe I'll look more later:

http://blogs.yahoo.c...8/25079912.html

Nevermind I found it, box fully put together:

http://irurei.blog97...entry-2294.html

Edited by Louk, 05 December 2013 - 08:38 AM.

#993 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:55 AM

nice links. I'd been specuating what that case was going to look like for a while now. This also explains why the thing is serialized as BS44 when other items ith later serials were already released earlier this year.  Looks like they had a drawing to give away 500 of these from the JUMP festivals/

So, I guess it's possible that this will in fact eventually go on sale if they've already produced them a while back. After seeing it though, and learning that it only holds 3 figures, meh... I could take or leave it. I guess it would be a good container to store all the cards, dice, and extra weapons.

#994 Louk

Louk

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:01 AM

nice links. I'd been specuating what that case was going to look like for a while now. This also explains why the thing is serialized as BS44 when other items ith later serials were already released earlier this year.  Looks like they had a drawing to give away 500 of these from the JUMP festivals/

So, I guess it's possible that this will in fact eventually go on sale if they've already produced them a while back. After seeing it though, and learning that it only holds 3 figures, meh... I could take or leave it. I guess it would be a good container to store all the cards, dice, and extra weapons.

Heh I don't even know if all of my dice would fit in that box, honestly.  With the Decals, and all the extra dice from the boosters, everything I have a lunch bag that is just full of dice from these guys.

#995 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:10 AM

Wow do you have a bunch of duplicates or something then? I have every piece released in this line (except 3 of the promo figs) and my dice only fill up a little more than one of those 50-card trading card cases.

#996 Louk

Louk

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:43 AM

I would take a picture but the camara on my cellphone is crappy. I mean they all would probably fit in that box, but there are a lot. Suffice to say it isn't the emblem dice, but the magic dice (the +3s and +4s) that I have a ton of at this point. I have a 100+ of those since they just come with everything. I think I have around 200 total dice (39+24+3 emblems, 130ish magic dice)

#997 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1853 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:00 PM

Well in between all the speculations and assumption posts, which are the logic result of the lack of news around the normal BS, I thought it would be time to do a little review again of the new Clear Small BS figures. I had them ordered a while ago and received my box from Japan today and took a few pics. They've found their way to Ebay already as well so you can get them there but it might be wise to see if they're really worth the money so here's some info.

The box out on Ebay seems to contain 10x a package of 2 figures (UPDATE: The box out on Ebay contains 10 figs in total so it holds 5 boxes of 2 which means its ONE complete set and not TWO!). I only ordered 4 packages to see what they were and 1 of the 5 different ones was not available. So there are 5 packages that hold 2 different sculpts;

1. Lion + Gator 

2. Tiger + Elephant

3. Whelp + Titanium Burton (?) (the one I'm missing in this review)

4. Shark + Deer

5. Eagle + Owl

Its not completely 'clear' to me based on the pics out there which fig comes with the Whelp.  

So there are 10 different sculpts available and all are available in 3 different colors (Green (SKY), Red (LAND), Blue (SEA)) resulting in the fact there are 30 different sculpts to collect. Boxes are random but they have a little hole in the front which might be the reason why I received the exact 4 different boxes I ordered while they were unopened while I'd expected them to be opened just for the check of the items inside just like the BS Clear figs we know. Or there might be a certain order in the bigger box that defined the different figs inside because you can't see a thing from the outside as the little box itself doesn't give away a clue from the figs inside, so they are random. Although I guess you can rest asured that in case you order that big box that holds 10 smaller packages (each include 2 figs) you'll have two 'complete' sets of 1-5. Of course in that case the colors might vary due to the 30 different figs available.

Back to the actuall figures and packaging, as can be seen on the pics the box is relatively small compared to the normal BS Lion. After opening you'll find two figs connected to the little plastic frame thingy (similar to the Gacha figures) wrapped in plastic with a cardboard back and a gum. The gum is nothing special by the way so that shouldn't be the reason to order them ;)

Attached File  BS small clear.JPG   167.51K   26 downloadsAttached File  BS small clear 1.JPG   177.24K   39 downloadsAttached File  BS small clear 2.JPG   166.4K   48 downloads

The figs themselves are made of rubber but they're more plastic looking due to the clear colors, the feel might also feel a little plastic like since the parts are so small. Since I was putting them together in low light conditions I had a hard time to fix them directly since the connections are really thiny so you might have to look twice for some parts. Personally I'd expected them to be a little more towards the Vintage Battle Beasts in size but they're obviously a lot smaller. Guess they're quite a bit bigger than the ones that came with the vehicles but I don't have these so can't compare them. On their own some of he sculpts are quite ok while others are way to bulky or don't add a lot extra to the whole line, the Deer is pretty small and it doesn't stand on its own. Overall I'd say they did pretty well at Tomy Takara with these since they are small but really detailled (as (can) expected from Takara) and all the connections perfectly fit eventough they're so small and thiny. Only issue I had was with the head of the Elephant which didn't seem to contain a peg or pin to connect but the shape of the head just fitted in the body part by shape so there is no real connection there outside the fact this part fits in the body part quite ok just by shape. They don't have any rotation in any of the parts so they are really more Gacha static like when it comes to that.

Attached File  BS small clear 3.JPG   59.13K   48 downloadsAttached File  BS small clear 4.JPG   71.83K   57 downloads

In the end all the sculpts are just a little different than the way we know them from the normal BS so some are done better or some hold just a better pose while others look quite awefull compared to the normal sculpts we know. Personally I think the Eagle Sculpt is pretty nicely done for such a small fig but it looks far from the eagle we know.

Attached File  BS small clear 5.JPG   68.78K   63 downloadsAttached File  BS small clear 6.JPG   69.99K   42 downloads

As a conclusion I'd say this is obviously NOT what we were wainting for and expecting to get but knowing we probably wont hear a lot about the normal BS anymore this might be the way to stretch the BS era with just a few weeks or months for some collectors since there are 30 out there for the ones interested!

Edited by GJNL, 11 December 2013 - 03:44 AM.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

#998 ersico

ersico

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:11 AM

i need these in my life

off to ebay i suppose

#999 JonnyPac

JonnyPac

The beast collector in the boonies...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1110 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:28 PM

I just ordered the set of minis. 

#1000 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:33 PM

I just ordered the set of minis. 

I noticed today that they're currently out of stock on amazon JP. Incidentally my brother just sent this pic over today so I should be getting mine before long.  :)

Attached File  1526640_10152164039567754_1001364517_n.jpg   81.27K   20 downloads

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com