• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#26 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

just getting into knife making.

blade of the immortal is my master.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 21 June 2009 - 04:14 PM

nuts to that, let's play some poker instead. :p

if i encounter the demons in hell, i will kill them all..

vi veri veniversum vivus vici.

#27 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 22 June 2009 - 06:06 PM

Damn this thread! Between this and the XBLA game, i found myself really wanting to open some cards again. I've resisted the urge for over a year and tonight i impulse bought a fat pack of Eventide. It was on sale for $25 instead of the regular $35, so it was a pretty good deal for 8 packs.

Still though, i don't even have anyone to play with. :o
Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#28 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts
  • Interests:A little info on me I am a pretty big Forgotten Realms fan, I love R.A. Salvatore books. I love dragons! Lord of the Rings, Star Trek "Borgs Mostly", Battle Beasts. I love playing on the Computer, Fixing, Designing and just about everything with them. I collect Quinton Hoover Magic Cards, and artwork of him. Also some other favorite artists Greg Horn, Al Rio and Frank Cho and spending time with my wife and three daughters.

Posted 22 June 2009 - 06:30 PM

Damn this thread! Between this and the XBLA game, i found myself really wanting to open some cards again. I've resisted the urge for over a year and tonight i impulse bought a fat pack of Eventide. It was on sale for $25 instead of the regular $35, so it was a pretty good deal for 8 packs.

Still though, i don't even have anyone to play with. :o

We could always get video cameras, and play live VS each other. :p That way we could see what each other is playing!!! :D

I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.

#29 Adamantiumwulf

Adamantiumwulf

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1900 posts
  • Interests:Sega Master System and Segas other Consoles and games., Legos
    Transformers
    Baseball cards
    various action figures

Posted 24 June 2009 - 12:42 PM

I picked it up last night and played through the first couple challenges and matches. It is a fun game I just at some points you could skip the timer e.g. when you can't block because of flying creatures and stuff like that.

Edited by Adamantiumwulf, 24 June 2009 - 12:42 PM.

"I've always believed that a lot of the trouble in the world would disappear if we were talking to each other instead of about each other." Ronald Regan - April 11, 1984

#30 lhssenior

lhssenior

Toy Addict

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1464 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 01:28 PM

Ok, I've been playing this for a few days now and am really enjoying it. Is it just me though and in the deck edit screen, is there no way to remove cards from a deck other than the cards you have unlocked? That's really a dumb move... damn you Wall of Wood how am I supposed to kill anyone with the likes of you!!!@!
-Barry

#31 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 26 June 2009 - 06:30 AM

Ok, I've been playing this for a few days now and am really enjoying it. Is it just me though and in the deck edit screen, is there no way to remove cards from a deck other than the cards you have unlocked? That's really a dumb move... damn you Wall of Wood how am I supposed to kill anyone with the likes of you!!!@!
-Barry

Yeah, no way to remove cards from decks unfortunately.
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#32 Adamantiumwulf

Adamantiumwulf

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1900 posts
  • Interests:Sega Master System and Segas other Consoles and games., Legos
    Transformers
    Baseball cards
    various action figures

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:04 AM

Yeah, no way to remove cards from decks unfortunately.

Yeah. But it keeps it simple.

How many board members have this? Just wondering what kind of games we might be able to play 2v2 and such.
"I've always believed that a lot of the trouble in the world would disappear if we were talking to each other instead of about each other." Ronald Regan - April 11, 1984

#33 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 09:55 AM

Wall of Wood produces virtual card advantage against a good opponent if you're playing Giant Growth in your deck, and nutralizes any creature they may want to attack with with power of two or less.

Not that I'm saying it's a good card, but it's (slightly) better than some people think. At least in the first few turns.
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

And you are here, with them, as so many specks of sand.

#34 lhssenior

lhssenior

Toy Addict

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1464 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 10:54 AM

Wall of Wood produces virtual card advantage against a good opponent if you're playing Giant Growth in your deck, and nutralizes any creature they may want to attack with with power of two or less.

Not that I'm saying it's a good card, but it's (slightly) better than some people think. At least in the first few turns.

I'd have to respectfully disagree with you about any merits of the wall. If you have to play a Ginat Growth on it to take something out then there is no card advantage as the Giant Growth for the other creature is a 1 for 1 swap and then you are still stuck with the wall, in which case if you would have used the Giant Growth on a creature that could both block AND attack, at the end of the day you still have a viable creature on the board.

Your second point I could see if it were a blue or white card, but since when is a green deck concerned with defense? It's all about early weenie swarm or mana producers until you can start dropping houses and you simply outpace your opponents at that point.

Walls in general just seem to be about the most useless type of card as any advantage you can gain for them is at most a break even, and a situational one at that, 10 times out of 10 though they are just keeping you from drawing a better card.

#35 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 02:27 PM

I said against a GOOD opponent. If you've got one that just swings without thinking, it's near-useless. A player anticipating a trick will not attack into the wall-- thus the VIRTUAL card advantage.

However, 95% of the time, it's crap, since you can't count on it coming in the first turn, and after the fourth turn it's near crap.
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

#36 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 04:18 PM

I've always liked Wall of Wood. Granted it never made it into my decks once i got into league and tournament play back in the day, but it always provided a solid advantage in my early days.

I find it's still viable in casual play, especially with all the tiny one or two mana creatures with "haste". Nice to have a substantial blocker on the first turn.
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#37 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts
  • Interests:A little info on me I am a pretty big Forgotten Realms fan, I love R.A. Salvatore books. I love dragons! Lord of the Rings, Star Trek "Borgs Mostly", Battle Beasts. I love playing on the Computer, Fixing, Designing and just about everything with them. I collect Quinton Hoover Magic Cards, and artwork of him. Also some other favorite artists Greg Horn, Al Rio and Frank Cho and spending time with my wife and three daughters.

Posted 28 June 2009 - 02:20 PM

I've always liked Wall of Wood. Granted it never made it into my decks once i got into league and tournament play back in the day, but it always provided a solid advantage in my early days.

I find it's still viable in casual play, especially with all the tiny one or two mana creatures with "haste". Nice to have a substantial blocker on the first turn.

I have always liked Wall of Shadows myself. Him and uncle istvan. They where always fun in a black deck. :D

I will never quit.

#38 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

just getting into knife making.

blade of the immortal is my master.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 28 June 2009 - 03:41 PM

the only thing i remember from playing forever ago was lure with basilisk or cockatrice (can't remember which i guess) or fork/fireball combos. also, that maze of ith came in handy every now and then.

if i encounter the demons in hell, i will kill them all..

vi veri veniversum vivus vici.

#39 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 06:51 PM

the only thing i remember from playing forever ago was lure with basilisk or cockatrice (can't remember which i guess) or fork/fireball combos. also, that maze of ith came in handy every now and then.

You could use either one. I used those combos more than once. :) Lure was another on of my favorite cards. I think back then I ran a lot of Green. Now, Blue Mono and Black and Red. :)

I will never quit.

#40 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:40 AM

Lure is still a decent card, too.

#41 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 09 July 2009 - 05:33 PM

Guys, I used to play Magic back in high school and a little bit of college. I too sold all my cards... twice. :unknw: I have the same problem some of you have: no one to play with. And I'm not interested in playing any digital form. :no:

Anyhoo, I'm also now intimidated by the gobs and gobs of cards as well. So lets say I found one or two noobs to play with. Is there a way to play with a limited range of cards?

I guess I'm not being very clear. I guess I should just ask: If I was going to start playing again and maybe get 1 or 2 noobs to start playing, how should I proceed? :) (Without spending $300+.)
Posted Image

#42 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 06:39 PM

Guys, I used to play Magic back in high school and a little bit of college. I too sold all my cards... twice. :no: I have the same problem some of you have: no one to play with. And I'm not interested in playing any digital form. :)

Anyhoo, I'm also now intimidated by the gobs and gobs of cards as well. So lets say I found one or two noobs to play with. Is there a way to play with a limited range of cards?

I guess I'm not being very clear. I guess I should just ask: If I was going to start playing again and maybe get 1 or 2 noobs to start playing, how should I proceed? :) (Without spending $300+.)

Pre-Con decks would be the way to go. They give you a good start. I myself bought an old pre-con Spike Deck from Stronghold and used it to make a new deck. Troll and Toad have really good prices on cards as well.

Man you guys need to live closer so we could all play. I go once a month to a local game shop. The problem is no one plays the old cards like I do. :( Most of the people have never even seen my cards. I still have Beta Lands. :) And I still play them.

That is what I would do.

WhiteLeo

There's got to be another Spokanite that plays magic on this board. Isn't there? :unknw:

I will never quit.

#43 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:30 PM

Pre-Con decks are good. Also a lot of comic shops are absolutely bogged down in old Magic cards. The new stuff is pricey, and the rares do hold their value. But a few of the shops around here have boxes upon boxes of older cards for like 5 to 10 cents each, commons and uncommons. Good way to get back into deckbuilding, or even to tweak the preconstructed ones. Check your local comic/card shop for sure.
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#44 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:19 AM

I know! I know of a toy store and a local card store that are loaded with Magic cards with $.50 price tags. I just need someone to play with! :unknw:
Posted Image

#45 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:23 AM

Ask around the places that sell Magic if there's tournaments around, and check Wizards of the Coast's tournament locator.

Granted, the people you find might be more hardcore than you're looking for, but they'll probably know of the casual crowds in the area.

#46 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:17 AM

I know! I know of a toy store and a local card store that are loaded with Magic cards with $.50 price tags. I just need someone to play with! :unknw:

I thought you were just looking for help with the card end of your hypothetical situation. The best answer i can give for the second part is move to Dayton. :no:
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#47 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:57 AM

I thought you were just looking for help with the card end of your hypothetical situation. The best answer i can give for the second part is move to Dayton. :no:

Yeah, but I'll definitely go with the pre-con deck idea you guys mentioned, and then I'll tweak them as I remember/learn more cards. Now, can I get pre-con decks with old cards, or are they all new cards? When I was playing, I think 5th edition had just come out with the all new art. That is what I know (and love).

Maybe you guys can suggest here one or two simple decks, and I can hunt the cards down at the shops I know of. :) LMK if one of you would be willing to do that. You can PM the list of cards. :(

Also, I just talked to my next door neighbor who moved in a month or two ago. He had mentioned he's really into video games and comics, as well as anime. I went waaay out on a limb ( :unknw: ) and asked him if he played Magic. He said, "Hey, there's a new video game out for Magic, and I was just going to dig out my cards and start playing again!" Perfect timing! :)

I can't wait to start collecting! (There are also UFC cards coming out soon that I'll be collecting again! I am so excited. I think I like collecting cards even more than mini-figs. :) )
Posted Image

#48 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:44 PM

I will send you some deck ideas tonight when I get home soups. :p

I will never quit.

#49 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:00 PM

Question about the stack: I thought I had a good handle on this, but when reading the example on Wiki I was thrown off.

Alice is attacking Anthony with a Hill Giant, a 3/3 creature (meaning it has 3 power and 3 toughness). Anthony chooses to block with his Grizzly Bears, a weaker 2/2 creature. If nothing else happened, the Hill Giant would deal 3 damage to the Grizzly Bears and kill them, while the Bears would deal 2 damage to the Giant, making Hill Giant "the winner". However, Anthony decides to cast his Giant Growth spell on his Grizzly Bears before combat damage is dealt. He taps a Forest to pay for the spell, and puts Giant Growth on the stack. Alice, who does not want to give the Grizzly Bears a chance to grow to 5/5 and kill her Hill Giant, responds by casting Shock. She taps one Mountain, tells Anthony she is targeting the Grizzly Bears, and puts Shock on the stack on top of Giant Growth.

If Anthony had no other spells, then Alice's Shock would resolve first and deal 2 damage to the Grizzly Bears, killing them. His Giant Growth would then go to the graveyard with no effect because the Bears would no longer be on the battlefield and would thus be an illegal target. Fortunately for Anthony, he has another spell to cast. He taps a Plains and casts Mending Hands on his Grizzly Bears. Now Mending Hands is on top of the stack, with Shock and then Giant Growth beneath it.

The first thing that throws me off is the Shock potentially killing the Grizzly Bears just hit with Giant Growth. If a 2/2 creature was hit with Giant Growth it would be 5/5, so two points of damage shouldn't kill it. I don't get how a Shock caste after a Giant Growth takes affect first.

If the card caste second acts first, then how would a counter spell work? If a caste a Shock and then someone castes a counter spell after me, what... does the counter spell then happen before the Shock? If the counter spell happened before the Shock, wouldn't it fizzle? (Just saying.)

Can anyone explain the logic behind how the stack is supposed to work so I can apply it to some scenarios.
Posted Image

#50 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:24 PM

Question about the stack: I thought I had a good handle on this, but when reading the example on Wiki I was thrown off.

Alice is attacking Anthony with a Hill Giant, a 3/3 creature (meaning it has 3 power and 3 toughness). Anthony chooses to block with his Grizzly Bears, a weaker 2/2 creature. If nothing else happened, the Hill Giant would deal 3 damage to the Grizzly Bears and kill them, while the Bears would deal 2 damage to the Giant, making Hill Giant "the winner". However, Anthony decides to cast his Giant Growth spell on his Grizzly Bears before combat damage is dealt. He taps a Forest to pay for the spell, and puts Giant Growth on the stack. Alice, who does not want to give the Grizzly Bears a chance to grow to 5/5 and kill her Hill Giant, responds by casting Shock. She taps one Mountain, tells Anthony she is targeting the Grizzly Bears, and puts Shock on the stack on top of Giant Growth.

If Anthony had no other spells, then Alice's Shock would resolve first and deal 2 damage to the Grizzly Bears, killing them. His Giant Growth would then go to the graveyard with no effect because the Bears would no longer be on the battlefield and would thus be an illegal target. Fortunately for Anthony, he has another spell to cast. He taps a Plains and casts Mending Hands on his Grizzly Bears. Now Mending Hands is on top of the stack, with Shock and then Giant Growth beneath it.

The first thing that throws me off is the Shock potentially killing the Grizzly Bears just hit with Giant Growth. If a 2/2 creature was hit with Giant Growth it would be 5/5, so two points of damage shouldn't kill it. I don't get how a Shock caste after a Giant Growth takes affect first.

If the card caste second acts first, then how would a counter spell work? If a caste a Shock and then someone castes a counter spell after me, what... does the counter spell then happen before the Shock? If the counter spell happened before the Shock, wouldn't it fizzle? (Just saying.)

Can anyone explain the logic behind how the stack is supposed to work so I can apply it to some scenarios.

Ok, lets say we are in a game together. I have a 1/1 rat out in play. It is your turn and you cast shock to destroy my rats. I decide to counter it. So it goes on top of the stack. If you happen to have a counter spell to counter mine it goes above mine. So you would counter my counter and thous the shock would still take affect and kill my rat. So it is the last spell cast takes priority. I believe that is the easiest way to explain it.

I don't know how else to explain it. But the above sentence is right. Now if he cast the giant growth after the shock was cast the bear would still servive.

Kind of weird I know but that is how I understand it.

I will never quit.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com