16 replies to this topic

#1 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1853 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 05 August 2015 - 11:22 AM

No this is not about a Cobra Battle Beasts scoring an ice hockey goal ;)

I´ve the following ´issue´ with a Stone Cobra I received;

Attached File  IMG_20150805_210709.jpg   86.24K   16 downloads

As you can see on the pic above the left hand (right on the pic) of the figure is not 100% the way you´d expect it to be as its shorter than the normal Cobra hand. I vaguely remember having had or seen this on a normal King Cobra before as well but I can´t recall it and I don´t have pics of it in my archive either. Since its not a clean cut or a sign or serious damage it looks like its something that came right of the mold like this. The end of the end is a little bit rougher compared to the end on the other hand but not rough in a way its been damaged or cut since its clearly rounded towards the end as if it should´ve been like that. For what it worth its a 59B Stone Cobra although this is definitely not an issue you could assign to the B run as it looks more like a mold error or whatsoever that could´ve happened with the A and C versions as well imho. 

Wonder if someone has any thoughts/ideas about it and whether there´s a reference to a normal King Cobra with a shorter hand like this Stone version?

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#2 TinyPink

TinyPink

Vengeful Ghost of Bubba Ritter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1551 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 11:28 AM

Are you thinking it's a knockoff?  Do people bootleg these?    I do see what you mean, that arm does look shorter.  A bit malformed, as well, unless it's just the angle.

I have the ToyFare article explaining that these were only available in Japan, apparently part of some obscure promotion.  It's a neat figure.

Welcomed currency:  Rubber Uglies, rubber monsters, jigglers, vinyl monsters, Arco monsters, Imperial monsters, fish cans....

#3 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1853 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 05 August 2015 - 11:37 AM

Are you thinking it's a knockoff?  Do people bootleg these?    I do see what you mean, that arm does look shorter.  A bit malformed, as well, unless it's just the angle.

I have the ToyFare article explaining that these were only available in Japan, apparently part of some obscure promotion.  It's a neat figure.

This is not a bootleg is an official Stone Cobra but its the end of the hand that is a little odd compared to the normal standards, so its not about the arm its about the lenght of its right hand/claw which is a bit shorter than normal.

They have been reproduced or they are mimicked in another way, like having a normal Cobra painted with this marble look though since its a pretty rare piece within the Battle Beasts line.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#4 Jesse

Jesse

They should really get a breathalyzer on thi site

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1051 posts
  • Interests:Fistful of power, Universe of violence and random odds and ends...

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:32 PM

This is not a bootleg is an official Stone Cobra but its the end of the hand that is a little odd compared to the normal standards, so its not about the arm its about the lenght of its right hand/claw which is a bit shorter than normal.

They have been reproduced or they are mimicked in another way, like having a normal Cobra painted with this marble look though since its a pretty rare piece within the Battle Beasts line.

So im guessing you aint selling this for me for 10$ cause its wrong haha... :p
Gotta say this Cobra is one of my favourite BB. Loved it ever since i saw the TGB gem coloured cobras, also the fact that these stone/customs are single colour makes them intrieving to me..

#5 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:44 PM

It's probably just one that wasn't caught by the QA dept.

That happens when the melted pellets don't completely fill the mold cavity during the injection process.
We've seen this more than a few times with M.U.S.C.L.E. figures. It's totally random.

#6 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1853 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 05 August 2015 - 01:25 PM

So im guessing you aint selling this for me for 10$ cause its wrong haha... :p
Gotta say this Cobra is one of my favourite BB. Loved it ever since i saw the TGB gem coloured cobras, also the fact that these stone/customs are single colour makes them intrieving to me..

Srry, can´t let it go for $10 as I need a little bit more for him but he is not available ;)

That happens when the melted pellets don't completely fill the mold cavity during the injection process.
We've seen this more than a few times with M.U.S.C.L.E. figures. It's totally random.

Interesting, I´d have expected the end of that hand/claw to be shaped less smooth in that case but as mentioned its rounded and shaped pretty nice at the end almost as if its supposed to be like that. Seems like a totally random thing indeed.

Hope someone is able to come up with a reference or pic of a normal King Cobra with the same issue as I´d swear I´ve seen it somewhere in the past.....

Edited by Beastformers, 09 August 2015 - 05:05 AM.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

#7 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1853 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 07 August 2015 - 12:35 AM

It's hard to focus on such a small detail but since I had some requests about it I decided to upload some detailled pics of it here to keep it all complete;

Attached File  DSC_0226~2.jpg   79.02K   8 downloadsAttached File  DSC_0227~2.jpg   82.18K   10 downloadsAttached File  DSC_0228~2.jpg   62.84K   7 downloadsAttached File  DSC_0229~2.jpg   70.1K   5 downloadsAttached File  DSC_0231~2.jpg   64.42K   6 downloadsAttached File  DSC_0230~2.jpg   64.87K   7 downloadsAttached File  DSC_0232~2.jpg   68.84K   9 downloads

As mentioned previously and which hopefully is shown well on these pics here as well is the fact that the stub is pretty well formed and rounded.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

#8 Jesse

Jesse

They should really get a breathalyzer on thi site

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1051 posts
  • Interests:Fistful of power, Universe of violence and random odds and ends...

Posted 07 August 2015 - 02:14 AM

Just dropping the question here how low could the single colour Cobras sell? Any colour, gumbal, tgb custom, stone etc. works for me. No need for weapon...
If they dont go too high i would be into buying one :)

#9 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1853 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 07 August 2015 - 03:47 AM

If the price is an issue and your looking for a single, monotone, colored Cobra I'd say Eric Nilla's Gumball custom Cobra is the best option if you manage to find one.

He sold them for around $25-30 each so they're a lot cheaper than the custom Cobra's made by TGB back in the days which were around $60-100. All of these are custom figures though is there's no original Gumball, Greek or whatever Cobra beast made. Maybe the Russians will make one as well sooner or later.

In case its just about the sculpt I'd say go for a normal Cobra BB without a rub and with some little wear because in that case you should be able to find one for $8-$10 or so and if its really damaged you can always give it a color yourself.

Enjoy the Beasts!

Edited by Beastformers, 07 August 2015 - 04:24 AM.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

#10 Rubberhammer

Rubberhammer

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2463 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:05 AM

Just dropping the question here how low could the single colour Cobras sell? Any colour, gumbal, tgb custom, stone etc. works for me. No need for weapon...
If they dont go too high i would be into buying one :)

Just buy a regular Cobra, thar has a lot of paint wear, and strip the paint from it yourself.
That would be pretty cheap.

#11 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:13 AM

yeah looks like either molding malfunction, or perhaps the plastic was melted on that hand. A shark I have has burnt feed, and the tips of the feet kind of "globbed" up and smoothed out similarly to the way this Cobra's club hand appears.

#12 bot3ro

bot3ro

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts - Laser Beasts - Beast Saga - Nintendo - Photography - Travel - Scuba Diving - Football

Posted 15 August 2015 - 12:26 AM

Interesting detail with the hand. But I think I have to agree with bachmann that it looks like a molding misfunction. But maybe more details will come up that might change that. Anyways very cool. Thanks for sharing beastformers!

#13 TinyPink

TinyPink

Vengeful Ghost of Bubba Ritter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1551 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 02:58 PM

Is this a paint job or is he molded with the swirl?

Just saw the Carp that looks like cola in a clear glass....very cool.

Welcomed currency:  Rubber Uglies, rubber monsters, jigglers, vinyl monsters, Arco monsters, Imperial monsters, fish cans....

#14 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1853 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:14 PM

Is this a paint job or is he molded with the swirl?

Just saw the Carp that looks like cola in a clear glass....very cool.

The marbling effect is applied over the Grey base figure. Same goes for the Striped Clear "Cola" Carp you mentioned for which just a normal Clear Carp was used as a base.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

#15 meatcutta78

meatcutta78

Im a M.U.S.C.L.E head.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2479 posts
  • Interests:I'm all about mono mini sculpts! , I also like long walks on the beach and wearing G-Strings in the privacy of my home.

Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:37 PM

I for one think it's a great find, I know Jkaris already mentioned M.U.S.C.L.E figs popping up like this,I've also seen my share with a few GPK figs as well. We all know that's not an easy figure to score,but hey finding one like that's is like 1 in a mil!!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#16 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 16 August 2015 - 05:51 AM

There would be a nice little market if people were bootin' them. From what I know, most people just take a regular cobra and get them painted a la stone.

Edit:

A negative rep for what, Retro? We haven't all got deep pockets to shell out $500+ for toys, especially a single figure.

I'd buy a repro in a heartbeat, be it a paint job or a figure cast in the marbled-colouring. It's the only way I'll ever own a Stone Cobra.

Edited by Draznar, 16 August 2015 - 03:27 PM.

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#17 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 16 August 2015 - 06:27 AM

The marbling effect is applied over the Grey base figure.

specifically, the "marbling effect" is a just a thin black wash applied over the figure, which is why it's so easy to reproduce

I don't know if "obscure" is the right word, they promoted the hell out of it haha. I think "elaborate" works a little better for this guy, had to jump through some hoops to get one through mail-away. I've made a number of posts about it on my site so far, but still haven't covered all the pieces related to this fella.

One day I will own one, just not now. Which reminds me, that last one on YAJ went for around $380; good to see that $600-$1k impulse buy crap going away.

Edited by bachamn, 16 August 2015 - 06:29 AM.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com