Theme© by Fisana

Photo

Showcase #1: The rabbit hole of BB lead me to Beast Saga!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts
  • Interests:Former Pro Wrestler so naturally Wrestling, Kinnikuman, Saint Seiya, Kinkeshi, Deka Kinkeshi & throw in some AoA!

Posted 30 March 2018 - 03:02 AM

Showcase #1: The rabbit hole of BB lead me to Beast Saga!

The first showcase I did was on my new collecting journey of Battle Beasts (on the respective section of the LRG topic thread). This showcase is about Beast Saga, once I decided to start collecting Battle Beasts it led me down the rabbit hole and now I find myself with some Beast Saga figures!

Of course being a "newbie" to the line I will apologize to the hardcore collectors as all of this is already common knowledge (thanks to Beastformers and other fellow LRG members).

I didn't really know anything about this line besides it being somewhat of sucessor to the original Battle Beast line. Usually my "Go-To" place for buying vintage or any Japanese toy lines/franchises are yahoojapan or Mandarake.

I used this for my search on yahoojapan & Mandarake: ビーストサーガ

The figures themselves are pretty economical but once you add shipping or proxy middle man charges the prices go up (sometimes significantly).

So I stumbled on a Lot of Beast Saga figures and won the auction (1 bid which was mine and no one else bid, so I assume the line is not particulary popular anymore in Japan?)

The Lot had 30 figures, all the corresponding weapons & dice, cards and some more extra dice. The seller even included a card folder for the cards (brought back memories of when I collected Marvel/DC trading cards as a kid!)

I paid what I thought was a fair price due to the figures selling for on average 300 yen each or 600 yen for the 3 pack sets (plus taking into account shipping etc).

Shipping was an additional 25 EUR (AIR SP).

I received the figures this week so hence my excitement!

So if you have not collected Beast Saga figures or have thought about collecting these, I highly recommend buying them now since the prices are quite reasonable (ebay prices are insane though).

The more time passes by the more it works against collectors.

I am missing 30 figures to have a complete collection but am not sure how difficult it is to have a complete set.

As far as I know from Beastformers checklist the line has 60 figures total?

But I dont think this checklist takes into account the 6 unpainted/promotional figures?

So would that be 66 figures total in the collection? Not counting the Sofubi figures (haha)

Attached File  1.jpg   170.52K   1 downloadsAttached File  2.jpg   123.78K   1 downloads

Attached File  3.jpg   126.2K   1 downloadsAttached File  4.jpg   84.73K   1 downloads

Attached File  5.jpg   164.11K   2 downloads

Edited by kayfabe1985, 09 July 2018 - 01:25 PM.

#2 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts
  • Interests:Former Pro Wrestler so naturally Wrestling, Kinnikuman, Saint Seiya, Kinkeshi, Deka Kinkeshi & throw in some AoA!

Posted 30 March 2018 - 03:10 AM

A pic of all the figures out of the box (the Lot also had a clear version of the Giraffe and 1 unopend figure):

Attached File  20180329_214324.jpg   71.73K   3 downloadsAttached File  20180329_214339.jpg   97.42K   4 downloads

Attached File  20180329_214347.jpg   114.32K   3 downloadsAttached File  20180329_214429.jpg   129.41K   2 downloads

:

Edited by kayfabe1985, 30 March 2018 - 03:11 AM.

#3 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 01:52 PM

Are you collecting the candy box keshi set?

#4 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 02:15 PM

Are you collecting the candy box keshi set?

You know me too well! I managed to get my hands on 4 of them but man are they hard to get!

Also priced higher a la later Parts kinkeshi.

Kinda kicking myself for not noticing them during my last trip to Japan last Fall.

20 total in the set right? 3 colors each?

#5 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 03:07 PM

Yeah the SD beastformers with weapons can pull good money.

I was talking about the Beast Saga ones though.

#6 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 03:15 PM

Yeah the SD beastformers with weapons can pull good money.

I was talking about the Beast Saga ones though.

SD Battle Beasts I started collecting. I am a completist and since it's only 20 I figured it be a long fight to complete but not impossible.

I am undecided on the Beast Saga keshi; funny enough I first heard about them through you.

I saw a pic of the 5 boxed set you had on instagram (I still don't have an instagram account).

How many are in the collection?

Edited by kayfabe1985, 30 March 2018 - 03:16 PM.

#7 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 30 March 2018 - 05:12 PM

30 (10x3) of the candy box "keshi" (they're not really keshi) figures:. Lion, Cub, Deer, Tiger, Elephant, Shark, Gator, Cheetah, Owl, Eagle. Here's my set, they fit in well alongside other BF/BB KOs and candy toys.

Attached File  IMG_20180330_184134.jpg   187.62K   16 downloads

I'm quite fond of them, might have a single spare 2-pack left, but I think I have an empty Kabaya factory box (that held the sets of candy boxes) spare if you'd be interested in having that for free.

For checklist, depending on what you're counting (I don't count the promos) but I have what I consider to be a complete Beast Saga collection which includes 67 "unique" figures, which includes the Blindbox/Burst versions, the DX 3 pack, and the Hawk gachapon figure ( I don't include the other 3 as those were all released as standard figures, even though the gachapon ones are technically different).

Hit me up if you have any other questions, I went all out on this line when it came out and it's hard to find many people who want to discuss it ;)

Edited by bachamn, 30 March 2018 - 05:27 PM.

#8 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:22 AM

Thank you for the 411 Bachamn. Nice display! Since the figures are bulky yet small I wanted to make as much use of space as possible (I see you opted for the clear plastic cases).

I'm sure there's a story to what appears to be a handmade Beast on the left hand side :)

Attached File  IMG_20180330_184134.jpg   35.07K   8 downloads

Since getting the Lot this week I am now knee deep the rabbit hole that is Beast Saga!

I bought 7 figures I did not own and the Burst Deck Type Impact BS 47 from yahoojapan & Mandarake today.

According to Beastformers checklist (I think he counts the Blindbox/Burst versions): https://beastformers...st-saga/wave-1/

That would be 60 figures + the 6 unpainted figures (these would be the promo figures right?) and the 4 Gashapon figures too right? Or am I missing something?

So that be 67 total for you minus the 3 other Gashapon figures I think.

Bare with me since am a newbie to Beast Saga & Battle Beasts in general!

I want to collect all 60 figures, the 6 unpainted figures and the General Hawk Gashapon figure (which I hear is rare? or not readily available?)

I just gathered all my figures and put them on display today (I will need a second shelf since one fit 30)

Attached File  20180331_184841.jpg   121.32K   8 downloads

Edited by kayfabe1985, 31 March 2018 - 11:03 AM.

#9 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 12:10 PM

30 (10x3) of the candy box "keshi" (they're not really keshi) figures:...

They are absolutely Keshi, since Keshi is just the Japanese term for rubber figures.

And yeah 10 Sculpts, you get 2 per box, and 3 colors in all.

I have 2 complete box sets available if you ever want to snag some. They are still in the case box as well.

#10 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 12:26 PM

They are absolutely Keshi, since Keshi is just the Japanese term for rubber figures.

And yeah 10 Sculpts, you get 2 per box, and 3 colors in all.

I have 2 complete box sets available if you ever want to snag some. They are still in the case box as well.

Just sent you a PM :)

#11 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1852 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 01 April 2018 - 02:09 AM

There were 60 ¨different¨ sculpts released in the regular Beast Saga (size/release) so this contained all the single packaged Beast Saga figures as well as the ones that came in the boxsets (including the CLEAR VERSIONS). Without the Clear version releases 3 waves of each 8 figures (3x8=24) you could say there are 36 truly different sculpts knowing the Clear versions are just another release of the normal sculpt. Only the Lion BS1 could be obtained in two different ways namely via the BS1 LAND Starter Set and as an individual packed figure under BS4.

On top of this there´s indeed 6 unpainted figures (Hamster, Deer, Coelacanth, Piranha, Rabbit, Kangaroo).

All of which could be considered to be some sort of promo figures, this is at least confirmed for the Hamster which was the main release promotion figure but for the others goes that some might also have been handed out during special events. There were a couple of so called Saiko V JUMP events where special items were handed out and if I´m correct some of these unpainted versions were handed out there as well. So in comparison to the normal Beast Saga figures these are a bit harder to find these days simply because they´re not available/released in a normal way.  

Than there´s also a release of Beast Saga figures that was released in a Gachapon style via the known Japanese vending machines and these have been overlooked by most collectors probably because 3 out of the 4 figures you could obtain from that set were already released in a normal way (Lion, Shark, Panda) but the most interesting figure that was not released in any other way was the so called White Hawk. This figure was ¨exclusive¨ to the Gachapon release. In total the set contained 6 different items because apart from the chance of pulling one of those 4 figures in an egg you could also obtain one of two sets of special dices. All figures within this Gachapon release had to be created/composed out of loose parts and unlike the normal released BS figures they don´t have any rotation in their arms or legs, also they´re slightly smaller than the original ones. The White Hawk is probably the rarest and most sought after BS figure today simply because it´s overlooked by many collectors and it´s literally been a lucky draw from a vending machine.

With this you could say all of the BS figures released that could fit into the same size/collection have been discussed but as mentioned above there are various other BS items that were released as well. The Sofubi set (Lion, Shark, Hawk) the set with the miniature BS figures included with the various vehicles/playsets which were these awesome self-unfolding Cubes (BS27,28,35,39,48,49) and than there were there were also the KABAYA Minifigures known under the name of Beast Saga W which came with 2 in a small box containing a gum. This KABAYA set held 10 different sculpts but they came in 3 different colors (similar to the SD Battle Beasts) so a total of 30 in total to collect there.

That´s about it and a lot has been mentioned above as well.

Good luck on your Beast Saga hunt!

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#12 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 06:23 AM

New arrival today and addition to the Beast Saga family! This puts me at 31 figures total:

Attached File  20180403_164135.jpg   59.73K   0 downloads

#13 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 12:13 PM

Two arrivals today, two unpainted figures.

-Bunikis (unpainted rabbit, released in 2013?)
-Kannigal (unpainted kangaroo, released in 2013?)

Attached File  20180406_224505.jpg   59.57K   0 downloads

#14 Hibbinator1000

Hibbinator1000

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 04:39 AM

Nice arrivals! I am still missing that unpainted rabbit! Have you played the game yet? Sat around last night with a buddy and went four rounds! Lots of fun! Good luck on the hunt!
Hibbz

#15 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 04:41 AM

Nice arrivals! I am still missing that unpainted rabbit! Have you played the game yet? Sat around last night with a buddy and went four rounds! Lots of fun! Good luck on the hunt!

I have yet to play the game but I am looking forward to it, I plan on playing with my nephew :)

#16 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 04:30 PM

Some new Beast Saga arrivals from Mandarake!

Attached File  1.jpg   181.79K   2 downloads

#17 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:05 PM

BS-18

Attached File  2.jpg   195.53K   0 downloads

#18 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:09 PM

BS-47

Attached File  3.jpg   213.75K   0 downloadsAttached File  4.jpg   238.2K   0 downloads

Pirazon (unpainted piranha, August 2012)

Attached File  5.jpg   125.93K   0 downloads

#19 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:43 AM

The list is down to 19 more figures! Thanks to Beastformers and some purchases from yahoojapan!

Attached File  1.jpg   149.21K   0 downloadsAttached File  2.jpg   231.94K   0 downloads

Attached File  3.jpg   188.4K   0 downloadsAttached File  4.jpg   200.36K   0 downloads

Attached File  5.jpg   236.82K   0 downloadsAttached File  6.jpg   189.74K   0 downloads

#20 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 01:58 AM

Another Beast Saga arrival in a Big Serow (unpainted deer, September 2012); I need two more unpainted figures to have a full set and 16 more regular figures to have a complete collection:

Attached File  20180416_145728.jpg   111.25K   0 downloads

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com