Street Fighter SOTA action figures!

• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#51 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:38 PM

Yeah! I remember the Ermac thing! I think the first place I ever played the MK arcade was at the airport! That's right the Airport! They used to have a whole little arcade spot for all the kids to play in while the adults did their flight business. I miss the 90's. B) I think it was the same place I first played Primal Rage as well. Or maybe we rented it from BlockBuster.

Someone told me that the Sheng pic was a photoshopped pic of one of the Rev figs. It's really hard to tell. Now I want a Sheng Long figure bad! :D I thought he became Gouken.

Dude! Now I'm trying to remember where me and my bro used to get our game cheats from. :) I know we used to get them from somewhere, but the constant source of the internet over the past 8 years has really drowned out that memory. I recall a number of times picking up a mag at the store and writing codes and stuff on a piece of paper with my brother, but other than that i have no idea! Word of mouth maybe... What is BBS?

Posted Image

#52 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:10 PM

Someone told me that the Sheng pic was a photoshopped pic of one of the Rev figs.
I thought he became Gouken.
I recall a number of times picking up a mag at the store and writing codes and stuff on a piece of paper with my brother, but other than that i have no idea! Word of mouth maybe... What is BBS?

Looking at the Sheng Long fig, I think I could do it with my Wacom Tablet in Photoshop.
The hidden boss character that comes out to kill Bison and then fight you if you get there with no losses idea, came from the EGM article about Sheng Long and was used for Akuma. That's how an imaginary character became real in the game. Later on the actual master of Ryu & Ken would be named Gouken and the physical appearance of Sheng Long would get used by Ken (the long ponytail).
A BBS is a Bulletin Board System. A message board with no graphics. Later, really crappy graphics called ANSI would come in. These were the precursor to websites. Basically it looked like a giant DOS window filling the screen. I used to call them "Endless Lists". We would get every new upgrade to a game (SFII and MKII would have an upgrade like every month) shipped to our arcade, and the kids would be waiting. They'd know which arcade to drive to for version 2.1, or 2.2 etc. Each version had it's own glitches to exploit. We would always be the first one in a 100 mile radius to get the latest verion, and we would watch the BBS's like hawks to see when other people around the country would figure out how to do a move. Then we'd write it down on a paper scrap and race off to try it out. Other kids got wind and some started showing up with paper scraps too. Eventually a few months after we would know all the latest moves, a magazine would publish them. No doubt copying them directly from a BBS. A friend of mine who is a computer genius would sometimes find info a bit earlier than the rest of us. One day he started singing "MK babies" to the tune of "Muppet Babies" to taunt us. It wasn't till later that week that Babalities popped up on a few more BBS's than the obscure one he found it on, and we all found out what he was hinting at.
If I remember correctly, you didn't get to a BBS on the internet. You had to direct dial it with your modem. So you had to know where to go. There weren't search engines and such, and a lot of them charged subscription prices. That's how someone "in the know" could glean info that others wouldn't be privy to.
This is still my favorite rumor from MKII that never came true. It was posted in 1993 in a list of all kinds of legitimate game hints, and seems to have been completely forgotten and never referenced again.

PORTAL: Doing fatality in front of portal (with double
flawless) will let you meet Shokaku Lao in the High Priest Chamber.
You are challenged to fight (easy), and pass the 'test your might'
test; he will then tell you how to defeat Shirastro and make
use of the Flamebolt spell.

THE PIT II; Shirastro: Two fatalities/flawless/no block pressed;
Meet Shirastro, the Fire Daemon. If victorious, you acquire a
new attribute to any character 'Flamebolt' (F-F-HP+LP) to release,
very destructive.

Edited by Kevin Mayle, 09 December 2007 - 11:53 PM.

#53 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:49 AM

Man! That must have been fun! Back then the only Computer I ever saw was at my neighbors house. he had a 5"1/2 floppy drive and like a box full of games! He only let me touch it like once. :lol: Of course that's not counting the computers you would see at stores and the such. I also remember when our school finally got it's first computers in the Library. They had two, and they were hooked up to Netscape. it took forever to get something to load! And it wasn't till the middle school got a bunch of computers that you could use during lunch that I started using it to find cheats and stuff. Those were the good old days. :) So many cool websites were out back then. I even started learning how to make web pages, but I quit.

Posted Image

#54 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 02:23 AM

Actual video of the Dee Jay and Zangief prototypes. (about a minute in)

Edited by Kevin Mayle, 13 December 2007 - 02:26 AM.

#55 mrjayberry

mrjayberry

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 01:50 PM

Yeah! I remember the Ermac thing! I think the first place I ever played the MK arcade was at the airport! That's right the Airport! They used to have a whole little arcade spot for all the kids to play in while the adults did their flight business. I miss the 90's. :D I think it was the same place I first played Primal Rage as well. Or maybe we rented it from BlockBuster.

I still have fond memories of going to the airport to hang out when I was a sophmore or so in high school. That must have been 98 or so. They used to have the best selection of pinball in the entire town I live in.

p.s. I'm trying to avoid this topic because I can't afford to collect these awesome figures :D I do look forward to seeing more collection pics though

#56 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:52 PM

Thanks for the vid Kev. I just wish they would have showed a side shot of DeeJay. I would have liked to see his profile, but you do get to see a more rounded view of them. :D

And MJ, I'm gonna post some new pics as soon as they release the next set.....:D.....At the cost I don't blame you. :woot: I'm just sick addicted to this set. I do wish they could be cheaper though.

On a side note, I was riding down the road the other week, and there was a truck hauling off two of those big old coffee dispenser machines that used to litter airport hallways. :yuck: I thought that was funny, cause It has been nearly 10 years since I last saw one.

Posted Image

#57 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 02:58 AM

You know how I would like Mortal Kombat II figures like the Street Fighter line?
Well this is what they had to say when asked about it in 2006.

"I was wondering if you guys have any other licenses in mind that are in the works, or that you would like to acquire? I love what you've done with the street fighter line-up, and would love to see the same thing done to the mortal kombat.

Well, we definitely are looking into more video game licenses. I don't know if we'll keep going after fighting games as SF was really the pinnacle for us. But we'll just have to see what we actually get off our wish list."

So, if they don't do it, I've seen other companies can. Check out these Tekken 5 prototype figures from X-Plus USA in 2005. They never did come out, but it shows that other companies can make action figures identical to the SOTA SF line.
Posted Image
I've got an X-Plus USA toy. Talos from Jason and the Argonauts.
Posted Image

#58 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 11:52 AM

Aw man! A Tekken series would be so cool. It's too bad it's likely to never happen. :huh: I can honestly say I'd buy Tekken figs of Sota caliber. I kind of wish Sota would have picked up that license instead of darkstalkers. That was one of the games I'd play at the arcade every chance I got. A Walmart in my area had the playable demo up for YEARS!!! I'd sometimes just stop in to play it there, even though I had all of the games at home. I think Tekken would be a glorious contrast to the cartoon like Street Fighter series.

Posted Image

#59 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 05:04 AM

I just realized the character choice and appearance of the SOTA figs seem to be based on Street Fighter Alpha. By the way which SF DVDs do you have? I've got:
SFII The Animated Movie (the best)
The live action Van Damme SF Movie (the worst)
SF Alpha (really good)
SF Alpha Generations (too short and leaves you hanging, needs a Part 2)
SFII V Boxed Set (starts off really good, then as the series progresses it just runs out of steam)
I haven't watched the American cartoon series based on the Van Damme movie.
I'm also disappointed that the new live action film in the works is going to be based on Chun Li searching for her father, and the rest of the characters will just be supporting cast.

#60 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 01:14 PM

Yeah, they have based most off of the Alpha series. I think that's where they get the scale of the characters from as well. Sota promised us a few comparison pics of the next set of test shots with some of the previous round figs, so when they show them I'll post them. :wallbash:

I have the SFII V boxset. Your right, I actually enjoyed it for a good while, but the ending didn't have much too it. I was disappointed in how it ended.

I'm sure I've seen all the other movies and such years ago, but can't remember much about them.

I remember watching the US cartoon a few times, but can't remember more than that.

I havn't looked into the new movie info much, but I'm sure it will be MUCH better than the van damme one. :( Although it's odd that Chun-Li will be the Main character. Sounds like she won't get as much camera time if the other guys will be fighting for the most part of it.

Posted Image

#61 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 02:31 PM

Although it's odd that Chun-Li will be the Main character. Sounds like she won't get as much camera time if the other guys will be fighting for the most part of it.

The writer said he loves female hero stories and that's why he's placing the focus on her instead of Ryu.

#62 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 03:55 PM

For fun I drew a picture of Ryu that changes from his SFII appearance to his SF appearance, to Ken, to Ken's SF Alpha appearance, to Sheng Long, to Akuma, to Shin Akuma.
Posted Image

#63 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 08:03 PM

Haha! That's pretty nifty. :) Wheres Dan and the other gi copycats? :D

Posted Image

#64 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 08:58 PM

Haha! That's pretty nifty. :) Wheres Dan and the other gi copycats? :D

Thanks! I didn't do Dan and Gouken because I don't really like those characters. I guess I should do them for completionists sake. Maybe in the future.

#65 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:45 PM

The latest:
http://www.cooltoyre...rded_111330.asp

#66 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:38 PM

Cool kev! I just read a post that mentioned cards over at the sota boards not 10 minutes ago, but didn't know what they meant. I thought they were putting the figures on backer cards, but this is even better. I havn't gotten a card with an action figure since the X-men/X-force toybiz days. :) Although I would have preferred an extra accessories. I guess they decided to make up for alot of the disappointment with that. Thanks for posting! Do you reckon that the cards they have pictured are the ones that will be inserted?

Posted Image

#67 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:06 AM

Do you reckon that the cards they have pictured are the ones that will be inserted?

I believe so.

#68 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:10 PM

Very first Revolution-1 variant has been listed for Preorder.

http://www.bigbadtoy...amp;mode=retail

A tad pricey for a variant if you ask me. :lol:

Posted Image

#69 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 05:25 PM

The second Revolution-1 Variant has been Put up for a short preorder. Blue Skin Dhalsim variant!

Only 200 preorders available. 100 for the upcoming SDCC, and 100 for shipment after the Comic Con. But I wouldn't be in no hurry. This one is suppose to have 1500 pieces available after all is said and done. :lol:

I think I'll have to preorder this one though. :lol:

http://www.taostoys.com/blog/?cat=14

Posted Image

#70 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:18 PM

Now THAT is a great variant!

#71 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:33 PM

August is a long time to wait for it though....I think that is a tad ridiculous. :o

Posted Image

#72 Czarcher

Czarcher

Ruling Lands Far And Wide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2309 posts
  • Interests:Ultraman,
    Dragon Ball
    Kinnikuman,GPK

Posted 08 February 2008 - 03:03 AM

The second Revolution-1 Variant has been Put up for a short preorder. Blue Skin Dhalsim variant!

Damn ! That figure is Effin sweet !

#73 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:52 PM

UHOH!!! The cat is out of the Bag! And the current remaining 5 Revolution-1 Variants have been revealed! :banana:

http://i.toynewsi.co...b...800&start=0

These things are sick just SICK!!! This is what we got!

Ash Black Dhalsim / Grey Yukata E. Honda (will be a two pack!) Which is fine! Ash Dhalsim is a must have! And since I'm trying to get all the variants out there I'm cool with Honda.

Green Tighty Zangief / Pink R. Mika (will be a two pack as well!) Not to keen on these two, but I really like the Pink R. Mika! I'll probably wait to get this set for cheap after it smells up the shelves for a while. :woot:

Now to the big boys!!

Red/Yellow Yukata E. Honda (Only available from BigBadToyStore.com) I kind of dig the Turbo colors.

Blue Skin Dhalsim (Only available from TaoToys.com) SUPER MUST HAVE!!!! This fig is the Perfect example of a variant!

Mechanized Zangief!!!!!!!!! (HELLS YEAH!!! Only available from CornerStoreComics.com) I suggested this variant over at the Sota boards. And even though I might not have had anything really to do with it....I'd like to think I did. :D I mean they did act like it was a new idea when I mentioned. :M: Ahem... But anyway.. This Crossover variant is Super sweet! And I hope he will turn out as awesome as the photoshopped image leads me to believe. :bunny: I will get this one, and price (as long as it's not too much) will be no object.

Posted Image

#74 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 12:08 AM

Thanks URS! I don't buy the variants, but a few of these are making me want to change my policy.

#75 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 06:33 PM

Mecha Zangief is up for Preorder now. They had to change the actual name to Metal Zangief for some strange legal reason. :blush:. Some things are just too stupid to make sense. I'm even wondering if he will look anything like the mock up pic.

http://cornerstoreco...om/af_sfr1.html

Edited by Universal Ruler Supreme, 17 April 2008 - 06:37 PM.

Posted Image

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com