71 replies to this topic

#1 Mayumi

Mayumi

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 12:17 PM

Has everyone gone through their figures and found the g1 counterparts to the new g2 1.5 figures? I hadn't done so until yesterday and found more similarities than I expected. I'll try to get some pictures up later if no one else beats me to it.

As for the characters in the g2 sets that don't have g1 counterparts, were they all featured in the older japanese toylines?

#2 Mayumi

Mayumi

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 06:45 AM

Sorry I haven't gotten pictures up yet- troubles with my digital camera.

#3 Mayumi

Mayumi

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 07:04 AM

Here is my first pic

Attached Files

#4 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 07:27 AM

akuma shogun is better than most of the g1 legends in the g2 line... his legs are still pretty short in proportion...
the robinmask is so horrible. hell, after looking at the old ones, any of the new g1 characters make me sick.
i think they should have made the new ones in the old scale...
(i like that we have the ones we have, though...)

#5 Drtooth

Drtooth

germaphobe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 08:44 AM

the robinmask is so horrible. hell, after looking at the old ones, any of the new g1 characters make me sick.
i think they should have made the new ones in the old scale...
(i like that we have the ones we have, though...)

Couldn't agree with you more... The Robin Mask is definately inconsistant with the Kevin Mask. Robin looks like a frikkin' toothpick, and Kevin looks pretty good....
Posted Image

#6 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 08:55 AM

i saw the bandai commercial this morning, at about 7:00am...
they need to quit wasting time making G1 legends sculpts we hate, and give us those painted re-release figures.
i feel a tantrum comin' on...

#7 AmoiMan

AmoiMan

Garlic Energized

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1614 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 08:56 AM

i feel like they just shouldn't have g1 characters in the g2 line at all......
it's obvious they can't do a good job of it...
Posted Image

#8 Drtooth

Drtooth

germaphobe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 08:59 AM

i feel like they just shouldn't have g1 characters in the g2 line at all......
it's obvious they can't do a good job of it...

I think they should have more Legends characters, just as long as they don't make them midgety, or they rerelease ones made in Japan only.

Of course, Meat is the only one who actually has the same aspect ration in size.....
Posted Image

#9 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 09:04 AM

i just want to see the painted kinkishi re-release figures. they're in the commercial... i'll bet they get released in 3-packs like in japan. other that that, i agree...
keep the g2 packs generation 2.
word.
:lol:

#10 ApplianceMan

ApplianceMan

Always on Liquify

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 05:47 PM

The only thing wrong with Robin Mask is that his head is too big. Do you really want them to start making thin bodies and tiny heads? It would be like little green army men if they were all correctly proportioned. If you ask me, bigger is better. You get more plastic for your buck with the new sculpts (minus inflation). If I had to vote between Ultimate Muscle proportions and those sexist female action figures with legs that are somehow larger than the entire figure, I'd vote Muscle. If I had to vote between MUSCLE and UM, I'd vote UM. Face it, too many of the MUSCLES look alike. Except for the weird figures, only a couple of guys have cartoon proportions... and they should, shouldn't they? The characters aren't as inventive with G2 so far, but the poses definately are more interesting than guy-with-arms-spread. I don't really even know which new figures are "legends," but if they looked exactly like MUSCLES, there would really be no point to them. It seems to me that people asking for more faithful sculpts should look again at Robin Mask and realize he's the only one they really tried to do like the old ones... so they should just stop.

#11 Mayumi

Mayumi

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 07:23 PM

Another pic

Attached Files

#12 Mayumi

Mayumi

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 06:14 AM

Today's pic

Attached Files

#13 Mystery Mask

Mystery Mask

Captain Americat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 12:37 PM

I personally like G2 Legends though I'm probably the only one. ^_^
Posted Image
Just when you think it's safe to go back on the internet...

!!!DRAGON BALL CENTRAL!!!

Now with UM Series 1-5, 8 of 10 CCG Sculpts, and 6.5" Figures!

#14 Warlock13

Warlock13

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 12:41 PM

I really don't like any of the generation 2 sculpts. I saw some cools one's from Japan that look just like old muscle we need these in the states.

#15 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 12:48 PM

Well, it's not like MUSCLEs were realistically proportioned, either. They had oversized torsos and arms, and their legs were too short. But I don't mind that... it gives the toys a certain character.

Ultimate Muscle toys are just as abstractly proportioned, just in a different area: their heads are too big. But I don't mind that either.

I like the fact that MUSCLEs and UMs are different. They both have a different feel, yet also feel like they are related. I would like UMs to have the same proportions as MUSCLEs, but frankly, I like their differences just as much.

-Nathan

#16 Rokk

Rokk

Alton Brown's Evil Twin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 12:57 PM

I guess I'm in the minority, but I like the G2 figures. Sure there are a couple I think are lame (Robin Mask), but overall I like them. I think the cartoonish look of the figures is pretty cool.

I agree with Nathan in that I am glad that the G1 and G2 figures look different. That way I can enjoy them both for their own unique reasons. The UM figures are not merely some stale re-hash of figures put out almost 20 years ago. They have their own flavor with enough similarities to the G1 figures to pay tribute to their origins.

#17 Drtooth

Drtooth

germaphobe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 01:38 PM

I'll meet you all midway. I mean, they're all abstract anyway. I mean, Large head small bodies can be good looking (Kid Muscle, Specialman Jr, Kanukler, Terry the Kid, Boaconda, and Kevin Mask to name a few) but somethy just look goofy (Bufalloman, Robin Mask, etc.) I mean, if they were a little more consitant ( giving Robin a slightly bigger head, and shorter legs, but a bigger body) I'd have no problems.

Then again, dispite not having them the first time (though I swore I did), they are making new figs of old characters (case in point, they're aged. Ramenman and Terryman both have wrinkles) instead of rerelasing some that people may have hundreds of already...

To tell you the truth I like these things quite a bit. They should put slightly more care into the next batch, sure, but their pretty good, and I will buy them even if they are not on sale!
Posted Image

#18 ApplianceMan

ApplianceMan

Always on Liquify

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 01:57 PM

I think Buffalo Man looks great. There's a lot of detail in there. Plus, one aspect people seem to be overlooking is that the G2 figures can actually WRESTLE! Try locking anyone in Buffalo Man's horns in the MUSCLE line. Good luck. How great would it be if that yellow Hydrazoa preview we've all seen was just a regular figure, not from a posed set? If they posed all the figures so they could wrestle with each other, not just a specific figure, they'd be so much better. You wouldn't even need those cheap plastic arms to smash them into each other in the wrestling ring like you had to with all the MUSCLE figures who are just standing there going "take my picture!"

#19 Drtooth

Drtooth

germaphobe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 02:06 PM

Not saying that Buffaloman sucked... no! ! I like the figure, it's proportions are just wonky. I like all the figs so far, and the only disappointment for me is that so far there is only one Meat figure (three Blood Killer guys, and he was defeateed at the end of the first episode!!!) well, that and the color varients. I like color varients, but I am more interrested in collecting pose varients and characters!
Posted Image

#20 AmoiMan

AmoiMan

Garlic Energized

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1614 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 03:11 PM

Plus, one aspect people seem to be overlooking is that the G2 figures can actually WRESTLE!

I TOTALLY disagree.....i tried making the new figures wrestle (not including the posed ones, cause they're just stupid, since they only do one thing), and i found they were very awkwardly positioned for effective fighting. I find the old ones much more conducive to a fun "playtime," as their poses are much more universal, and adaptable to whatever I want them to be doing.
Posted Image

#21 Mayumi

Mayumi

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 03:15 PM

As some others have said, I do like the G2 figures, but in a different way. If playability is a concern G2 are a bit better; they really are more wrestle ready. At least they aren't all as super deformed as some of the capsule and candy toy versions that are sprining up.

And another pic

Attached Files

#22 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 03:43 PM

it's just the scale that i hate. i love that they are painting the figures now, and that they have all sorts of crazy poses... they just look like kids with their heads all huge like that.
aside from the scale being off, i think they should make all of the figures in all of the colors. like the new yellow jade, i'd love to see him in blue, and so on and so forth. i'd love that... make them all in flesh, too.

eh, but enough critisism from me.
there is a lot i do like about the figures...

#23 ApplianceMan

ApplianceMan

Always on Liquify

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 07:16 PM

Oh man, nothing could be worse than having all the figures in all the colors. I like that there's 10 of each, and that the only duplicates are the fleshies. And some of the heads are too large, but if you don't compare them to the originals, you don't notice so much. I like the new Buffalo Man's hair better. He looks less like a Brady.

#24 kinder muscle

kinder muscle

Decepticon.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 07:36 PM

I guess I'm in the minority, but I like the G2 figures.

dude me to i love them i really like the new ramen man
Of all the things I've lost I think I miss my mind the most.

#25 Kinnikux

Kinnikux

Devil Ashuraman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 08:25 PM

There is something about the new ramenman I dont like....he seems just too small or something. As far as most of the g2 guys, I love em. I mean the tel tel boy, max man, and rex king all are bad arse. As for robin mask and warsman, worst sculpts ever. I still have not found the new sets...but they look like they have some awesome figs. I mean the new ones will never be up there with the classic muscles...nothing can top them in my book, but G2 muscles are still pretty cool. I would like them even more if they were all flesh, but I am just thankful to have new kinnikuman toys in the US.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com