133 replies to this topic

#76 Ralph

Ralph

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:05 AM

deadbeet is clearly in the same tool as the rest of series 2 figures - the 1K extra on the last kickstarter goal, i guess, was making up for that to being accomplished and now people that pledged on series 2 are paying all time extra when they want a deadbeet? OT gets this toy made for free all the time they do a run of colors, it's wicked. Though it's somehow something not that unusual to have something sprinkled into a mold when somebody gives you money to produce a toy BUT this is all the pledgers money. I liked the first series' deal where it was made clear to where the money goes and it was not a George solo show, lol.
I imagine all other color variants of Zombie Pheyden will be getting sold via OTMF? OR Matt himself on his Onell page but i don't think he'll runs out to the PO for 2$ orders. We'll see.

well, i gonna submit KURI's lil BUFF KURI (still needs some cleanup and a lil bowtie in the hair)
Posted Image

#77 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:12 AM

deadbeet is clearly in the same tool as the rest of series 2 figures - the 1K extra on the last kickstarter goal, i guess, was making up for that to being accomplished and now people that pledged on series 2 are paying all time extra when they want a deadbeet? OT gets this toy made for free all the time they do a run of colors, it's wicked. Though it's somehow something not that unusual to have something sprinkled into a mold when somebody gives you money to produce a toy BUT this is all the pledgers money. I liked the first series' deal where it was made clear to where the money goes and it was not a George solo show, lol.

Taking advantage of people has been the precedent that they have set there. This isn't really anything new. It sucks.

#78 Ralph

Ralph

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:42 AM

yeah, it's nothing new, and it's weird how people on OT forum are not really questioning it.

like there could be an option that says 'pay 1500$ to have your figure tooled up and get 300 flesh versions of it' but here it would be made too easy for everybody and i can see the stop sign that says 'sorry, George Gaspar sculpts only' :crazy:

#79 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:49 AM

yeah, it's nothing new, and it's weird how people on OT forum are not really questioning it.

like there could be an option that says 'pay 1500$ to have your figure tooled up and get 300 flesh versions of it' but here it would be made too easy for everybody and i can see the stop sign that says 'sorry, George Gaspar sculpts only' :crazy:

I really don't get why most people on OT don't question it. A lot of people here stopped questioning it, because they're just tired of listening to George insult them while watching him sanctimoniously prattle on. I'd love to support other artist, especially in them making toys that I would want to play with... However, that isn't what's happening, and the only person I would be supporting by proxy, would be George.

I'd rather support Luke Harris and Nama Niku, to be frank.

#80 iwao

iwao

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1481 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:15 AM

I think most people just look at their pledges as paying for the figures they get in return, not like a donation that helps get the figures created to begin with, so that's why not many question it.

And yeah, the message is coming across pretty clear lately that George wants to sculpt every figure if the designer isn't also a sculptor. Not a surprise, but I can see it turning off the sculptors that want to collaborate with other artists.

#81 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

I can see it turning off the sculptors that want to collaborate with other artists.

Bingo.

#82 PlasticSoul

PlasticSoul

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2786 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

What i found interesting are the new rules about submissions not being allowed either their own name or the artists name on the actual submission. I can see lots of the pun based figures being really confusing once the voting process starts but it should lead to more votes based on design rather then witty naming.

#83 iwao

iwao

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1481 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

Yeah, no names on the submissions could be confusing to the newcomers that sign up to vote and didn't follow the design discussion thread. Somebody looking at a design like Deadbeet without a name might not get it. I wonder what would've happened with something like Fruit Punch where the name is on the figure.

I thought the total amount pledged would decrease when Onell announced a drop the same day OMFG would fund. I guess the Glyos nuts that pledged still want their black Zombie Pheydens. It looks like it has enough cushion to fund even if some people back out.

Edited by iwao, 18 April 2013 - 03:24 PM.

#84 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:43 PM

Myself, I think it's great if they can get one more figure out of the mold.

As far as the Kickstarter goes, I look at my pledge as being a pre-order. That is pretty much it. If I get freebies along with it, great!

Any profit they make from the Kickstarter is just that, profit. If they make enough to pay for an additional mold cavity and additional figure per run, then great.

The extra figure isn't "free" to them. They have to pay for the cavity and they have to pay for the 6th figure from the mold. Whether they get the the money to pay for that from the profit from extra Kickstarter pledges or OMFG sales after the fact, it really doesn't matter, it still has to be paid for by them.

This Kickstarter will probably hit $16000 or so. Assuming $16000, right off the top you have $1600 (10%) approximately to Kickstarter and Amazon Payments.
That leaves $14,400 to have the mold cut, 900-1200 sets produced, packaged and shipped to them. Just to give you an idea of costs, it costs about $100 to have 200 sets shipped from George in southern California to me in Northern California. Multiple that by 5 and increase the factor for international shipping (which is absurdly high these days).

Based on what I know about the costs to get a mold cut and figures produced, I don't see them making very much margin on this. Really, I don't.

Lastly, if they hit $10k or $20k, it is the same ratio of pledge dollars to figures. The only thing that becomes progressively cheaper the more you produce is the per figure average cost for the mold.
Injection costs, plastic costs, labor costs, shipping costs, per set, all remain the same for each set they produce. And based on the way the dollar is devaluing, I'm not surprised that these costs have gone up every year. Look at how much it costs you to fill up your car these days? PVC uses oil. So if oil goes up in dollars, so does the cost of plastic, the cost of shipping, etc.

#85 redjarojam

redjarojam

Taco Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

What i found interesting are the new rules about submissions not being allowed either their own name or the artists name on the actual submission. I can see lots of the pun based figures being really confusing once the voting process starts but it should lead to more votes based on design rather then witty naming.

Yeah the remove of figure name or artist name is surprising and reminds me of a post about series 3 from a blog that seems didicated to OMFG bashing haha.

Knockingdowntoys

Maybe George saw the comment about Barbarianaut?

#86 Metalmonkey

Metalmonkey

Ironhaus apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • Interests:Collecting/making/talking about LRGs.

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:43 AM

What happened to "made for the community, by the community"?? George has clearly taken over and sucked the fun out of it.
It should be called Only Made For George. Everything In house sculpted, eff off.

With Deadbeat, it feels like it was being made in secrecy funded by the backers of series 2 who were unawares.
It would explain the annual price hikes... How many figures are being slipped into series 3 mold, I wonder.
So, George can handpick whoever he wants. He calls the shots, no vote. And the circle jerk gets a +1.

And really, what's the point even questioning the guy anymore? It's like :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Edited by Metalmonkey, 19 April 2013 - 01:44 AM.

bannerfans20blog2015.jpgbanner2015_1.jpg

#87 iwao

iwao

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1481 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:37 AM

Yeah the remove of figure name or artist name is surprising and reminds me of a post about series 3 from a blog that seems didicated to OMFG bashing haha.

Whoever writes that blog reads LRG. Comrade is the one that said in this thread that Dr. Decay's limbs are too thin.

#88 TheWatcher

TheWatcher

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:46 AM

Whoever writes that blog reads LRG. Comrade is the one that said in this thread that Dr. Decay's limbs are too thin.

I actually agree with a lot of what that guy on that blog says. I wouldn't be as blunt but it's the same feeling.

WELL OMFG 3 got funded. I know I am going to catch a lot of heat for this post but I'm disappointed it did. My OPINION is that it sends a bad message now that "you can have family, friends and farm votes from people who don't even go to these forums or possibly even collect toys" to get your idea made a reality. It's amazing how many new accounts were created in the voting for OMFG 3 and it was allowed. If OMFG had at least failed ppl would get the clue just because a submission gets into OMFG doesn't mean it's automatically going to be made. I feel future bad submissions will probably get voted in much the same way and awesome ideas will just be a thing of the past. Get ready for more stupid pun or clever name figures instead of true bad-ass designs like Multiskull or Phantom outhouse.

#89 iwao

iwao

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1481 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

WELL OMFG 3 got funded. I know I am going to catch a lot of heat for this post but I'm disappointed it did. My OPINION is that it sends a bad message now that "you can have family, friends and farm votes from people who don't even go to these forums or possibly even collect toys" to get your idea made a reality. It's amazing how many new accounts were created in the voting for OMFG 3 and it was allowed. If OMFG had at least failed ppl would get the clue just because a submission gets into OMFG doesn't mean it's automatically going to be made. I feel future bad submissions will probably get voted in much the same way and awesome ideas will just be a thing of the past. Get ready for more stupid pun or clever name figures instead of true bad-ass designs like Multiskull or Phantom outhouse.

That's why I think OMFG will eventually go away and it will be George picking designs he wants to sculpt and releasing them as OTMF. He was the first to say something like, "I hope everyone else is spreading the word about the voting as much as ZombieThor." Then he changed a lot of things about the pug design for the sculpt, so maybe he didn't like it any more than most people here did. He has said before that a crap figure won't get made just because it gets voted in, but there is so much hate for the figure that got the most votes that people aren't buying it.

Dr. Decay and the bonus zombie Pheydens are worth the pledge to me. I want to keep having a cheap option of getting some cool minis in PVC. The price of OMFG is so low that I don't have to like more than 2 or 3 figures for the set to be worth it, and I'll still probably buy them in 7 or 8 different colors, just not 20.

#90 TheWatcher

TheWatcher

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

OTMF I can get behind. Although then it's still one person's tastes we are subjected to. Up until the voting for OMFG 3, I felt things were ok. I honestly don't want OMFG to go away. I just can't stand shenanigans when it comes to the voting and then it being allowed. That was a major misstep for OMFG. To date I have bought everything OMFG has released. I liked the line that much, but it just seems like the line is veering towards a designer type of feel now. I believe once you open a door and walk through it, it sets a precedent. I don't like the precedents OMFG is setting right now. I am arguing from a purely philosophical perspective, no malice intended. The submissions look way better for 4. I hope things improve and some of the mistakes from the past are fixed.

I just wish collectors were not such a wishy-washy bunch. To me it seems like they are willing to be shat upon as long as it means they still get their toy fix. OMFG 3 to me is the weakest release to date. It could have been way better. Collectors are so afraid that if OMFG 3 fails to get funded that there would be no 4. So they are willing to fund something even tho they don't like what they are funding just to get to the next kick starter. How will things ever get better if ppl just settle for the status quo all the time? That's why I did not support this time and I won't. It's my message even tho' I may be the only one. Heck maybe I am the Only one that feels like this and I'm just nuts, haha. :teehee:

#91 iwao

iwao

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1481 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

You're definitely not the only one. Lots of people have been vocal about not backing S3. I think Dr. Decay saved S3 for a lot of people and the bonus figure helped too.

The thing about the voting is that open public voting was one of the main ideas behind the line to begin with. If they make the voting exclusive in some way, then OMFG isn't what it was originally intended to be anymore. There will always be newcomers signing up when it's time to vote because the voting is mentioned on just about every toy blog out there now.

A lot of designs that are submitted are puns or just some variation of an eye monster, or both like EyePod and Bull's Eye, but Fruit Punch is really the only pun to get voted in. I don't see designs getting voted in just on a clever name.

#92 bigazzhead

bigazzhead

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts
  • Interests:Mini Figure interests:
    Monster in my Pocket
    Megaman/Rockman
    Dragon Ball
    Dragon Quest
    Old Nintendo
    Gegege no Kitaro
    general monster keshi
    Ghostbusters
    Zombie related stuff
    and anything cool. (yeah I know pretty vague)

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

Knockingdowntoys

Maybe George saw the comment about Barbarianaut?

Wow it looks like that blog was made just to knock on OMFG. I can agree with some things the poster says but at the same time it just seems like a kid throwing a tantrum.

#93 scythemantis

scythemantis

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:09 PM

Aw, shucks, I know I haven't been on LRG in a while but I had to post just to say thanks for 90% of you saying my submission is one of the best of series 3. To be honest Dr. Decay was a character I already had and submitted last minute on a whim, which I think got in by sheer dumb luck after George sculpted him on a whim.

Still proud though, a mass produced toy of something I've drawn has been a dream since I was a kid and never happened before!

I hadn't payed that much attention to voting to notice anything fishy going on, but I know a lot of people were mad about Pugnacious, either not backing this set or quitting entirely. Now more people are quitting over weird vote stuff in S4.

Edited by scythemantis, 20 May 2013 - 11:14 PM.

#94 imperfecz

imperfecz

Götter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4302 posts
  • Interests:stuff n stuff

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:39 PM

Not quite 'mass produced", but plenty of us on the board can realize your work in rubber or resin for ya..... and more than plenty have said you should have your own line.....

#95 scythemantis

scythemantis

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:43 PM

Aw! People are always welcome to sculpt stuff based on my scribblings!

I've actually been seriously considering putting together a kickstarter sometime for something toy-related one of these days. Maybe my friends and I could run it a little smoother than OMFG, and forego the community voting aspect....I mean, yeah,  giving fans input is awesome, but the drama that comes with it is insane.

When I get to thinking about that, though, my mind goes a little crazy with ideas :(

Edited by scythemantis, 21 May 2013 - 04:02 PM.

#96 Metalmonkey

Metalmonkey

Ironhaus apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:03 PM

Dr.decay is def my favourite from series 3, and was a no-brainer vote really.
I wish your mermaid character gets sculpted, I think we all agree its better than the other mermaid sculpt floating around OT.
You should totally do your own line of figures man. :)

#97 GoreVidalMeaty

GoreVidalMeaty

Trojan Trebuchet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Toyfinity, Wrangler jeans, MIMP ALL series,
    M.U.S.C.L.E. Things and the mighty ARCO Red Lizardman.

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:01 AM

I am reading thru this and agreeing with some of it but If it doesn't get funded this line won't see a series 4 or 5 that you guys are waiting on... Ill agree Series 1 is awesome, series 2 couldn't hold a candle to it... And series 3 has a few hits and misses... I think the reason it doesn't really match to series one is the material used to make them is different I just feel the quality of the product is different and really turns off prospective buyers...

wholeheartedly agree.  Series 1 was awesome and the "toxic" plastics used for Series 2 is what turned me off.  Shame, as i do like the different characters, but even now at my desk at work I SMELL them!!! 

Attached File  OMFG 2 point 1 photo (76).JPG   120.61K   29 downloads

#98 Metalmonkey

Metalmonkey

Ironhaus apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:02 PM

Yeah, these figures pong alright.

#99 PimpNugget

PimpNugget

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:49 AM

wholeheartedly agree.  Series 1 was awesome and the "toxic" plastics used for Series 2 is what turned me off.  Shame, as i do like the different characters, but even now at my desk at work I SMELL them!!! 

attachicon.gifOMFG 2 point 1 photo (76).JPG

If it is the same smell as Glyos figures, IT IS AWESOME!!!

I don't have S2 so I have no idea how they smell.

Dude, you make me laugh.......at you.

#100 luke314pi

luke314pi

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:11 PM

Luke's Toy Store is happy to announce that we are offering OMFG! Series 3 in our exclusive metallic gold just like we did with Series 1 and 2! I wanted to do something fun with this series, so each order will also include a trading card with artwork by yours truly:

card03_final_s_zpsbda63dcd.jpg

I wanted to come up with a story that would place all of these characters in the same room. I decided that Dr. Decay would be the ruler of a kingdom, with Barbarianaut and Pugnacious as his guards and Fruit Punch as his royal adviser. TenCan comes from a far away land, bearing gifts of gold for the king. :)

You can preorder Series 3 by itself, or as a combo with Series 2 at a discounted price: http://lukestoystore.../other-figures/

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com