7 replies to this topic

#1 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:01 AM

MutantArena-BattleRoyale.png

Hey look, Mutant Mania has a playset! MUSCLE had an arena, too... in fact, they seem remarkably similar in a few ways. The Rampage Arena is a wonderfully huge wrestling ring, complete with a stage and to sets of stairs. It's got action features! Exclusive dudes! And fun! It's also almost $40, which isn't too bad for something of this size, but worth a look, anyway.

MutantArena-Packaged.png

The box artwork is really awesome. Like, really cool and awesome. Notice how it actually includes the figures' rubber spines, too.

MutantArena-EmptyRing.png

When stripped of all its accessories, the arena is exactly what it says on the tin - a wrestling arena sized for 2" figures. It is a little larger than some toy rings, but it is what it is. Those ropes are elastic and fastened to removable posts, though the knot will be unfortunately visible regardless of what you do. See those big holes on the side? They have a purpose!

MutantArena-RingLevers.png

Just as the MUSCLE arena had a lever-and-clamp mechanism to hold figures up and have them duke it out, so does the Rampage Arena. You can insert the massive posts and their complex lever mechanisms in at any time (and remove them, as well) for the "battle" feature. With the press of a button, you can send an "arm" roceting forward, or twist it side-to-side to let the front platform flop around.

MutantArena-SumoVsRockDude.png

Mutant Mania figures plug really securely on the foot pegs, so you can whip them around pretty violently.

MutantArena-SumoWins.png

Sometimes one will get thrown off, and sometimes the loser will just fly apart, but the system is pretty secure (certainly better than the MUSCLE breakable clamps).

MutantArena-RockDudeWins.png

I tested it a few times, and found that yes, those pegs are secure. It's actually a fun little game rather than a pure afterthought, so kudos on that. And now that you've had a look at them, let's discuss the two exclusive wrestlers!

MutantArena-Sumo.png

This is Sumo, though I swear he looks just like Blinky from the Simpsons. Sumo is the biggest Mutant Mania figure, as his torso is pretty wide and tall. He actually stretches the rubber spines out a little bit.

MutantArena-RockDude.png

And this fellow is Rock Dude, who looks a lot rockier on the box art. It should be noted that, although one figure will always be orange and the other purple, there is a paint variant - about half of the time, Sumo is purple and Rock Dude is orange. I went with this color scheme because it's the one on the box.

MutantArena-Stage.png

Next up is the stage! Along with the stage proper, you also get two staircases/launchers, which can be plugged into swivel joints on the edges of the stage itself.

MutantArena-Steps.png

The stairs are covered in footpegs, as you can see. There is a trigger that flips the blue step as well, functioning as a catapult. The idea is to fling your mutant wrestlers into the ring, though you will need excellent aim for that.

MutantArena-ClosedDoors.png

The stage itself has a nice little "replay" picture that is oddly unrelated to the two wresters included with the ring itself. Odd, eh?

MutantArena-OpenDoors.png

The door can BURST open revealing a wrestler! That's an awesome little thing, and it helps add some more play to the set. Now we just need theme music for these guys.

MutantArena-Drawer.png

It also has a drawer underneath the ring. Said drawer has way too little space to store figures (four? really?), but contains a rack for spare spines. And believe me, you will have spare spines.

MutantArena-OnStage.png

The final verdict? It appeals to my diorama sense, and I'm glad to have another wrestling ring for photography, even though it has a pretty specific brand name sticker on it. The play features all work well, the game is fun, the two included figures are extremely cool, and this should really appeal to anybody who already likes the Mutant Mania line. It also supports my theory that Moose is directly trying to ape MUSCLE.

Edited by Ridureyu, 17 October 2014 - 10:06 AM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 TanRnet

TanRnet

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E., Battle Beasts, Army Ants, The Real Ghostbusters, and most movies/music/games from the 80s.

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:04 PM

Very cool to see and good review. Saw this huge box at TRU and definitely see the muscle comparisons.

#3 SubwayRats

SubwayRats

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:45 PM

When I saw this I dug it as well , not a fan of the price. It's not a bad price, I'm just cheap.

#4 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 19 October 2014 - 07:16 AM

Wow its like muscle with weaker sculpts. Spine idea is neat though, and Sumo/Simpsons fish guy is rad. of course he'd be a set exclusive :)

Edited by bachamn, 19 October 2014 - 07:17 AM.

#5 bigazzhead

bigazzhead

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts
  • Interests:Mini Figure interests:
    Monster in my Pocket
    Megaman/Rockman
    Dragon Ball
    Dragon Quest
    Old Nintendo
    Gegege no Kitaro
    general monster keshi
    Ghostbusters
    Zombie related stuff
    and anything cool. (yeah I know pretty vague)

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:26 AM

I was actually watching the cartoon network over the weekend and saw a commercial for these buggers.  I might have to pick up an arena when there is a sale.

#6 BBShockwave

BBShockwave

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 12:40 PM

The photos are not showing up for some reason...

#7 whywing

whywing

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:MWOTR, RotB, OMFG, OTMFG, Glyos, Mordles, Minimates, Star Wars, Marvel

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:21 PM

I nabbed one of these when they were on sale at TRU for 50% off. not a bad little play set, the drawer should open more to reveal two more openings for storage. Still not a lot of space for storage, but not unreasonable either. 

#8 Jesse

Jesse

They should really get a breathalyzer on thi site

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1051 posts
  • Interests:Fistful of power, Universe of violence and random odds and ends...

Posted 25 March 2015 - 03:24 AM

Wow cool review man! The purple guy is pretty damn sweet lookin :D

Also nice added feature is the stands really and the whole spine system is pretty cool too! Hoping moose doesnt kill this line too fast haha...

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com