#1 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:40 AM

http://nerditis.com/...-megami-tensei/

MotherHarlot.png

Content Warning:  There's gonna be some discussion of a modern-day prominent religion in a format differing from the usual online treatment of these points.  Please don't be offended.

In my time running Life In Plastic, I admit that I have kind of used the column as a bully pulpit to go on about mythology, 'cause there are mythology toys. I have discussed demonsdeitiessigns of the ZodiacJapanese Yokai, and all sorts of other things. So today, I'm stumbling onto something pretty big: BIBLICAL PROPHECY. Or rather, "I found out about this figure, couldn't believe that somebody made it, and AHAHAHAHA IT'S A TOY OF THE WHORE OF BABYLON!!!!!"

MotherHarlot-MysteryBabylonTheGreat.png

FULL DISCLOSURE: I am protestant Christian, and pretty faithful and active. I generally keep it out of my toy reviews because... well, they're toy reviews. Also, I'm good at discussing things in person, but rotten online, and I try to keep myself out of situations where I would act like a jackass. But see, the subject matter of this one is based on my home turf, so to speak. I'm not going to be preachy in an inappropriate way (again: toy column), but to be frank, I'm gonna treat Revelation like it's inspired Scripture. And yes, I know that some folks are sharpening their typing fingers, ready to "defeat" me with massive atheism... and other people are sharpening their typing fingers, ready to assault me with "Your eschatology is wrong! You're not MY kind of Christian!" C'mon, be civil. If you want to debate or discuss, contact me privately and friendly-like, mmkay? If you just don't want to read religious stuff, then look at the first few and last paragraphs of this for toy stuff.  I clearly mark it.  Thanks. Okay, back to the toy.

MotherHarlot-HerCupWasFilled.png

Mother Harlot comes from the Shin Megami Tensei game series, which uses stuff from EVERY religion and mythology, because in Japan, they don't feel offended at stuff. Seriously. YHWH is one of the "monsters", and... yeah. Meanwhile, there are a few figures of some of the monsters - this one was made by FuRya, and is solid (not hollow) vinyl, in roughly 5" scale (if the Harlot were standing, she'd be 4 1/2"), and comes in afew pieces - the wings, tail, and Harlot are removable, though her cup is not, unfortunately - that's a fragility point. It usually retails for like $60-$70, but I found mine for under half that, Under half! So, let's look at the passage in question - Revelation 17 and 18 are where the infamous Whore of Babylon makes her appearance. The relevant parts of 18 basically just say "She's gonna get judged, as will all the nations who followed her! Repent!(summary)," the meat of the description is in 17. Here it is in the New International Version:

MotherHarlot-WhoreOfBabylon.png

One of the seven angels who had the seven bowls came and said to me, “Come, I will show you the punishment of the great prostitute, who sits by many waters. 2 With her the kings of the earth committed adultery, and the inhabitants of the earth were intoxicated with the wine of her adulteries.”

3 Then the angel carried me away in the Spirit into a wilderness. There I saw a woman sitting on a scarlet beast that was covered with blasphemous names and had seven heads and ten horns. 4 The woman was dressed in purple and scarlet, and was glittering with gold, precious stones and pearls. She held a golden cup in her hand, filled with abominable things and the filth of her adulteries. 5 The name written on her forehead was a mystery:

BABYLON THE GREAT

THE MOTHER OF PROSTITUTES

AND OF THE ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH

6 I saw that the woman was drunk with the blood of God’s holy people, the blood of those who bore testimony to Jesus.

When I saw her, I was greatly astonished. 7 Then the angel said to me: “Why are you astonished? I will explain to you the mystery of the woman and of the beast she rides, which has the seven heads and ten horns. 8 The beast, which you saw, once was, now is not, and yet will come up out of the Abyss and go to its destruction. The inhabitants of the earth whose names have not been written in the book of life from the creation of the world will be astonished when they see the beast, because it once was, now is not, and yet will come.

9 “This calls for a mind with wisdom. The seven heads are seven hills on which the woman sits. 10 They are also seven kings. Five have fallen, one is, the other has not yet come; but when he does come, he must remain for only a little while. 11 The beast who once was, and now is not, is an eighth king. He belongs to the seven and is going to his destruction.

12 “The ten horns you saw are ten kings who have not yet received a kingdom, but who for one hour will receive authority as kings along with the beast. 13 They have one purpose and will give their power and authority to the beast. 14 They will wage war against the Lamb, but the Lamb will triumph over them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings—and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers.”

15 Then the angel said to me, “The waters you saw, where the prostitute sits, are peoples, multitudes, nations and languages. 16 The beast and the ten horns you saw will hate the prostitute. They will bring her to ruin and leave her naked; they will eat her flesh and burn her with fire. 17 For God has put it into their hearts to accomplish his purpose by agreeing to hand over to the beast their royal authority, until God’s words are fulfilled. 18 The woman you saw is the great city that rules over the kings of the earth.”

MotherHarlot-BeastfromtheSea.png

Okay. There have been lots of interpretations of this - literal Rome (seven heads = seven hills = seven hills of Rome), or the Roman Catholic Church, or a whole host of other things. Also of note is that the Scarlet Beast looks exactly like the "Beast from the Sea" earlier - i.e. The Beast i.e. The Antichrist.

MotherHarlot-TheScarletBeast.png

The Beast has been interpreted in a bajillion ways - maybe a committee, or one guy, or the UN, or the EU, or a bunch of religions, or who knows what. This is a running theme in Jewish prophecy - it's hard to figure out until later, when it makes sense. Daniel has the famous Alexander the Great prophecy, which looks like it's about goats and super-long horns, but it matches Alexander's career and his successors.

MotherHarlot-BurnHerWithFire.png

So, some people have argued that the Beast the Harlot sits on is different from the other one because its color is different and because it's described separately, but to be honest, I'm 99.9% certain they are meant to be the same symbol.

MotherHarlot-ComeUpOutOfTheAbyss.png

See, this has to do with the genre of literature that Revelation falls into - Jewish Apocalyptic Literature. Ancient Jewish prophecy is a thing that existed for a while. There are several examples in the Bible, and a veritable boatload of them outside of it, too. When ancient Jews wrote prophecy, they followed certain literary rules. So did lots of early Christians. The genre died out at roughly the time that JErusalem fell in AD 70. But in the two millennia since, we've sort of had to rediscover these other works of literature via archeology, as well as commentaries talking about them. And we have input our own modern, western, white-honky perspectives into them. And look, guys. It's cool being in America, but we WHITE AMERICAN DUDES do not have the same mentality as ANCIENT HEBREWS. We dont think in the same way. This isn't always an issue, but when it is (see also: Biblical geneologies), it is significant. Jewish Apocalyptic Prophecy is a huge biggie, because frankly, it's not written in ways we are used to. Concerning the Beast Vs. Beast...

MotherHarlot-CastIntoHell.png

Jewish Apocalypticism tended to repeat the same events or illustrations multiple times, only changing some stuff around to make a point. They would even swap chronology - the source of the big rapture debate is the fact that one passage says "The righteous are taken, and the wicked left behind," another says "the wicked are taken, and the righteous left behind," and ANOTHER says, "They are all taken." But going by the rules of Jewish Apocalyptic Literature, this is all totally normal - one illustration emphasizes that the righteous are taken. Another judgement. yet another the eventual fate of us all. Prophecy isn't meant to be treated as a straight-up historical timeline. So what if one beast is red and the other isn't? The Scarlet Beast, who in every other way is identical to the main Beast, has a big prostitute sitting on him. And what's the color associated with prostitutes? Red. And that's why he's red, folks!

MotherHarlot-EternalFire.png

And confusing the issue more is the fact that a lot of apocalyptic prophecy relates things to the modenr day - the Number of the Beast is a thinly-veiled Nero reference, which inspires some people to say, "The whole thing was about Nero!" Well, no. it's saying that the beast will be LIKE Nero. I'm real sorry, but Preterism doesn't pan out. So, what's the solution to take from this? There's some super-plainly-stated and explained stuf in Revelation, mostly to give hope for the ultimate end of everything (like in these pictures - the Beast being tossed into Hell and all). The really surreal stuff is meant to be interpreted when it's right there in front. And don't forget, Jesus's last words to His disciples were "You are NOT supposed to know the times and places/dates and locations exactly! So stop speculating!" So yeah, this kind of ruins the whole eschatology/prophecy debate right there. I'm not exactly a Left Behind fan. heh heh heh.

MotherHarlot-AbyssThatWasPrepared.png

Okay, RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION IS OVER, and now back to the toy! This is a really well-done figure. It's solid, mostly sturdy, though I would watch certain spots - that cup worries me, and mine came with some damage to one of its crowns - and it's destined to be one of the centerpieces in my religion mythology collection. This is the. Freaking. Whore. Of. Babylon. On the Beast! INSANE! If you like any of the stuff that's in my collecting hobbyhorse - seriously, you guys know I love this sort of obscure stuff - then yeah, I would recommend this figure. Even my roommate was impressed. My cat, however, was terrified.

MotherHarlot-Bossy.png

...You know, that just might have been the correct response.
(okay, she was just yawning)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 Jesse

Jesse

They should really get a breathalyzer on thi site

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1051 posts
  • Interests:Fistful of power, Universe of violence and random odds and ends...

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:03 AM

Awesome rewiev man! And a very cool fig.

Im not a a religious man, more of a spiritual though, but still i have read some of the bible(mostly revelations) and wanted to ask how long is the US version of the book? Cause according to my understanding its pretty darn longer than our version included in the bible wich has only 28 pages.

Tried searching on some Finnish longer version without being abble to find it so i ask; is there one?

#3 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:14 AM

It's twenty-three "chapters" (chapters and vrses were added way later).

#4 Jesse

Jesse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1051 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:36 AM

No big difference then, checked and we have 22 two chapters though on weird thing i remembered first when i read the review, our revelations hasnt got any mentioning of the whore of babylon. It has something about a fake probhet but nothing similar besides for the misleading of world leaders and kings. Softened version it appears

#5 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:20 PM

Did they use a different term, maybe?

#6 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog

Duck President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4202 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:38 PM

They left the bit out where the Nordic countries get sucked into a pit of fire.

Another great toy Rid. I love seeing characters from all of these mythologies :)
<span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#8b0000;">Stuff I'm selling: <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=220814">Madballs Water Squirters</a> *</strong></span> <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=154077">Gormiti</a> * <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=148080">Miscellaneous (MIMP, FOA etc)</a></strong></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#808000;">Stuff I really need:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=235893"><strong>HERE</strong></a></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#008000;">Stuff I collect:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...showtopic=44163"><strong>Gormiti</strong></a></span><br><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#4b0082;">Get your own easy-to-use</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...ndpost&p=264795"><strong>M.U.S.C.L.E.</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">or</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...08"><strong>MIMP Series 1/2</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">checklists!</span></span>

#7 Jesse

Jesse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1051 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:51 PM

Did they use a different term, maybe?

Supposing its just the fake profet it mentions. Basicly same stuff on misleading kings without adultary, nothin about a woman really... i smell censor hah... though it still contains the part on the villagers and the angels in the inn.

They left the bit out where the Nordic countries get sucked into a pit of fire.

Nah i think thats when the Godess of the universe decides to crack this great birds egg we call earth. Or when the god Odin gets eaten by a big wolf. Depends which area you live really :)

#8 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 05 March 2015 - 07:04 AM

Nah i think thats when the Godess of the universe decides to crack this great birds egg we call earth. Or when the god Odin gets eaten by a big wolf. Depends which area you live really :)

I just read that the next Thor movie is going to be about Ragnarok 

#9 Jesse

Jesse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1051 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:09 AM

Heard it too but its just... i hated the new thor movie with everyone looking like super heroes in a universe thats something between star wars and star trek with its alien-kind of people and weaponry... id say marvel just made the whole swedish/norsk mythology gayish and in accurate, i mean it just doesnt strike to my liking

Guess ill still watch the movie cause this stuff interests me, atleast to see where they went wrong :)

Edit: Btw the first line you quoted, thats our mythology! Collected by finnish poetrist from folk lore and poetry tracking all the way to the early mediaval times. J.r.r tolkien was interested in Kalevala where all this comes from. It has similar spelling to haiku, basicly three word sentences where all words start at same letter containing a lot of adjectives. I believe the Ents or something speaks with this sort of way. Also the way they say the letter R sounds Finnish

Edited by Jesse, 05 March 2015 - 09:13 AM.

#10 BBShockwave

BBShockwave

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 11:38 AM

Love this series. Wanted to ask  -I have seen pictures of a Hecate figure, but could never find it for sale anywhere. Does it exist?

Edited by BBShockwave, 19 March 2015 - 11:38 AM.

#11 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 11:27 PM

I haven't seen one yet.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com