#1 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5097 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 12 November 2020 - 01:49 PM

Since a lot of members are into various 80s toylines, figured it was worth sharing this tidbit on the MOTU line and the undocumented He-Man promotion often known as "Wonder Bread" He-Man:

https://youtu.be/xhnH62KZ0SI

ToyGuru goes on a whole long thing on this, so I suggest skipping to 11 minutes in.

Long story short, there was a "Buy 3 Get 1 Free" mail-in promotion that Mattel ran in 1983 for a few brands, and the figure received if you were getting one from the MOTU line was a barebones alternate version of He-Man with brown hair and a couple weapons at most, no armor or anything else. Lends some credence to the thoughts on how certain rarer MUSCLE figures may indeed have been store-exclusive inserts or something, if Mattel was so bad at documenting a promotion like this. In any case, cool reveal at least!

#2 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 12 November 2020 - 10:34 PM

Whoa!

#3 Shadow Bat

Shadow Bat

Serious Collector

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 360 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 06:21 AM

Amazing how such a myth survived for almost 40 years

#4 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts
  • Interests:Former Pro Wrestler so naturally Wrestling, Kinnikuman, Saint Seiya, Kinkeshi, Deka Kinkeshi & throw in some AoA!

Posted 13 November 2020 - 07:11 AM

Thats really cool! The video ended up on my youtube feed yesterday. What I found most interesting is that after all these years people (collectors) were not that far off in the theory of the 1983 Mattel "Buy 3 Get 1 Free" mail-in promotion. It was just never confirmed but talked about for years. Its crazy how bad Mattel is sometimes when it comes to their own history and documentation!

#5 greyeagle06

greyeagle06

Excited for Princess Peach Showtime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:All things Nintendo, Mega Man, Pokemon, Sonic the hedghog, M.u.s.c.l.e., Jim Henson, Lego Ninjago, Bionicle, Star Wars, (Some) Disney, G.I. Joe, Food and Company mascot figures, and Little Rubber Guys

Posted 13 November 2020 - 10:27 AM

Thanks for letting us know! If it took that long for people to find a figure for a popular IP like He-man, then think about how long it might take to find where the super rare M.u.s.c.l.e. figures came from?

Looking for more M.u.s.c.l.e.

#6 greyeagle06

greyeagle06

Excited for Princess Peach Showtime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:All things Nintendo, Mega Man, Pokemon, Sonic the hedghog, M.u.s.c.l.e., Jim Henson, Lego Ninjago, Bionicle, Star Wars, (Some) Disney, G.I. Joe, Food and Company mascot figures, and Little Rubber Guys

Posted 13 November 2020 - 10:37 AM

Thanks for letting us know! If it took that long for people to find a figure for a popular IP like He-man, then think about how long it might take to find where the super rare M.u.s.c.l.e. figures came from?

Since it would be pretty easy to ship M.u.s.c.l.e. figures, I'm starting to think that maybe some of the super rares were possibly a mail in promotion. Maybe instead of one specific figure, it could be a mystery figure like with the Nestle quik promotion. Or maybe it was some foreign promotion? I don't really know..

Looking for more M.u.s.c.l.e.

#7 BadLarry

BadLarry

Jake All Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Interests:Robot & monster toys, Lego, MUSCLE, etc.

Posted 13 November 2020 - 05:12 PM

I'm not into MotU, but that was really interesting! Thanks for posting.

Thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: he-man, motu, mattel, mail-in

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com