Theme© by Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

How to make "proto-putty" - Good for molds?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 17 December 2016 - 05:00 AM

Hey folks!

Stumbled upon this video yesterday. The guy uses for all kinds of stuff and it got me thinking, "Could this be used for casting?"

Season vets: weigh in! Did you guys know about this? It this a junk way to do things?

I'm going to be doing some tests in the new year, I think. (Maybe over the holidays.) My kids will love mucking around with this stuff.

Edited by Draznar, 17 December 2016 - 05:00 AM.

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#2 Bratwurst

Bratwurst

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 05:52 AM

Might be good for making molds of large pieces but probably not for tiny things with fine detail. I noticed in the Lego brick example that there were pockets of empty space near some of the mold's edges (and studs) after the bricks had been pulled out. I guess you could just try to work around that sort of shortcoming though, and carefully mold small figurines without making air pockets. Maybe use a technique where you gradually roll and wrap the material onto the object from side to the other.

Cornstarch is often used as a release agent for all kinds of things, so it makes sense that this stuff would peel away from whatever you were molding/casting nicely, so that is a plus.

#3 mannakat

mannakat

Electro Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Interests:Creature junkie, werewolves, dinosaurs

Posted 17 December 2016 - 06:59 AM

Looks like another version of Sugru, have heard of people doing molds with that and Oogoo for simpler pieces but they don't seem to recommend it for larger or more detailed pieces. Seems to work very well with smaller parts for toy/figure replacement, haven't found anyone using it for figure casting or anything similar though.

#4 GreenMountainBeastformers

GreenMountainBeastformers

Beastmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 01:40 PM

That silicone caulking is about $10 bucks a tube, so definitely worth a try.  If anyone tries it, I would be interested to see the results.

#5 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 17 December 2016 - 04:44 PM

My pops might have some silicone, (he's got everything somewhere), so I'll probably give this a shot over the holidays with the kids. I'll report back in when I get around to doing this!

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#6 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 09:01 PM

Silicone caulking is horrible for any molds with detail. Won't work how you think

#7 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 03:36 AM

Silicone caulking is horrible for any molds with detail. Won't work how you think

Fact.
Tried it in my early days, and Nilla is on the money.

#8 Maxrez

Maxrez

Cosmic Loot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 03:56 AM

I have seen a lot of articles about this but never tried. I have a silicone tube and this video is so great that i want to try soon.

I tried making cheap mold with silicone caulk and it works if you don't need details but it is very very cheap. 

Thanks for the find Draznar !

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com