• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

just getting into knife making.

blade of the immortal is my master.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:29 AM

was looking for plasma the other day and a came across these little dinosaur fossil kits. i thought, that sounds really cool. it's a little egg made out of sand that has small plastic dinosaur bones that you excavate and reassemble. great ideat right? i thought so too, at first. then when i started trying to get at the bones i found the fatal flaw in the design. the effing egg is made out of kryptonite or adamantium or something. it is a huge bee-eye-itch to breat through with the tools they give you. the little mallet is a joke. it's so light that you don't get any force from it. the "chisel" is the only thing that seems to work. but instead of chiseling you end up just scraping away. i swear i had wore off about a centimeter of wood from it when i was finally done. there is a trick to making this easier. spray bottle. if you spray it lightly with water then the idea of using the tools makes sense. but the instructions don't mention any water, so you have to discover it on your own. there is a giant mess made with these as well, another reason to use water. keep the sand from getting everywhere but still making it soft enough to scrape away. i bought them for only $3 a piece, so it wasn't a huge loss. but the effort and the end result don't justify that high of a price. the one my wife had was for a tyrannosaur that actually looks more like a raptor. maybe one of those little egg eaters, oviraptor? i had a triceratops. it doesn't look too bad. when my wife was jackhammering through here concrete she ended up breaking a plastic piece. the plastic is really weak. just wanted to warn everyone before they impulse bought them like i did. if you're a diehard dino fan and can't stop until you own everything that was ever made about dinosaurs, then maybe you'll like these. otherwise stay away.

here's the packaging
Attached File  0913080837.jpg   361.33K   15 downloads

so much evil...
Attached File  creepy_girl.jpg   81.25K   9 downloads

10 weeks into the year long excavation.
Attached File  0913080922.jpg   257.75K   9 downloads

finally, after years of effort, you get a tiny little 2" long figure....yay...
Attached File  0913081058.jpg   274.42K   10 downloads

if i encounter the demons in hell, i will kill them all..

vi veri veniversum vivus vici.

#2 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:47 AM

Well, that's nifty. I think I saw those somewhere. You know you could have just let it sit in a bucket of water for a while. :lol: But that would have defeated the purpose I guess. :crazy:

Posted Image

#3 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 14 September 2008 - 10:01 AM

yeah, i suspect the instructions don't mention water because it's the cheater method. would really defeat the purpose of including the tools. i picked these up at smith's marketplace/kroger/fred meyer.

#4 Airot

Airot

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In no particular order, these are the things I collect;
    Monster in my Pocket (Both original the modern)
    Gamoja
    Fistful of Power
    Monster Connectors
    Gormiti
    Boglins
    Plasma Creatures
    Dinosaurs
    Mighty Max
    HorrorClix

Posted 15 September 2008 - 02:56 AM

hey! I saw those at coles! Only they had different packaging and a different name, but the photos of the figures are exactly the same.

Did you see the epic bug skeleton I got from a toy pretty much the same as that? I found it was easier to dig him out by pushing the chisel into the rock on a corner or something as hard as I could then wigging it a little to knock off chunks. Got easier once I had revealed a little bit of the skeleton.
I'll give you this strawberry if you keep it a secret.

#5 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:14 PM

yeah, that's a similar method to what i started out doing. i did see your exoskeletons with skeletons. ;)

#6 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:28 PM

Hehe, i got a couple of these a while back. I enjoyed the excavation bit (i did upgrade to better tools though), but i thought the resulting dinosaurs were pretty lackluster. They'd be awesome if they were like $1.
Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com