#1 Teacher of Madness

Teacher of Madness

Boardest Gamer in the Land!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Toys and board games aplenty

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:42 PM

Fistful of Power: The power to Conquer is in your hands!

These were mentioned elsewhere on the board, and I thought I'd look into it for everyone who was wondering if they're worth it. First, a short description of these little guys.

Description: The figures themselves are slightly smaller than your average G1 MUSCLE figure, and made of a slightly softer plastic. The initial line is divided into distinct "factions", with each faction clinging to a different stereotypical toy theme; you have your pirates, your lava monsters, your robots, fish men, kung-fu guys, etc.
The character designs are entertaining, and if you log on to fistful.com you can get a short bio for each character which is a nice touch. Each individual sculpt, of which there are 43 in this first series, comes in three different color variations. Shadow, which is a translucent grey color, is the most common. Expect to see lots of these if you buy a pack. Hyper is a fully painted figure, and you will get at least one per 5-pack. 7 of the characters from this series are only avaliable in this form. The third form is Crystal, and it seems to be the most rare. Crystal figures are a clear plastic, with some painted-on details.
It is also important to note that of the 12 figures I have purchased, 2 will not stand.

Packaging: There was some question about if the sets were standard like the ultimate muscle packs in another post. I bought two 5 packs and one 2 pack. The two pack is completely sealed and the two figures you get are a suprise. The five packs feature one "hyper" figure visible on the outside of the package, and then 4 random figures within the box. Because of all the figures and variants, and the rarity issue they seem to want to stress with certain figures, those figures not visible are completely random. There are Warlords figures avaliable exclusively with certain accessories (which I will go buy this week to check out) and I'm not sure if these are random within the accessories, or specific to the accessory you buy.

The best way to describe the packaging is buy relating it to another of this company's products. Fistful of Power is produced by the company that makes Mighty Beans, Moose Enterprise. Like the Mighty Beans pack with the one visible bean and the random beans inside, this is the same sort of idea.

Paint: The most common figures, the shadows, have no paint at all, so for them it's non-issue and you will be getting more of these than anything else. The hyper figures are generally well-painted. The colors are simplistic but seem to work well with the figures. The paint on the single crystal figure I got leaves much to be desired. It is a little sloppy, parts of the figure are only partially painted, and the effect through the clear plastic body with some of the paint is unappealing.

Gameplay: The "game" that these figures revolve around is very similar to "Pass the pigs" if any of you have played that before. Basically you throw the figures on a table. If more of your figures land face up than your opponent, he looses a figure. First person with no figures loses. There's a point system which factors in having to do with a number printed on the foot of each figure, but basically that's what it amounts to. They also include "solitare" rules, which basically amounts to a variation of Yahtzee. Some mindless fun if you have a few minutes, but certainly not strategy games.

Value: The figures are entertaining. I'm not wild on the 3 versions of each figure, as I envision the dozens of packs of these things I'm going to have to buy to collect them all. At $7-8 a 5-pack that's also a sizeable chunk of change in my opinion. On the other hand, opening blind packs of anything is always fun, as I say the sculpts are very nice, and they are entertaining in the way that MUSCLE figures were well before I knew anything about Kinnikuman. I guess the value depends on what you like about toys in the end. I would recommend buying a 2-pack and deciding for yourself.

I apologise for the quality of the images below, but the autofocus on my camera is not cooperating.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
"There's a fine line between sayings that make sense."

#2 Nachoz God of Metal

Nachoz God of Metal

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:55 PM

can you make a comparison pic of a fistful fig to a muscle

#3 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 05:35 PM

Cool review! Where did you get them? I tried dropping by TRU today, but I didn't see them.

#4 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 06:14 PM

I think that octopus guy is my personal favorite.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#5 SpectreSuperSix5

SpectreSuperSix5

I am not a number. I'm a free man

• Old Guard
  • 2598 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, M.U.S.C.L.E., Xbox 360, firearms, grilling, muscle cars, zombies, and Cartoon Network.

Posted 21 February 2005 - 06:26 PM

I like the yeti guy. Reminds me of the logo of the AHL hockey team the Syracuse Crunch.

I'll probably buy extras off of anyone who's got em, maybe spring for a pack or two myself.

Edited by SpectreSuperSix5, 21 February 2005 - 06:26 PM.

Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

#6 Nachoz God of Metal

Nachoz God of Metal

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 07:05 PM

My favorite is grush

Attached Files

#7 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 08:18 PM

So it's a heavily overpriced Ultimate Muscle knockoff with a highly and heavily derivitive game?

I think I'll pass on these figs, no matter how good they look.

What's with the figures with good games getting killed (Creepy Freaks), and those with bad games getting popular around here?
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

And you are here, with them, as so many specks of sand.

#8 Teacher of Madness

Teacher of Madness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 08:19 PM

I'll post a comparison pic tomarrow. For some reason my stupid AOL account won't let me access my FTP space right now, so I can't post it anywhere. Hopefully it'll be more reasonable tomarrow.

As I mentioned in the review, I found them at TRU in Buffalo. You can't look at the action figure section, try looking at the little racks and bins they put right in front of the registers, where they'd have motorized suckers and keychains and other garbage nobody's going to buy. I found them there just as I had given up hope of finding them at all. They certainly weren't readily visible.

You can always ask someone too. Occasionally one of the employees at a TRU isn't working there just to root through cases of things to put rare figures on ebay. I've found one or two helpful employees in my various hunts for things.

So anyway, look for comparison picks tomorrow evening. I'm going to pick up a few more packs and one of the cases with warlord figure tomarrow as well, so look for that.

#9 Zombie

Zombie

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Interests:Brains

Posted 21 February 2005 - 09:22 PM

Thanks for the review. I actually went searching for these today at Toys R Us, Target, and Walmart. Looks like I'll have to try Toys R Us again tommorrow. Did you see that Battle Arena there? Looks like it might be good for Ultimate Muscle guys, but the photo on the site is a little small to say for sure.

#10 Teacher of Madness

Teacher of Madness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 01:50 PM

I have not seen the battle arena. Today I went to another local TRU, and after some searching found the Fistful display near the Pokemon Cards/ Mighty Beans section. I have to clarify pricing, I sort of confused it a bit earlier. 2 packs are $4, 5 packs are $6, the small cases in the shape of a fist are $8.

I bought a few more packs today, and two small carrying cases, one red one blue. The cases are supposed to come with a Warlord figure, and my hope was that they'd be randomly inserted. The two I purchased came with the same Warlord figure, which was actually the one depicted as a cartoon on the label. I'm assuming he's the only one avaliable with this accessory and the others are avaliable with the ring, and other accessories, although it's hard to say for sure until someone else buys another pack. It could be a fluke. I'm guessing, though, that it's not.

I'm still having trouble with my ftp, so unless someone else wants to host an image or two to show here I can't post anymore pictures until I figure out what's wrong.

#11 Nachoz God of Metal

Nachoz God of Metal

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 02:12 PM

I have not seen the battle arena. Today I went to another local TRU, and after some searching found the Fistful display near the Pokemon Cards/ Mighty Beans section. I have to clarify pricing, I sort of confused it a bit earlier. 2 packs are $4, 5 packs are $6, the small cases in the shape of a fist are $8.

I bought a few more packs today, and two small carrying cases, one red one blue. The cases are supposed to come with a Warlord figure, and my hope was that they'd be randomly inserted. The two I purchased came with the same Warlord figure, which was actually the one depicted as a cartoon on the label. I'm assuming he's the only one avaliable with this accessory and the others are avaliable with the ring, and other accessories, although it's hard to say for sure until someone else buys another pack. It could be a fluke. I'm guessing, though, that it's not.

I'm still having trouble with my ftp, so unless someone else wants to host an image or two to show here I can't post anymore pictures until I figure out what's wrong.

i'll take that extra warlord off your hands . :lol: no really. witch warlord is it http://www.fistful.c...spx?regionid=13

Edited by The Monkey King, 22 February 2005 - 02:22 PM.

#12 Zombie

Zombie

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 04:28 PM

Well, I FINALLY found these today at Toys R Us. After going over the toy section again and going over the front near the registers, I finally found them in the last spot I looked in the board and card game section (which as it turns out is across the store in this new Toys R Us, I'm not used to the new design), on the bottom shelf. They had two blue fists, two red, and two brown. They also had two packs and five packs. I think I might have been the only person to purchase these. I didn't really check hard, but it seemed like there weren't any missing from the display case from a quick glance. Huge pictures ahoy!

I picked up the brown fist to be different. I'm betting I got the same Warlord figure that ToM got in his fists, Cowl, #43 on the chart I believe.

Posted Image

I would not recommend purchasing the fists. For a small fist that "holds ten fighters" and a single figure, it is hardly worth it. I know this is a game and I guess the Warlord must be a powerful piece to have, but seeing as how most people probably won't play this, it just isn't worth it for display.

Now, onto the 5 packs.

I went through them all and picked out the packs showing the figures I most liked.

Posted Image

#19 Ha-Tesh(Uncommon)(Hyper)was visible.
It contained:
#30 Chain(Common)(Shadow)
#25 Maelstrom(Common)(Shadow)
#23 Tremmor(Common)(Shadow)
#12 Aquo(Uncommon)(Crystal)

Posted Image

#20 Skurge(Uncommon)(Hyper)was visible.
It contained:
#28 Skwall(Common(Shadow)
#31 H-8T(Common)(Shadow)
#23 Tremmor(Common(Shadow) (a repeat already, sweet :lol: )
#5 Infernus(Rare)(Hyper)

Posted Image

#21 Blackheart(Uncommon)(Hyper)was visible.
It contained:
#26 Frost(Common(Shadow)
#30 Chain(Common)(Shadow) (another repeat, sweet :o )
#25 Maelstrom(Common)(Shadow) (I have now repeated all my shadow figures in the first pack, quite the acheivement to do that so soon. :D )
#6 Grush(Rare)(Hyper)

So, each of my packs came with 3 shadows and two hypers or a hyper and a crystal. It seems like the hyper and crystal figures come in plastic baggies to keep the paint from rubbing off, which is a pretty nice idea. The figures are pretty good, but $6 is a little high. If all 5 figures were painted, it might be more justifiable, but paying more than a dollar a piece for shadow figures isn't great. With the amount of figures to collect and the system of making various figures harder to get than others, I definately won't be trying to get a complete set.

Also, with no TV show to go along with these, no advertising that I have seen, and seemingly very few stores carrying these, I wouldn't be surprised if they end up in the bargain bin eventually. I'll definately pick up a lot more if that's the case, but otherwise, they are priced too high for serious collecting in my opinion.

(P.S. Teacher of Madness, you can use www.imageshack.us for free image hosting.)

Edited by Zombie, 22 February 2005 - 04:30 PM.

#13 Knuxman

Knuxman

Reject False Icons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1293 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 04:41 PM

Wow, those look pretty cool, next time I have some money I'll make sure to pick some up!
"So it goes."
~Vonnegut

#14 Nachoz God of Metal

Nachoz God of Metal

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 04:42 PM

Well, I FINALLY found these today at Toys R Us. After going over the toy section again and going over the front near the registers, I finally found them in the last spot I looked in the board and card game section (which as it turns out is across the store in this new Toys R Us, I'm not used to the new design), on the bottom shelf. They had two blue fists, two red, and two brown. They also had two packs and five packs. I think I might have been the only person to purchase these. I didn't really check hard, but it seemed like there weren't any missing from the display case from a quick glance. Huge pictures ahoy!

I picked up the brown fist to be different. I'm betting I got the same Warlord figure that ToM got in his fists, Cowl, #43 on the chart I believe.

Posted Image

I would not recommend purchasing the fists. For a small fist that "holds ten fighters" and a single figure, it is hardly worth it. I know this is a game and I guess the Warlord must be a powerful piece to have, but seeing as how most people probably won't play this, it just isn't worth it for display.

Now, onto the 5 packs.

I went through them all and picked out the packs showing the figures I most liked.

Posted Image

#19 Ha-Tesh(Uncommon)(Hyper)was visible.
It contained:
#30 Chain(Common)(Shadow)
#25 Maelstrom(Common)(Shadow)
#23 Tremmor(Common)(Shadow)
#12 Aquo(Uncommon)(Crystal)

Posted Image

#20 Skurge(Uncommon)(Hyper)was visible.
It contained:
#28 Skwall(Common(Shadow)
#31 H-8T(Common)(Shadow)
#23 Tremmor(Common(Shadow) (a repeat already, sweet B) )
#5 Infernus(Rare)(Hyper)

Posted Image

#21 Blackheart(Uncommon)(Hyper)was visible.
It contained:
#26 Frost(Common(Shadow)
#30 Chain(Common)(Shadow) (another repeat, sweet B) )
#25 Maelstrom(Common)(Shadow) (I have now repeated all my shadow figures in the first pack, quite the acheivement to do that so soon. B) )
#6 Grush(Rare)(Hyper)

So, each of my packs came with 3 shadows and two hypers or a hyper and a crystal. It seems like the hyper and crystal figures come in plastic baggies to keep the paint from rubbing off, which is a pretty nice idea. The figures are pretty good, but $6 is a little high. If all 5 figures were painted, it might be more justifiable, but paying more than a dollar a piece for shadow figures isn't great. With the amount of figures to collect and the system of making various figures harder to get than others, I definately won't be trying to get a complete set.

Also, with no TV show to go along with these, no advertising that I have seen, and seemingly very few stores carrying these, I wouldn't be surprised if they end up in the bargain bin eventually. I'll definately pick up a lot more if that's the case, but otherwise, they are priced too high for serious collecting in my opinion.

(P.S. Teacher of Madness, you can use www.imageshack.us for free image hosting.)

would you be willing to sell that grush? :notme:

ill be going to walmart to see if they havem

#15 Zombie

Zombie

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 05:05 PM

would you be willing to sell that grush? :notme: 

ill be going to walmart to see if they havem

Probably not sell, since I rather like him, but I might be willing to trade. I like the way Grondar looks, though it's hard to tell from the drawings how he'd look as a painted figure. Keep him in the baggie if you get him.

Edited by Zombie, 22 February 2005 - 05:07 PM.

#16 Zombie

Zombie

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 08:11 PM

I thought these had been out for a while now, since on http://www.spinmaster.com/fistful/, in the Calender section, there are events way back in November, but I guess these just came out recently, at least in the United States. They apparently do have a commercial, though I have yet to see it air. When you register on their site, they let you see it. Here is a direct link for those too lazy to register:

http://www.fistful.c...ies/Fistful.mpg

Now, I don't really pay attention to toy commercials much these days and maybe they are all like this, but this commercial really gives me an 80s feel. Am I crazy?

Edited by Zombie, 22 February 2005 - 08:12 PM.

#17 Knuxman

Knuxman

Reject False Icons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1293 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 08:19 PM

It definitly has a distinct 80's feel.
"So it goes."
~Vonnegut

#18 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 12:00 PM

I picked up a 5-pack at TRU last night. If they have been out since November, they haven't been moving at all, since they were displayed in a FOP-specific case, and my purchase was the first.

Anyway, I think they're cool, but I don't really like the shadow coloring for the most part. It makes the details difficult to see and reduces effective display possibilities. I noticed that the 2-packs were $4... does that mean that the 2-packs have only crystal or hyper figures in them? I think the figures are great, but if the assortments are heavily weighted with shadow figures, I think I'm going to skip collecting them.

#19 Zombie

Zombie

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 12:30 PM

I picked up a 5-pack at TRU last night.  If they have been out since November, they haven't been moving at all, since they were displayed in a FOP-specific case, and my purchase was the first. 

Anyway, I think they're cool, but I don't really like the shadow coloring for the most part.  It makes the details difficult to see and reduces effective display possibilities.  I noticed that the 2-packs were $4... does that mean that the 2-packs have only crystal or hyper figures in them?  I think the figures are great, but if the assortments are heavily weighted with shadow figures, I think I'm going to skip collecting them.

I think I must have been mistaken in them being out since November. I checked the chalender again and it looks like all the events in November and December took place in Phoenix. So, maybe Phoenix was the test market before they had a national release?

I think the 2 packs have one shadow and one hyper or crystal. It looks like ToM has 4 hypers, 7 shadows, and 1 crystal. Assuming his ratios are like mine, he would have had 3 shadows per 5 pack with his last shadow coming in his 2 pack. Was your 5 pack ratio like that? 1 visible hyper, 3 shadows, and one hyper or crystal?

#20 Mr.Monster

Mr.Monster

Totalitarian Overlord of the Bench Press

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • Interests:Powerlifting, MST3K, Death Metal, 80's cartoons, Georgia/NWA Wrestling, Fistful of Power, Kinkeshi

Posted 23 February 2005 - 04:30 PM

I got mine from amazon today. I ordered a red case and a five pack. The case is pretty disappointing, much smaller than I anticipated. Here is a pic of 4 of the 6 guys I received. My 5 pack had 2 Hypers, 1 crystal and 2 shadows (not pictured, my son is playing with them in the bathtub at the moment). I really dig the crystal Tremmor guy. I'll probably be buying lots of packs of these as my son and I think they're pretty cool. I'm going to check out the local walmart, target and Toys r us in the next few days, so if you guys do the same and want to trade doubles, let me know.

Edited by Goriki, 23 February 2005 - 04:31 PM.

#21 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 07:25 PM

Was your 5 pack ratio like that? 1 visible hyper, 3 shadows, and one hyper or crystal?

Yup... my ratio was 1 hyper, 1 crystal, and 3 shadows. But Goriki's pack seems to indicate that the ratio may be variable. Regardless, I doubt we'll see a pack with more than 2 hypers, as I would think the costs would be too high for the manufacturer.

I'll probably be getting a few more this weekend, so hopefully we can start a FoP trading circle!

#22 Zombie

Zombie

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 08:00 PM

That's pretty cool that Goriki got 2 hypers (one a rare even) and a crystal in one pack. I didn't really like the way Tremmor looked, but that crystal version looks badassed.

#23 Teacher of Madness

Teacher of Madness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 08:09 PM

I'm getting the same ratios as you guys are saying, basically 3 shadows, the 1 visible hyper and either another hyper or a crystal.

I have to agree that it would be nice to get just painted figures for collecting purposes, and the translucence of the shadow figures does make it very difficult to see the details. I think the company was definately focusing on the play aspect over the collecting aspect when they designed the different versions and packing ratios, because it's really going to be difficult to get a set. Having read the FFOP page, my earlier question about Warlord distribution seems to be answered. The fist has the one figure, the big case (which nobody seems to have found) comes with two, and the arena (again, MIA) comes with three, which covers the six pictured on the poster.

Yeah, a trading circle might be a help to a lot of us. As much as some (including me) are griping about price and distribution, it sounds like a lot of us are already on the bandwagon so may as well assist when we can. I'll try to get the numbers of all my figures up within the next day or so.

#24 SpectreSuperSix5

SpectreSuperSix5

I am not a number. I'm a free man

• Old Guard
  • 2598 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, M.U.S.C.L.E., Xbox 360, firearms, grilling, muscle cars, zombies, and Cartoon Network.

Posted 24 February 2005 - 06:46 AM

Mine should be coming in from amazon by friday, I may be interested in joining that trading/circle.

Maybe Johnny will create a folder just for it on the board if enough people are interested?

I'll be sure to let you guys know what I got when the package arrives. :lol:
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

#25 Nachoz God of Metal

Nachoz God of Metal

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 12:26 PM

Mine should be coming in from amazon by friday, I may be interested in joining that trading/circle.

Maybe Johnny will create a folder just for it on the board if enough people are interested?

I'll be sure to let you guys know what I got when the package arrives. :huh:

I'm going to walmart and i ordered some from amazon(surley will be here Fri.) so ill trade too

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com