127 replies to this topic

#51 albaldwin83

albaldwin83

Closing in on the final LBs!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:39 AM

I'd prefer painted and articulated at the shoulder, much like BB and LB. Also I'd be keen to see them be slightly smaller than they are at present, so that they are more like the height of BB.

#52 Articulationnut

Articulationnut

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1732 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:44 AM

Next up....

:shok:
...oooh. That ... looks vicious.

So really though, what do you think about the scale of these? And what format?

Non-articulated, non painted?
Shoulder articulation, non painted?
Shoulder articulation, painted?
Full articulation, non-painted? (these are what they are currently getting quoted in China)
Full articulation, painted?

Personally i'm a bit partial to smaller figures that have limb movement (the more the better up to a point). I realize that's not everyone's preference but i like a little "action" in my action figures. Even the original Battle Beast line had arm movement so anything more than that would completely ROCK MY WORLD. With that said i'd still scoop up many without articulation.

The pictures of that beauty of a Lion prototype you have next to other LRG's suggest to me the scale is perfect. They need to put THAT out exactly as it is!
Divide & conquer works because of attachments people make to push-button issues, individual "leaders," parties, clans, tribes, policies, or agendas, leaving them open to manipulation.

#53 Articulationnut

Articulationnut

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1732 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:55 AM

Non-painted is my preference regardless of articulation type. If this line was a flat-out redux of the Battle Beast style, I'd say painted is a must, but the style of these do not look friendly to factory-paint application. I'd trust painted figs at the Joe scale, but not these.

Agreed. The scale is perfect for me but my faith in a factory painting things of this scale wouldn't be strong. I'd rather paint my own or at the very least commission an artist on the board to paint mine for me.

Edited by Articulationnut, 14 January 2012 - 04:56 AM.

Divide & conquer works because of attachments people make to push-button issues, individual "leaders," parties, clans, tribes, policies, or agendas, leaving them open to manipulation.

#54 transformersontheshelf

transformersontheshelf

The Toy Store Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Interests:Toys and Games of all sorts!

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:04 AM

hmm, "revenge of the beasts" or "return of the beast"...maybe "Realm of the beasts"? These look cool as hell, and I'm anxious to hear costs. Since you have a little bit of "in-the-know" going on, will there be wholesale options? if so would it be per case or what? Eventually I want to carry a lot of neat random products in my toy store and anything like this would look great on a shelf!

#55 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:53 AM

Here's a different Lizard figure. They chose not to go with this body style, but it is more like the old style beasts.

What do you guys think?

Attached Thumbnails

• canceled_lizard_01.jpg

#56 SaltLakeToyJunkee

SaltLakeToyJunkee

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2205 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:06 AM

That lizard looks better than the other in my opinion :yes:

#57 WarOnTheShore

WarOnTheShore

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:09 AM

The lion didn't do a lot for me. It seemed lanky like a Thundercats character. The lizard, however, is effing amazing. I'm signed up just for that alone.

#58 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1852 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:26 AM

Here's a different Lizard figure. They chose not to go with this body style, but it is more like the old style beasts.

What do you guys think?

Looks like they've done quite some 3D design as this is a render showing a totally different figure style.
What was their starting point? Did they start with the intention to do something with the BB of was this something they bumped in later? I've seen some interesting things within this post but based on these 3D renders and the first prototype you showed us + your questions concerning scale, articulation paint etc. it looks like they don't have a general idea. Its great they're putting effort in shaping figs but if they're planning to launch a whole line I think is crucial to decide some main starting points to create certain boundaries to make it more easy reaching their final goal launching a new succesfull toy line. I assume some of these issues have already been discussed or are you (jkaris) sharing the whole process with us? Which would be cool though but as a designer/owner of such a new Beast line I would focuss on a much wider more structural market instead of us as (a dozen or a bit more) toy freaks. But this is also a choice that has to be taken into account which market are they focussing on, to be honest I think its a good thing to share it with all of us and you'll sure get experienced comments from members on here that are into the toys for years but in the end it'll be a pretty small group.

For me this figure looks indeed more like a general BB and I don't know about the copyright or the trademark of Takara/Hasbro concerning the BB (is this all in the hands of DST now?) but they might get a confrontation on that level with these fellows. Maybe that's the reason for them to cancel these body types?

All these figs and prototypes shown on here are interesting to discuss but for me they only create more questionmarks than a clear perspective on a future beast toyline. As we've seen the Lion and a Lizard type with a more human like body is this the figure they agreed on, which still has to be scaled and designed with or without articulation and or paint, or are these also points that are still in process?

Maybe it would be a bit more clear if you can tell us something about the initial idea and their goal (market on which they are focussing).

Edited by GJNL, 14 January 2012 - 10:28 AM.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#59 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:49 AM

Agreed. I would buy that lizard, regardless of how it fit in with my other toys. If it was painted, I'd strip it. That thing is awesome.

#60 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:22 AM

What do you guys think?

This figure looks very cool, but it looks a tad "generic" and by that it looks like any number of heman/barbarian-type action figures filling $1 toy bins everywhere. Although i like the meatier build, i think the more slended style above is more unique, imho. I think the other difference is that the slender fig above - the lion - does have more of a thundercats/bb look to it, which plays to our nostalgia. Perhaps if the thicker lizard guy had more of a bb outfit on, id think differently.

Personally, i think the only way a single minifigure can be sold at profit would be if it is done like the clawshine or the armorvor, i.e. sold at a relatively high price and produced in house. I don't know that i would be willing to buy the lion figure pictured at top in its current form for $25-$30. If it were bigger, articulated, painted, and made of high quality pvc - the kind used for omfg! - then i think you could ask $25-$30. (However, then you'd loose the minifigure collectors and would be appealing only to custom toy collectors and bb collectors, if it retained the bb feel.)

For this line to appeal to me, a minifigure collector, the figures would remain like the lion figure above (although minimal articulation would be acceptable), be made of quality pvc, consist of at least 4-5 sculpts, be sold together, and be somewhere around $12-15 dollars.

And i agree with pimpnugget, only add paint if you go larger. Factory paint on such a small scale would likely be poor.
Posted Image

#61 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:36 AM

Initially, their idea is to release these 2 at a time in this scale with some articulation. I'll post another one of the characters tomorrow.

Jkaris, as you get more info about their long term plans, youll have to post it here. Selling these two at a time concerns me a little, mostly for two reasons. Number one is the cost: theyll perhaps be high priced so the makers can make a profit, and then there will be s&h costs. Depending on how many figs there will be, this add up over time. We cant just buy these from a store when we see them.

And number two would be the "collectible" factor. A lot of us here at LRG collect minifigures because the lines are filled with dozens of sculpts and hundreds of figures, and the "hunt" and collecting aspect appeals to us. If we are offered just two figs at a time, i fear that these wont seem "collectible." they'll seem more like expensive designer toys, which appeal to a different type of collector, which is usually not a minifigure collector. (They would be like the Super7 pocket kauji - mini vinyl released one or two at a time - that are incredibly cool but prohibitively expensive and not really popular here at lrg for probably that reason. Also because they have no connection to toys of the 80's and 90's.)

Edited by Soupie, 14 January 2012 - 11:46 AM.

Posted Image

#62 Mr.Monster

Mr.Monster

Totalitarian Overlord of the Bench Press

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • Interests:Powerlifting, MST3K, Death Metal, 80's cartoons, Georgia/NWA Wrestling, Fistful of Power, Kinkeshi

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:37 PM

What do you guys think?

Not to be a downer but I would be way more interested in this body style. The one they went with doesn't do anything for me.

Edited by Mr.Monster, 14 January 2012 - 01:38 PM.

#63 JonnyPac

JonnyPac

The beast collector in the boonies...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1110 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:55 PM

What do you guys think?

I wish they went with that format. I'd go nuts over 'em! That's badass. The other is kinda cool, but in sight of this, it is pale in comparison.

I really hope they are not too far along to revert back to this figure type. I think all the BB fans would buy them up and feel way inspired to collect beyond the official BB line. I would, and that says a lot. I'm a BB die-hard who ignores the Mini Mates, etc.

Let's see this in our hands!!

Edited by JonnyPac, 14 January 2012 - 01:59 PM.

#64 JonnyPac

JonnyPac

The beast collector in the boonies...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1110 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:02 PM

The lion didn't do a lot for me. It seemed lanky like a Thundercats character. The lizard, however, is effing amazing. I'm signed up just for that alone.

Agreed. I would buy that lizard, regardless of how it fit in with my other toys. If it was painted, I'd strip it. That thing is awesome.

Not to be a downer but I would be way more interested in this body style. The one they went with doesn't do anything for me.

We want the lizard and more like it!!! :woot:

#65 eightystoynut

eightystoynut

Team BATTLEBEASTS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:80's Action Figures and mostly BB/LB

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:42 PM

Either way "I'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL I OWN THEM!" :woot: , Jon you can give them my info if they are taking pre-orders...
I'd like to see painted, and just like BB/LB arms, also maybe snap on armour, and definately weapons, maybe instead of elements colored stones/jewels(but not real jewels) that click into the armour like red/fire,brown/wood,blue/water????? just thinking out loud...

Edited by eightystoynut, 14 January 2012 - 03:51 PM.

#66 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:45 PM

Put some bb armor on the lizard, and he would look great. Keep in mind that a meatier figure will be more expensive.

I think it would be ideal for these to appeal to bb collectors, but what percentage of toy collectors do bb collectors represent? The important thing is to find a form factor that appeals to the most collectors.
Posted Image

#67 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:03 PM

I prefer the more realistic build of the original proto. reminds me of the MOTU gumball minis. :yes: And the more i think about it the more i would just like some none articulated, non painted ones.

#68 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:00 PM

I also liken, maybe mistakenly so, the stockier build to it being more durable. I find thicker, hulkish, figures to be more appealing.
ESPECIALLY when they are reptillian!

#69 mannakat

mannakat

Electro Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Interests:Creature junkie, werewolves, dinosaurs

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:05 PM

Put the first lizards armor on the meatier lizard, and my heart is sold.

I do like the lion and the first lizard, but the more I think about it... they have me wondering about stability (teeny feet!). As in, will they be just as stable as the Battle Beasts (their squatness and meatier build gives them better stability than some of the more slender figures I have) when placed on a desk or whatnot?

I also like that the second figure is a bit more 'simplistic' when it comes to their muscle definition. On larger figures that stuff doesn't bother me so much, but it's a little too bold on a smaller figure where they're already trying to cram in a bunch of details.

They certainly have a good start, and I love the designs of all of them. But on a personal level, I'd like to see the figures on the beefier side (lizard #2!).

Edit:
D:< ironmask beat me to it /sulk

Edited by khaomera, 14 January 2012 - 04:07 PM.

#70 lord

lord

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 931 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:23 PM

Just my 2 cents. The first design (the lion and first lizard) would be perfect for a line in the MOTUC's scale with lot of articulations. The second lizard design would be better for a smaller scale like the old BB line and doesn't need articulations or minimal ones. So I think the best for them is to decide which scale they want first (maybe the cheapest one as they are a start up) and when the line would have find the success I hop they will have then go with a second line with the other design.

#71 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:47 PM

D:< ironmask beat me to it /sulk

I'm not mad at you! hahaha

Just my 2 cents. The first design (the lion and first lizard) would be perfect for a line in the MOTUC's scale with lot of articulations. The second lizard design would be better for a smaller scale like the old BB line and doesn't need articulations or minimal ones. So I think the best for them is to decide which scale they want first (maybe the cheapest one as they are a start up) and when the line would have find the success I hop they will have then go with a second line with the other design.

^^^^Perfect^^^^
That pretty much sums it all up. I don't buy larger figures, and Lizard #2 would make the most appealing mini out of the three we've seen so far, in my humble opinion.

#72 lhssenior

lhssenior

Toy Addict

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1464 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:54 PM

I agree with many that the stockier build is preferable. More armor/cybernetics would be icing on the cake for me!
-Barry

#73 OmegaTraf

OmegaTraf

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:09 PM

Now this looks like a relaunch. This enforces my "Mate-Hate".
I would vote shoulder articulation and don't care on paint. Unique to character colors would be cool.

#74 KillerKevster

KillerKevster

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Battle Beasts and Starriors. Raising my two wonderful daughters

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:38 PM

Those figures look friggin awesome. My vote is fully painted with shoulder articulation only. I also like the smaller scale. I never cared for all the lines in the 90's that just seemed to get bigger and bigger. They become less like an action figure and more like a doll. Plus, with smaller figures we are more likely to get vehicles and playsets.

As for the name, I'm gonna go Star Wars on this and say "Revenge of the Beasts"
"Above all shadows rides the sun and stars forever dwell. I will not say the day is done nor bid the stars farewell."

#75 PimpNugget

PimpNugget

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:52 PM

I dig both looks.
Either one would be cool.

But the beefier dude, shoulder articulation and no paint would be sick.

They could be sold in different color ways and look more like the Greek BB.

Dude, you make me laugh.......at you.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com