#1 Shinobisshinpads

Shinobisshinpads

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:44 AM

Hey there folks.

I've just joined as I'm about to undertake a little quest. For such an iconic little brand there seems to be very little information about this wonderful line of toys and search engines bring me here seeking council.

I've just finished completing the first 12 of the laser beasts, but I've decided that I really want to get all of the little critters but have unsurprisingly found this task slightly daunting. I'm based in the UK, and have been looking (somewhat lazily) for the past 12 months and haven't seen a single one of the other Lasers appear on ebay in that entire time. I realise most of them were released in Japan and some in Europe but given the fact that none of them appeared during that time I come to the conclusion that might task is going to be fairly difficult. A quick search on ebay.com shows that some have been sold in recent weeks (for a hefty price) so that does offer some hope.

I guess I'm asking where would be the best place to keep an eye out for future lasers? Should I be monitoring the Japanese markets seeing as this was the original release ground? If so what sites are best?

Any help would be so very greatly received as I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by the task as it stands!

#2 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1852 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:59 AM

First of all welcome to the board as that's the first major step you made which might bring you a lot closer to the figs your looking for.

As you mentioned yourself there did show up LB on Ebay but as you might have found out these will mainly be the first 12 figs you already found since these are the 'so called' low end LB. There are 36 LB in total which you can split in 3 groups of 12 in the low, middle and high end figures. This is mainly related to their prices and rarity. Were you should be able to find the first 12 complete within the $20 - $55 range a figure the prices will increase drastically when it comes to the next 12 figures the middle ones with prices hitting easily $150 - $200+ for complete figures. Especially the guns are a crucial factor in this pricing since those seem to be pretty hard to find and in some cases are the same value as the figure themselves. Those middle 12 figs were not spread worldwide like the first 12 which makes them harder to come by and I believe in Europe only in France these figures were sold outside the US and Japan. What makes the last 12 figs the real high end LB to get is the fact that these have been only released in Japan. These show up on Ebay seldom and if they do they mostly hit insane prices just because of their rareness and most collectors are still in need of those. Prices of $250 - $500+ aren't that strange for these figs with an exception for the two monkey's in there which you might be able to find a bit cheaper if your lucky.

So yes they do show up on Ebay once in a while so its always worth to look out for that but there's a big chance you wont be bidding on those figs alone...... Untill a while ago (and sometimes still) its worth it to keep an eye out on the auction page of Yahoo Japan because that's the biggest chance to find the middle and high end LB but due to the lack of listings on Ebay lately it looks like most collectors have found there way overthere as well resulting in a price increase as well, not as extreme as on Ebay but its getting close. And of course the problem with bidding on those Japanese sites is that you'll need to have a third party as people from outside Japan cannot bid on those listings directly. This results in an extra cost that brings charges etc. which can be quite unclear untill you have to pay the amount you'll be charged with on top of the price of the item. For most people this system is the reason to stay away from these Japanese auctions.

But outside the auction websites mentioned above this board is housing a real big group of diehard collectors which do have some spare figs once in a while so its always an option to post a Topic in the Need Toys section to see if someone is willing to help you out or might have something to offer.

In the end it mostly comes to luck and $$ to be able to reach a full 112 BB/LB collection but being out here might make things a little more easy.

So be patient and while waiting its good to have a look at the board and using the search option most of the questions you have might be answered in topics that've been discussed over the years because so far I haven't found a better BB/LB library than LRG.

Enjoy!

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#3 koppenschevelle

koppenschevelle

Delta Chameleon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1109 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, Beast Saga, Battle Beast minmates, Armorvors, Hot Sauce, Tea, Pearl Jam, Films, Camers, Animals, Chameleons and lizards

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:14 AM

I agree with GJNL, the biggest thing is to have patience. I have been collecting Battle Beasts for over 25 years, but really only knew about Laser Beasts and started collecting them about 10 years ago, and I just finished my 1-112 collection last October. So it's definitely a long journey, but well worth it.

There is a bit of luck involved as well. I have only really payed a full premium for perhaps 3 of my laser beasts, but everything else has been luck, finding a good deal here and there. Here on the boards is a definitely a great resource. Also, conventions dealing with transformers are a place that I have found some great laser beast items for some decent prices. Ebay is usually one of the last places I buy from, largely because that's where the biggest prices are for these items.

Good luck with your collection. It's a challenge that requires patience, luck and of course a bit of money, since laser beasts are expensive, but it's certainly achievable.

#4 Shinobisshinpads

Shinobisshinpads

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:14 AM

Thank you for such a lovely and considered response.

My limited research had led me to believe it will be a very expensive pursuit but that is fine for me. I currently house too many Transformers and zoids and I'm looking to make up some space by swapping such large beasts for much smaller ones (a lot of mask toys and other 80s bits have made there way for lego minifigures!).

I will have a look at the options you've mentioned, namely here and Yahoo Japan. I'd assume from now they will become exponentially harder to track down given that collectors rarely want to let their prized possessions go. I harbour a hope of finding the odd hidden treasure in a car boot or some other find, but given their availability in the UK chances of that are virtually nil. I might take a trip to Japan and start knocking on doors!

I think this will probably take longer than any other collection I've amassed, and patience is not my strength! Should be fun though.

First of all welcome to the board as that's the first major step you made which might bring you a lot closer to the figs your looking for.

As you mentioned yourself there did show up LB on Ebay but as you might have found out these will mainly be the first 12 figs you already found since these are the 'so called' low end LB. There are 36 LB in total which you can split in 3 groups of 12 in the low, middle and high end figures. This is mainly related to their prices and rarity. Were you should be able to find the first 12 complete within the $20 - $55 range a figure the prices will increase drastically when it comes to the next 12 figures the middle ones with prices hitting easily $150 - $200+ for complete figures. Especially the guns are a crucial factor in this pricing since those seem to be pretty hard to find and in some cases are the same value as the figure themselves. Those middle 12 figs were not spread worldwide like the first 12 which makes them harder to come by and I believe in Europe only in France these figures were sold outside the US and Japan. What makes the last 12 figs the real high end LB to get is the fact that these have been only released in Japan. These show up on Ebay seldom and if they do they mostly hit insane prices just because of their rareness and most collectors are still in need of those. Prices of $250 - $500+ aren't that strange for these figs with an exception for the two monkey's in there which you might be able to find a bit cheaper if your lucky.

So yes they do show up on Ebay once in a while so its always worth to look out for that but there's a big chance you wont be bidding on those figs alone...... Untill a while ago (and sometimes still) its worth it to keep an eye out on the auction page of Yahoo Japan because that's the biggest chance to find the middle and high end LB but due to the lack of listings on Ebay lately it looks like most collectors have found there way overthere as well resulting in a price increase as well, not as extreme as on Ebay but its getting close. And of course the problem with bidding on those Japanese sites is that you'll need to have a third party as people from outside Japan cannot bid on those listings directly. This results in an extra cost that brings charges etc. which can be quite unclear untill you have to pay the amount you'll be charged with on top of the price of the item. For most people this system is the reason to stay away from these Japanese auctions.

But outside the auction websites mentioned above this board is housing a real big group of diehard collectors which do have some spare figs once in a while so its always an option to post a Topic in the Need Toys section to see if someone is willing to help you out or might have something to offer.

In the end it mostly comes to luck and $$ to be able to reach a full 112 BB/LB collection but being out here might make things a little more easy.

So be patient and while waiting its good to have a look at the board and using the search option most of the questions you have might be answered in topics that've been discussed over the years because so far I haven't found a better BB/LB library than LRG.

Enjoy!

#5 ScreaminDemon

ScreaminDemon

Cyber Monster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts , Laser Beasts , Beastformers , Shadow Warriors , War Monsters and any other variations of Battle Beasts including Beast Saga. Transformer decoys.

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:01 PM

Welcome :)
And good luck in your quest!
My problem completing a set of all 112 is all of the cool lrg related stuff I find and buy instead of saving for the next available laser beast on my need list.
Stay focused lol!
Demon

#6 organicbeets

organicbeets

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:17 PM

Welcome, this board is a wealth of info on these little dudes, and a great community of collectors.On that note, looks like you guys got it covered, and really it all depends on your style of collecting...but patience and persistent work well. Much Luck.

#7 Shinobisshinpads

Shinobisshinpads

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 02:21 AM

Well, I started this thread 2 and a half years ago and almost the day after life took some massive swings and I became swept away with children, responsibility and all of that phenomenon. 

In that time I have managed to acquire zero of the aforementioned Lasers! Zip. However now that I have a bit more time again I've decided to come back to the board, join in a little bit and if anyone can help on my quest (which restarts from today!) in acquiring these little guys feel free to poke me with nuggets of knowledge!

Edited by Shinobisshinpads, 02 October 2015 - 02:25 AM.

#8 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1852 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 06 October 2015 - 09:33 AM

Well, I started this thread 2 and a half years ago and almost the day after life took some massive swings and I became swept away with children, responsibility and all of that phenomenon. 

In that time I have managed to acquire zero of the aforementioned Lasers! Zip. However now that I have a bit more time again I've decided to come back to the board, join in a little bit and if anyone can help on my quest (which restarts from today!) in acquiring these little guys feel free to poke me with nuggets of knowledge!

Guess the info mentioned above is still more than usefull although some of the prices might have changed a little here and there but most of it is still accurate.

A successive hunt for LB will mainly be determined by the amount your willing/able to spend for them, the condition and completeness of the Beasts your are looking for and the connections because once you get into the higher regions its not said that every Beasts you are looking for is readily available even with a huge amount of money. Starting with the first 12 so called Lower LB is probably still the way to go in order to orientate yourself a little bit, getting the feeeling, and this will also make it easier to grow into the others and to determine for yourself wether you are ok spending higher amounts on the harder get Beasts. 

So try to determine a couple guidelines for yourself to work with (condition/amounts) and start the hunt via Ebay or maybe find some Beasts via fellow LRG members out here.

I might be able to help you out with a few depending on what you are looking for.

When it comes to Vintage items like these a 2,5 year break is not really in your benefit knowing that in time things become harder to find and thus might become more valuable but looking at my reply from 2,5 years ago not that much has changed so price wise there should be not a lot of differences for you but finding the Beasts might be a little less easy. 

Good luck and Enjoy the Beasts!

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#9 Sluglord

Sluglord

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Trash Bag Bunch, Bad Eggz Bunch, TF G1, the cool, old stuff.

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:34 AM

Congrats, man!

#10 retroactive80z

retroactive80z

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1237 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, Laser Beasts, Fake Battle Beasts, Custom Battle beasts.
    BATTLE BEASTS ROCK AND SO DO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted 08 October 2015 - 06:01 PM

Welcome back mate.
GJ said answered this question perfectly,

#11 Shinobisshinpads

Shinobisshinpads

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:55 AM

It's been nearly 2 years since my last updated, in what must be the most protracted pursuit of Laser Beasts there has ever been! Thought I would mention that in that time I have acquired 5 additionally laser beasts (which averages one every 5 months, which is rubbish, and coincidentally means I will compete my collection in just under 8 years.

Anyway, I now have Hound, Fennac, Fight Horn, Brown Lion and Hurricane. Pretty easy ones to get too, but it's progress (at a truely snail's pace).

I'm also actively looking still so if anyone has any spare that want to sell give me a shout! I promise I won't take 5 months to get back to you.

#12 Exactobeast

Exactobeast

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 05:28 AM

it's a marathon

#13 Spiritcrusher

Spiritcrusher

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:11 AM

I found all my Laser Beasts within about 6 months. I have the complete set, only missing 2 Laser guns.

You have to be very persistent and diligent. I was checking eBay 50 times a day to see if any new Laser Beasts had been posted. Checking this page every day and asking if anyone had any for sale. A few occasions I just got lucky with some of my finds.

But keep looking and you will find them. Good luck!

#14 Shinobisshinpads

Shinobisshinpads

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 12:02 PM

Wow, that is impressive, 6 months! Puts me to shame a fair bit. Do you mind if you did it in a money is no object way, or you set out with a ideal price and pretty much stuck with it?

Problem is being in the UK, so we just don't get as many Laser Beasts here. The only ones I find on ebay are from Europe (which is how I got these 4). Other than that it's tricky as a lot of US sellers won't send this way

#15 Jabroniville

Jabroniville

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 04:50 AM

Dang- what prices did you get on the "Later" LBs? The ones I see on eBay are always furiously expensive (anything hitting $100 Canadian is WAY too high for me), but I'm not sure of where I can even find them for cheaper. I'd LIKE some of them... but I just find I'm not willing to spend anywhere near the usual asking price for them.

Congrats on getting as many as you have, though. It took me a whole freakin' year to get just the "First Twelve", and I have NONE of the later ones!

Edited by Jabroniville, 30 June 2017 - 04:50 AM.

#16 Shinobisshinpads

Shinobisshinpads

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:43 AM

Hey wonder gang, I am keeping my updates going on this thread. If anyone is getting bored of my typing let me know and I will shut this nonsense right down.

This is by far the most exciting update yet (for me. Mainly for me). After 5 Laser Beast in 2 years I've overdosed on enthusiasm and acquired an additional 13 in just two months! This includes Hustlebear, Seahorn, Sea Panic, Puzzlecolour, skull Grotess, King Buster, Jeerer Monkey, Hornhead, Monkey Figter, Kickback, Flying Dragon, Grim Reefer and Salmomanther. 

That is massive and I feel absolutely giddy at such progress. And broke. 

Admittedly only Grotess, Salmomanther and King Buster have weapons so I've got a hefty weapon search ahead of me but I only need 5 actual beasts now. 

Boom!

Edited by Shinobisshinpads, 01 September 2017 - 09:23 AM.

#17 Exactobeast

Exactobeast

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 01:58 PM

Boom! Where'd you pick them up?

#18 Jabroniville

Jabroniville

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 02:47 AM

Wow! Did you get them from eBay?

#19 Shinobisshinpads

Shinobisshinpads

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:00 AM

Sorry for the late reply guys. Yes, from ebay, in a manner. There was an unsold Laser Beast that finished on ebay and I contacted him directly to see if he wanted to do a deal and then I found out he had a load more so I ended up purchasing a bunch. So I got quite lucky in a way as I think I got a decent deal for most of them.

#20 albaldwin83

albaldwin83

Closing in on the final LBs!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:21 AM

Hi Shinobisshinpads,

I sent you a PM - hope you got it?

albaldwin83

#21 Shinobisshinpads

Shinobisshinpads

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:21 PM

Been another two months since my last update, and managed to get Matfrenzy and Skybat in that time, as well as a couple of weapons. Now just need Gator and Slag King, plus weapons for the two two aforementioned beast, plus weapons for Hustlebear, Seahorn, Jeerer Monkey, Hornhead, Monkey Fighter, Kickback, Flying Dragon and Grim Reefer 

Just two more beast people!!

#22 Jabroniville

Jabroniville

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:23 AM

Good heavens! Nearly done so quickly?? The sheer cost of such a venture definitely chased me away from ever attempting something like this. Could you show any pics of your collection :)?

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com