- - - - -

Rare muscles just Kinnikuman bootlegs

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#101 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:46 AM

I wish I had more energy to respond to this. If I sound like an asshole it's because I'm tired, not because I'm trying to be an asshole.

1. eBay helps
I've participated and read a thousand threads like this on Star Wars message boards. While there are negative aspects of eBay, overall it helps. In the "dark times" (88~92) collectors started paying out the nose for common figures. Yak Faces were going for thousands of dollars because collectors in the US had never even seen a Yak Face. Once the internet, and eBay, came around suddenly there was a global exchange of information and the price landed around $100. He wasn't rare – just not in the US.

2. SC is not rare.
He's just not. If I took any M.U.S.C.L.E. figure and tracked his appearance I feel confident that he would appear nearly as often as SC.

3. Any type of production information is gone.
Most ISO-type or legal-type of documentation lands in the 5~7 year range. Even in a highly conservative organization it would be 10~15 years. MUSCLE production stopped over 25 years ago. The exception might be if MUSCLE was on par with Barbie or Hot Wheels. There would be more documentation that was kept or current processes that could be "reverse extrapolated.

4. They made a shitload of MUSCLEs.
It's a fact.

#102 Jet-Mech

Jet-Mech

The Man on the Silver Mountain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1531 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E., Monster In My Pocket, Gormiti, Trash Pack, other LRGs that may strike my fancy, and other stuff no-one else likely gives a damn about

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:34 AM

2. SC is not rare.
He's just not. If I took any M.U.S.C.L.E. figure and tracked his appearance I feel confident that he would appear nearly as often as SC.

SC does, however, remain desirable, due to the mystique or perceived rarity he has. I'm also pretty sure that, at this time, demand exceeds supply. Those two things combined help to drive up his price; I'm sure other factors play a role, too.

Current collecting goal: obtain all 148 Monster In My Pocket Series 1 figures in regular colors (71.62% there)

So many toys, so little money!

#103 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:45 PM

First off, I would love to buy an SC for Common MUSCLE Pricing. But yeah, demand and mystique. A lot of the people who have a Satan Cross won't sell it until they think they can make SUPER-RARE money, and they're not likely to just get tossed into random lots, either. This makes them seem rarer than they are.

Now, let's look at anecdotal information: I have one Satan Cross in my collection of 500-700 MUSCLEs. But you know what else I only have one of? Junkman (with the spikes). The announcer. That tank guy. Kendaman with his head on. Sunshine #3. Kani Base. Shishkebabebu. Terryman #31. Benkiman #44. BOTH versions of Meat. Ashuraman 0(#7. Kinnikuman #61. Goriki. The Sheik. #76. Hammerhead. Copper Bellman. Magnitude Man. Watchman. SW-26. AND MORE.

They just haven't shown up in random lots for me. Does this mean that they're rare?

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#104 NamaNiku

NamaNiku

FKA: uoozuman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3207 posts
  • Interests:http://nama-niku.blogspot.com/

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:18 PM

Nice ~ great post Rid m(_肉_)m
Posted Image

#105 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:55 PM

Thanks, now sell me SC for a dollar.

(I should note that I recently won a lot with several of the MUSCLEs I mentioned, specifically because I had only one of them)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#106 Leitmotiv

Leitmotiv

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:Caving, Mushrooming, Newsletter creation, radio, formicariums, guitar, singing, writing, thrift stores, garage saling, board games, discussion

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:18 PM

Well you guys have obviously been at this more seriously than I have, and I take your experience seriously. SC may not be rare, but hard to obtain. It's a fine line I suppose and comes down to semantics.

Still, I think our interactions with eBay gives us a misconstrued idea of reality. I think I made some valid points concerning it's impact. It's a mixed bag.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com