7 replies to this topic

#1 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 06 March 2008 - 01:48 PM

After researching and writing the MIMP Toypedia entry and acquiring dozens of MIMP over the past several weeks, it has just occurred to me that it may be possible to work out a MIMP Color Code in the exact same manner that URS and I worked out the MUSCLE Color Code.

Perhaps it's not even necessary, but I do note that Wolfgang writes on his Web site:

A scheme for #25-48 can not be seen yet, reported are one to four "new hot colors", they might exist in all four.

This leads me to believe that there is still a bit of a mystery as to which sculpts came in which colors... The pieces that really got me thinking about a MIMP Color Code were these little gems:

Posted Image
Image courtesy Wolfgang's MIMP archive

What is so important about the above sculpts is that two of them come from the 1st series, while the remaining 4 come from the 2nd series. While pondering why MEG chose such an odd combination of sculpts to cast in the special GITD plastic, it occurred to me that these 6 sculpts may have all been on the same molding tree.

;)

Edited by Soupie, 06 March 2008 - 01:50 PM.

Posted Image

#2 asator

asator

Still lurking around

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1145 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 02:29 PM

I'd be interested in helping research this. I have to admit though that I find this kind of thing VERY confusing. I've ready through your threads about the trees and whatnot and it's complete greek to me. But still, if there is any info you need that could help you, lemme know.

I dont know if it helps, but I've been working on a list of 4-packs and which figures came in them, their order and their color. Something that Wolfgang had hinted at trying to do, was to figure out if there was a pattern.

I also have to say that the packaging guide he lists for 12 packs, from what I can tell, is dead on.

He was wrong about them not making 4 packs for any other series though, as series 2 came out in 4-packs. I'm not sure if it was only in Europe or not though. I dont remember seeing them when I was young but you can find them easy enough on eBay. I also have a list of the series 2 4-packs

:EDIT: You should also check the "MIMP info" thread. Trumanshower has pictured almost all of the "hot new" colors with the exception of one I believe. If you go by his collection, then all series 1 figures were available in all 4 neon colors.

Edited by asator, 06 March 2008 - 02:35 PM.

#3 Guest_Dark Clown_*

Guest_Dark Clown_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2008 - 02:44 PM

What do you mean with color code?

Ghost and Cerberus are GITD because Ganesha and Herne the Hunter were deleted in the UK and replaced by those two series one figures. Some UK Hindus were angry about calling one of their gods a "monster".

All series 1 mimps came in all neon colors.
38 came in classic purple, 38 in red, 38 in green and 34 in yellow.

i agree with you DC !!

i've all the neon color serie 1 MIMP but 2 : catoblepas neon red and hobgoblin neon yellow.

the ones that don't exist (instead in mexican and argentinian edition) are :
*in yellow, graet beast, hydra, werewolf, behemoth, griffin, t rex, cockatrice, tengu, monster, yéti, baba yaga, harp, hobgoblin and windigo.
* in purple : werewolf, cockatrice, triton, kraken, monster, manticore, coatlicue, baba yaga,hobgoblin and windigo.
* in olive green : behemoth, cyclop, tengu, triton, kraken, jutun troll, manticore, karnak,coatlicue, haniver.
* in red : great beast, hydra, griffin, t rex,cyclop, jutun troll, karnak, yéti, harp, haniver.

#4 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 06 March 2008 - 04:04 PM

What do you mean with color code?

The term comes from the MUSCLE toy line. The MUSCLE toy line consists of 233 sculpts. MUSCLEs were made in a total of 10 colors. However, none of the 233 sculpts can be found in all 10 of the colors. >-< For years, MUSCLE collectors had no way of determining how many colors any specific sculpt could be found in. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason as to which colors a sculpt was made in. There were sculpts that could only be found in 4 colors, sculpts that could be found in 8, and sculpts that fell in between. [Finally, thanks to a Kinnikuman piece that Arforbes found, I was able to make a connection between the Grape board game figures and the Kinnikuman Part they belong to. Ah, hell, it's just too damn confusing to explain! The bottom line is, we finally found a pattern! :lol: )

The MUSCLE color code

Anyhow, it seems that Wolfgang's site isn't up-to-date, and that you've since determined just which colors all the sculpts were made, in which case you wouldn't need to use the "MUSCLE color code" method. Apparently other toy companies were able to avoid the confusing nonsense that Mattel was not. :rolleyes:

Also, in order to use this method, one would need to know if MIMP were cast together in groups, or cast individually. Seeing that 6 unique sculpts were chosen to be cast in GITD plastic led me to speculate that they may have been a casting "group."
Posted Image

#5 asator

asator

Still lurking around

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1145 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 11:07 PM

Ghost and Cerberus are GITD because Ganesha and Herne the Hunter were deleted in the UK and replaced by those two series one figures. Some UK Hindus were angry about calling one of their gods a "monster".

Is that why I keep seeing series 2 Monsterous 24-Packs with Ghost and Cerberus in them?

#6 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 07 March 2008 - 02:23 AM

I'm pretty sure that MIMP were molded according to their sets. I never collected them, but I remember seeing them packed according to series when I was a kid. I really know nothing about the things anyways. I never liked MIMP. :)

Posted Image

#7 PSlulitt

PSlulitt

MIMP Fiend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 04:59 AM

Is that why I keep seeing series 2 Monsterous 24-Packs with Ghost and Cerberus in them?

And furthermore, why was Herne the Hunter replaced?

#8 McCTXToys

McCTXToys

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:19 AM

I'm all in favor of seeing a color code done. Being a new collector, I think it would be a great resource.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com