• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 fkro6784

fkro6784

Little Weirdos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts
  • Interests:MIMP, Neclos Fortress, GPK, '80s fantasy toys, all kinds of monster-themed little rubber guys.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

I wanted to let everyone know about a little project I've been working on for a while.

Early last year I started getting majorly into Neclos/Necros Fortress keshi and it quickly became one of my favorite toy lines (actually, probably my favorite mini figure line ever). I love how it has so many crazy cool monster sculpts, and the fact that there's over 300 different figures to collect. I noticed there wasn't much info about the line out there, especially in English (and the Japanese Neclos archive site that people used before shut down recently). So a few months ago I decided to start working on a Neclos website of my own and finally have it ready to share. Here it is!

neclosfortress.com

It's got an archive of all of the figures from all 8 parts of the line shown with their card artwork (a few figures still missing but most are there), a photo gallery, background on the line, etc. I hope people find it useful! And if anyone has any suggestions of things to add, etc., I'd love to hear them.

14460229430_bb17eb3c18_n.jpg

#2 WarOnTheShore

WarOnTheShore

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

I've been looking to get into a new line of mini figures and Neclos might be it. I look forward to poring over your site!

#3 redjarojam

redjarojam

Taco Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:33 PM

Huzzah! I will be checking out the sire regularly! Thanks.

#4 BladeRunner

BladeRunner

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Interests:Secretly re-living the 80's behind my wifes back.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

You tha man Frank!!!

I heart Neclos!!!!

:woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

#5 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:10 PM

Frank K! Killing it, again!!

I am a big fan of your work, brother!

#6 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

FINALLY

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#7 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

I'm loving the site so far! Any word on how to play the RPG?

#8 fkro6784

fkro6784

Little Weirdos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts
  • Interests:MIMP, Neclos Fortress, GPK, '80s fantasy toys, all kinds of monster-themed little rubber guys.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

Thanks guys!

Rid, I'm not too sure about the specifics of the game, just that you would pick one of the 8 "characters" (knight, elf, dwarf etc) from each part to play as and then you'd have to use item/magic cards to defeat the monsters. Hopefully at some point someone can offer more details on that.

#9 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:17 PM

If you have extra documents on how to play the RPG, a couple members on here know how to translate Japanese really well...

I also LOVE part 8, with the Lovecraftian derived monsters. Hilarious!
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

And you are here, with them, as so many specks of sand.

#10 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

Wow! Awesome. Very well done, easy to navigate, and gorgeous, creative pictures! Super great resource!
Posted Image

#11 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:29 PM

So awesome to finally see it up and running! Will Help me in finishing my last few need for my set.

#12 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:17 PM

I actually almost won one of the figures that's missing on your site (the late-set starfish one). Too bad, there...

So, we all need someone to help translate the game rules! And if anybody could actually play the video games, there's that, too...

#13 fkro6784

fkro6784

Little Weirdos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:24 AM

So, we all need someone to help translate the game rules! And if anybody could actually play the video games, there's that, too...

The video game that was released is so random. It's a fighter game that uses some of the characters (like the apple monster and starfish monster), but aside from that really seems to have nothing to do with the toy line.

#14 bigazzhead

bigazzhead

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts
  • Interests:Mini Figure interests:
    Monster in my Pocket
    Megaman/Rockman
    Dragon Ball
    Dragon Quest
    Old Nintendo
    Gegege no Kitaro
    general monster keshi
    Ghostbusters
    Zombie related stuff
    and anything cool. (yeah I know pretty vague)

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

Effing fantastic! I was kinda tempted to get the mandrake book that's on yahoo.jp until I realized it's at over 100.00 now. Your site saves my wallet which is getting hit pretty hard this year.

#15 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

Right, that's the Fighter Maker game - it's a custom game. There was also a PC Engine RPG that apparently followed it more closely.

http://www.videogame...reviews/nny.htm

http://www.thebrothe...-no-yousai.html

#16 fkro6784

fkro6784

Little Weirdos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:46 AM

Right, that's the Fighter Maker game - it's a custom game. There was also a PC Engine RPG that apparently followed it more closely.

http://www.videogameden.com/hucard/reviews/nny.htm

http://www.thebrothersduomazov.com/2010/11/necros-no-yousai.html

Oh, I didn't even know about that one--thanks for those links. It does appear to follow the toy storyline a lot more closely. I'd be curious to play it and see how many of the different characters are represented in there.

#17 Grimace

Grimace

LittleRubberGal Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

This is so amazing! Thank you for your hard work. :)

#18 BladeRunner

BladeRunner

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Interests:Secretly re-living the 80's behind my wifes back.

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:08 PM

Frank, are you going to make classifications of the figures? Class A's, B's & C's????

:rolleyes:

#19 fkro6784

fkro6784

Little Weirdos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:18 AM

Frank, are you going to make classifications of the figures? Class A's, B's & C's????

:rolleyes:

Hmm, not sure I should (or even could) go there. :)

#20 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

Some of us history-and-folklore-and-RPG-minded people could probably help you with monster descriptions!

Considering that Series 8 is the Cthulhu series, I think the "Gaunt" is meant to be a Nightgaunt.

Edited by Ridureyu, 23 April 2013 - 09:57 PM.

#21 fkro6784

fkro6784

Little Weirdos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:55 AM

Some of us history-and-folklore-and-RPG-minded people could probably help you with monster descriptions!

Considering that Series 8 is the Cthulhu series, I think the "Gaunt" is meant to be a Nightgaunt.

I was wondering how many figures were Lovecraft inspired. I don't know too much about that stuff. I know Cthulhu, Innsmouth, Tsathoggua, Nyarlathotep for sure, and I think you're right about the Gaunt. I was thinking the Night-Wing from part 6 also might be, but not sure.

With some of the Japanese-to-English misspellings/interpretations, it can be hard to tell if certain characters were made up for the line or if they were supposed to be based on a myth/folklore monster. Some are obvious, others not so much.

Edited by fkro6784, 24 April 2013 - 05:56 AM.

#22 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

Night-wing REALLY looks like a Mythos creature, but it doesn't match up with any of them. there is a D&D Moon Calf, though... http://dnd.sendric.c...hns/image01.jpg

#23 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:56 PM

There are some other things, too - I know about the angels, but are any other "monsters" actually allies? Look at that medic guy, or Tao, for example.

#24 fkro6784

fkro6784

Little Weirdos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:39 PM

There are some other things, too - I know about the angels, but are any other "monsters" actually allies? Look at that medic guy, or Tao, for example.

Yeah, pretty sure those kinds of characters are used as allies in the game, to help you defeat monsters.

Also realized today there's a bit more detail on the gameplay in some posts here. This is the main one:

Butcher - December 8, 2009 11:46 PM (GMT)
fairly simple: each player chooses a class (they all have different stats and skills). you then take a pre-made map,available in quest kits which feature a variation of Neclos and whoever he has kidnapped that time (IE, quest for the Fairy-queen, Search Sword of Omens, or rescue of the royal king), and place random encounter cards through out the dungeon.

Creatures are fought, and defended against with dice in a simple d6 +stat vs d6 vs +stat. Skills are used with d6 + character level vs task difficulty. Items either add to stats (weapons, armor, etc), heal hp/mp (potions), are worth gold (statues, jewelry, etc) or are used as key items in simple "find the key item" puzzles.

The game is one by the person who has the most gold at the end of the game. The game ends by someone Killing Neclos and escaping the dungeon with the goal (king, sword, etc). Working together to beat Neclos or tough monsters, and dividing loot equally can turn a competitive game into a group dungeon crawl.

That is the short version. Any questions?

#25 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:06 PM

More info! All the info possible! Even translations (and then i am so running it electronically).

What about the insignia some creatures share with Neclos's series 2 lieutenants? Does that alter anything?

Also - the first four sets have monsters divided by level. Right... character level? Then the rest have them divided by chapter. And then area. What changed?

Edited by Ridureyu, 24 April 2013 - 08:07 PM.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com