11 replies to this topic

#1 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:54 AM

Titans-Skullsmasher.png

One of the funniest things about Transformers fans is how many of them hatehateHATE "gimmicks," even though the whole line is based around gimmicks. Even if you ignore transformation in and of itself, it wasn't very long in the original line before you had combiners, triple changers, targetmasters, and... headmasters.

Titans-RepugnusLurk.png

Headmasters popped up in 1987, just in time to be featured in the series finale of the Transformers cartoon ("Rebirth"). They later got a TV series in Japan all to themselves (a continuation of the US cartoon), and the gimmick showed up here and there in future sets, even retooled into "brainmasters" at one point. Essentially, it worked like this - a headmaster was a transformer whose head detached and unfolded into another tiny character. Yes, that's it. It's a cool little way to get a bonus figure, and you could swap their heads around. And now it's back! The current non-movie non-animated Transformers line, Titans Return, is all about "titan masters," i.e. headmasters. You can swap regular figure heads, and they've even released mini-transformers who are basically just shells to hold the heads. And of course, there you go. Today, we are going to look at four mini titan masters, plus one regular transformer. The regular figure exists to show off the "weapon modes" of each titan master, plus their heads - you'll see him at the end. For now, though, let's look at these little guys! They're clever remakes of classic (and often never seen since the original) figures!

Titans-Repugnus.png

Repugnus is my favorite out of the group - remember that scene in Big where Tom Hanks asked why he couldn't have a robot that turned into a giant bug monster? Well, there you go. Repugnus is a Monsterbot, one of a select group of Autobots who are like, THIS close to being Decepticons. Classic Repugnus looked almost exactly like this albeit with more paint apps and no wings. He's been kindasorta remade a couple of times, but this is the first straight-up new version of his vintage design. The headmaster plugs into the torso of the bug monster, filling it out.

Titans-RepugnusHead.png

Here's the headmaster, designed after the vintage figure and his appearance in the (japanese) cartoon. The only real difference between this and the vintage figure is the size of the eyes - bigger in the cartoon than on the figure.

Titans-RepugnusHeadmaster.png

Once unfolded, this tiny little figure actually looks like Repugnus - note the detailing on the head or the legs. Headmasters are small and simple, but still recognizable.

Titans-RepugnusAlt.png

Here's his "Chariot" transformation, which... to be honest, is one of those "Because I said so" forms. Like, sure, you can sorta believe it's a vehicle... with feet sticking up. Anyway, the little Repugnus headmaster's feet plug into some tiny posts to help him sit securely (there are also extra posts he can't use).

Titans-RepugnusWeapon.png

Repugnus's weapon form is also in the "because I said so" category - when viewed from the front, you might miss those eyes, and then the blades sort of make it look right. But let's be honest, this figure is all about his monsterbot form.

Titans-RepugnusOriginal.png

You can easily pop off the wings and put them back on, which makes Repugnus an exact remake of the vintage figure (it didn't have wings). I love how Transformers are designed to come apart rather than break, and you can do this without trouble.

Titans-RepugnusSecretMode.png

And now for... an undocumented transformation! The chariot, when upside-down, makes Repugnus even more buglike!

Titans-RepugnusNeckBeard.png

And if you feel like it, you can pull his head out, and then flip down the gun handle to give him a beard.

Titans-RepugnusSuit.png

What's also fairly unique to this figure is how you can flip up his head and, thanks to the positioning of the headmaster, kindasorta give him a normal "robot" mode. Repugnus has a surprising amount of bonus play value.

Titans-Fangry.png

On the side of the Decepticons, we've got Fangry. Much like Repugnus, this "robot in disguise" disguises himself as an unrealistic monster. Fangry is a wolf-headed bat, which admittedly is pretty cool. His headmaster plugs into his chest, though you insert it in the back.

Titans-FangryHead.png

Fangry has his classic head, even including the green that shows up nowhere else on his figure. Ever notice how many Transformers wear sunglasses? Interesting, that.

Titans-FangryHeadmaster.png

Seeing as how Fangry was actually a headmaster back in the day, his figure unfolds into Brisko, his classic headmaster.

Titans-FangryAlt.png

Fangry's "Chariot" mode is actually a dragon! It's not based on anything the original figure did, it's just a cool little bonus. And it's coherent!

Titans-FangryWeapon.png

Though his weapon form is very much "Because I said so," even though it has a gun barrel. It's those limbs and wings.

Titans-Sawback.png

Sawback is based on Liones, a classic Autobot (an animal-based headmaster). And as you can see, he's a robotic winged lion. The headmaster plugs into the back of his head.

Titans-SawbackHead.png

The headmaster is based on the head he used to turn into - amusing, since his format is kind of different this time (the original figure was a lion that turned into a head).

Titans-SawbackHeadmaster.png

The Headmaster has a lion face, homaging that fact!

Titans-SawbackAlt.png

Sawback's chariot mode

Titans-SawbackWeapon.png

Instead of a weapon, Sawback turns into a shielf - and for once, it works! The face seem slike the kind of thing you'd see on a shield, and those limbs fold away nicely.

Titans-Overboard.png

Overboard's original name was Overkill, and although this figure has been done twice before (once as Crashbash and once as a Grimlock pastiche), it's still fairly fresh. The headmaster plugs into his chest, stretched out so its legs for his lower aw and its arms form his arms.

Titans-OverboardHead.png

The head is a repaint of Crashbash's, as classic Overkill never had an ordinary robot mode.

Titans-OverboardHeadmaster.png

As a headmaster, he looks somewhat different than the Crashbash head, though matches reasonably well.

Titans-OverboardAlt.png

Overboard's chariot form is a dragon! And although it kind of looks a lot like a turkey, it's a pretty good figure on its own terms. The headmaster can plug its feet into some tiny pegs and stand on the tail.

Titans-OverboardWeapon.png

His weapon mode is, again, clearly holding a dinosaur and pointing its butt at people, though it's almost sorta not really believable. These seem to generally be the weakest transformations.

Titans-SkullsmasherBot.png

And the Transformer who has been standing in for those pictures if Skullsmasher, originally named Skullcruncher. A classic Decepticon headmaster, his head is a separate character named Grox. He has a fair amount of kibble, including turning his alligator tail into a shield/gun/thing.

Titans-GroxHeadmaster.png

Grox looks just the same as before, making up Skullsmasher's head.

Titans-Grox.png

The headmaster looks just like Grox always did.

Titans-SkullsmasherGator.png

His alt form is an alligator, and it comes together fairly well.

Titans-SkullsmasherCockpit.png

There's a fold-out panel in his beast form's back where Grox can fit, giving the headmaster a place in both modes! In fact, you can even turn Skullsmasher's tail/shield/whatever piece into a vehicle. It's a nice little touch, though odd how it doesn't work with either form.

Titans-GroxGun.png

Well, there you go. The headmasters have returned after all these years, with tons of references and remakes from the old days! It's really nice to see charcaters like Repugnus gain, though one hopes that they'll receive full-sized figures in the future, too.

Titans-Kaiju.png

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 Unyaro

Unyaro

I have an FoA problem, and I'm okay with it!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Interests:Fistful of Aliens, Fistful of Power, Z-Bots, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball Super, Gundam converge mini's, Dragon anything.

Posted 09 June 2017 - 02:16 PM

I love creeping on your picture threads, never end up replying so .... creep... creep...creep :D

-------------------------------------------------------------- My FoA Collection ----------------------------------------------------------

#3 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 09 June 2017 - 05:35 PM

You missed the best of all!

Twinferno, AKA Doublecross.

His headmaster is a homage to Pirate Lion even!

(It is possible you already know all of this.)

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#4 Unyaro

Unyaro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Interests:Fistful of Aliens, Fistful of Power, Z-Bots, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball Super, Gundam converge mini's, Dragon anything.

Posted 09 June 2017 - 05:52 PM

Ive actually not seen this line yet! I love my "mech" type stuff. I have some exosquad, gundam, and transformers all mixed together or sorts. These guys are super cool tho! I love the black and purple coloring on that one!

-------------------------------------------------------------- My FoA Collection ----------------------------------------------------------

#5 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 12:29 AM

Yeah, it would be nice if I could find Twinferno, as well as some of the others.  But there are some cool figures - and those little guys are like $5!

#6 Unyaro

Unyaro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 05:54 AM

So these guys came in the smaller figures and you just kinda built your own master guy out of them all, kinda whatever you wanted to build? or do they only fit in specific spots so the big guy you have here is like THE BIG GUY? Again not familiar with the set too much (i have some tiny titans though) but these seem really cool! Maybe ill try and find some. Still need to get my new display cases up to see what im going to have for room, ive got a MILLION FoP i have never even posted on here yet.

Edited by Unyaro, 11 June 2017 - 05:55 AM.

#7 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 12:50 PM

The big guy is a basic Transformer - the TItans Return basic Transformers have removable heads.  The little guys are sold as head+monsterish shell, and you can see where the "head" plugs in to, like, fill out the torso or such.  For example, with Repugnus, hi chest is atually the small head figure (it's the back of the head, so you're looking at the mini figure's "legs").

#8 Acidonia

Acidonia

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:31 AM

Hope these show up in UK some only the first wave of the small head master figures have hit stores here so far.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:29 PM

Hope these show up in UK some only the first wave of the small head master figures have hit stores here so far.

Canada is slow too. It's strange, because I've seen some of the more recent stuff like Krok. However, I'm yet to see a Repugnus. (I have my wife check every damn time she goes to Wal-Mart.)

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#10 Acidonia

Acidonia

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:44 AM

Canada is slow too. It's strange, because I've seen some of the more recent stuff like Krok. However, I'm yet to see a Repugnus. (I have my wife check every damn time she goes to Wal-Mart.)

Well its Hasbro there well Known for this I mean I knew Yo Kai watch toys would be hard to find in UK because there by them. I was right no where in UK ever seem to get more than the first 6 mini figures with medals and only going up to series 2 of the first watch. Yet they heavily advertised the toys and games.The whole series was sent out to die in UK because even the TV show cartoon network only air at 8am on Saturday with no tv ad's for it and they started editing scenes out which was in the US dub.

The later waves of their toy lines might show up here but for alot its just only in Toy Sales and in discount stores months later.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:06 PM

You can't find Repugnus, huh? Passed up two of them at TRU the other days (but I did get a Shuffler, yay!). If only I'd known! Ah well, there's still TFcon. ;)

#12 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:56 AM

Repugnus's wave is in one TRU near-ish to me, but nowhere else.  Uh, give me two minutes, and that review will be posted.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com