• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:02 PM

We recently put in a pretty decent little garden. Growing nicely!

Attached File  CAM00146.jpg   293.16K   47 downloads

A quick shot of the entire garden

Attached File  CAM00147.jpg   276.95K   43 downloads

These were all from seeds. Carrots, radishes and lettuce. The radishes sprouted and leafed up pretty good until my wife though it would be a good idea to turn the soil. Needless to say they almost all withered and died. The carrots are sprouting nicely though.

Attached File  CAM00148.jpg   279.64K   21 downloads

Watermelon, cantaloupe and grapes (in the pot)

Attached File  CAM00149.jpg   240.04K   19 downloads

Green and yellow cucumbers (yeah, I never knew there were yellow cucumbers either).

Attached File  CAM00150.jpg   263.01K   18 downloads

Green beans, onions, green and yellow squash and cilantro.

Attached File  CAM00151.jpg   256.75K   19 downloads

Peppers! Bell, salsa, cayenne, jalapeno and habanero.

Attached File  CAM00152.jpg   290.63K   17 downloads

Tomatillos, regular tomatoes and cherry tomatoes.

Attached File  CAM00153.jpg   268.93K   17 downloads

Corn (and a few onions). I hear that you only get one corn per stalk, That seems kind of a waste to me.

Attached File  CAM00154.jpg   235.18K   18 downloads

Another shot of the squash plants. And my dwarf lemon tree in a pot.

Attached File  CAM00155.jpg   283.91K   24 downloads

My new green apple tree (next to Edna)

Attached File  CAM00156.jpg   253.98K   20 downloads

My new nectarine tree. Both of these are separated by my humongous orange tree.

If this year goes well, I'd like to expand it. Our back yard is huge and has a lot of unused space. I'd like to make it productive (and edible!!)

Does anyone else here do much gardening?

#2 jason76basin

jason76basin

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

awesome. we are getting ready to start building some raised bed gardens like that, but it's a touch too late for us to really plant this yeari think, but i'll have it ready for next year for sure. we grew tons and tons of tomatoes though. let me know how well that fence keeps rabits and other rodents out that'll eat your crops. i may have to go that route if it works well.......sitting outside with the gun would be tiresome lol

#3 89cpe

89cpe

sweep the leg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1510 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

Jason where are you from? We want to start a garden when we move but well have to wait until next year as well being in pennsylvania. Jon how is it for you in a more mild climate? Can you plant any time?

#4 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:47 PM

My wife would be mad jelly, Jon. Our garden pales in comparison.

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#5 jason76basin

jason76basin

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:53 PM

i'm from tennessee.....if i was gonna garden this year it shoulda been planted quite some time ago. i just want to go ahead and get it done for next year because i love homegrown things. except tomatoes....i hate them,  but we have tons. go figure.

#6 bigburty

bigburty

Cushty Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2409 posts
  • Interests:MIMP
    Armorvors
    Crayboths
    MUSCLE
    SLUG Zombies
    OMFG

This and that - mostly that!

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:38 AM

Here's a quick pic of our garden after a lot of work recently. My wife and I both work so have little time to put into the garden, so a big thanks has to go to my parents for getting it to look like this. I did do the pathway myself though. We're mainly growing a variety of herbs at the moment, off picture in the bottom left hand corner. All of the other boarders were only planted a couple of days ago so are yet to come through. We look forward to when they do :)

751D7925-6537-421C-91CD-FB2F25CE9F92-919

Edited by bigburty, 08 June 2013 - 12:41 AM.

#7 walker13.1

walker13.1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4950 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:27 AM

My parents had pretty big gardens in Michigan and Tennessee.  The people who owned the house in Micigan before us used sheep poop as fertilizer, and that created a LOT of weeds.  It was not fun pulling all those out, but eventually after a year or so the amount of weeds died down.  I also remember in Michigan we had to put tarps over the garden each month during the summer because a few times the weather caused some frost.  Yes, that happened during the summer time there.  In Tennessee I remember my dad put up a pretty high electric fence, but remember one morning seeing it had bent because a deer was still able to jump over it.  We only saw one or two sets of foot prints, so I guess it was shocked and jumped immediately out of the garden when it landed inside.

Edited by walker13.1, 08 June 2013 - 01:32 AM.

#8 Matlock

Matlock

My name is matlock and i am a lrg addict.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E.
    Nintendo - NES,SNES,N64,GB,GBA,DS,3DS
    Lego- Mini Figs
    Micro Machines.
    BB.
    GPK.Cheapies, and OS Cards.
    Minikins.
    Bouncy balls.
    Dice.
    Dino's.
    Trash pack.
    Homies.
    Slugs.
    MIMP.
    Savage Mondo Blitzers.
    Uglies.
    Customs.
    All other cool looking little rubber guys!!
    Hand Blown Glass.
    Pliers.
    Marbles.
    Rocks/Minerals
    Knives.
    Hats.
    Old mason jars.

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:46 AM

Very nice garden.
Brown chicken , brown cow

#9 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:16 PM

Jason where are you from? We want to start a garden when we move but well have to wait until next year as well being in pennsylvania. Jon how is it for you in a more mild climate? Can you plant any time?

We usually plant in the spring, but apparently you can plant in late winter as well. My brother said that the radishes would harvest int he cold weather, so later in the fall?

Nice set up Burty!

#10 89cpe

89cpe

sweep the leg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1510 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:57 PM

Ahh ok so not much different than us. A garden is a great way to save some cash on food and can be ascetically pleasing as well. I camt wait to start ours

#11 el midgetron

el midgetron

Squirrel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:28 AM

Here is what we got going :)  This is the first year we have done raised beds, they are 8x5. Not a lot of green to see yet, our growing season is shorter than California's. We would like to grow from (and save) seed but so far have just been using starts. The majority of what we put in are heirloom. In the photo we have strawberries, winter squash, Jalapenos, green peppers, broccoli, kale, chard, zucchini, cucumber, onion, tomatoes and in the bottom left corner (outside the beds) we have a raspberry that we transplanted last year.

After taking this photo yesterday, I transplanted some chives and garlic into the 4th bed. We still have a little room and will probably add some green beans and more herbs.

On the other side of the house we have a small plot up against the house. There we have oregano, parsley, more squash & tomatoes, and I just transplanted some horseradish, rhubarb and more chives & garlic.

We also got a second compositor this year after filling our first one this past winter  :yucky:

xIMG_2806_zps2cea78df.jpg

This year I am also doing some in planting in my Mother's garden as its getting to difficult for her to maintain. So far I have only put (more) tomatoes in there. However, she has a nice variety of annuals, which is where I have been transplanting from. In her yard she has garlic, chives, rhubarb, currants, 2 varieties of raspberries, blackberries, onions, parsley, mint, concord grapes, mulberry, cherry (although, I think she might have had this pruned to the point of no return..). I have already harvested a rhubarb crop this year

I'm game to post more photos once the season is rolling  :thumbsup:

Edited by el midgetron, 09 June 2013 - 06:21 AM.

Posted Image

#12 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:45 PM

That is awesome Midge!

We need to put in a drip irrigation system like it looks like you have.

I definitely want to plant some blackberries. Those things thrive so much here that they can be like weeds :lol: .

#13 el midgetron

el midgetron

Squirrel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:22 PM

Thanks man !

Yeah, we have soaker hoses for each of the boxes, just haven't gotten them all in place yet. 

I canned that rhubarb today. Did 4 pints of pickled rhubarb and a couple jars of rhubarb vanilla jam  :)

xIMG_2863_zpsb1181ac6.jpg

Posted Image

#14 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts
  • Interests:Muscle men, and Kinnikuman

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:56 AM

Those are awesome, I started a raised garden box like those last year and had great success, I made another smaller one this year and then an in ground one as well.  I live in Colorado so the snow only melted a couple weeks ago, I will post pictures when it warms up and my shit starts growing hahaha.

#15 walker13.1

walker13.1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4950 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:32 AM

I canned that rhubarb today. Did 4 pints of pickled rhubarb and a couple jars of rhubarb vanilla jam  :)

I have an address some of that can be sent to.  :)

#16 imperfecz

imperfecz

Götter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4302 posts
  • Interests:stuff n stuff

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:49 AM

I try to grow stuff, but am mostly successful at killing plants via over/underwatering & not keeping up on pest removal. Buuuuut I'm trying again. Just started out with a jalapeno plant and some chocolate mint.

I'm really curious on the pickled rhubarb though. Iss that a sweet pickled sort of thing, or more vinegar like?

#17 DDR

DDR

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:MUSCLE Salmon #108

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:49 PM

I'm unsure about rhubarb pickling.  

Tilliage or turning should be done before the plant is put in, otherwise you'll injure the roots.  Turn compost into the soil each year and try to fertalize before the plants go in.  Make sure plantings are done in direct sunlight.

Water your plants in the morning before the heat of the day, so that they have water when they need it and the plant/soil surface will be dry by nightfall.  It takes an hour or so for vegetables to uptake a watering, so time accordingly.  Scratch  an inch or two into soil before before watering... If wet/saturated, do not water. Do your best to never wet the leaves, stems or branches. You will save yourself a lot of trouble in this manner.

If you want to get serious, we can discuss seasonal cover crop, soil testing & drip irrigation.

In agriculture, above all else, timing is everything... Mind the season and don't think about what you should be doing currently,  think about whats coming next and prepare for that.

A bit late... Some garden pics.  No spray, all organic.  Its only just started, the tomatoes will be well above those stakes by late summer (likewise with the cucumbers/trellis).  The primery backround trees are Guava, Fig, Pear and something called Suriname Cherry from Brazil (its nice to be gardening in SoCal).

Attached Files

Edited by DDR, 12 June 2013 - 04:53 PM.

#18 DDR

DDR

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:09 PM

We usually plant in the spring, but apparently you can plant in late winter as well. My brother said that the radishes would harvest int he cold weather, so later in the fall?

Nice set up Burty!

Yes, some crops like radishes, peas, beans, carrots, broccoli, cabbage, beets, lettuce and kale, among others are planted in early spring (harvested by or about now) and also in late summer early fall (harvested prior to winter).  These cool weather crops do not do well in the hotter portion of summer.  However, the late summer planting can only be done in areas with milder winters so plants have long enought to grow and produce a crop before things get harsh. We are a bit of an exception in CA  and can get away with this ;)

Regular spring summer crops like egg plants, peppers and tomatoes kind of shut down thier vegetative growth (leaves and branches) as we get into summer and only produce flowers and fruit.... Meaning that any tomatoes planted late will stay the same size, only bearing small fruit.  So that discounted 6 inch twig of tomato you (figuratively) will want to buy in a few weeks will result in a piddly worthless crop.  :laugh2: 

Vegtables and annuals are like this: either leaves/branches or fruit/flowers.  So, should one be late planting... you kinda missed the boat.

Edited by DDR, 12 June 2013 - 05:21 PM.

#19 DDR

DDR

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:20 PM

If you guys have fruit trees that go dormant and lose their leaves, PM me in winter... Seriously. :)

#20 ALLSPORTDVD

ALLSPORTDVD

Ameragu Chojin No Bosu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1235 posts
  • Interests:Anything Kinnikuman!

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:44 PM

I never expected to see so many posts & pics about gardening on this site LOL

Me being from Australia can plant & garden all year long, I guess we take that for granted!

Check out my collection pics - https://www.flickr.c...107790593@N02/?

#21 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:06 PM

DDR that garden is incredible!

#22 ComradeCuttlefish

ComradeCuttlefish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

Uhhh, too much work. Can I pay someone to do this for me? Oh, ....right, ....the grocery store.

Just kidding, they look awesome! Good work. Right now I just have some smaller window pots with various herbs, some avocado plants (that will never fruit), and I'll probably do some onions and carrots again.

#23 McCTXToys

McCTXToys

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:57 AM

Nice setups guys!  My wife & I would like to do one, but the dogs would tear it up.  

#24 DDR

DDR

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:08 AM

DDR that garden is incredible!

Likewise bud! ;)

#25 el midgetron

el midgetron

Squirrel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:52 AM

If you guys have fruit trees that go dormant and lose their leaves, PM me in winter... Seriously. :)

Can I PM you now? I'll never remember by winter...... 

Your stepped terrace garden is awesome  :thumbsup:  :yes:

Edited by el midgetron, 16 June 2013 - 05:53 AM.

Posted Image

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com