Theme© by Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Bought new Beastformers VS Laserbeasts, should I open it?!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Shinobisshinpads

Shinobisshinpads

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:23 PM

Hey folk,

In my quest to complete my Laser Beasts collection, somehow I've persuaded myself to buy a brand new Beastformers vs Laserbeasts set to instantly cross off three of the high end bad boys. However now that it's on its way, I'm wondering if I should open it! With most vintage toys the value drops a hell of lot as soon as you open it, and there aren't many of these sets around, so I guess my question is am I being a fool in opening this little number?

#2 Spiritcrusher

Spiritcrusher

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:45 PM

If you are keeping it for your own collection, I don't see any problem with opening it. As long as the box set is complete, the value really won't change much regardless if it was opened or not. It's just one little piece of tape on the side of the box keeping it "sealed".

#3 Exactobeast

Exactobeast

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:41 PM

Until 5 years from now when it's worth 1.5x and you regret it.....

#4 Dpsexpress

Dpsexpress

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Hardcore collector/ main focus Star Wars but I pretty much love all 80s toys

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:57 AM

open it. open them alll!!!!! Mwahahahahahahahaha

Follow me on Instagram @Dpsexpress

#5 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:23 AM

I always say to "free the toys."

When the people who collect this stuff stop collecting it, it'll all be worthless anyway. If you never plan on selling it, does it matter what the dollar value is?

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#6 Dpsexpress

Dpsexpress

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Hardcore collector/ main focus Star Wars but I pretty much love all 80s toys

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:29 AM

I always say to "free the toys."

When the people who collect this stuff stop collecting it, it'll all be worthless anyway. If you never plan on selling it, does it matter what the dollar value is?

I'm on board with you Drazner. Thats actually why ive started inscribing my name on the bottom of all my toys feet!! Degrade the value enough so i can never sell them. Ironically my name is Andy, Ihope people dont think they are movie props from Toy Story :)

Follow me on Instagram @Dpsexpress

#7 Shinobisshinpads

Shinobisshinpads

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:40 AM

I've just received a private message from someone that has given the his reasons for keeping the seal in tact, many of which I've been tackling with myself, so though I would post it here;

"First off it´s important to say that I´m ALWAYS on the side that´s supporting to preserve the History of the Battle Beasts rather than fooling around with it so that obviously means I´d suggest you NOT to open the seal. But why.... 

I understand that this might´ve been quite a big purchase knowing todays value of those sets and that you´ve done it with the intention to check a couple of the high end Beasts from your list. From that point of view that´s a great score and eventually you might even be better of buying the set since if you´d have had to hunt them down loose prices would´ve added up quickly as well. BUT if you´ve to leave them sealed in the pack I get it might be a bit hard knowing you have them but on the other hand you can´t get to them... That´s a tough position to be in and that´s also the main reason why some do open a sealed package, understandable on one end but a shame on the other.

Sealed packs are becoming harder and harder to find and although there´s enough tempting reasons to open it there´s an equal amount of reasons for not doing so. For some a seal is just a little tape that´s easily cut through and it´s not a big deal but for others the seal is much more than that since it´s exactly that little tape that´s the difference between having a piece from the past in hand or holding a piece of history in its original state. Of course as some already stated from a value point of view the seal can make a big difference which in time will become over bigger so cutting that single tape makes a big difference when it comes to value. Apart from that, and maybe more important, is the fact that there´s always some kind of mystery surrounding sealed packs or box sets knowing you´ve this original piece of untouched History. Those figs have been inside that pack since they left the factory in China and the decision whether to break that seal and take them out for the first time in almost 30 years is on your shoulders... Taking them out gives you the feel you do have them in hand whereas leaving them inside doesn´t eventually make a whole big of a difference because in the end they´ll probably end up back inside or being displayed outside the box. The only difference is that in one case you break the seal and a part of the mystery and history that came with this set disappears while on the other hand you leave the seal intact and it stays as it is. In the end it´s just the mindset imo and what you think is most important to you but also for the future. In 30 years none has been tempted, or dared, to break the seal meaning they probably had a good reason for that. 

I hope you will leave the set intact and find the inner peace to display it as such preserving the history and leaving the mystery surrounding this box intact.

In the end it´s all up to you but it´s important to realize that cutting the tape is more than just cutting the tape  ;) 

Enjoy the Beasts! 

ps. In some case the tape has become so old/yellowed/aged that it´s about to fall of in which case the seal would be broken as well (due to aging). And even though the result is the same the feel is different since it´s something you can´t prevent so maybe time will tell..."

#8 Shinobisshinpads

Shinobisshinpads

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:46 AM

in saying that my response was that when purchasing the original pack never for a moment would I have imagined that I wouldn't open them up. I spent an awful lot of money so that I could reduce the number of Laser Beasts needed for my collection, not to pay that money for a piece of memorabilia that I hadn't planned to own. In reality this would mean having to go and buy the same Laser Beasts individually again, because I'm not going to be content with saying further down the line here's my compete collection of LaserBeasts, you just can't see three of them as they're taking a 30 year time out in their box. Also the value thing doesn't quite add up, because if I was to buy the same beasts individually it would amount to the same price as the box, perhaps more if I was to resel the chariot and cards. Crumbs, what have I got myself into....

#9 Rubberhammer

Rubberhammer

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2463 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:42 AM

Open it.

Sell what you don't want, to recoup whatever you can get for them, and enjoy knowing that you got a good deal on some mint beasts.

#10 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:26 AM

Do what you want. It displays nicely as is, keep it sealed if you have the slightest inkling that you may sell as a whole someday. If you are only interested in the laser Beast, then pull them out and sell the rest I'm sure you'll get decent money for it.

#11 TMAN

TMAN

M.U.S.C.L.E. HUNTER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1148 posts
  • Interests:Anything M.U.S.C.L.E. TMNT. NKE 6.0 Mutants. Customs!

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:44 PM

I'd open it, I like to be able to hold things in my hands, if they are in the package I don't really feel they are mine.
th_fdfc5f0f35daf26c472dce86f63f9f9e.jpg

#12 Skullcruncher

Skullcruncher

Transformer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:10 PM

Has it arrived yet, and did you open it?

Personally if I purchased something something at sealed prices I would keep it sealed as opening would devalue it tenfold! If it was a steal I would sell it for profit and buy a loose set lol

#13 imperfecz

imperfecz

Götter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4302 posts
  • Interests:stuff n stuff

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:16 AM

Just by the length of that wall of text, and the language in the little bit I skimmed.... "someone" is pretty obvious.

#14 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:22 AM

If you want to open it, then I suggest that you use it as trade fodder to someone who has a mint, opened set.
Trade them the sealed one you have, for theirs and whatever the cash difference is.

#15 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:37 PM

Just by the length of that wall of text, and the language in the little bit I skimmed.... "someone" is pretty obvious.

I wonder.  :rolleyes:

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#16 mikefromottawa

mikefromottawa

Toy Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Collectibles, Audio/Video, Finance, Whiskey, Gardening, Gaming, Following my wife while she shops

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:46 AM

I have had the same dilemma with a bunch of different toys and even some video games.  IF you know you will never try to resell it, then go ahead and enjoy it any way you see fit. Personally I find lots of my figures look better in the packaging, like McFarlane stuff and Disney Cars diecast pieces.  If you thing you might end up selling it, consider the depreciation in value.  It's not like the set is worthless once opened, just keep the box and packaging elsewhere in a safe environment.  Heck, I saw someone selling a torn piece of that box on ebay a few years ago for $100.  No idea if it ever sold or not. 

My Collection:

https://www.flickr.c...157669505016491

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com