33 replies to this topic

#1 warriorpriest

warriorpriest

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 09:21 AM

Is there any stl/cad files anywhere for Battle Beast figures or their weapons??

#2 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts
  • Interests:A little info on me I am a pretty big Forgotten Realms fan, I love R.A. Salvatore books. I love dragons! Lord of the Rings, Star Trek "Borgs Mostly", Battle Beasts. I love playing on the Computer, Fixing, Designing and just about everything with them. I collect Quinton Hoover Magic Cards, and artwork of him. Also some other favorite artists Greg Horn, Al Rio and Frank Cho and spending time with my wife and three daughters.

Posted 29 June 2020 - 10:45 AM

Is there any stl/cad files anywhere for Battle Beast figures or their weapons??

That would be cool if there were. But I have never seen any. 

I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.

#3 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 02 July 2020 - 03:27 AM

I'm actually working with a fellow to get some 3D scans of the original figures done.

He will make the files for sale when he gets them scanned. As I only currently had access to two of the figures, I will only be getting those two scanned. Ideally I'd like to get a good handful of them scanned for printing.

I don't know if I'll go the route of the weapons, too. He does the vintage Star Wars stuff, but seems to be missing weapons for every figure he has files for. Not sure if that's to prevent fakes flooding the market, or if he just doesn't have the weapons.

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#4 warriorpriest

warriorpriest

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 05:25 AM

I'm actually working with a fellow to get some 3D scans of the original figures done.
He will make the files for sale when he gets them scanned. As I only currently had access to two of the figures, I will only be getting those two scanned. Ideally I'd like to get a good handful of them scanned for printing.
I don't know if I'll go the route of the weapons, too. He does the vintage Star Wars stuff, but seems to be missing weapons for every figure he has files for. Not sure if that's to prevent fakes flooding the market, or if he just doesn't have the weapons.

Well I am making repro weapons, but not in original colors to avoid what you mentioned above. I had a buddy recreate the Panda's sword and I made it in clear red resin. It looks so nice in his hands. I also want to make replacement arms for people that do customs or just want to fix up a damaged beast. These arms will be different and in a solid color so there is no mistake on if it is legit or not.

#5 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts
  • Interests:A little info on me I am a pretty big Forgotten Realms fan, I love R.A. Salvatore books. I love dragons! Lord of the Rings, Star Trek "Borgs Mostly", Battle Beasts. I love playing on the Computer, Fixing, Designing and just about everything with them. I collect Quinton Hoover Magic Cards, and artwork of him. Also some other favorite artists Greg Horn, Al Rio and Frank Cho and spending time with my wife and three daughters.

Posted 06 July 2020 - 12:26 PM

Well I am making repro weapons, but not in original colors to avoid what you mentioned above. I had a buddy recreate the Panda's sword and I made it in clear red resin. It looks so nice in his hands. I also want to make replacement arms for people that do customs or just want to fix up a damaged beast. These arms will be different and in a solid color so there is no mistake on if it is legit or not.

That would be cool, because I can't tell you how many BB's I destroyed making customs back in the days. Would have been nice to have some replacement parts.

I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.

#6 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1852 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 08 July 2020 - 04:32 PM

I know there should be some 3D files around for certain figures because in the past there´s been a Blown Up Rabbit produced by OneShotToys which was scaled up like 5 times of the original size. And if I´m correct a few others have been trying to do something similar as well.

With 3D scanning and printing it becomes a whole lot easier to print replacement parts for broken figures so that´s definitely a solution I´d support.

And although at this moment in time, even though there are advanced 3D printers and techniques, I don´t think it´s a concern YET but having those files out there digitally can have quite an impact if people do start to print in colors identical to the originals. Luckily with the 3D software it shouldn´t be to hard to add a marking of some sort to the design in order to define it´s a 21st century 3D printed creation. This could prevent issues down the road with fellow and/or new collectors getting burned buying one as a vintage 80´s original figure.

Perfect, and if you´d be able to add a marking it would be even better!

Drop some pics when you have the time to share how the arms and weapons turned out.

Enjoy the Beasts!

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#7 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 03:25 PM

And although at this moment in time, even though there are advanced 3D printers and techniques, I don´t think it´s a concern YET but having those files out there digitally can have quite an impact if people do start to print in colors identical to the originals.

It will literally never be a concern. The materials used in 3D printing are not at all like the original figures. Even if they could match the material, it would be very time consuming to try and paint an identical replica. It would just be easier to find an original to sell, than to create fakes to sell at the prices originals go for. (Not worth the effort for most of the line.) The only real concern here would be high-end lasers, but even then it would still be a challenge to match an injection-molded toy.

Your most basic printers, FDM printers, literally cannot print without leaving layer lines. SLA printers can print without layer lines, but currently only use harder materials like resin. So again, not a concern.

Long story short: 3D printing is in no way a threat to any vintage toy line except for MAYBE in accessories.

The guy I'm working with has finished up the Platypus and I'll be printing some big ones off to customize. I'll be sure to post them to LRG. Next up is the Cuttlefish.

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#8 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 07:53 PM

I got my files for the Platypus and Cuttlefish.

Running off a big one at 6 inches. Going to take a little while to print.

Attached Files

<p> </p>
<p>

#9 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 07:42 AM

Printer didn't want to cooperate yesterday. The platypus failed so I switched over to the cuttlefish.

The splotches on the main body are my model filler. Got a little excited and couldn't wait to get started on it.

Overall: pretty good results. The 3D scanning process flattened some of the details, so to create a true duplicate, it would need somebody talented enough to essentially resculpt the details on the digital files.

Attached Files

<p> </p>
<p>

#10 warriorpriest

warriorpriest

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 10:04 AM

Printer didn't want to cooperate yesterday. The platypus failed so I switched over to the cuttlefish.
The splotches on the main body are my model filler. Got a little excited and couldn't wait to get started on it.
Overall: pretty good results. The 3D scanning process flattened some of the details, so to create a true duplicate, it would need somebody talented enough to essentially resculpt the details on the digital files.

What type of Printer are you running??
Did you make the stl files yourself? If so what brand of 3d scanner do you have?

#11 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 04:14 PM

I'm running a stock Creality CR-10. I'm not the guy scanning the files, just printing them.

Finished painting this bad boy! Featuring all two points of articulation.

I'll be getting more printed and available for sale down the road.

Attached Files

<p> </p>
<p>

#12 warriorpriest

warriorpriest

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 02:49 AM

I'm running a stock Creality CR-10. I'm not the guy scanning the files, just printing them.
Finished painting this bad boy! Featuring all two points of articulation.
I'll be getting more printed and available for sale down the road.

So how could I grab a cooy of said files??

#13 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 10:51 AM

He has them for sale on cults3d IIRC.

If you do a search for battle beasts stl you should find them easily. He goes by Desert Octopus.
<p> </p>
<p>

#14 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1852 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 16 July 2020 - 03:28 PM

Oh nice, so it´s you posting these on Instagram didn´t make that connection yet ;)

They look pretty badass, I assume they do weigh quit a bit?

It will literally never be a concern. The materials used in 3D printing are not at all like the original figures. Even if they could match the material, it would be very time consuming to try and paint an identical replica. It would just be easier to find an original to sell, than to create fakes to sell at the prices originals go for. (Not worth the effort for most of the line.) The only real concern here would be high-end lasers, but even then it would still be a challenge to match an injection-molded toy.

Your most basic printers, FDM printers, literally cannot print without leaving layer lines. SLA printers can print without layer lines, but currently only use harder materials like resin. So again, not a concern.

Long story short: 3D printing is in no way a threat to any vintage toy line except for MAYBE in accessories.

The MAYBE is reason enough to keep a concerning eye out on the developments when it comes to 3D printing.
I know that one you have a figure in hand you´ll be able to tell the difference between an original and a 3D print instantly but let´s not forget that 90-95% of the purchases made are based upon pics and this DOES open up the possibility to get tricked.

So the guard stays up but blown up sized Beast like that are awesome.

Enjoy the Beasts!

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#15 McCTXToys

McCTXToys

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 11:01 PM

Following.  Would love to see some weapons, especially new designs inspired by the originals.

#16 warriorpriest

warriorpriest

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 09:48 PM

Custom black Panda Swords. Close to the original but not exact.

Attached Files

Edited by warriorpriest, 18 July 2020 - 09:49 PM.

#17 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 09:45 AM

Oh nice, so it´s you posting these on Instagram didn´t make that connection yet ;)

They look pretty badass, I assume they do weigh quit a bit?

The MAYBE is reason enough to keep a concerning eye out on the developments when it comes to 3D printing.
I know that one you have a figure in hand you´ll be able to tell the difference between an original and a 3D print instantly but let´s not forget that 90-95% of the purchases made are based upon pics and this DOES open up the possibility to get tricked.

So the guard stays up but blown up sized Beast like that are awesome.

Enjoy the Beasts!

I will give you that the possibility exists for a person who is motivated enough to 3D scan a toy, generate the 3D mesh, touch it up, and print out perfect replicas has the ability to do it. What I'm also saying is that, from what I understand, 3D scanners that are worth their salt are thousands of dollars, and still require a decent amount of technical knowledge to operate said tech and then touch up the models. What I'm trying to say is that the amount of effort is significantly higher than a person making simple casts, and will not be the same material as the original toy in either case. I'm positive that people can be duped when buying things from a picture, but usually they will have paypal or ebay covering them if the item is a fake.

It's absolutely something to be mindful of, but I don't see it being a serious threat to collectors due to the effort involved.

All that out of the way, I'm happy that you like the finished products! I've got the printer running now to get some ready for sale, and I will have the Platypus down the line if anybody is more interested in that sculpt. I hope to work with this guy again and get more of the beasts scanned, with the eventual goal in the future being all 76 scanned. As I've said before I'm not sure if I want to scan the weapons just yet because there is a much higher chance for people to flood the market with those. I'm even open to it being a community decision because of that.

In regards to the weight, they are actually not heavy at all. PLA is a fairly lightweight material, which is what they will be made of. I also print my models with different levels of hollowness to cut down on print time and materials used. The machine creates essentially a support structure internally that keeps it from falling in on itself, and they are quite sturdy. With certain levels of infill, you'd need strong hands or a tool to be able to deliberately break it.

Following.  Would love to see some weapons, especially new designs inspired by the originals.

Duly noted! I hadn't thought about custom weapons. I'm still learning the 3D modelling programs, so my skills aren't where some people are, but Battle Beast weapons would be a good area to start!

Edited by Draznar, 21 July 2020 - 09:47 AM.

<p> </p>
<p>

#18 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 09:49 AM

Custom black Panda Swords. Close to the original but not exact.

Those swords look great! Are they printed or cast?

<p> </p>
<p>

#19 warriorpriest

warriorpriest

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 05:46 PM

Those swords look great! Are they printed or cast?

Print on my resin 3D printer.
So if I understand correctly, you had the guy scan two beasts for you? I take it that he is the guy that put the stl files for sale on cults3d?

#20 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 03:35 AM

Print on my resin 3D printer.

Looking good! I have plans for a resin printer down the line. With Covid-19 interrupting almost all of my 2020 plans, it will probably be a 2021 project now.

So if I understand correctly, you had the guy scan two beasts for you? I take it that he is the guy that put the stl files for sale on cults3d?

That is correct. He is trying to digitally scan as many vintage toys as he can, so I figured I'd help him out where I could.

Edited by Draznar, 27 July 2020 - 03:35 AM.

<p> </p>
<p>

#21 warriorpriest

warriorpriest

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 08:25 AM

Looking good! I have plans for a resin printer down the line. With Covid-19 interrupting almost all of my 2020 plans, it will probably be a 2021 project now.

That is correct. He is trying to digitally scan as many vintage toys as he can, so I figured I'd help him out where I could.

Awesome. I picked those up off cult 3d. The cuttlefish looks so good in clear red. Does he have plans to do anymore??

Attached Files

#22 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 10:01 AM

Dude, that looks amazing! How are the pegs holding up as resin? You're not helping me and my need for a resin printer here, hahaha!

He will scan anything that he has available and in due time. I sent him the figures back in March, and he just scanned them this month. This isn't his full-time job, plus the models require some work after being scanned. You probably noticed that the models themselves aren't even perfect. (Hoping my partner will touch them up for me in the future!) My goal is to try and get the Battle Beasts done. Laser Beasts are unlikely given the sheer number of beasts overall.

He actually doesn't even know what the Battle Beasts are, but I think there's a market for their files/prints. I'm hoping to spurn a little interest to show him it's worth his time and efforts to scan them all.

Here is a look at a couple of Cuttlefish figures I've printed. I've got some more colours planned, and these will all be up for sale soon, for anyone interested.
Attached File  IMG_20200728_134147_136.jpg   145.04K   12 downloads

<p> </p>
<p>

#23 warriorpriest

warriorpriest

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 05:37 AM

The pegs are good. With resin printing you have to do a final cure under UV light. I inserted the arms before the final cure.
I had some other questions so I want to send you a PM.

#24 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 07:45 AM

Two failed prints this morning turned into one successful custom! Glow pic is unedited/unfiltered.

Attached File  20200729_111349.jpg   110.65K   12 downloads
Attached File  20200729_111313.jpg   44.82K   7 downloads
<p> </p>
<p>

#25 warriorpriest

warriorpriest

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 03:51 AM

Two failed prints this morning turned into one successful custom! Glow pic is unedited/unfiltered.
  20200729_111349.jpg
  20200729_111313.jpg

That is so cool.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com